PDA

View Full Version : How many teams have QBs...

YardRat
11-12-2023, 11:52 AM
...that don't need to be replaced/upgraded?

Buffalo, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Chargers, Philadelphia?

Maybe Miami, Baltimore, Jacksonville, Dallas?

Five teams have legit franchise quarterbacks, maybe 9 (just above a quarter of the league) if you stretch it?

Woodman
11-12-2023, 11:56 AM
That's right.

I like a few of the rookies Stroud, Levis and Richardson ...... who is out for the season unfortunately.

kscdogbillsfan1221
11-12-2023, 01:52 PM
...that don't need to be replaced/upgraded?

Buffalo, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Chargers, Philadelphia?

Maybe Miami, Baltimore, Jacksonville, Dallas?

Five teams have legit franchise quarterbacks, maybe 9 (just above a quarter of the league) if you stretch it?
i'm ready to throw the Texans there too. I know it's early, but Strouds looks good!

Goobylal
11-12-2023, 02:34 PM
I'd remove Dallas. I think they move on from Dak soon. And add Houston.

ticatfan
11-12-2023, 04:22 PM
Jags are fine.

sukie
11-12-2023, 04:25 PM
Lions seem fine with Goff

Mad Max
11-12-2023, 04:31 PM
Lions seem fine with Goff

He’s a good mid tier guy like Kirk Cousins/Purdy.

like Purdy Goff greatly benefits from a stellar OL

(I’m watching Detroit/LA now in absolute awe of the Lions OL)

Novacane
11-12-2023, 04:38 PM
I'd remove Dallas. I think they move on from Dak soon. And add Houston.

They could do a lot worse than Dak. I don't see them moving on.

Mike13
11-12-2023, 05:43 PM
I think the only truly elite QB in the NFL is Mahommes.

OpIv37
11-12-2023, 06:00 PM
Goff, Stroud isn’t there yet but the early returns are promising.

1/3 of the league at the absolute max. Which means that 2/3 of the league has no chance whatsoever.

Forward_Lateral
11-12-2023, 06:08 PM
Lions. Goff is lights out. That offense is taylored perfectly for him. Imagine that

sukie
11-12-2023, 06:19 PM
He’s a good mid tier guy like Kirk Cousins/Purdy.

like Purdy Goff greatly benefits from a stellar OL

(I’m watching Detroit/LA now in absolute awe of the Lions OL)

The question wasn’t ic the QB was elite or not it was if the team was in need of replacing the QB. Goff is fine.

Mad Max
11-12-2023, 06:22 PM
... Which means that 2/3 of the league has no chance whatsoever.

How young are you dude? Hostetler, Rypien don’t ring a bell? Never mind Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Doug Williams, the ghost of Peyton Manning.

There are more but those popped into mind quickly.

So if the overall team is good enough the team has a chance to win it all. This is why your previous statements of the Bills window being closed is patently ridiculous. Josh Allen when he’s 35 will be a much better QB than anyone of the names I listed.

OpIv37
11-12-2023, 06:31 PM
How young are you dude? Hostetler, Rypien don’t ring a bell? Never mind Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Doug Williams, the ghost of Peyton Manning.

There are more but those popped into mind quickly.

So if the overall team is good enough the team has a chance to win it all. This is why your previous statements of the Bills window being closed is patently ridiculous. Josh Allen when he’s 35 will be a much better QB than anyone of the names I listed.

Those days are over. None of those guys could win a championship in today’s NFL. They were game managers who set things up for RB’s and dominant D’s.

And 35 y/o Josh Allen with no wheels and less arm strength won’t win ****.

Mad Max
11-12-2023, 06:38 PM
Those days are over. None of those guys could win a championship in today’s NFL. They were game managers who set things up for RB’s and dominant D’s.

And 35 y/o Josh Allen with no wheels and less arm strength won’t win ****.

23/20 13/3 in the last few years. And Mannings last Super Bowl he had no arms.
Teams win. Is it easier with an excellent QB…obviously. To say the Bills window is closed when our QB will be at least above average for at least another 5 years is ludicrous.

OpIv37
11-12-2023, 07:13 PM
23/20 13/3 in the last few years. And Mannings last Super Bowl he had no arms.
Teams win. Is it easier with an excellent QB…obviously. To say the Bills window is closed when our QB will be at least above average for at least another 5 years is ludicrous.

The Bills’ window closed after 13 seconds.

Mace
11-12-2023, 08:20 PM
The Bills’ window closed after 13 seconds.

Thinking that more and more, they haven't been the same since. They might look like it some times, or on paper, but it doesn't have the same feel any more.

Was the day the music died and McDermott started singing......

Historian
11-13-2023, 09:11 AM
I just don't see the fire in Josh's eyes this year.

And one of the few times he shoed some passion, and looked like he was having fun this year, they flagged him for 15 yards.

He's got a lot of other interests now, business-wise, and I think it's taken his eyes off football to be honest.

daryls61
11-13-2023, 09:12 AM
The disparity between the best QB's and the worst QB's is huge which is the basic issue we have in the NFL.

sahlensguy
11-13-2023, 09:21 AM

And one of the few times he shoed some passion, and looked like he was having fun this year, they flagged him for 15 yards.

He's got a lot of other interests now, business-wise, and I think it's taken his eyes off football to be honest.

He's been successfully neutered. McD's playing not to lose mentality is like walking up a river. You can't beat it.

No more hero ball. No more swagger. No more fun. But at least he's not injured!

Oh, and that completion %!

Woodman
11-13-2023, 09:23 AM
I liked him better when he had his old girlfriend.

No drama !!!

sahlensguy
11-13-2023, 09:24 AM
:rofl:

OpIv37
11-13-2023, 09:37 AM

I think Josh realizes he doesn’t have the team around him to ever win a title. 13 seconds should have been his year. He had the game of his life but the D let him down on the 13 seconds drive and again in OT. He did everything he possibly could but it still wasn’t enough.

Obviously I have no way of knowing for sure, but that has to affect his psyche. He had better rosters the last two years- and less competition in the conf/div, and it still wasn’t enough to win. Maybe that’s what’s taking his drive away. Maybe he thinks that, in terms of football, he’ll never be able to best what he’s already done, so his efforts are better spent elsewhere.

Again, this is speculation. But I’ve been on projects at work that I knew were doomed to fail because of poor management decisions, and it’s really hard to give 100% when I know nothing I’m capable of can fix the problems. Athletes are people and are subject to the same emotions as the rest of us.

daryls61
11-13-2023, 11:35 AM
I think Josh realizes he doesn’t have the team around him to ever win a title. 13 seconds should have been his year. He had the game of his life but the D let him down on the 13 seconds drive and again in OT. He did everything he possibly could but it still wasn’t enough.

Obviously I have no way of knowing for sure, but that has to affect his psyche. He had better rosters the last two years- and less competition in the conf/div, and it still wasn’t enough to win. Maybe that’s what’s taking his drive away. Maybe he thinks that, in terms of football, he’ll never be able to best what he’s already done, so his efforts are better spent elsewhere.

Again, this is speculation. But I’ve been on projects at work that I knew were doomed to fail because of poor management decisions, and it’s really hard to give 100% when I know nothing I’m capable of can fix the problems. Athletes are people and are subject to the same emotions as the rest of us.

Why does everyone assume the Bills would have beat the Bengals after the Bengals beat the Chiefs at ArrowHead to go to bowl?

notacon
11-13-2023, 01:30 PM

I HAVE to remind you that the 2021 season that you say "should have been his year" the Bills were 7-6 after the dispiriting OT loss to Tampa Bay, and you were quitting on the team at that time (well...actually you quit on the team almost all the time) assuring us all that it was over.

I keep on reminding you that it ain't over until it's over.....and you act like this...

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/55/9a/82/559a828993b287a76507bee201389227.jpg

But still post your quitter talk.

One undeniable reality in today's forced parity NFL is it ain't over until it's over.....and valuing your quitting on the team when the going gets rough is fools gold. Your awful and lame proclamation that "(Josh Allen will) never win a Super Bowl, at least not as a Bill" shows how valueless your quitter musings are.

notacon
11-13-2023, 01:44 PM
Back to the subject at hand.

Yes, there are only about 9 or 10 teams "...that don't need to (their QB) be replaced/upgraded". Yardie's list is pretty spot on (with the addition of Stroud that kscdog opined (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/264334-How-many-teams-have-QBs?p=5059588&viewfull=1#post5059588)). The jury is still out on Dak, although I agree with Gooby saying (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/264334-How-many-teams-have-QBs?p=5059609&viewfull=1#post5059609) that Dallas "...moves on from him soon". It's pretty obvious that's why they traded for Trey Lance.

Peter King today cited a reality in the NFL (https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/fmia/news/fmia-week-10-c-j-stroud-taking-off-while-its-time-to-ground-zach-wilson)....

I think the biggest mystery in sports—not just football, but all of sports—is how difficult it is to project who’s going to be a good NFL quarterback coming from college football. In the five drafts from 2018 to 2022, 15 quarterbacks were picked in the top 15. As of this morning, eight have either failed or been average or worse: Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields, Mac Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen. The jury’s out on two more, Daniel Jones and Kyler Murray. Only five—Burrow, Herbert, Tagovailoa, Allen, Lawrence—are solid starters or better. This year, as I look at all the teams with QB needs, I wonder how the Giants and Patriots and Bears and Seahawks and Bucs are going to make sure they’re not part of the majority that flunk QB Prospecting 101.

Add to that the emergence of Brock Purdy, famously Mr. Irrelevent, and it's more glaring as ever just how difficult it is to get right the combination of prospect, team built around him, and development.

Thankfully, we don't have to worry about that for years to come (despite the negativity coming from a handful of quitters).

OpIv37
11-13-2023, 02:14 PM
I HAVE to remind you that the 2021 season that you say "should have been his year" the Bills were 7-6 after the dispiriting OT loss to Tampa Bay, and you were quitting on the team at that time (well...actually you quit on the team almost all the time) assuring us all that it was over.

I keep on reminding you that it ain't over until it's over.....and you act like this...

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/55/9a/82/559a828993b287a76507bee201389227.jpg

But still post your quitter talk.

One undeniable reality in today's forced parity NFL is it ain't over until it's over.....and valuing your quitting on the team when the going gets rough is fools gold. Your awful and lame proclamation that "(Josh Allen will) never win a Super Bowl, at least not as a Bill" shows how valueless your quitter musings are.
And once again, I have to remind you that every time I bring up the past, you say that this is a different team and the past doesn’t matter. So, according to you, the past matters for people trying to stay positive but not for people pointing out the negative.

So, once again, your homerism is showing.

jamze132
11-13-2023, 02:19 PM
Josh is certainly good enough to win a title. He just needs the right coordinator to put him in the right positions to minimize terrible reads.

And Beane needs to bust his ass to revamp the secondary. We have no stars there anymore and we’ll get chewed up if by some miracle we make the playoffs this year, which I’m starting to doubt unless Miami implodes. Getting a WC considering the gauntlet we’re about to go through will be lucky.

notacon
11-13-2023, 02:27 PM
And once again, I have to remind you that every time I bring up the past, you say that this is a different team and the past doesn’t matter. So, according to you, the past matters for people trying to stay positive but not for people pointing out the negative.

So, once again, your homerism is showing.

:rofl: YOU are the one that IGNORES YOUR OWN METRIC!!!! What a shameless hypocrite. Sorry, but I am simply citing the REALITY in today's NFL. It ain't over until it's over. That's the case every week in the overwhelming majority of games (FIVE games yesterday were decided by a walk-off FG) ....every season. But to YOU it does not apply ONLY to the Bills. How cluelessly pathetic.

Once again, your QUITTERISM is showing.

OpIv37
11-13-2023, 02:31 PM
:rofl: YOU are the one that IGNORES YOUR OWN METRIC!!!! What a shameless hypocrite. Sorry, but I am simply citing the REALITY in today's NFL. It ain't over until it's over. That's the case every week in the overwhelming majority of games (FIVE games yesterday were decided by a walk-off FG) ....every season. But to YOU it does not apply ONLY to the Bills. How cluelessly pathetic.

Once again, your QUITTERISM is showing.

And I’m pointing out the REALITY that what the 2021 team was capable of has ZERO bearing on what the 2023 team is (or, more accurately, isn’t) capable of. The team isn’t as talented and the Div and conf are tougher.