PDA

View Full Version : Taron Johnson

Canadian'eh!
11-14-2023, 08:14 AM
What happened to him?

He went from being our most underrated player, to a PI machine. He SHOULD have gotten called versus Tampa and got lucky there.

He’s constantly getting beat and fouling people to make up for this year.

We know he has ability, it’s got to be coaching?

Kenny
11-14-2023, 08:25 AM
I think he's just showing his actual abilities. The declining play of our CBs is the result of Poyer, Hyde, Rapp, etc... We've always had a 'great' secondary because of the play of our safeties.

Chet
11-14-2023, 08:28 AM
What happened to him?

He went from being our most underrated player, to a PI machine. He SHOULD have gotten called versus Tampa and got lucky there.

He’s constantly getting beat and fouling people to make up for this year.

We know he has ability, it’s got to be coaching?
Don’t forget the no-call on the Darren Waller play where he was guilty of everything but penetration

Woodman
11-14-2023, 08:30 AM
Don’t forget the no-call on the Darren Waller play where he was guilty of everything but penetration

Not even penetration and as everybody know's you gotta have penetration. :cheers:

Canadian'eh!
11-14-2023, 08:31 AM
I think he's just showing his actual abilities. The declining play of our CBs is the result of Poyer, Hyde, Rapp, etc... We've always had a 'great' secondary because of the play of our safeties.
I’m not buying it. He always did a great job on his own of covering the slot. His blitzes and Run D were excellent. That playoff pick 6 wasn’t Hyde and Poyer.

They were both great, but Taron made his plays.

Canadian'eh!
11-14-2023, 08:32 AM
Unlike our DL who penetrate and then go limp and don’t finish

kscdogbillsfan1221
11-14-2023, 08:33 AM
Unlike our DL who penetrate and then go limp and don’t finish

my God, those ****ers just couldn't wrap up Wilson it seemed all night.

Woodman
11-14-2023, 08:35 AM
He was called for PI on an uncatchable duck pass ..... so poorly under thrown that it actually gifted the Broncos that call that by rule had to be made. Somebody back there with him should have had the job of yelling BALL BALL BALL I don't believe that communication ever happened.

What's surprising .... what did they think Wilson was gonna try and do if he was able to get that pass off with all that pressure everybody knew was coming.

Forward_Lateral
11-14-2023, 08:35 AM
He's garbage. He can't cover. They knew exactly who to pick on. He's another one who should be gone

Woodman
11-14-2023, 08:38 AM

That all out rush should of been used a lot more .... make him pull a rabbit out of his hat every time ..... np way they could handle that.

It was like a dream when you just can't quite get there and everything goes in slow motion ....

ghz in pittsburgh
11-14-2023, 09:53 AM
I don't know what you guys are expecting. All pro everywhere?

Taron Johnson is fine. He's good nickel that flashes greatness from time to time. That is more than you can ask for in a $8 CB.

More than anything, the fact he has to cover Jeudy in an all-out blitz showed the dire strait of the Bills secondary: they really missed White and the lack of development of Elam to fill in the shoe in situation like this. The Bills are NOT going anywhere this year with what they have back there.

Remember McDermott built the Bills defense from the back 7. He hit on White, Hyde, and Poyer in secondary, and Milano in LB in 2017. Looking back, did he and Beane get any hits on defense better than that since then (draft or FAs)? Unfortunately that generation is fading due to age and injuries. I have to say they have to make a hard decision to start anew instead of patching with former stars like Von Miller for one last push.

Thurmal
11-14-2023, 09:54 AM
He's a middling player who happens to have the biggest Bills play this century. Kinda speaks volumes about what this team has been like since 2000.

sukie
11-14-2023, 09:58 AM
5 sacks says differently. Veteran QBs know how to extend plays… what needed to happen was put up more points.

we should have been leading this game after the first 3 by Denver. Gabe drop (3 total drive ending drops in first half alone. Shouldn’t happen.

I cannot blame the D. They just had no compliment.

Taron Johnson hurt. But that’s why you Chuck it deep. The 12 on the field… and it seems to be Floyd, that is inexcusable.

YardRat
11-14-2023, 02:47 PM
I thought it was a ticky-tack call, there was hardly any contact.

I'm OK with Taron, he's one of the better slot corners in the league.

Canadian'eh!
11-14-2023, 03:46 PM

What? He run the guy completely over well before the ball arrived. It was PI all day.

Typ0
11-14-2023, 03:55 PM

He pushed him.

I have noticed a trend in the NFL. They are training defenders how to defend without looking back for the ball. It's an excellent strategy but they can't touch the receiver. They have to tune into the route so they can't take their eyes off the receiver for most of the pattern. The act of looking back at the ball, which is what the rules brought about as an almost requirement, left quarterbacks and receivers with that moment to play with and gain a competitive advantage. Defenders can be more consistently disruptive by watching the receiver for when the ball is coming and focusing on disrupting the locus of points around where he expects the ball to come.

It is no longer a glaring mistake a defender is not looking at the ball ... but they can't interrupt the receiver.

Jimkelly12203
11-14-2023, 03:59 PM
Amidst all of this talk about how bad our offense has been (and it has been very bad), what gets lost in the shuffle is that we also need to replace pretty much our entire secondary. Going forward we have Benford and maybe Rapp if we can afford to resign a veteran. Its nearly time for a complete rebuild. We can maybe cobble this thing together for one more year, but i think not. I think this year was the last chance for the team as currently constituted.

We blew our lombardi in 13 seconds, two years ago...

Historian
11-14-2023, 04:57 PM
I miss that Taron who sealed the deal in the playoffs against the Buzzards.

sukie
11-14-2023, 05:07 PM
I miss that Taron who sealed the deal in the playoffs against the Buzzards.

Or the Taron last year that picked off Mahomes to seal the deal with help from Von and Milano?

sukie
11-14-2023, 05:13 PM
Amidst all of this talk about how bad our offense has been (and it has been very bad), what gets lost in the shuffle is that we also need to replace pretty much our entire secondary. Going forward we have Benford and maybe Rapp if we can afford to resign a veteran. Its nearly time for a complete rebuild. We can maybe cobble this thing together for one more year, but i think not. I think this year was the last chance for the team as currently constituted.

We blew our lombardi in 13 seconds, two years ago...
We need to replace Hyde and Poyer and white.
Jackson is fine Benford is fine and you have Douglas now with Taron Johnson. Elam will maybe get moved.

safety you have Rapp Neal and Cam Lewis… a safety draft pick and of FA is in order. Not a total overhaul of the secondary.

it’s not that bad.
Rapp is at safety

ghz in pittsburgh
11-14-2023, 06:10 PM
Rapp is NOT good. He's late to everything. Jackson is a free agent.

sukie
11-14-2023, 06:23 PM
Let Jackson all… Levi Wallace might be cheap!

ghz in pittsburgh
11-14-2023, 06:50 PM
Jackson is a quality backup. Some team may view him a starter though, like his hometown (hint hint).

jamze132
11-14-2023, 06:55 PM
Is Taron dating a celebrity?

He gets called for PI every game. But in defense of his latest penalty, I think the NFL should take a look at altering PI on a severely underthrowned ball where there is only incidental contact. I don’t know why more teams don’t throw the floater bomb because PI is called at least half the time.

sukie
11-14-2023, 07:05 PM
Is Taron dating a celebrity?

He gets called for PI every game. But in defense of his latest penalty, I think the NFL should take a look at altering PI on a severely underthrowned ball where there is only incidental contact. I don’t know why more teams don’t throw the floater bomb because PI is called at least half the time.

That is the play call when you aren’t going Hail Mary. Many teams dial it up. Of course Dorsey would call deep out routes hoping for illegal contact before a circus toe drag.

Mr. Pink
11-15-2023, 01:52 AM
We're just lucky that Taron didn't get called for two more blatant PIs this season or else we could be 3-7 right now.

Don't know what happened to that guy either. He was a top slot corner in this league and now he's good for game altering PIs if the zebras want to throw it frequently.