• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Firing Ken Dorsey Did Not Solve Bills’ No. 1 Problem: Sean McDermott

This is well worth the read. Well written and makes you think a little

Warren Sharp outlines the multiple decisions over multiple years by Sean McDermott that led to the Buffalo Bills struggling in 2023 and firing OC Ken Dorsey.

A tiger cannot change his stripes.

Ultimately, neither can Sean McDermott.

The 2020 Bills came so close to winning it all. Their offense was nearly unstoppable. It didn’t resemble anything Buffalo had seen in decades. And it was the first time they made it to the AFC Title game since 1993.

But instead of running it back with minor tweaks, McDermott said in his post-season press conference that he wanted to “start over” and do so by “running the ball better.”

The direction of the Bills has been a downward spiral ever since that fateful day.

Want to know why that 2020 season seems so different and magical than what the Bills have seen since, particularly in recent years?

Because that was the only year McDermott truly took a step back from the offense and let someone else give it a spin with full impunity.

As I’ll detail below, that was OC Brian Daboll’s ticket to ride anything at the park. Super Bowl or bust. But if it busts, regardless of whether it got *this close* to a Super Bowl, the fun is over. Back to basics.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • sukie
    Seriously?
    • Sep 2012

Re: Firing Ken Dorsey Did Not Solve Bills’ No. 1 Problem: Sean McDermott

Did they run more in 21?

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
      • Mar 2004

Man.

If even half of that is true, McDermott should be in hot water.

I don't know how any coach with a brain would say "This offense needs to change" after the 2020 season. They were, like the article says, unstoppable. Not being able to run the ball wasn't what cost them the Chiefs game. But, of course, he needed to blame someone other than himself for being an absolute moron in the final 13 seconds of that game.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by sukie View Post
        Did they run more in 21?

Did you read the article?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
          Peterman Sucks!
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by sukie View Post
          Did they run more in 21?
          2020 they were 17th in rushing attempts 20th in yards. 411 attempts

2021 they were 13th in rushing attempts 7th in yards. 461 attempts

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

This is infuriating.

Thanks, Lecter, for this. My blood pressure needed to be elevated.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
              Zero for Zero!
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
              Man.

If even half of that is true, McDermott should be in hot water.

I don't know how any coach with a brain would say "This offense needs to change" after the 2020 season. They were, like the article says, unstoppable. Not being able to run the ball wasn't what cost them the Chiefs game. But, of course, he needed to blame someone other than himself for being an absolute moron in the final 13 seconds of that game.

Even today - he is still stroking himself over the defense on Monday. Which they did play well considering how beat up they are

But come on man - we don't want to hear your damn ego on display.
              Maybe Dorsey was not good enough. Sure. But to fire him after that game when the biggest issue was the turnovers is clear scapegoating

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                Zero for Zero!
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                This is infuriating.

Thanks, Lecter, for this. My blood pressure needed to be elevated.

Hey - I can't be the only one with 160 over 100

Besides - you have better health coverage than I do.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
                  Even today - he is still stroking himself over the defense on Monday. Which they did play well considering how beat up they are

But come on man - we don't want to hear your damn ego on display.
                  Maybe Dorsey was not good enough. Sure. But to fire him after that game when the biggest issue was the turnovers is clear scapegoating
                  It's also clear that Josh's confidence has been shaken, to say the least. Imagine going from the best QB in football, not named Mahomes, to hearing your coach say "meh, we need to run the ball more"

Fast forward to this year, where Dorsey's offense is unimaginative, predictable and easily defended. Something had to give. Of course McChicken is going to blame someone other than himself.

You can see the players' confidence in their head coach slowing starting to wane. We saw it this offseason with Diggs. You can tell by the way Allen speaks that he's unhappy and probably frustrated.

I think McDermott has run his course. His speeches about unity, trust the process, etc, mean diddly when he doesn't practice what he preaches. The guy has zero offensive football knowledge, and I think it's too late for him to save his own skin by hiring an offensive guru. I really think he will be fired this offseason.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
                  Hey - I can't be the only one with 160 over 100

Besides - you have better health coverage than I do.
                  Heh.

Better health coverage gets me a scolding from my doctor for drinking too much coffee and alcohol

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                    Peterman Sucks!
                    • Mar 2006

I will disagree with the article on one thing though.

2021 was our best chance and we've been on a downward spiral ever since 13 seconds.

Overall the team was better in 2020, we just peaked at the right time in 2021...which is what you want to do to make that Super Bowl run.

Comment

• sukie
                      Seriously?
                      • Sep 2012

Rushing difference was 40 more attempts between Josh and Singles and Moss had less attempts in 2021.

So it’s less than 30 more attempts in 2021 than 2020.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                        • Mar 2004

The Defense plays okay versus average offenses. But, it also tends to buckle whenever it’s under pressure. As soon as we took the lead Sunday I said “too much time left”. I knew that with Denver in must score more, we would crumble.

None of this article is surprising to me.

after the 13s game, I said Frazier needed to go. The improvement we had seen bought McD a bit more leash, whose call the plays in 13s was, is up for debate. I’m inclined to believe now it doesn’t matter really. Frazier and McD are cut from the same cloth.

it was very clear Daboll and McD had some serious friction. That was a bit of an open secret.

Honestly, I’ve never been a fan of McDs style of D. You needed the other team to make a mistake a bit too much. Good offenses that know how to beat zones (Cincy, KC) always pick it apart.

McD righted the ship, but at this point he’s proven he’s not the one to finish the job.

Comment

• Mace
                          Haha...yeah you think so ?
                          • Mar 2013

A beefy read, but well worth it, imo. Stands out to me how McDermott preaches accountability while not being accountable, though giving the concept lip service. It reinforces the Tyler Dunne article after 13 seconds, where Dunne pointed out similar things. Also funny to see when the first reference to complementary came in, and it stood out to the author.

Been saying right along that McDermotts clenching fingerprints are all over everything. He can't break his comfort zone. Wouldn't surprise me to see them throttle down still more instead of unleashing the offense.

Comment

• Historian
                            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                            • Dec 2002

Meh.

It's one guy's opinion.

The bottom line is, that the Bills did need to run more, and have a little bit more balance. Keeps the defense off the field too.

It would also have helped if we had a legit #2 receiver last season as well as this one.

Comment

• Mace
                              Haha...yeah you think so ?
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                              I will disagree with the article on one thing though.

2021 was our best chance and we've been on a downward spiral ever since 13 seconds.

Overall the team was better in 2020, we just peaked at the right time in 2021...which is what you want to do to make that Super Bowl run.
                              13 seconds is still, to me, the pinnacle of the Bills offense with Allen, and McDermott had no choices in letting it be unleashed. I couldn't believe the clutch, determined urgency and efficiency of those final offensive drives.

Comment

Working...
                              X