PDA

View Full Version : Remember when the Buffalo Bills used to have fun?

Woodman
11-13-2023, 11:43 AM
These Bills are tightly wound and have been all season. They have a tightly wound coach and a tightly wound offensive coordinator. Still unable to replace Brian Daboll’s palsy-walsy influence or Leslie Frazier’s fatherly hand, the Bills trudge into November closer to missing the playoffs than maneuvering for a Lombardi Trophy.

“This is probably the most adversity we’ve had to go through since I’ve been here,” fourth-year receiver Gabriel Davis said. “It feels like there’s something missing, you know? We’ve shown that we can play at a high level, but the consistency makes us think, ‘What the f— is going on?'”

Once among the NFL’s most entertaining clubs, the Bills have become a prime-time bore. Last year, they averaged 31 points while going undefeated in five night games. The Bills enter Monday night’s matchup against the Denver Broncos with a 2-2 prime-time record and averaging 18 points.

You can’t fake fun, and Buffalo’s just not having it.

Read more here. (https://theathletic.com/5050229/2023/11/10/buffalo-bills-fun-nfl-week-10/)

sahlensguy
11-13-2023, 12:01 PM
These Bills are tightly wound and have been all season. They have a tightly wound coach and a tightly wound offensive coordinator. Still unable to replace Brian Daboll’s palsy-walsy influence or Leslie Frazier’s fatherly hand, the Bills trudge into November closer to missing the playoffs than maneuvering for a Lombardi Trophy.

“This is probably the most adversity we’ve had to go through since I’ve been here,” fourth-year receiver Gabriel Davis said. “It feels like there’s something missing, you know? We’ve shown that we can play at a high level, but the consistency makes us think, ‘What the f— is going on?'”

Once among the NFL’s most entertaining clubs, the Bills have become a prime-time bore. Last year, they averaged 31 points while going undefeated in five night games. The Bills enter Monday night’s matchup against the Denver Broncos with a 2-2 prime-time record and averaging 18 points.

You can’t fake fun, and Buffalo’s just not having it.

Read more here. (https://theathletic.com/5050229/2023/11/10/buffalo-bills-fun-nfl-week-10/)

Well, when they win the coin flip at home and defer, it kind of sets the tone. McD has little confidence in his boys. So it's a cultural thing.

Chet
11-13-2023, 12:44 PM
Personal note, but I remember going on leave from my job in Ukraine in late November 2020 to get my appendix removed back in the States. I ended up getting COVID at the hospital too, but I had so much accrued leave that I was able to stay home till mid-January. The day before my surgery was the Chargers game where they won but couldn’t quite put the game away enough to make you feel comfortable.

Once out of surgery I was laid up in bed for several weeks, during which time I was treated to the best run of Buffalo Bills football I had ever seen in my life. Primetime beatdown of the 49ers where Josh made some jaw-dropping throws; the Steeler game where the Bills made (and try not to die from shock) all the right halftime offensive adjustments and beat the crap out of Pittsburgh, even running the clock out on a long fourth quarter drive; the beautiful romp over Denver where Josh kept scoring touchdown after touchdown even when the refs were calling them back; the New England game where Josh and Stef dragged their nutsack across Belichick’s face in one of the most cathartic wins fora Bills fan ever; the gang rape of the Miami Dolphins when they were in a “win and in” situation; and two close, but victorious playoff games.

I will forever love Josh, Stef, Daboll and (to an increasingly diminished extent) McD for helping me back on my feet and giving me a high that only lucky Colombians get.

I would give anything to see that kind of “fun” football again.

Historian
11-13-2023, 12:56 PM
Amen, Chet.

Woodman
11-13-2023, 01:23 PM
Once out of surgery I was laid up in bed for several weeks, during which time I was treated to the best run of Buffalo Bills football I had ever seen in my life.

I will forever love Josh, Stef, Daboll and (to an increasingly diminished extent) McD for helping me back on my feet and giving me a high that only lucky Colombians get.

I would give anything to see that kind of “fun” football again.

Would you consider ..... ah nah. :cheers:

Chet
11-13-2023, 01:40 PM
Would you consider ..... ah nah. :cheers:
What? Make out with Cole Beasley and have an elective cholecystectomy?

If I knew I was in for another 6-7 weeks of football like that stretch, then yes. But remember, I’m not a real fan, allegedly

daryls61
11-13-2023, 01:53 PM
This has legs. Bills don't seem to be enjoying themselves anymore.

sahlensguy
11-13-2023, 02:05 PM

That's what you get with McD's "a win as a win" mantra. He doesn't know how to have fun curb stomping the opponent.

Novacane
11-13-2023, 02:07 PM
Everything changed after 13 seconds.

sahlensguy
11-13-2023, 02:37 PM

No way players can players can follow a leader who fumbled away that gimme.

But no one had the balls to fire McD for Daboll or whoever. So here we are.

Woodman
11-13-2023, 03:33 PM
What? Make out with Cole Beasley and have an elective cholecystectomy?

If I knew I was in for another 6-7 weeks of football like that stretch, then yes. But remember, I’m not a real fan, allegedly

Yeah there is that :roflmao:work on that will you.

Woodman
11-13-2023, 03:36 PM

Why I posted the thread .... if it's just a job ..... you don't care enough .... you better love it.

Woodman
11-13-2023, 06:43 PM
The team has to make enough plays .... that the last 13 seconds won't matter.

Mad Max
11-13-2023, 06:49 PM
I remember when the Buffalo Bills used to be fun

Woodman
11-14-2023, 01:15 AM
I remember when the Buffalo Bills used to be fun

Me to.

Historian
11-14-2023, 07:16 AM
This team is out of sorts in ways that cannot be explained.

They are certainly banged up, but still have loads of talent.

I wonder about two things:

1. And I said this a few weeks ago, they could still have some form of PTSD from the Hamilin incident. Having to go back to Cinci couldn't have been a picnic.

2. I wonder if they miss Kim's presence in the front office. I know a lot of you don't care for her, but she seemed to be integrally involved in the day to day affairs of the team, and did have kind of a calming influence on the sideline. She was also very detail oriented, and that seems to be what this team lacks....attention to detail.

Just speculating.

sahlensguy
11-14-2023, 07:36 AM

1. And I said this a few weeks ago, they could still have some form of PTSD from the Hamilin incident. Having to go back to Cinci couldn't have been a picnic.

2. I wonder if they miss Kim's presence in the front office. I know a lot of you don't care for her, but she seemed to be integrally involved in the day to day affairs of the team, and did have kind of a calming influence on the sideline. She was also very detail oriented, and that seems to be what this team lacks....attention to detail.

Just speculating.

Both are probably true.

Biggest thing is the hands off approach to managing Allen. McD lost him and subsequently lost the team.

Woodman
11-14-2023, 08:00 AM
Yes unfortunately it really does.

Woodman
11-14-2023, 08:02 AM

Just speculating.

Nice post when one is tough to find amongst the terrible frustration. :cheers:

Right now an empty feeling .... and I usually bounce back pretty quickly.

Historian
11-14-2023, 08:15 AM
... and I usually bounce back pretty quickly.

Bounce back.....to where Woodsie?

This isn't a question of a couple clunker games.

This has been a full month and a half of disjointed, disorganized, disastrous football.

This is the worst I've seen this team play since Chan Gailey. Maybe Hank Bullough.

There is no quick fix either. The team is going to be in cap hell for at least another year.

Woodman
11-14-2023, 08:20 AM
Bounce back.....to where Woodsie?

This isn't a question of a couple clunker games.

This has been a full month and a half of disjointed, disorganized, disastrous football.

This is the worst I've seen this team play since Chan Gailey. Maybe Hank Bullough.

There is no quick fix either. The team is going to be in cap hell for at least another year.

It's the entire identity of the team .... we made a hasty move with the big signing of Miller ..... he was very very good once and maybe worth the price but realistically it needed to be recognized those days were gone .... and it wasn't.

We gotta free up the cap space ..... what will they do?

Gotta take the hit and move JMO.

As soon as the season officially ends .... or could we move on it now?

Canadian'eh!
11-14-2023, 08:25 AM
Should reopen the spin zone where everyone was happier and got along better than here.

Woodman
11-14-2023, 08:27 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AN97zEHFRUk?si=gd1FRax0nh1_TJJm" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<yt-formatted-string force-default-style="" class="style-scope ytd-watch-metadata">How do you think I feel? Betrayed, bewildered</yt-formatted-string>

Canadian'eh!
11-14-2023, 08:27 AM
It's the entire identity of the team .... we made a hasty move with the big signing of Miller ..... he was very very good once and maybe worth the price but realistically it needed to be recognized those days were gone .... and it wasn't.

We gotta free up the cap space ..... what will they do?

Gotta take the hit and move JMO.

As soon as the season officially ends .... or could we move on it now?

Basically impossible until after next season.

They’re going to have to hope by next year his knee is back to full strength and he still has something to contribute.

An ACL tear is terrible luck, but I felt when they signed him they really should have had the “out” starting after 2 years, not 3

Kenny
11-14-2023, 08:37 AM

I hear this comment from time to time, but I dont get it.

Allen obviously has HOF talent, just hasnt been able to put it together, and not sure he ever will. Diggs is a Top10? receiver. Anyone else on offense? Kindcaid maybe? On defense, Milano is our best player (arguably one the best in the entire league at his postion), but everyone else is a 'JAG'. White was good many years ago (though Im starting to think this secondary is really the result of all-pro play by Hyde and Poyer... now that they've dropped off, our entire secondary is garbage).

Beane and McD put a good team together 3-4 years ago to get us out of being the laughing stock of the league, but we're not a very talented team anymore.

Forward_Lateral
11-14-2023, 08:38 AM
I remember when watching Bills games used to be fun.

Chet
11-14-2023, 08:42 AM

Allen obviously has HOF talent, just hasnt been able to put it together, and not sure he ever will. Diggs is a Top10? receiver. Anyone else on offense? Kindcaid maybe? On defense, Milano is our best player (arguably one the best in the entire league at his postion), but everyone else is a 'JAG'. White was good many years ago (though Im starting to think this secondary is really the result of all-pro play by Hyde and Poyer... now that they've dropped off, our entire secondary is garbage).

Beane and McD put a good team together 3-4 years ago to get us out of being the laughing stock of the league, but we're not a very talented team anymore.

I made a thread at the beginning of the season about starting over once this regime inevitably failed this year. Keep Allen, Diggs, and some of the guys on rookie deals but everyone else can be had/replaced. We are old and unmotivated, the thrill was gone in 13 seconds

Woodman
11-14-2023, 08:44 AM
Basically impossible until after next season.

They’re going to have to hope by next year his knee is back to full strength and he still has something to contribute.

An ACL tear is terrible luck, but I felt when they signed him they really should have had the “out” starting after 2 years, not 3

Bad contract Buffalo!

Kenny
11-14-2023, 08:45 AM
I made a thread at the beginning of the season about starting over once this regime inevitably failed this year. Keep Allen, Diggs, and some of the guys on rookie deals but everyone else can be had/replaced. We are old and unmotivated, the thrill was gone in 13 seconds

Good luck with keeping Diggs after this season. I dont know what his contract details are, but if I was a betting man, he's going to cause issues in the lockerroom and force his way out.

Woodman
11-14-2023, 08:50 AM
I remember when watching Bills games used to be fun.
It should of been this year ............ critical injuries really plowed us.

Never really recovered from Milano and Jones.

Josh ..... damn is he actually unteachable ..... it sure appears to be the case.

Tied to the whipping post with one very poorly written contract ..... leaves no real options.

Woodman
11-14-2023, 08:54 AM
Good luck with keeping Diggs after this season. I dont know what his contract details are, but if I was a betting man, he's going to cause issues in the lockerroom and force his way out.
I wish we could say the same about Miller.

Offer him a coaching position ..... gotta be something he'd go for .... he know's his body can't keep up especially after such a devastating injury .... Terry it's time to get creative with this problem.

And please get a QB that can get through to Josh ..... mental prep is so important.

Historian
11-14-2023, 09:32 AM

Aside from the injured I like

Shakir.

Beneford

Bass

Pretty much the entire D line.

Cook (despite the fumble)

Diggs O'Cyrus and Kincaid.

Veterans Morse, Dawkins.

That's just a few.

What I do not understand is this is essentially last years team with a few upgrades, Bernard and Cook.

They're just not playing well together.

Bill Cody
11-14-2023, 09:42 AM
They found a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory:crap:

Historian
11-14-2023, 09:49 AM
Here's my advice to everyone....and I mean this from the heart:

Enjoy the holiday season.

Have a great Thanksgiving, comfortable in the fact that you do not have to have your dinner come back up, after watching a performance like last night (again)

Hug your kids.

Spend some time with your grandchildren.

Give your pet an extra treat.

Do some Christmas shopping to get you in the spirit of the season.

Reflect on all that is good in your life, and be thankful for those around you.

And if you still need to talk football....remember your cyber buddies at the Zone are always here for you.

That's the best advice I can give you, lads.

Happy Holidays!

sahlensguy
11-14-2023, 09:51 AM
The 'ol... 'seasons over by Thanksgiving' talk.

Mr. Pink
11-14-2023, 01:34 PM

Diggs will be here next year, now come 2025 I'd be VERY surprised if he is still here...

And his contract is idiotic next year on top of that.

28m against the cap, 31m in dead cap.

Come 2025 though he will give 5 million in cap savings if moved, but he's till going to count 22m against the cap.