PDA

View Full Version : Bills sign FA DT Linval Joseph

BillsFanCupp38
11-02-2023, 09:19 AM
Per buffalo bills.com

Woodman
11-02-2023, 09:23 AM
Over his 13 years in the NFL, the two-time Pro Bowler has started in 170 games and played in 179. He has racked up 25.5 sacks, 76 quarterback hits, 56 tackles for loss, eight forced fumbles, five fumble recoveries and 664 total tackles during his time in the league. Joseph also played in Super Bowl XLVI where the Giants defeated the Patriots in 2012.

He was originally drafted by the Giants in the second round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He played collegiately at East Carolina University and is from Saint Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands.

To make room for Joseph, CB Kaiir Elam was placed on injured reserve.

Forward_Lateral
11-02-2023, 09:24 AM
A pretty good move. Probably the best guy out there not named Suh

sukie
11-02-2023, 09:33 AM
At 35 he was still playing high level ball last year with the Eagles. A prototypical 1 tech which allows Oliver to be Oliver.

Chet
11-02-2023, 09:42 AM
Curious what kind of “game” shape he’s in, but don’t hate the half year rental, even if it is for up to 3+ mil

Novacane
11-02-2023, 09:44 AM
Its not my money being spent. It's worth a try.

Forward_Lateral
11-02-2023, 09:46 AM
Elam to IR. What a pick he's been

Chet
11-02-2023, 09:46 AM
To make room for Joseph, CB Kaiir Elam was placed on injured reserve.
Pretty sad that the best Elam to play in the NFL ended up being a kicker

BuffaloBlitz83
11-02-2023, 10:09 AM
Great Signing! I remember him being good on Giants

Bill Cody
11-02-2023, 10:12 AM
Nice move

Ed
11-02-2023, 10:23 AM
Good depth signing. It was nice to see Poonah Ford step it up and play well last game because Settle and Phillips have been disappointing.

ParanoidAndroid
11-02-2023, 10:26 AM
Okay. This should help that rotation, especially if it means a lot less Tim Settle.

sukie
11-02-2023, 10:40 AM
Pretty sad that the best Elam to play in the NFL ended up being a kicker

Jack Elam , although dead, also played better.

BuffaloBlitz83
11-02-2023, 10:44 AM
Bills GM Brandon Beane said on

@WGR550

that CB Rasul Douglas will be in full practice gear today. He's not ruling out that Douglas or new DT Linval Joseph could play in Sunday's game, but will have to see how they are doing.

Woodman
11-02-2023, 11:03 AM
Does this mean that Tim Settle can simma down nah?

Woodman
11-02-2023, 11:06 AM
Bills GM Brandon Beane said on

@WGR550

that CB Rasul Douglas will be in full practice gear today. He's not ruling out that Douglas or new DT Linval Joseph could play in Sunday's game, but will have to see how they are doing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pcFSOnumgZA?si=aY3w5hVWM8C53qNQ" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'll volunteer to work out it's go time baby !!

Mad Max
11-02-2023, 12:11 PM
Good signing. Even heavier than Daquan, could fit into rotation nicely to take up space/double teams let Oliver eat.

BuffaloBlitz83
11-02-2023, 12:25 PM
Beane go add ty hilton too. Probably for 100k

Saratoga Slim
11-02-2023, 12:30 PM
He may not offer as much as Daquan on passing downs. But he may offer more on running ones. It’s the piece we didn’t have at DT. Even if he’s only a role player, gives us the ability to stop the run when we need to. Right now I’m not sure we can.

Woodman
11-02-2023, 12:32 PM
And he's well rested :band: .... hopefully he can get right in there.

Woodman
11-02-2023, 12:39 PM

He'll be 42 November 4th I wonder :rofl:

daryls61
11-02-2023, 12:43 PM
BBB!! :bf1::bf1::bf1::punk::urock::cheers:

Woodman
11-02-2023, 12:49 PM
BBB!! :bf1::bf1::bf1::punk::urock::cheers:

notacon
11-02-2023, 02:03 PM
Excellent.

Mr. Pink
11-02-2023, 02:16 PM
He's nowhere near the player he once was. Age tends to do that to people. But he's better than what we had next to Oliver so an upgrade is an upgrade.

Just don't go into this expecting the 2017 best run stopper DT in the NFL version.

Woodman
11-02-2023, 02:33 PM
He's nowhere near the player he once was. Age tends to do that to people. But he's better than what we had next to Oliver so an upgrade is an upgrade.

Just don't go into this expecting the 2017 best run stopper DT in the NFL version.

Find me a Vince Wolfork clone .... in his prime of course.

But better is still better last time I checked so I'll take it.

Luisito23
11-02-2023, 02:52 PM
just don't go into this expecting the 2017 best run stopper DT in the NFL version.

Don't need him to be that...

We just needed a big, capable body, clogging up the middle and creating double teams...

His shadow is better than those two, weak, scrubs, Settle and Ford...

Great signing, and it'd be even better if we can also get Suh here too.

Historian
11-02-2023, 02:53 PM
The Elam business gets more and more curious by the day.

Ok, the Bills seem to be moving on from him, and rightly so.

But I have a few questions:

1. Is he really injured?

2. If not, is it permissible to use the IR designation on him?

3. To cut him loose, do they need to give him an injury settlement?

4. Is he eligible for a settlement if he's not injured?

5. Can he still be traded for a bag of pucks on IR?

I'm sure there is precedent for all this stuff, ie, cutting a first round bust, but I'll be damned if I know what it is.

Even Perry Tuttle got two years.

Woodman
11-02-2023, 03:07 PM

1. Is he really injured?

I'm sure there is precedent for all this stuff, ie, cutting a first round bust, but I'll be damned if I know what it is.

What are our limits .... if it's true we had any kind of trade offer can we still pursue it ...... because he was injured therefore making it impossible in the 1st place ..... bottom line if he is injured and eventually gets healthy can we look into moving him?

My guess is no trade deadline is closed.

Just not sure of the rule when it comes to injured player.

acehole
11-02-2023, 03:51 PM

1. Is he really injured?

Rumor has it that he lost confidence....If I were coach I would keep him far away from the adults.
Rumor has it we were offered a 3rd and passed.
Rumor also has it we did not take calls.

I would try him at safety as I do think he can tackle although to grabby at the current moment.

I think our secondary could use some new blood next year.

kscdogbillsfan1221
11-02-2023, 04:13 PM
Every time I see this name, I think of Lionel Joseph. Fake character from the movie, ‘trading places’

im sure not one of you has any idea what I’m talking about. Lol. On the train scene near the end of the movie when Eddie Murphy and Dan Akroyd were pretending to be African students

Mace
11-02-2023, 04:31 PM
Every time I see this name, I think of Lionel Joseph. Fake character from the movie, ‘trading places’

im sure not one of you has any idea what I’m talking about. Lol. On the train scene near the end of the movie when Eddie Murphy and Dan Akroyd were pretending to be African students

YardRat
11-02-2023, 05:09 PM
I like signing, wanted a DT, needed a DT, and we got one.

1. Is he really injured?

Beane alluded to hoping the light turns on eventually for Elam and the desire to give him more time to get there. Used Josh Norman as an example when they drafted him in Carolina, it took a couple of seasons for him to 'get there' and Beane still believes Elam can do the same.

Forward_Lateral
11-02-2023, 06:33 PM
I hope the new guys play Sunday

Mace
11-02-2023, 06:49 PM

Beane alluded to hoping the light turns on eventually for Elam and the desire to give him more time to get there. Used Josh Norman as an example when they drafted him in Carolina, it took a couple of seasons for him to 'get there' and Beane still believes Elam can do the same.

The lights were on at the last of last season.

McDermott porked him up thinking his genius could make a man corner soft in his bendy crap defense and it would work out great, Beane gave him a player and McDermott was incapable of using him.

Mad Max
11-02-2023, 07:12 PM

Ya that interview to me indicates Elam’s got more leash. He’ll get at least one more training camp. Also I’d factor in that no GM wants to admit to busting a first rounder until the last iota of “potential” is squeezed out.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nfl/bills/brandon-beane-says-hes-not-giving-up-on-kaiir-elam-but-cb-could-land-on/article_ab19beae-78fb-11ee-aaae-5f2318c673d5.html

Woodman
11-02-2023, 07:29 PM
I hope the new guys play Sunday

Joseph I believe was signed to the active roster .... wait and see.

Woodman
11-03-2023, 06:46 AM
A two-time Pro Bowler who spent the first 10 years of his career with the Giants (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/NYG/new-york-giants/) and Vikings (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/MIN/minnesota-vikings/), Joseph had 20 tackles in eight games for the Eagles late last year. He also had a fumble recovery in the playoffs, serving as a key member of a D-line rotation that produced the most sacks in the league.

Like Douglas, who began his career with the Eagles, Joseph could be slotted into an immediate starting role -- or close to it -- for the Bills, who will be up against the reigning AFC runner-up Bengals (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/CIN/cincinnati-bengals/) on Sunday night.

kscdogbillsfan1221
11-03-2023, 07:08 AM
i'm glad someone understood the reference.

notacon
11-03-2023, 02:08 PM

Yeah....I remember.

But what is MUCH more memorable was Jamie Lee Curtis and the few seconds before this....

https://dvdmedia.ign.com/dvd/image/20021001f.jpg?fit=bounds&width=1280&height=720

Mace
11-03-2023, 05:25 PM
i'm glad someone understood the reference.

Made me remember a dude came out with us a few times a year back in the 90's. Generic looking guy you saw every day. Get enough beers into him, he'd go up to couples in a crowded bar and say "It is me, Lionel, remember ?", he'd flash his glasses on and off which made him more generic, and say something about "that show" or "that bar"...but before they could say anything, there were two wondering.....he'd go into asking about "mike"....everyone knew mikes'...he'd say how he was a good dude, hasn't seen him, but great to see you, enjoy the night, see you again, and take off.

He'd get free drinks from people who thought they might remember him, and everyone would ask how "Lionel" was doing.....he was a Mike.

Always thought he was half crazy, but he was like a math graduate systems programmer who kind of made nights out memorable when he showed up.

Good times.

Woodman
11-03-2023, 08:12 PM
Don't need him to be that...

We just needed a big, capable body, clogging up the middle and creating double teams...

His shadow is better than those two, weak, scrubs, Settle and Ford...

Great signing, and it'd be even better if we can also get Suh here too.

Suh .... do we have any room?

Woodman
11-03-2023, 08:15 PM

It sure would be great if they could fix the kid!

Woodman
11-03-2023, 08:18 PM
Yeah....I remember.

But what is MUCH more memorable was Jamie Lee Curtis and the few seconds before this....

https://dvdmedia.ign.com/dvd/image/20021001f.jpg?fit=bounds&width=1280&height=720

At her best great to see. :cheers:

kscdogbillsfan1221
11-03-2023, 08:21 PM

This Is pure speculation on my part
but I get the sense that they wanted and were targeting Mcduffie and went into panic mode after Kansas City selected him last year
just my feeling

Woodman
11-03-2023, 08:31 PM
This Is pure speculation on my part
but I get the sense that they wanted and were targeting Mcduffie and went into panic mode after Kansas City selected him last year
just my feeling

The Chiefs got the one we wanted for sure.

NE traded down and allowed them to jump us by two spots.

Then we panicked and traded up 2 spots with the Ravens.

Woodman
11-03-2023, 08:35 PM
The Ravens took the Center two picks later Tyler Linderbaum.

I myself would have loved the Center .......... but we definitely could have drafted Elam by just staying calm.