X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

What makes Allen great is also what makes him so frustrated to us sometimes

This video speaks some truth to that. 2020 is a year when everything went right.

What I will disagree is that defenses study Allen since then and know his tendencies, and that's why you see more success defending his big down field plays.

Lastly I disagree his statement that Mahomes incredibly makes all the right decisions of risk/award. I'll say Mahomes just takes a little less gamble, like 1 less a game, than Allen. And in the past he had Hill and Kelce who asked for no risk but provided huge reward. I see Kincaid is heading the same direction, just watch next year when Kincaid takes a huge step, and Allen realizes he does not need to take a risky downfield throw to Harty when a safer throw to Kincaid can achieve the same.

It is Allen himself said you either figure it out or be figured out. I'm 100% confident he'll figure out a counter-move some time --- don't know if it is this year. I'm just hoping it is a year we don't have that many injuries and have a complementary defense for us to go all the way.

• jamze132
    • Jun 2003

Re: What makes Allen great is also what makes him so frustrated to us sometimes

I’m not blaming Allen for our offensive ineptitude. Of course he makes some questionable decisions but I think he’s trying to do too much. Our O-line is mediocre at best and we have zero run game. Dorsey isn’t using our talent wisely by getting them the ball in space enough.

There’s been chatter about our offense picking up the tempo and when we do that we’ve been successful. It puts the defense on their heels.

Comment

• Woodman
      Legendary Zoner
      • Apr 2014

Loved the over head look you can see wide open players ... we should be better at looking them off as they say .... Josh with an advantage like that would be unstoppable imo. Learn to use your eyes to your advantage .... it works especially with what Josh can do with that great arm.

Go in knowing your 1st read needs to be somebody not as obvious as Diggs .... always spread it around let everybody get some.

Do it in an up tempo approach should be tried.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
        • Aug 2004

I firmly believe the NE INT on the very first throw of Bills offensive series was that Pats safety (or coached up) knew Allen's tendency of wanting to shoot the High-Low honey hole, so he did his best to fake one way and then just raced to the expected honey hole throwing lane.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
          • Mar 2004

There’s a fine line between Mahomes and Kirk Cousins.

Allen needs to avoid straddling that line So much.

Comment

• Woodman
            Legendary Zoner
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
            I firmly believe the NE INT on the very first throw of Bills offensive series was that Pats safety (or coached up) knew Allen's tendency of wanting to shoot the High-Low honey hole, so he did his best to fake one way and then just raced to the expected honey hole throwing lane.
            Absolutely know the tendency .... that's just coaching paying attention.

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Woodman
              Legendary Zoner
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Canadian'eh! View Post

Ok I'm curious, how is there a fine line?

One sucks and the other one is Kirk Cousins is that it?

Comment

• Woodman
                Legendary Zoner
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post

There’s been chatter about our offense picking up the tempo and when we do that we’ve been successful. It puts the defense on their heels.
                You can hurry and take your time at the same time ..... I like that.

After you run your play immediately get to the line ..... defense can not substitute.

Keeps em off balance ..... you guessed it ...... I like that.

Hard counts a plenty all types of troubles beset the defense.

Don't allow substitution .... you'd be surprised how fast these guys get gassed.

Comment

• jamze132
                  • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Canadian'eh! View Post

Seriously? They’re two totally different QBs. Go watch the Argonauts.

Comment

• Mad Max
                    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                    • Mar 2003

His main problem is he can’t regulate when he goes into hero mode. He just thinks that because he’s a cyborg he should launch the rockets at any given time.

He takes low percentage shots downfield when there is a beneficial much higher probability and safer option closer in.
                    He often does this when the situation doesn’t merit it, the game isn’t on the line, there’s plenty of time on the clock or the Bills have the lead.

The guy in the analysis was absolutely correct (and frankly it should be obvious to everyone including Josh), take and make the underneath shots and you’ll open up the longer shots.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                      • Aug 2004

I'm not sure it is as simple. This is where someone like Manning who'd put excessive effort into the game, or like Ray Lewis who did not want to be out done By Manning came into the picture. Remember the famous quote by Lewis on why he built his film room at his home:

As Lewis tells it, the plan was hatched at the 1998 Pro Bowl during a conversation with Mrs. Manning.
                      "She’s like, ‘He studies you. All day, every day,’" Lewis said of Ashley discussing Manning’s at-home habits, per The Rich Eisen Show. "And I’m like, ‘Really? Wow.’ So I need to change my game."
                      It was at that Pro Bowl that the lightbulb went off for Lewis. He had come to the realization that Manning didn’t just study film at the team’s facility. Manning regularly brought his work home with him. Success followed.

"So I started studying him," Lewis told host Rich Eisen in reference to Manning. "…So I built an entire room in my house –just so I could watch film."

Though he didn’t specifically say it, Lewis insinuated that few defenders today share the same study habits that he and Manning had throughout their Hall of Fame careers.
                      Look I'm not insinuating Allen does not study film at home or is lazy. But there are wide ranges of levels in film study. In this case of the high/low play, I don't know Allen went on to the extent of studying the various potential defenders in those cases, and what are their body language (any tell-tale signs) that they are moving forward to the low or they are moving back to the high. You may have to dig deep into their past films, even may be with another team etc. Manning would do that. I don't know any other QBs would do that now.

Comment

Working...
                      X