PDA

View Full Version : Honest question

Thurmal
10-27-2023, 08:34 AM
If Rex Ryan, Doug Marrone, Chan Gailey, Gregg Williams, or Dick Jauron had Allen and Diggs, how different would their Buffalo stories be?

Why does McDermott get credit for turning the franchise around when he simply lucked into a probable HOF QB and WR that his predecessors never had?

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-27-2023, 08:42 AM
If Rex Ryan, Doug Marrone, Chan Gailey, Gregg Williams, or Dick Jauron had Allen and Diggs, how different would their Buffalo stories be?

Why does McDermott get credit for turning the franchise around when he simply lucked into a probable HOF QB and WR that his predecessors never had?
I’m a ‘fire McDermott guy’
but the biggest reason, to answer your question is 2017
that team was a steaming pile of garbage
taylor at qb
a near washed up shady
an o line consisting of vlad ****ing ducasse
etc etc
he inspired that dog**** team to the playoffs

sahlensguy
10-27-2023, 08:44 AM
That's a lot of defensive minded head coaches. Damn.

Forward_Lateral
10-27-2023, 08:48 AM

Who knows. Who cares.

Rex Ryan had 2 good seasons in his head coaching career. Both because of his defense. He wouldn't now offense if it bit him in the fat ass

Marrone shouldn't even be on this list. He is a nobody, and did nothing.

Gailey was an offensive guru, I will give you this, but he was a terrible head coach. He also did nothing in his entire coaching career.

Gregg Williams is an idiot

Dick Jauron makes McDermott look like he needs a wheelbarrow to carry his balls around in.

Historian
10-27-2023, 08:53 AM

Interesting question Thermal.

Ryan would still lead the league in penalties, costing as many wins as Allen would net him.

Marrone would probably benefit from Allen a bit, most of the five.

Gailey simply isn't a head coach. Maybe he should be our next OC.

Williams was just a dickhead. He had Bledsoe who set a team record with Moulds and Price, and still couldn't rise above 8-8.

Mularkey might be able to beat Pittsburgh's third string, to reach 10-6.

Jauron would still punt from the opponent's 32.

I don't think it helps much.

We can criticize Opie all we want, but truth be told, he's much better than his predecessors.

And the gift shop manager would still be the GM.

:hangmyself:

sukie
10-27-2023, 08:55 AM
I’m lost on the above last sentence… but I agree with the post .

who cares? Really? What if I was 26 knowing what I know now? I would be rich as get all knowing to buy Tesla Amazon and Netflix

Novacane
10-27-2023, 08:59 AM
He'd be a DC somewhere if they'd taken a QB other than Josh Allen and that was Beane. McD should be fired for talking Pegula out of drafting Mahomes.

Forward_Lateral
10-27-2023, 08:59 AM
I’m lost on the above last sentence… but I agree with the post .

who cares? Really? What if I was 26 knowing what I know now? I would be rich as get all knowing to buy Tesla Amazon and Netflix

I would've bought Microsoft when I was 3

Novacane
10-27-2023, 09:00 AM
As to the question I think Gailey may have gotten better results. The other 4 are stooges.

Woodman
10-27-2023, 09:11 AM
Gailey with Josh and Diggs aboard would make a damn good O.C. .... as far as a great head coach goes i'm not convinced that would be the case.

Forget the others.

Buffalogic
10-27-2023, 09:15 AM
I'm not a fire McDermott guy but I would have loved to see what Chan Gailey would do with Josh.

Thurmal
10-27-2023, 09:32 AM
I’m a ‘fire McDermott guy’
but the biggest reason, to answer your question is 2017
that team was a steaming pile of garbage
taylor at qb
a near washed up shady
an o line consisting of vlad ****ing ducasse
etc etc
he inspired that dog**** team to the playoffs

That 2017 went 9-7. Marrone and Williams had that record but just weren't lucky enough to sneak into the postseason.

The year Marrone did it (2014), our defense was so good that Allen possibly gets them to the Super Bowl.

Thurmal
10-27-2023, 09:35 AM
Who knows. Who cares.

Rex Ryan had 2 good seasons in his head coaching career. Both because of his defense. He wouldn't now offense if it bit him in the fat ass

Marrone shouldn't even be on this list. He is a nobody, and did nothing.

Gailey was an offensive guru, I will give you this, but he was a terrible head coach. He also did nothing in his entire coaching career.

Gregg Williams is an idiot

Dick Jauron makes McDermott look like he needs a wheelbarrow to carry his balls around in.

Rex Ryan went to two AFC Championships with Mark Sanchez. Dick Jauron went 13-3 with Jim Miller. Doug Marrone was a terrible officiating call away from taking Blake Bortles to the Super Bowl.

Give all of them Allen - do they do any worse that McDermott?

ParanoidAndroid
10-27-2023, 09:39 AM
As to the question I think Gailey may have gotten better results. The other 4 are stooges.

Josh Allen would have been nuts in the pistol.

Gailey would have needed a top notch DC/asst HC like Schwartz.

That would have won a lot of games.

Forward_Lateral
10-27-2023, 09:42 AM
Rex Ryan went to two AFC Championships with Mark Sanchez. Dick Jauron went 13-3 with Jim Miller. Doug Marrone was a terrible officiating call away from taking Blake Bortles to the Super Bowl.

Give all of them Allen - do they do any worse that McDermott?
Yes, and I stated my reasons.

Thurmal
10-27-2023, 09:43 AM
Yes, and I stated my reasons.

Great. The question wasn't one about pining for coaches past. It's to put into perspective how inept our current coach is.

sukie
10-27-2023, 09:49 AM
Imagine what Mullarkey or he’ll Kay Stevenson woulda done with Josh.

Thurmal
10-27-2023, 10:06 AM
Imagine what Mullarkey or he’ll Kay Stevenson woulda done with Josh.

Josh Allen on the 2004 Mularkey Bills probably wins the Super Bowl that year.

sukie
10-27-2023, 10:11 AM
All coaches that have a homerun franchise QB have success tied directly to that QB

Landry had Staubach
Walsh had Montana
whoever in GB had Favre and Rodgers
Belichick had Brady. Not the genius without 12

cookie G
10-27-2023, 10:12 AM
You're making a few big assumptions, esp. with Jauron and Rexie. You're making the assumption that either would have Josh.

Both were more involved in their draft boards than they'd ever admit. They had far more control over the picks than they should have. Jauron showed up and the Bills...one year removed from a really pretty good Bills D, ended up using the first 5 picks on D. Only Kyle Williams ended up working out. He was a Cover 2 nutcase.

Rex took over the 4th ranked defense in the NFL and screwed it up royally. So the next draft, he ended up meddling in the draft and took...in succession, Shaq Lawson, Reggie Ragland and Adolf Washington...or something like that. (PS, that year I did a special mock draft, taking only small school players. my 2nd and 3rd round picks were Javon Hargrave and Matt Judon. )

THe point is, I wouldn't see either of them taking Allen. Jauron's type of QB was Trent Edwards, who he loved. Rex was...just a GM killer. He wasn't about to take Allen, much less trade up for him. We would have ended up with some edge rusher who busted or...Tremaine Edmunds. Even if he took a QB, it probably would have been Josh Rosen.

It isn't a coincidence that Jauron and Rex historically had pathetic O's, except an outlier year or two.

As to Chan, Marrone or even Mularkey, eh, it might have been interesting, esp. with Chan.

Chet
10-27-2023, 10:19 AM
McDermott got a lot of mileage out of breaking the drought, and to be fair I will always be thankful to him for that. But let us have those positive memories of him before it turns to unadulterated hatred for all his ineptitude since the 2020 AFCCG.

What made me excited and proud to have McDermott was the Tyrod Taylor benching for Nathan Peterman. It infamously backfired in spectacular fashion, but the balls it took to declare to that veteran team that the status quo wasn’t good enough and he wanted to win is what created that positive culture. Tyrod responded as best as his limited capabilities could and we got some help from Cincy to get in.

In 2018, with the least talented roster I can remember either due to cuts, youth, or over the hill players, he went to the unpolished prospect early on and the team scratched and clawed every week. Things could’ve gone off the rails fast with Leslie Frazier having to be benched (lol) and Vontae quitting after 6 disastrous quarters, but they played hard aside from all the Panther retreads. Went 6-10, and likely would’ve held on to beat Houston had Josh not got injured. Definitely should’ve held on to beat the Dolphins and Jets, so they were a scrappy team that probably would’ve won 2-4 games with most of the other former Bills coaches.

In 2019, man…probably the most proud I’ve been of a Bills team. Tough, bad-ass MF’ers who physically grinded down their opponents. Sean outcoached most of his counterparts this year and again the Bills overachieved relative to their talent.

In 2020, Josh made the meteoric leap and Daboll called some beautiful games. Bills D started to lose their toughness this year but they still had one of the funnest seasons of our lives. Who knew this would be the peak of their accomplishments {sigh}. Still, McD did a good enough coaching job until The AFCCG where he became a willing cuckold. For the record, the Chiefs were the better team and likely would’ve won anyways, but that call…..man, that call. Gutless doesn’t even begin to describe it.

Since 2021, this has been one of the dumbest and inconsistent football teams. Relying on Josh’s superhuman talents to overcome lack of strategy. The last month + playoffs of 2021 the Bills looked like their dominant 2020 selves, but McD/Frazier made sure to sabotage that opportunity in KC.

Normally entitlement and arrogance comes when you win something, so for the 3rd year in a row I’m asking where this sense of entitlement is coming from.

I don’t think any of those guys are winners as HC’s so doubt they could’ve done better than McD. With that said, I would’ve loved Rex as a DC from 2020-2022. He’s a crazy bastard who gets the most out of his players who would run through a wall for him, but I’d want him nowhere near the HC seat.

The rest of the guys on that list are plumbers masquerading as coaches

Mr. Pink
10-27-2023, 11:10 PM
Jauron was an overachiever everywhere he went.

He had terrible teams here and in Chicago and got more out of them than he ever should have.

The Bills literally had an expansion team talent level roster while he was here and still got them to 7-9.

Pair him with Allen and we go to a Super Bowl.

Mace
10-28-2023, 06:25 PM
Jauron was an overachiever everywhere he went.

He had terrible teams here and in Chicago and got more out of them than he ever should have.

The Bills literally had an expansion team talent level roster while he was here and still got them to 7-9.

Pair him with Allen and we go to a Super Bowl.

Yeah....I dunno, Pink. Jauron couldn't express himself properly and for a motivator coach his teams lost interest late, he was confounded and lost in game management, and found ways to lose games late because he had no killer instinct.....which actually sounds a lot like McDermott though McDermott speaks clearly with his catchphrases.

Thurmal.....I don't think any of them would have done better, McDermott is a more stable inept, the game passed all of them by, including McDermott.

Gailey....that would have been the best shot, but he didn't want to use young QB's unless he had to. Kaepernick for his pistol was the move there. And that was the pistol. I don't know that's Allen's best game.

I honestly don't know where we go from here, McDermott is cemented in his lack of innovation.

sukie
10-28-2023, 06:53 PM
What innovation is happening in The league the Bills are missing out on?

YardRat
10-28-2023, 07:04 PM
Wrecks Wryan would **** up a team with Tom Brady at QB, let alone Allen.

Mace
10-28-2023, 07:50 PM
What innovation is happening in The league the Bills are missing out on?

I hope you aren't serious in not thinking anyone adapts to anything. I mean really ?

Mr. Pink
10-28-2023, 08:13 PM
Yeah....I dunno, Pink. Jauron couldn't express himself properly and for a motivator coach his teams lost interest late, he was confounded and lost in game management, and found ways to lose games late because he had no killer instinct.....which actually sounds a lot like McDermott though McDermott speaks clearly with his catchphrases.

Difference is Jauron got way more out of the talent than he ever had any business getting. His QBs were Jim Miller, JP Losman and Trent Edwards over his career. None of his offenses had any talent on them. This is probably the most talented the Bills roster has been since 30 years ago and the guy in charge holds the talent back.

Jauron getting more out of the talent vs McDermott holding the talent back.

Plus, 13 seconds doesn't happen against a Jauron defense.

Forward_Lateral
10-28-2023, 08:23 PM
Anyone who thinks Dick Jauron was a good Head Coach needs to have their head examined

Mr. Pink
10-29-2023, 01:24 PM
Anyone who thinks Dick Jauron was a good Head Coach needs to have their head examined

Head Coach? No. DC? Yes.

And he was a hell of a motivator as evidenced by his weak talent teams overachieving.

Forward_Lateral
10-29-2023, 02:30 PM
Head Coach? No. DC? Yes.

And he was a hell of a motivator as evidenced by his weak talent teams overachieving.

The question was about head coaches, not coordinators

Woodman
10-30-2023, 10:19 AM
If Rex Ryan, Doug Marrone and Chan Gailey were in a hot tub together they would be talking about ________________ .

(fill in the blank)

Woodman
10-30-2023, 11:17 AM
If Rex Ryan, Doug Marrone and Chan Gailey were in a hot tub together they would be talking about ________________ .

(fill in the blank).

Rex would say let's see who has the prettiest feet fellas.

sahlensguy
10-30-2023, 11:23 AM
Rex would say let's see who has the prettiest feet fellas.

No. Boo!

Woodman
10-30-2023, 11:29 AM
No. Boo!

:rofl: Cringe worthy for sure.

Chet
10-30-2023, 02:06 PM

(fill in the blank)
How they would’ve handled 13 seconds differently

Woodman
10-30-2023, 02:11 PM
How they would’ve handled 13 seconds differently
they would of said something like _______________ .