PDA

View Full Version : Josh Allen, All time great QB or Josh Allen, Celebrity

Canadian'eh!
11-14-2023, 11:17 AM
I’ve been thinking about this since the offseason, and I will preface it by saying I obviously don’t know Josh, his ex-girlfriend or Hailee Steinfeld or any of these people. This is a VERY speculative and could be wildly incorrect, but I only post it for thought provoking reasons on what is up with Josh.

I just have been trying to figure out WHY Josh went from rapid progression to stagnation to full regression now.

There’s some obvious answers like Daboll leaving. There’s the possibility that this Is “just who he is”

But one thing that’s bothered me and it has been alluded to in the Diggs issues: Josh bought his own hype and is more focussed on his celebrity than football.

Top guys always do commercials and endorsements. But this offseason there he was just everywhere. He seemed to really lean into all of it. Instead of hearing about his work with Jordan Palmer, all I heard was commercials, golfing with celebs and romantic getaways with starlets.

The last bit is especially significant. The top QBs seem to reach a point where it comes time to decide on celebrity or football. Brady ALWAYS chose football. Mahomes seems to. Rodgers? He seemed to like the celebrity.

Josh was with Brittany Williams through A LOT. High school, when he had ZERO offers to play football, begging his way into Wyoming, somehow getting to be a 1st round pick, and rise to NFL stardom.

At his peak? He drops her for Hailee Steinfeld who has been Hollywood her whole life and had nothing but success since the age of 10.

it just feels like a loss of perspective and what made him great to me.

Again, who knows what really happened there, but it’s just a thought.

Mr. Pink
11-14-2023, 11:19 AM
Josh got his fat big money contract and then stopped working harder to keep improving.

That's what it seems like and unfortunately happens to plenty of guys.

Either that or that should injury from last year is still lingering and hasn't fully healed. Or he reaggravated it early in the season and we haven't been told about it.

Forward_Lateral
11-14-2023, 11:20 AM
Anyone who isn't from within the Bills' organization claiming that he doesn't work hard, or watch film, or whatever, is a moron.

Unless you have first hand knowledge of this, you should keep your yap shut.

Mr. Pink
11-14-2023, 11:26 AM
Anyone who isn't from within the Bills' organization claiming that he doesn't work hard, or watch film, or whatever, is a moron.

Allen admits he does a minimal amount of working out in the offseason.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2023/07/07/josh-allen-less-offseason-buffalo-bills-season-workout/

Novacane
11-14-2023, 11:28 AM
Who knows. Maybe he's living with a lot of regret for screwing it up with Brittany. Did he dump her or did she dump him for cheating on her? The good news is all the love is going to disappear. He's being highly criticized in national media today and it's only going to get worse. The'll be on to CJ Stroud next and Josh will be old news now that he sucks. They only love you when you're good. Hopefully that wakes him up.

kscdogbillsfan1221
11-14-2023, 11:29 AM
Who knows. Maybe he's living with a lot of regret for screwing it up with Brittany. Did he dump her or did she dump him for cheating on her? The good news is all the love is going to disappear. He's being highly criticized in national media today and it's only going to get worse. The'll be on to CJ Stroud next and Josh will be old news now that he sucks. They only love you when you're good. Hopefully that wakes him up.
like he cares. He has the bag. he has the woman. he probably doesn't give a **** if the media doesn't love him.

Novacane
11-14-2023, 11:54 AM
I hope this is just fan speculation. If it turns out to be true we'll run him out of town to. I still think the problem is the OC. Josh started regressing when Dorsey took over. That was before the off field drama started.

mightysimi
11-14-2023, 12:07 PM
If he didn't have a girlfriend he would be able to see safeties better? Somehow wouldn't overlook underneath wide open guys for a tougher throw down the field?

Novacane
11-14-2023, 12:10 PM
If he didn't have a girlfriend he would be able to see safeties better? Somehow wouldn't overlook underneath wide open guys for a tougher throw down the field?

Maybe she's so good all he can think about is getting home for more. Kidding aside I agree. I think it's football related.

Borosai
11-14-2023, 12:24 PM
IMO, Allen worked hard on improving himself until :13. Every summer. And he still had Daboll. We all saw how he performed that year, and I think he felt he was a finished product, with nothing else to improve. And sure, if he were still performing the way he did during the playoffs that year, we'd all be happy with that. Clearly a number of things have changed since then, so it's not one specific thing.

New coaches, new system, new focus. That would be nice to see. Of course, it needs to be the right OC and system, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Canadian'eh!
11-14-2023, 12:50 PM

Im not saying he’s Manziel or anything.

I never heard any complaints he’s not working hard.

it’s just there’s 2 types of people: good enough, and the few who are obsessed with greatness. Kobe, Jordan, Messi, Ronaldo, Brady…..

those types who had the drive to try to be the GOAT.

im questioning if Josh might be happy to do his job and be good at it, but then go home to the celebrity life and that’s “good enough”

That said, fans have every right to question these things when the guy makes $250 mil based on their being fans of his.

Forward_Lateral
11-14-2023, 12:54 PM
Im not saying he’s Manziel or anything.

I never heard any complaints he’s not working hard.

it’s just there’s 2 types of people: good enough, and the few who are obsessed with greatness. Kobe, Jordan, Messi, Ronaldo, Brady…..

those types who had the drive to try to be the GOAT.

im questioning if Josh might be happy to do his job and be good at it, but then go home to the celebrity life and that’s “good enough”

That said, fans have every right to question these things when the guy makes $250 mil based on their being fans of his.
Sure, anything is possible.

If The Bills were 8-2 right now, nobody would care what Allen does when he's not playing.

He's not struggling because of ill preparation. He's struggling because he's making dumb decisions. He's pressing. He's trying to make something happen on every drive, and the sooner he realizes that there are certain points of the game where that is not necessary, the better. If anything, it shows that he wants to win more than anyone, and thinks he has to go out and score every time they get the ball.

Canadian'eh!
11-14-2023, 12:55 PM
It’s more about remembering what you did to get where you are, and doing that extra work to keep improving. He has a right to have a life. Frankly, he can choose to prioritize celebrity over football if he wants to. That’s his choice.

A lot of his mistakes to be, are a lack of focus to detail. He’s made that same Int mistake 4-5 times this year, why hasn’t be spent Whatever time it takes to fix that?

It just feels like a lack of focus. I dunno. I said it’s speculation.

FanBack
11-14-2023, 12:55 PM
Unlike the rest of you, I've watched this season's film, perused offensive formations and personnel groupings, studied play sheets, observed body language and diagnosed how defensive coordinators are attacking our offense.

The conclusion is inescapable. Josh Allen's hair is too long and making him sweat profusely under his helmet.

Canadian'eh!
11-14-2023, 12:56 PM
Sure, anything is possible.

If The Bills were 8-2 right now, nobody would care what Allen does when he's not playing.

He's not struggling because of ill preparation. He's struggling because he's making dumb decisions. He's pressing. He's trying to make something happen on every drive, and the sooner he realizes that there are certain points of the game where that is not necessary, the better. If anything, it shows that he wants to win more than anyone, and thinks he has to go out and score every time they get the ball.
To me, those mistakes are a preparation issue as much as a mental issue. Coaching didn’t help, we’ll see if that changes now

FanBack
11-14-2023, 12:57 PM
https://i.redd.it/kns1l8k3yum51.jpg

Mr. Pink
11-14-2023, 12:58 PM
The fact that JA admits he doesn't really work out in the offseason in a sport where it's so demanding to be at peak shape at all times makes me question what he's doing during the season. If you don't want to put in the work to be a top physical athlete in the offseason, what makes anyone think he's willing to put in that work during camp, preseason and regular season?

If JA doesn't want to be an elite player, then that's fine, it's his life he can do what he wants. He got the big bag regardless. But he cannot expect, nor can we, that he will be an elite player if he's not willing to put in the work 365 days a year.

Forward_Lateral
11-14-2023, 01:00 PM
A lot of his mistakes to be, are a lack of focus to detail. He’s made that same Int mistake 4-5 times this year, why hasn’t be spent Whatever time it takes to fix that?

That is 1000% coaching. If he's thrown an INT on the same play multiple times, why would you even consider calling that play again? I have workers at my shop. Some are great at 99 out of 100 things. Would I make them do that 1 thing that they are not good at, knowing that the outcome is likely going to be poor?

Do I blame them for not being good at everything, or do I use my God damn brain as an employer and a person not to put them in a situation that will cause them to fail?

sahlensguy
11-14-2023, 01:01 PM
Flash in the pan potential.

Like the OP said, came from no offers out of HS. Played at Wyoming. Skyrocketed to NFL stardum.

Now that times are tough, doesn't have the foundation to support him and since they replaced Daboll, he's been on an island.

He's like an orphaned kid. Future success is not in his favor.

sukie
11-14-2023, 01:17 PM
Without playoffs his celebrity fades. Really fast.

OpIv37
11-14-2023, 02:10 PM

Obviously, none of us are at OBD daily to see what Josh is doing.

But, he has clearly regressed. He clearly doesn't have the drive that he had a year or two ago. It's a plausible explanation that he lost his focus and work ethic once he got paid. Again, we don't know for sure- I just don't think it's unreasonable for fans to speculate why the face of the franchise has regressed.

YardRat
11-14-2023, 03:04 PM
I’ve been thinking about this since the offseason, and I will preface it by saying I obviously don’t know Josh, his ex-girlfriend or Hailee Steinfeld or any of these people. This is a VERY speculative and could be wildly incorrect, but I only post it for thought provoking reasons on what is up with Josh.

I just have been trying to figure out WHY Josh went from rapid progression to stagnation to full regression now.

There’s some obvious answers like Daboll leaving. There’s the possibility that this Is “just who he is”

But one thing that’s bothered me and it has been alluded to in the Diggs issues: Josh bought his own hype and is more focussed on his celebrity than football.

Top guys always do commercials and endorsements. But this offseason there he was just everywhere. He seemed to really lean into all of it. Instead of hearing about his work with Jordan Palmer, all I heard was commercials, golfing with celebs and romantic getaways with starlets.

The last bit is especially significant. The top QBs seem to reach a point where it comes time to decide on celebrity or football. Brady ALWAYS chose football. Mahomes seems to. Rodgers? He seemed to like the celebrity.

Josh was with Brittany Williams through A LOT. High school, when he had ZERO offers to play football, begging his way into Wyoming, somehow getting to be a 1st round pick, and rise to NFL stardom.

At his peak? He drops her for Hailee Steinfeld who has been Hollywood her whole life and had nothing but success since the age of 10.

it just feels like a loss of perspective and what made him great to me.

Again, who knows what really happened there, but it’s just a thought.

I'm pretty sure there is an account by Brittany herself out there that admitted she didn't give him the time of day in high school and after, until he latched on at Wyoming. She even mentions her group of friends treating him shabbily, when they weren't dating. The 'high school sweetheart' thingie is an overblown narrative from the sounds of it, and quite frankly she seemed more interested in being a fashion influencer than a partner, and hooked up when he started to make a name for himself, not before.

Canadian'eh!
11-14-2023, 03:38 PM
I'm pretty sure there is an account by Brittany herself out there that admitted she didn't give him the time of day in high school and after, until he latched on at Wyoming. She even mentions her group of friends treating him shabbily, when they weren't dating. The 'high school sweetheart' thingie is an overblown narrative from the sounds of it, and quite frankly she seemed more interested in being a fashion influencer than a partner, and hooked up when he started to make a name for himself, not before.

I assume you mean this:

https://people.com/sports/who-is-brittany-williams-josh-allen/

And your characterization of her as a user of him is quite a stretch.

jamze132
11-14-2023, 04:00 PM
Josh has gone from nobody to 1st rd draft pick to inaccurate to top 5 QB in the league. Now he’s in the **** part of the cycle again and he’ll come out better on the other side.

YardRat
11-14-2023, 07:42 PM
I assume you mean this:

https://people.com/sports/who-is-brittany-williams-josh-allen/

And your characterization of her as a user of him is quite a stretch.

Yeah I think that is it, and IMO not a stretch.

If anything is a stretch, it's the opening post.

DetoxTent
11-14-2023, 07:46 PM
Damn the Madden curse.

Woodman
11-15-2023, 07:21 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1EWqH7WjVag?si=BKYkEg4vxnMMV2DR" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Does Josh identify with John ...... :idunno:

Canadian'eh!
11-15-2023, 07:41 AM
Yeah I think that is it, and IMO not a stretch.

If anything is a stretch, it's the opening post.

Funny you always go with “women are evil”.

FanBack
11-20-2023, 11:04 AM
Unlike the rest of you, I've watched this season's film, perused offensive formations and personnel groupings, studied play sheets, observed body language and diagnosed how defensive coordinators are attacking our offense.

The conclusion is inescapable. Josh Allen's hair is too long and making him sweat profusely under his helmet.
Called it, but I'm happy to share the turn-around credit with Joe Brady.

sahlensguy
11-20-2023, 11:17 AM
Called it, but I'm happy to share the turn-around credit with Joe Brady.

Oh, Joe Brady's hair is definitely not too long.