View Full Version : NHL prospect dies by skate to the throat….:

Skooby
10-28-2023, 10:42 PM
It has been confirmed that Prospect Adam Johnson for the Pittsburgh Penguins has passed away due to taking a skate to the throat.

OpIv37
10-28-2023, 11:22 PM
Wow, that’s sad.

Malarchuk and Zednik must be having horrible PTSD.

ckg927
10-29-2023, 05:15 AM
That is NOT the news I wanted to see when I got up this morning. :(

In Malarchuk and Zednik's cases, they were both able to get off the ice quickly so treatment could begin in earnest.

Skooby
10-29-2023, 06:42 AM

In Malarchuk and Zednik's cases, they were both able to get off the ice quickly so treatment could begin in earnest.
Immensely sad, I can’t believe it happened again.

DetoxTent
10-29-2023, 06:51 AM
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/38770208/ex-nhl-player-adam-johnson-29-dies-freak-accident

Woodman
10-29-2023, 06:59 AM
Incredibly sad news .... condolences to his family and friends may he rest in peace.

ckg927
10-29-2023, 07:40 AM
Just an update: The Nottingham Panthers announced within the last hour or so that today's challenge cup game against Manchester(as well as all other games in the Elite League)and Tuesday night against Glasgow Clan have been postponed.

Dr. Lecter
10-29-2023, 12:22 PM

In this case, the skate was at the front of the throat and sliced both sides, so basically he was losing blood at twice the rate

JATMtheJATM
10-29-2023, 12:31 PM
I saw the video. Dude never had a chance. He took a kung fu kick to the throat. It's brutal. It's sad. Just.. god damn

sahlensguy
10-29-2023, 12:36 PM
That sucks. Sounds like two victims here. Terribly sad.

YardRat
10-29-2023, 12:40 PM
Horrible.

There has to be a way to require equipment to at least try and prevent these kinds of accidents happening.

JATMtheJATM
10-29-2023, 01:16 PM
Horrible.

There has to be a way to require equipment to at least try and prevent these kinds of accidents happening.

There are throat guards, but they aren't required beyond minor hockey

Dr. Lecter
10-29-2023, 03:54 PM
Horrible.

Yep

Just like helmets did not used to be required

Do it now before this happens again
Be proactive not reactive

ckg927
10-29-2023, 05:23 PM
Yep

Just like helmets did not used to be required

Do it now before this happens again
Be proactive not reactive

Agreed. And I don't know what the EIHL's policy is about having medical personnel on standby at all games, but it HAS to be strengthened.

Dr. Lecter
10-30-2023, 12:16 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Per Rochester head coach Seth Appert, the team has ordered additional neck guards along with the base layer shirt-neck guard combination.<br><br>Some players already have adopted them. <a href="https://t.co/eoCJIu1MLo">pic.twitter.com/eoCJIu1MLo</a></p>&mdash; PATRICK WILLIAMS (@pwilliamsAHL) <a href="https://twitter.com/pwilliamsAHL/status/1719032915349156244?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 30, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

JATMtheJATM
10-30-2023, 12:33 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Per Rochester head coach Seth Appert, the team has ordered additional neck guards along with the base layer shirt-neck guard combination.<br><br>Some players already have adopted them. <a href="https://t.co/eoCJIu1MLo">pic.twitter.com/eoCJIu1MLo</a></p>&mdash; PATRICK WILLIAMS (@pwilliamsAHL) <a href="https://twitter.com/pwilliamsAHL/status/1719032915349156244?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 30, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

For reference, we have cut proof socks you can buy.

ckg927
10-30-2023, 02:00 PM
The English Ice Hockey Association(which is the governing body for hockey in England and Wales)is making neck guards mandatory for all on-ice activities as of Dec. 31st. Due to expected supply issues, it isn't taking effect until then.

JATMtheJATM
10-30-2023, 03:56 PM
So, I wasn't looking for this. I stumbled on this.

There is a movement by racists for justice because the player whose skates got up is black and the victim is white. They are calling it murder and comparing it to the racial bias against whites like chauvin being found guilty.

I wish I was kidding

JATMtheJATM
11-01-2023, 05:32 PM
WHL is mandating throat guards for all players starting this Friday

Novacane
11-18-2023, 07:01 PM
I still haven't seen the video. I don't want to. What do you think of the guy being arrested?

JATMtheJATM
11-18-2023, 07:34 PM
I still haven't seen the video. I don't want to. What do you think of the guy being arrested?

We have a thread about it. But it's not in the right forum.

I've watched that play 20 times now.

The first time I watched it, I had no idea what I was looking at
The second time, I missed the injury, but figured out where to look.
The third, I saw it, but wasn't clear on what I saw
The fourth, I was in denial about what I saw.

The hit happens as the guy gets hip checked. His skate flies up and right into Johnson's neck. At first glance, it's easy to see how a leg would fly up like that. It was a high speed, glancing impact. But when he gets his leg up, he donkey kicks. He kicks outward. It looked really really.... Intentional.

Does this mean he meant to kill the guy? No.

On the other hand, at regular speed, everything happens so fast, it's hard for me to figure out how he had time to intentionally kick when the speed of everything happens so so fast.

OpIv37
11-18-2023, 07:52 PM
We have a thread about it. But it's not in the right forum.

I've watched that play 20 times now.

The first time I watched it, I had no idea what I was looking at
The second time, I missed the injury, but figured out where to look.
The third, I saw it, but wasn't clear on what I saw
The fourth, I was in denial about what I saw.

The hit happens as the guy gets hip checked. His skate flies up and right into Johnson's neck. At first glance, it's easy to see how a leg would fly up like that. It was a high speed, glancing impact. But when he gets his leg up, he donkey kicks. He kicks outward. It looked really really.... Intentional.

Does this mean he meant to kill the guy? No.

On the other hand, at regular speed, everything happens so fast, it's hard for me to figure out how he had time to intentionally kick when the speed of everything happens so so fast.
Here’s the thing for me: the kick is a thrusting motion in the direction of Johnson. If he wasn’t trying to kick Johnson, what’s the point of making the move at all? It’s not going to help him regain balance. It’s nowhere near the puck so it’s not a game-related move.

There wasn’t intent to murder but there was intent to harm that resulted in death. That’s the legal definition of voluntary manslaughter.

JATMtheJATM
11-19-2023, 12:19 AM
Here’s the thing for me: the kick is a thrusting motion in the direction of Johnson. If he wasn’t trying to kick Johnson, what’s the point of making the move at all? It’s not going to help him regain balance. It’s nowhere near the puck so it’s not a game-related move.

There wasn’t intent to murder but there was intent to harm that resulted in death. That’s the legal definition of voluntary manslaughter.

I agree.

But the one thing that gets me is everything for that to happen had to go right. So if he was TRYING to make a dirty play, how fast everything developed.... It's hard from me to wrap my head around. If you watch it in real time, he basically gets bumped, leg flies up, and the leg kicks outm in slow motion, it's easy to see it unfold. In real time? It's so fast.... It's almost unreal to consider he kicks out intentionally.

But I also have no reason for that kick out. That's not a move you'd make to keep your balance in that scenario.

So, again. I agree it looks intentional. I just can't wrap my head around how fast he would have had to make that decision considering all the unknown variables going into the bump and the subsequent kicking motion because it all happened so freaking fast

ckg927
11-19-2023, 06:27 AM

WAY overdone. That does not mean Petgrave will be charged, however.

jamze132
11-22-2023, 05:23 AM
So after an investigation the guy is arrested. Wonder if those two have a history.