PDA

View Full Version : Josh Allen is broken

Novacane
10-22-2023, 01:28 PM
And has been since Dorsey took over. Don't wait until the offseason to correct this!

Historian
10-22-2023, 01:32 PM
He looks defeated.

Like someone killed his dog.

ParanoidAndroid
10-22-2023, 01:35 PM
Dorsey has to go.

He's not a "system" QB.

He needs to play like he was meant to play.

Taking him out of the running game has killed this offense.

Mr. Pink
10-22-2023, 01:45 PM
The o-line is just as big of a problem.

We have turnstiles in front of Allen.

Mad Max
10-22-2023, 01:49 PM
The o-line is just as big of a problem.

We have turnstiles in front of Allen.
I was about to say the same.

the OL is still mediocre after all these years with Josh.
both our tackles are liabilities, Brown is garbage in pass pro and Dawkins is mediocre in pass protection

kingJofNYC
10-22-2023, 02:00 PM
Back to back misses to start the half to a wide open Diggs, one for a TD.

Just bad QB play.

kingJofNYC
10-22-2023, 02:04 PM
Also, remember when Nova wanted Daboll fired, now Allen is broken since Daboll left, good times! LOL

Novacane
10-22-2023, 02:12 PM
Also, remember when Nova wanted Daboll fired, now Allen is broken since Daboll left, good times! LOL

No you don't. If you do prove it. You just want to blame everything on Allen. You always have been a hater.

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-22-2023, 02:13 PM
And has been since Dorsey took over. Don't wait until the offseason to correct this!

But who would replace Dorsey?

Turf
10-22-2023, 02:14 PM
Gabe was wide open in the flat on 4th down. Don't know what Josh was thinking.

kingJofNYC
10-22-2023, 02:27 PM
No you don't. If you do prove it. You just want to blame everything on Allen. You always have been a hater.

Was a hater when he sucked, now he's sucking again, so I'm going to "hate" aka criticize. I'll find receipts once search actually works. There were plenty of times you called for Dabolls head.

OpIv37
10-22-2023, 03:15 PM
The telling thing about Allen was that first INT.

Dorsey sucks. The OL sucks. But that play was completely on him. The RB (Cook I think) was open for a short gain but he had to play hero ball and it set the tone for the whole game.

He’s been making that same mistake his whole career. He just won’t learn.

Turf
10-22-2023, 04:30 PM
I think this website is broken.

Novacane
10-22-2023, 04:33 PM
Was a hater when he sucked, now he's sucking again, so I'm going to "hate" aka criticize. I'll find receipts once search actually works. There were plenty of times you called for Dabolls head.

You hated him from day 1.

Novacane
10-22-2023, 04:34 PM
The telling thing about Allen was that first INT.

Dorsey sucks. The OL sucks. But that play was completely on him. The RB (Cook I think) was open for a short gain but he had to play hero ball and it set the tone for the whole game.

He’s been making that same mistake his whole career. He just won’t learn.

We can't call it hero ball every time he throws an INT. That was just stupidly staring at the guy he was going to throw to the entire play.

sukie
10-22-2023, 05:06 PM
And it was a TE deep… it was a forced play. Shoulda checked down.

penalties are brutal

drops are an issue

allen was wild today. Overthrows all over.

I was the biggest proponent for hoping Daboll would be poached. He was frustrating especially in the Redzone but between the 20s his offense was at least fun.

Mace
10-22-2023, 06:37 PM
Allen was 17/17 on pass attempts under 2.6 seconds, and 10/24 with more time. Interesting.

OpIv37
10-22-2023, 06:42 PM
We can't call it hero ball every time he throws an INT. That was just stupidly staring at the guy he was going to throw to the entire play.

The reason it’s hero ball is because he had someone wide open for a short gain. It was 1st and 10 on the first possession of the game. There’s no reason to try for a big play in that situation. Take the easy play and keep the ball moving.

YardRat
10-22-2023, 06:43 PM
Allen is still mostly to blame, the guy has the most turnovers in the league since he entered in 2018...most of those years with Daboll.

However, Dorsey and McD have neutered the offense and Allen to the point where they are doing the opponent's job for them.

Thurmal
10-22-2023, 07:40 PM
Allen's turnovers are akin to Babe Ruth's strikeouts, in my opinion. I dont mind them when he is freewheeling and has a ratio of 3:1 good plays to bad plays.

kingJofNYC
10-22-2023, 09:50 PM
Allen's turnovers are akin to Babe Ruth's strikeouts, in my opinion. I dont mind them when he is freewheeling and has a ratio of 3:1 good plays to bad plays.
I'd agree with that, but the explosive plays have disappeared downfield. Like he missed a wide open Diggs for a TD, then missed him again on the next rep.

You're going to have turnovers with Josh, we all know that at this point, but we're not getting explosive plays. Like the Diggs Int London, at least he's trying to get an explosive play out of it, but today's Int, bull****. Had a guy wide open in the flat, like he wasn't pushing for some explosive play, would have been 15 yards at best. Just stupidity.

Woodman
10-23-2023, 09:43 PM

Just bad QB play.

That was terrible and unreal because it was Diggs that he didn't see.

Woodman
10-23-2023, 09:45 PM
We'll all take that.

Woodman
10-23-2023, 09:47 PM
Agreed.

Woodman
10-23-2023, 09:50 PM
Allen was 17/17 on pass attempts under 2.6 seconds, and 10/24 with more time. Interesting.

Yes it is indeed .... what does that tell you?

sahlensguy
10-24-2023, 06:52 AM

Maybe Allen was always broken.

A couple of times, it seemed that Josh deserved the MVP award. He did it all.

And there's the rub. Josh did it all. Who did he make better? Outside of Diggs, they've all sucked. Every one of them. Maybe it's them, maybe it's Josh unable to make those around him better.

It was always 'all about Josh', because he's broken.

Or Beane hasn't hit on an offensive player, outside of Diggs, ever.

Ingtar33
10-24-2023, 07:28 AM
Maybe Allen was always broken.

A couple of times, it seemed that Josh deserved the MVP award. He did it all.

And there's the rub. Josh did it all. Who did he make better? Outside of Diggs, they've all sucked. Every one of them. Maybe it's them, maybe it's Josh unable to make those around him better.

It was always 'all about Josh', because he's broken.

Or Beane hasn't hit on an offensive player, outside of Diggs, ever.

this is nonsense. football is a team game. josh can't throw for 4000 yards and 40 tds and "not make anyone else better" that's jsut nonsense. that's the type of thing you CAN say for basketball, because there are 5 guys on the court, and it's entirely possible for one dude to "do it all" and make the collective worse. it's not really that possible in football.

What you might be trying to say is Josh isn't able to carry a middling team to a superbowl, which is fine, almost no one can. Maybe payton manning could... the second colts superbowl team might have been the worst looking team i've ever seen, yet he nearly got them the ring that year.

Personally I think any other QB in the league (yes even patrick mahomes) doesn't do any better then josh did with this team, that might be the homer in me, but i watched this kid hard carry this team going on 4 years straight now.

we're at the point right now that if josh doesn't play at NFL MVP level we simply won't win. seriously think about that. His game against the pats was pretty good. hell he nearly got us a win in the last 11 seconds after the defense folded. He hit diggs in the numbers 50 yards down field with 4 seconds left and a timeout. if diggs doesn't drop that ball we get one play from the 30 to try to win... Yeah, he wasn't sharp but he wasn't bad either. His mechanics are all ****ed up though. I could tell when he was going to overthrow it or throw it high just watching him throw the ball. whatever has happened that needs to be fixed. but he gave us MVP josh for the last 20 minutes of that game. and it wasn't enough because this team can't win without MVP play from it's QB.

no other team in the league needs that level of play from it's QB every down every game.

sahlensguy
10-24-2023, 07:46 AM
this is nonsense. football is a team game. josh can't throw for 4000 yards and 40 tds and "not make anyone else better" that's jsut nonsense. that's the type of thing you CAN say for basketball, because there are 5 guys on the court, and it's entirely possible for one dude to "do it all" and make the collective worse. it's not really that possible in football.

What you might be trying to say is Josh isn't able to carry a middling team to a superbowl, which is fine, almost no one can. Maybe payton manning could... the second colts superbowl team might have been the worst looking team i've ever seen, yet he nearly got them the ring that year.

Personally I think any other QB in the league (yes even patrick mahomes) doesn't do any better then josh did with this team, that might be the homer in me, but i watched this kid hard carry this team going on 4 years straight now.

Yeah, maybe that's just the homer in you.

Maybe outside of hero ball, Josh isn't a great quarterback.

He's a questionable game manager.

Does he get rid of the ball early to the open receiver?

Is he hitting receivers in stride?

Man, he looks his best under duress.

The easy stuff isn't often enough. When he could put his teammates in a position to succeed he took often holds them back. Thank God for Diggs.

Historian
10-24-2023, 07:52 AM
The world is coming to an end.....this is twice I've agreed with Ingtar in two days.

The pressure they lay on Allen is kind of like the pressure the fish laid on Marino....Go out and pass us to a win.

It is a team game.

This team has many catastrophic injuries, and Allen is dinged up as well.

Now Knox is done.

That makes teams even more likely to double Diggs, although it seemed Kincaid had his breakout game last week.

Shakir is a non-factor.

Gabe Davis has been a colossal disappointment.

Add to that, most teams are now putting a spy on Allen.

I think it took three years, but most teams have figured out how to defend the Daboll/Dorsey offense:

Heavy pressure, spy on Josh, double on Diggs, because after him, there isn't much else.

sahlensguy
10-24-2023, 07:55 AM
The world is coming to an end.....this is twice I've agreed with Ingtar in two days.

The pressure they lay on Allen is kind of like the pressure the fish laid on Marino....Go out and pass us to a win.

It is a team game.

This team has many catastrophic injuries, and Allen is dinged up as well.

Now Knox is done.

That makes teams even more likely to double Diggs, although it seemed Kincaid had his breakout game last week.

Shakir is a non-factor.

Gabe Davis has been a colossal disappointment.

Add to that, most teams are now putting a spy on Allen.

I think it took three years, but most teams have figured out how to defend the Daboll/Dorsey offense:

Heavy pressure, spy on Josh, double on Diggs, because after him, there isn't much else.

Apologist!

Woodman
10-24-2023, 10:58 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7nqcgUDoV_M?si=__yBU-UE0beVitXr" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ParanoidAndroid
10-24-2023, 12:36 PM
Teams know Josh will get impatient and force things. If he sticks with the shorties, they have to start bringing the safeties in. That is, as long as the run game is working, too. But he never sticks with it long enough and defenses have caught on.

That first play on Sunday has been picked three times now. Three! How about we put that one away for awhile?

Luisito23
10-24-2023, 12:52 PM
That first play on Sunday has been picked three times now. Three! How about we put that one away for awhile?

The guy never learns, and it will continue until he's no longer here.

Goobylal
10-24-2023, 12:52 PM
Maybe, but not permanently.

cas22
10-24-2023, 01:22 PM

Just bad QB play.

yes they need to trade him... bad QB play

notacon
10-24-2023, 01:27 PM
This place is toxic.

sahlensguy
10-24-2023, 01:27 PM

Honestly, if the season keeps going like it is and they don't fire McD, they should trade Josh while they still can get a mint for him. Josh is and has been on an island under these coaches and it's an island that he can't get off of himself while McD is here.

sahlensguy
10-24-2023, 01:29 PM
This place is toxic.

And you're the harbinger of sanity?

Forward_Lateral
10-24-2023, 01:31 PM
Teams know Josh will get impatient and force things. If he sticks with the shorties, they have to start bringing the safeties in. That is, as long as the run game is working, too. But he never sticks with it long enough and defenses have caught on.

I mean, maybe don't even call the play then?? Coaches have just as much to do with Josh's struggles as Josh does. Tell him be careful, don't run, don't take hits, don't turn the ball over, don't do this, take the easy stuff, blah blah blah

Let the guy play. Live with it if he makes a mistake. He's much better when he's fearless than he is when he's worried about turnovers.

- - - Updated - - -

This place is toxic.

Being a Bills fan has become toxic.

Woodman
10-24-2023, 02:18 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iOxwwr1k4Dc?si=mh4IHEgiKdMmqPRW" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ghz in pittsburgh
10-24-2023, 03:02 PM
I do think the first INT impacted Josh the whole game: he didn't trust his eyes until we got to late in the game and he just let the ball go --- I remember Flutie said after the comeback win against Jimmy Johnson's Dolphins back then: "I made my mind just throwing the ball, whatever happens happens". To be honest, that happens to a lot of QBs when trailing late.

The INT happened on a simple high/low concept where the defender was in conflict. It is one of the staple of Bills offense when Josh came to the Bills and he usually does not need the defender to be completely committed to one of the guys he's covering because Josh can throw the bullet that a weak arm QB's pass might be easily defended. In that play, the Pats is well aware of Allen's tendencies and faked to cover the short guy but raced back to cover Knox. Knox was free; I think Allen didn't believe the defender was too far to defend the ball and didn't make the throw to go over his head. If it was a tipped INT or mis-communications, he probably would shrug it off. But it was something supposed to be there, thus making him hesitate the rest of the way. I might add in the past, when in doubt he runs. this year, the objective is to find solution other than QB run, it is a painful transition. I might add it might be painful transition for the whole year, combined with the kind of injuries we had on defense ...

Woodman
10-24-2023, 03:10 PM
It's absolutely critical for Josh to start with positive results .... work toward that .... script it for the 1st 6 or 7 plays .... use the confidence building block approach .... get em loose and look out.

I'm wondering how accurately they do their film study.

This really shouldn't be that tough.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-24-2023, 03:34 PM
I have a lot of people here in Pittsburgh telling me that when Allen is bad in a game, he stays bad. There are some truth to it. When Allen sees things clearly, he's on and usually the Bills blow teams out. Otherwise, it is the opposite until desperate time where he just plays like the last 2 minute drill - anything goes, sometime good result, sometime really bad result. I actually think the Pats game is in the good result category; defense didn't hold up.

Mahomes/Burrow, on the other hand, will have bad stretches of a game, but somehow they snap out it in time to make the defense comfortable, especially Mahomes. Allen is a veteran now I don't know how much he'll change his game. I feel it will have to be one of those years the Bills D get some new talent and become really strong (and minimal injury luck) to allow Allen & offense to work thru bad stretches for a true superbowl run. Unfortunately I don't see this is the year even though it is still early.

sahlensguy
10-24-2023, 04:18 PM
I have a lot of people here in Pittsburgh telling me that when Allen is bad in a game, he stays bad. There are some truth to it. When Allen sees things clearly, he's on and usually the Bills blow teams out. Otherwise, it is the opposite until desperate time where he just plays like the last 2 minute drill - anything goes, sometime good result, sometime really bad result. I actually think the Pats game is in the good result category; defense didn't hold up.

Mahomes/Burrow, on the other hand, will have bad stretches of a game, but somehow they snap out it in time to make the defense comfortable, especially Mahomes. Allen is a veteran now I don't know how much he'll change his game. I feel it will have to be one of those years the Bills D get some new talent and become really strong (and minimal injury luck) to allow Allen & offense to work thru bad stretches for a true superbowl run. Unfortunately I don't see this is the year even though it is still early.

Thing is that Josh always brought an 'it ain't over til it's over' attitude. He always gave us hope when down that he would lead the team to pull out a win. That's the hero ball I guess but Josh does have 16 4th quarter comebacks and 12 game winning drivers to his credit. We loved him for it but the hope isn't blazzing right now.

kingJofNYC
10-24-2023, 05:57 PM

Didn't say he needed to be traded, but there was some bad QB play. From setting protections, to missing hot reads, to missing a wide open TD. This team is relevant because of Josh, and when he's not up to par it's bad football.

Mace
10-24-2023, 07:43 PM
Yes it is indeed .... what does that tell you?

It tells me that his rifle arm is unstoppable in fast plays and his receivers catch them, and he's not overthinking on them and they aren't either, and they're gaining yards. A vicious short to intermediate passing game at a fast pace wears out defenders, makes them twitchy to overcommit, and opens up running lanes for a fast back like Cook or a pounder like Murray to soften them more, and the long ball when everyone suddenly goes downfield after carving yards relentlessly. It needs receivers like Kincaid, Diggs, Cook, Harty fast with sure hands to zip downfield and curl to meet the approaching ball. It's not revolutionary.

DraftBoy
10-25-2023, 01:40 PM
I mean, maybe don't even call the play then?? Coaches have just as much to do with Josh's struggles as Josh does. Tell him be careful, don't run, don't take hits, don't turn the ball over, don't do this, take the easy stuff, blah blah blah

Let the guy play. Live with it if he makes a mistake. He's much better when he's fearless than he is when he's worried about turnovers.

- - - Updated - - -

Being a Bills fan has become toxic.

If we can’t call a simple route combo like an underneath flat and corners route because the QB can’t read it then we have massive issues that we’re not even beginning to talk about.

I don’t think that’s the case, but the answer isn’t just don’t call that route combo because it’s supposed to be a high percentage decision.

notacon
10-25-2023, 02:39 PM
Josh is not even close to being "broken". How silly.

As is the idea that he has to play MVP level to bolster a middling level team. I think that's total baloney!!

This is a championship level roster.

What is holding the Bils back is Josh making dumb, boneheaded mistakes WAY too often. It is readily apparent that THE biggest difference between the CHiefs and the Bills is that Mahomes hardly EVER makes boneheaded, glaringly bad mistakes. The kind of ones that Josh makes all the time.

The good news is that this is eminently and extremely realistically VERY fixable.

When Josh plays mistake free football (not superman ball) ...the Bills almost always win. We may need MVP level of play when meeting the best teams, and especially during the playoffs, but not every game.

We've seen this reality time and again. Less than spectacular but (mostly) mistake free football and it's enough to beat most teams.

Certainly an objective look at every loss the past two years reflect that reality.

notacon
10-25-2023, 02:44 PM
I was about to say the same.

the OL is still mediocre after all these years with Josh.
both our tackles are liabilities, Brown is garbage in pass pro and Dawkins is mediocre in pass protection

What baloney.

I'm sure that every one will be ecstatic to hear that the best Bills beat reporter, Joe Buscgalia, is back from "maternity leave". Here is what he wrote in his fantastic series of "All-22" film review.

All-22 review: Did Josh Allen hold the Bills’ offense back against Patriots? (https://theathletic.com/4996522/2023/10/25/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-2/)

Despite some pressure, the offensive line held up well

With how Allen had to scramble within the pocket at times, the initial thought is that the offensive line struggled considerably against the Patriots. But after reviewing the All-22, while there were maybe two or three instances of a flat-out one-on-one pass-rushing win over a Bills offensive lineman, much of the pressure came from delayed blitzes, overloading the number of blockers by sending more rushers, some issues with Allen calling for sliding the protection the proper way and with Allen hanging on to the ball a bit longer than he should have at times along with escaping the pocket, which lessened the chance of holding on to the block.

In one-on-one pass-blocking situations with Allen in the pocket, the Bills offensive linemen generally thrived. The starting five has continued to be a strength, with left tackle Dion Dawkins (https://theathletic.com/nfl/player/dion-dawkins-1Z8oWXcTMIFRAxyr/), left guard Connor McGovern (https://theathletic.com/nfl/player/connor-mcgovern-oRAhJJELvqRozWVu/) and right guard O’Cyrus Torrence (https://theathletic.com/nfl/player/ocyrus-torrence-CQroAjzlrXD743eH/) continuing to stack solid performances. Right tackle Spencer Brown (https://theathletic.com/nfl/player/spencer-brown-fKBZYSpL1uQKMlKd/) also had a good day pass blocking after one early beat around the edge. Although it wasn’t nearly the overwhelming and dominant performance that this year’s starting five have seen at times this season, it wasn’t a horrible outing either. This is still a good pass-blocking unit, and the best Allen has had since he entered the league in 2018.

Astute, expert and objective analysis.

JoeMama
10-26-2023, 12:51 AM
The Bills will be better by the end of the season.

If you’re a fan, you know the Bills are an analog for love in all its complicated variations. And each time they confound you and surprise you, hurt you and heal you, remember why you loved the Bills in the first place.

We have time to get better. We were 7-6 in our 2021 campaign at one point. And that’s the year everyone says we could have won it all. Hold on.

ParanoidAndroid
10-26-2023, 11:34 AM

If you’re a fan, you know the Bills are an analog for love in all its complicated variations. And each time they confound you and surprise you, hurt you and heal you, remember why you loved the Bills in the first place.

We have time to get better. We were 7-6 in our 2021 campaign at one point. And that’s the year everyone says we could have won it all. Hold on.
I agree but I will say one thing.

Josh Allen was the main driver of that success.

Set him free.

notacon
10-26-2023, 11:39 AM

Kinda like a spousal relationship over decades....three+ decades for me!!

Woodman
10-27-2023, 08:58 AM
Kinda like a spousal relationship over decades....three+ decades for me!!

In my 6th decade.

Chet
10-27-2023, 09:40 AM

They can’t be much worse after 4 weeks (+?) of uninspired football. In 2021, we also had Brian Daboll and played in a much weaker division

sukie
10-27-2023, 09:57 AM
They can’t be much worse after 4 weeks (+?) of uninspired football. In 2021, we also had Brian Daboll and played in a much weaker division

Daboll had his own Redzone issues relying on hocus locus to score.

I thought last night the O looked very inspired. Just faltered by play calling at the 1. Bills controlled the game but failed to punch it in… that can be fixed.

there were some bad calls like the snap at end of 3rd… why.

1/2 yard line and you DON’T do the shove play? There was a bit of forcing to Diggs but Shakir had a career game. Davis was as billed by the hopeful after that 13 sec game. Cook is a huge upgrade. Kincaid was NOT a whiff pick. Josh is really starting to be comfortable with him. Dude has incredible hands. Did anyone miss Knox?

I will say I am warming up to the idea of a run game coordinator. Especially when your OC is former QB.

sahlensguy
10-27-2023, 10:07 AM

I thought last night the O looked very inspired. Just faltered by play calling at the 1. Bills controlled the game but failed to punch it in… that can be fixed.

1/2 yard line and you DON’T do the shove play? There was a bit of forcing to Diggs but Shakir had a career game. Davis was as billed by the hopeful after that 13 sec game. Cook is a huge upgrade. Kincaid was NOT a whiff pick. Josh is really starting to be comfortable with him. Dude has incredible hands. Did anyone miss Knox?

I will say I am warming up to the idea of a run game coordinator. Especially when your OC is former QB.

They played inspired, got up by two tds and then thought they needed to placate Diggs. Went downhill from there.

sukie
10-27-2023, 10:20 AM
They should have been up more but for Redzone butchery.

The Diggs thing I understand but it was so obvious.

Woodman
10-27-2023, 10:35 AM
They played inspired, got up by two tds and then thought they needed to placate Diggs. Went downhill from there.

Right on ..... it was stupid.

If it ain't broke. :idunno:

sahlensguy
10-27-2023, 10:48 AM
Right on ..... it was stupid.

If it ain't broke. :idunno:

Kincaid had one reception after they started going to Diggs. It might have been after his TD, even. One reception. It was completion on a third down, two yards short.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-27-2023, 12:00 PM

I trust my eyes watching Kincaid. Tony Gonzalex on the set kept raving about him. The guy is very smooth running routes and great hands catching the ball - all without any wasted steps/motion. Bottomline, a natural. Next year I expect him to be our second offensive weapon option after Diggs. That's of course he has his head on his shoulder straight and does his off-season work as we all expect.

Having said, I do think Knox is still needed. Kincaid is not a natural for blocking. I hope the Bills staff not forcing him to devote 80% of his time on improving blocking. He just need to be adequate, not even average, in that department so that defense cannot key on him for plays (such as giveaways that the Bills are not going to run or run in his direction when he's on the field). Cook is the best RB on this team without question. But Cook's snap is not as high because he really s**ks at blocking. I think yesterday we miss Knox in the redzone for blocking and TD routes.

sahlensguy
10-27-2023, 12:11 PM
I trust my eyes watching Kincaid. Tony Gonzalex on the set kept raving about him. The guy is very smooth running routes and great hands catching the ball - all without any wasted steps/motion. Bottomline, a natural. Next year I expect him to be our second offensive weapon option after Diggs. That's of course he has his head on his shoulder straight and does his off-season work as we all expect.

Having said, I do think Knox is still needed. Kincaid is not a natural for blocking. I hope the Bills staff not forcing him to devote 80% of his time on improving blocking. He just need to be adequate, not even average, in that department so that defense cannot key on him for plays (such as giveaways that the Bills are not going to run or run in his direction when he's on the field). Cook is the best RB on this team without question. But Cook's snap is not as high because he really s**ks at blocking. I think yesterday we miss Knox in the redzone for blocking and TD routes.

Knox is paid more than to just block but that was why #68 was reporting tackle eligible. Poor results.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-27-2023, 12:59 PM
Knox is paid more than to just block but that was why #68 was reporting tackle eligible. Poor results.

When a defense sees #88 in #68's position, they have to worry about #88 goes out to catch the ball in the endzone. #68 just does not provide that complexity to them.

sahlensguy
10-27-2023, 01:08 PM
When a defense sees #88 in #68's position, they have to worry about #88 goes out to catch the ball in the endzone. #68 just does not provide that complexity to them.

Yes, obviously #68 is nothing more than a trick play option there. they still needed an extra blocker with Knox out. Unfortunately Knox isn't worth his contract, nor is the best TE on the team. Good option in the red zone though.

sukie
10-27-2023, 01:29 PM
Knox being replaced by another blocking TE for far less that 10.5 million seems to be the correct answer. Knox is over paid for his mid 50s percent catch rate.

sahlensguy
10-27-2023, 01:43 PM
Knox's injury is a blessing in disguise.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-27-2023, 02:19 PM
Knox's injury is a blessing in disguise.
I won't say a blessing but it did force the Bills, at least last night, to go 11 personnel a lot more like in Josh's earlier years. A saw a lot more crossing routes like years of past. The difference is that the middle of the field routes where Beasley used to own are shared among Kincaid and Davis, not who we expected (Shakir).

notacon
10-28-2023, 11:43 AM
Knox being replaced by another blocking TE for far less that 10.5 million seems to be the correct answer. Knox is over paid for his mid 50s percent catch rate.

It's going to be tough to move on from Knox until after 2024 season.

According to Overthecap (https://overthecap.com/player/dawson-knox/7887), his cap hit balloons in 2024 to $14.4M (from 2023 $6.4M). As does his guaranteed salary.....$8.5M in 2024, $1.9M 2023.

If they get someone to take him with trade (before June 1, 2024) there is a $11.7M dead cap hit....and the new team takes on that $14.4M cap hit.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, the Bills are stuck with him until after 2024.

Woodman
10-28-2023, 02:40 PM
I won't say a blessing but it did force the Bills, at least last night, to go 11 personnel a lot more like in Josh's earlier years. A saw a lot more crossing routes like years of past. The difference is that the middle of the field routes where Beasley used to own are shared among Kincaid and Davis, not who we expected (Shakir).
Spot on ! :gobills:

ghz in pittsburgh
10-28-2023, 02:41 PM
It will be sily to move on from Knox. Not until Kincaid gets paid.

Look at where we are right now. One gets hurt and we still have a quality one to run 11 personnel.

Woodman
10-28-2023, 09:33 PM
It's going to be tough to move on from Knox until after 2024 season.

We are not even close to considering it imo.

What's his timetable for a return to the field?