PDA

View Full Version : NFL considers banning hip-drop tackles

Woodman
11-16-2023, 08:36 PM
The NFL is considering eliminating the hip-drop tackle.

NFL executive Jeff Miller cited the danger of the play Tuesday at the league meetings, saying the hip-drop tackle increases risk of injury by 25 times the rate of a standard tackle.

“It is an unforgiving behavior (https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/nfl-considers-eliminating-hip-drop-tackles-will-review-the-tush-push-again-after-the-season/ar-AA1iomKs) and one that we need to try to define and get out of the game,” Miller said, via Rob Maaddi of the Associated Press. “To quantify it for you, we see an injury more or less every week in the regular season on the hip-drop.”

The tackle came into the spotlight in the 2022 postseason when Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes and Cowboys running back Tony Pollard were injured by hip-drop tackles. Mahomes injured an ankle on a hip-drop tackle by Jaguars defensive lineman Arden Key, and Pollard’s season ended with a fractured fibula and ligament damage in his ankle on a hip-drop tackle by 49ers defensive back Jimmie Ward.

NFL considers banning hip-drop tackles - NBC Sports (https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/nfl-considers-banning-hip-drop-tackles)

Woodman
11-16-2023, 08:40 PM
Despite talk about a possible move to ban the tackle because of the injuries it causes — something the National Rugby League in Australia did — neither the Competition Committee nor any team offered a proposal regarding the tackle in the offseason. The league ultimately decided the tackle is hard to define clearly and enforce consistently.

To that I say horse ****.

jamze132
11-16-2023, 09:24 PM
They’re going to make football unbearable.

It’s an inherently dangerous game to play and you can only do so much. They’re already handicapping the defense in just about every way imaginable and the refs don’t seem to be enforcing penalties on RBs dropping their heads to initiate contact.

Woodman
11-16-2023, 09:27 PM
They’re going to make football unbearable.

It’s an inherently dangerous game to play and you can only do so much. They’re already handicapping the defense in just about every way imaginable and the refs don’t seem to be enforcing penalties on RBs dropping their heads to initiate contact.

I get it but that technique is designed to injure .... it's a really cheap and dirty way of taking a player down.

The league already has to many of it's starting level players hurt and it needs to be outlawed asap.

sukie
11-16-2023, 09:48 PM
I saw that injury to Andrews tonight. The ankle gets trapped… a few plays later Lamar was HDTed and nearly escaped but his ankle is wrapped… I am thinking it will have to be looked at.

OpIv37
11-16-2023, 10:11 PM
I get it but that technique is designed to injure .... it's a really cheap and dirty way of taking a player down.

The league already has to many of it's starting level players hurt and it needs to be outlawed asap.
I don’t think the intent is to injure. The intent is to allow a smaller guy to use momentum and leverage to take down a bigger guy. It used to be that guys were either big or fast. Now, there are these freaks of nature like Kelce or even Allen who are big AND fast. DB’s and even smaller LB’s have no chance of tacking them, and bigger LB’s and DL’s have no chance of catching them.

It’s a way of nullifying an unfair physical advantage.

But, the reality is that it does drastically increase the chances of injury on a tackle.

I’m really not sure how I feel about it. I don’t like all the injuries from them, but two things: if they make it a penalty, there will be subjectivity in how it will be called, and those subjective calls always seem to burn us. Second, if they ban it, there is literally no one on our roster capable of tackling Kelce from behind.

Mad Max
11-16-2023, 10:13 PM
This is a tough one, removing it will reduce injuries but will also increase scoring. It’s so easy to get a targeting call now which the hip-drop negates, take away the hip drop and there are gonna be a lot more missed tackles.

Woodman
11-16-2023, 10:13 PM
I saw that injury to Andrews tonight. The ankle gets trapped… a few plays later Lamar was HDTed and nearly escaped but his ankle is wrapped… I am thinking it will have to be looked at.

Ravens rule out Mark Andrews after X-rays - NBC Sports (https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/ravens-rule-out-mark-andrews-after-x-rays)

The NFL is considering eliminating the hip-drop tackle. NFL executive Jeff Miller cited the danger of the play at the league meetings last month, saying the hip-drop tackle increases risk of injury by 25 times the rate of a standard tackle.
The league unfortunately has even more evidence of that on Thursday night.
Ravens tight end Mark Andrews was injured on the seventh play when Bengals linebacker Logan Wilson used the controversial — but still legal — tackle to take down the tight end after a 9-yard gain. Andrews’ left leg got caught underneath Wilson’s full body weight.
The Ravens have ruled out Andrews with an ankle injury.
Amazon sideline reporter Kaylee Hartung reports that Andrews needed crutches to make it to the X-ray room.

Woodman
11-17-2023, 07:22 AM
Ravens tight end Mark Andrews was lost for the season on Thursday night when he suffered a serious ankle injury, and Ravens coach John Harbaugh isn’t happy with the way Andrews was tackled.

Bengals linebacker Logan Wilson used the hip-drop tackle technique to take Andrews down from behind, leading to Andrews’ lower left leg getting caught under Wilson’s body. The hip-drop tackle is legal, but some in and around the NFL think it shouldn’t be, and Harbaugh questioned why Wilson had to use it on Andrews. Harbaugh also said Wilson used the same technique to take Lamar Jackson down near the sideline, and indicated that the Ravens will send those plays into the league office.

“It was definitely a hip-drop tackle,” Harbaugh said. “It is being discussed. It’s a tough tackle. Was it even necessary in that situation? The other one on the sideline, there’s always plays that you send in to the league to have them look at and interpret for you.”

John Harbaugh questions why Logan Wilson needed to use a hip-drop tackle on Mark Andrews - NBC Sports (https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/john-harbaugh-questions-why-logan-wilson-needed-to-use-a-hip-drop-tackle-on-mark-andrews)

daryls61
11-17-2023, 08:26 AM
That was not an intent to injure. It was an intent to tackle the player. Why would the NFL ban tackling?

OpIv37
11-17-2023, 08:27 AM
That was not an intent to injure. It was an intent to tackle the player. Why would the NFL ban tackling?

It’s not unprecedented. They banned spearing tackles. They banned horse collar tackles.

Woodman
11-17-2023, 08:41 AM

Bengals LB Logan Wilson, involved in 3 plays resulting in Ravens injuries, was made unavailable after the game

Throughout the course of the Ravens vs. Bengals Thursday night game, Cincinnati Bengals (https://www.cincyjungle.com/) linebacker Logan Wilson was involved in three plays that injured Baltimore Ravens (https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/) players. After the game, USA Today’s Nate Davis attempted to speak with Wilson in the locker room but was denied as Bengals public relations made him unavailable.

sukie
11-17-2023, 08:42 AM
Anyone on the fence… watch a replay of Andrews injury. The foot gets caught under the weight of the tackler and the ankle didn’t stand a chance. No way to spin to compensate for the rotation. Tackle this way you are injuring the one tackled. No way around it except sheer luck.

ban it and find the smog out of it. It’s worse than horse collar.

Woodman
11-17-2023, 08:46 AM
It’s not unprecedented. They banned spearing tackles. They banned horse collar tackles.

NFL fans demand Cincinnati Bengals' Logan Wilson is 'suspended' after injuring 3 Baltimore Ravens, sending 2 for X-Rays | The US Sun (https://www.the-sun.com/sport/9649248/nfl-fans-cincinnati-bengals-logan-wilson-suspended/)

NFL fans demand Cincinnati Bengals’ Logan Wilson is ‘suspended’

Emotions are obviously quite high bit I sure hope the league takes a very serious look into this and discipline seems appropriate.

I'm watching it right now and Wilson did not need to use that technique and then he stands over him as if to say gotcha.

OpIv37
11-17-2023, 08:59 AM
I understand fan frustration but you can’t suspend a guy when what he did wasn’t against the rules. It’s the same thing with Sean Taylor and the horse collar tackles back in the day. Guys were getting hurt left and right, and players and fans were pissed, but when he first started doing them, they were legal.

Bill Cody
11-17-2023, 09:07 AM
I say ban it. Players will adjust. It isn't necessary.

OpIv37
11-17-2023, 09:14 AM

Sometimes it is though. How is a CB that’s barely 6” tall and weighs 195 supposed to tackle a Travis Kelce type? The intent is to use leverage to tackle a bigger, stronger player.

It’s either leave it in and continue to have injuries, or take it out and just accept that it’s impossible to defend certain players in certain situations.

Also, if they ban it, expect some subjective enforcement that burns us at some point.

sukie
11-17-2023, 09:18 AM
Sometimes it is though. How is a CB that’s barely 6” tall and weighs 195 supposed to tackle a Travis Kelce type? The intent is to use leverage to tackle a bigger, stronger player.

It’s either leave it in and continue to have injuries, or take it out and just accept that it’s impossible to defend certain players in certain situations.

Also, if they ban it, expect some subjective enforcement that burns us at some point.
So is one would assume that this has been used all along and is only focused on now?

OpIv37
11-17-2023, 09:51 AM
So is one would assume that this has been used all along and is only focused on now?
I don’t know for sure, but my guess is that some coach saw smaller players struggling to tackle the big strong guys so they came up with this technique to help. I don’t think it’s been widely used until recently, but it hasn’t really been needed. Big, strong ballcarriers who can run fast aren’t common but they’re a lot more common than they used to be.

sukie
11-17-2023, 10:18 AM
So because a TE is big. It’s encouraged to injure them… it’s messed up.

OpIv37
11-17-2023, 10:50 AM
So because a TE is big. It’s encouraged to injure them… it’s messed up.

Again, the intent isn’t to injure. The intent is to use leverage to tackle a bigger player. I doubt whoever invented the technique had inury in mind. There just aren’t that many ways for a small guy to take down a big guy. The injuries were the unintended consequence.

Canadian'eh!
11-17-2023, 10:56 AM
They should ban it. It's a horse collar without grabbing the pads. too dangerous.

Bill Cody
11-17-2023, 10:58 AM

They tackle him by wrapping up his legs. It also encourages a new breed of hybrid linebacker/safety which is already happening around the league to cover those guys. The answer can't be shrug and say go ahead and hip drop. No.

sukie
11-17-2023, 11:08 AM
Again, the intent isn’t to injure. The intent is to use leverage to tackle a bigger player. I doubt whoever invented the technique had inury in mind. There just aren’t that many ways for a small guy to take down a big guy. The injuries were the unintended consequence.

And the injuries are horrific . Intended or not.

if you are a smaller guy in the NFL and have issues tackling… rely on your communications degree.

Ingtar33
11-17-2023, 11:26 AM
The league ultimately decided the tackle is hard to define clearly and enforce consistently.

To that I say horse ****.

no, i agree, when they first started talking about it they cited Mahomes injury against the jags last year as a hip drop tackle, and it absolutely was not by any definition i've seen. I said at the time, that if they consider that a hip drop tackle pretty much half the tackles in the league were illegal.

the hip drop tackle that rugbee banned is pretty clearly defined. but the *******s at the NFL weren't really talking about that.

OpIv37
11-17-2023, 01:55 PM
They tackle him by wrapping up his legs. It also encourages a new breed of hybrid linebacker/safety which is already happening around the league to cover those guys. The answer can't be shrug and say go ahead and hip drop. No.

If it were that simple, there would be no need to use hip drop tackles.

OpIv37
11-17-2023, 01:56 PM
no, i agree, when they first started talking about it they cited Mahomes injury against the jags last year as a hip drop tackle, and it absolutely was not by any definition i've seen. I said at the time, that if they consider that a hip drop tackle pretty much half the tackles in the league were illegal.

the hip drop tackle that rugbee banned is pretty clearly defined. but the *******s at the NFL weren't really talking about that.

And that’s the other issue. It’s going to be poorly defined and subjectively enforced. Every time a Chief comes up gimpy after a tackle, the flags will come out.

Forward_Lateral
11-17-2023, 02:03 PM
Listen, I'm all for player safety and banning dangerous tackles, but this is getting out of hand. You basically can't tackle a guy from behind anymore, you can't hit him above the shoulders, even if he lowers himself. It's football. You get paid millions of dollars to play a dangerous sport.

This is putting way too much power into officiating, as if they don't have enough already.

Bill Cody
11-17-2023, 02:10 PM
If it were that simple, there would be no need to use hip drop tackles.

<shrug> Players will use whatever is legal to bring a guy down. If they allowed horse collars they'd do that.

Bill Cody
11-17-2023, 02:14 PM
Listen, I'm all for player safety and banning dangerous tackles, but this is getting out of hand. You basically can't tackle a guy from behind anymore, you can't hit him above the shoulders, even if he lowers himself. It's football. You get paid millions of dollars to play a dangerous sport.

This is putting way too much power into officiating, as if they don't have enough already.

says the guy watching it on TV. You have to understand it's imperative the league does what it can to reduce serious injuries, head injuries in particular. If not, in 20 years it will be 2 hand touch whether they (or you) want it or not. The CTE numbers are going to be horrific and have the potential to bankrupt the money machine that is the NFL

Forward_Lateral
11-17-2023, 04:49 PM
says the guy watching it on TV. You have to understand it's imperative the league does what it can to reduce serious injuries, head injuries in particular. If not, in 20 years it will be 2 hand touch whether they (or you) want it or not. The CTE numbers are going to be horrific and have the potential to bankrupt the money machine that is the NFL

Buddy, if you want to pay me 20 million dollars, you can tackle me with a car

DraftBoy
11-17-2023, 05:01 PM

So how much is each year of your own life worth to you?

Typ0
11-17-2023, 05:09 PM
Say NO to rules that enable more arbitrary bull**** from referrees!

YardRat
11-17-2023, 05:17 PM

I agree.

If I were to guess I would say it's being used more now and actually being taught more now as an alternative to avoid leading with the head, which has been the focus for several years now.

Woodman
11-17-2023, 07:14 PM
Report: Mark Andrews suffered cracked fibula, ankle ligament injury

Report- Mark Andrews suffered cracked fibula, ankle ligament injury - NBC Sports (https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-mark-andrews-suffered-cracked-fibula-ankle-ligament-injury)

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, an MRI revealed Andrews suffered a cracked fibula and an ankle ligament injury.
It’s a similar injury to what Cowboys running back Tony Pollard suffered on a similar hip-drop tackle during last season’s playoffs. The league has considered banning the style of tackle.

OpIv37
11-17-2023, 07:20 PM
So how much is each year of your own life worth to you?

The ****ty years at the end? Yeah, I’ll take being rich in my 20’s if it means losing 10 years of my 70’s and 80’s.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D2IBM7ovgvQ?si=DV8jZSv5KXTclGH5" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DraftBoy
11-17-2023, 07:37 PM
The ****ty years at the end? Yeah, I’ll take being rich in my 20’s if it means losing 10 years of my 70’s and 80’s.

So how much is each year of life worth?

OpIv37
11-17-2023, 08:10 PM
So how much is each year of life worth?
Depends on a lot of things. I’m in favor of legal euthanasia so if they’re crappy enough I’ll give them away for free.

Forward_Lateral
11-18-2023, 07:34 AM

Show me proof where a broken ankle or torn ACL
shortens your life.

Hits to the head and neck, ok I agree those are needless and completely avoidable.

Everything else is football. What are they going to ban next? Tackles to the side of knee?

sukie
11-18-2023, 07:41 AM
Show me proof where a broken ankle or torn ACL
shortens your life.
So hip drop tackles HAVE been around forever and shouldn’t be banned. Perhaps Rugby will lift the band after this logic.
Hits to the head and neck, ok I agree those are needless and completely avoidable.

Everything else is football. What are they going to ban next? Tackles to the side of knee?

OpIv37
11-18-2023, 07:35 PM
I’m on the fence on this one and leading toward not banning but the NCAA and NFL are going to have to ban it. Look what happened to FSU’s Jordan Travis.

Just in case anyone is too stupid to infer this from context:
Warning: graphic video

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1726032014518706176/pu/vid/avc1/640x360/F1ad61ROtHnFpvk9.mp4?tag=12

That might be his career.

Dr. Lecter
11-18-2023, 07:41 PM
FWIW - I hate sports

Maybe I will start watching opera or something

notacon
11-19-2023, 11:10 AM
FWIW - I hate sports

Maybe I will start watching opera or something

Here is some opera that is worth anyone's time....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8fYKlHFn5Rs?si=QDt62pMM3pEyMOBL" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Woodman
11-21-2023, 10:28 PM
Here is some opera that is worth anyone's time....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8fYKlHFn5Rs?si=QDt62pMM3pEyMOBL" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Too few take advantage.

Woodman
11-22-2023, 04:14 PM
Logan Wilson defends himself against criticism of hip-drop tackle of Mark Andrews (https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/logan-wilson-defends-himself-against-criticism-of-hip-drop-tackle-of-mark-andrews)

“I honestly wasn’t even sure what a hip-drop tackle was (https://twitter.com/CalebNoeTV/status/1727436135146680553) prior to that being brought to my attention after the game,” Wilson said Wednesday, via video from Caleb Noe of WCPO. “Obviously, I guess, it’s something they’re looking at doing, but it’s hard in the position when you’re trying to come from behind and trying just to find a way to bring him down. It’s not like Mark Andrews is a small human. You’re just trying to find a way to bring the guy down, and unfortunately that’s what happened. I’d never wish it upon him. Whatever they decide to do with the hip-drop tackle going forward, we’ll have to adjust, but it would make it a lot harder if that’s what they decide to do.”

Mr. Pink
11-24-2023, 12:55 PM
Maybe just make the entire game flag football at this point.

All of these guys understand the risks they're taking on by playing the sport.

And they are all compensated heavily for that risk.

Is CTE terrible? yes. Is getting your knee blown out at the chance you'll never walk properly again terrible? yes. But these guys are well aware of the risks associated with the job.

Maybe instead of banning all of these things that might injure someone, because as we know you can tear your ACL from just planting on the turf wrong, the NFL should do something to better help their players medically/emotionally after their playing days are gone.

sukie
11-25-2023, 07:21 PM
Star QB for FSU leg broken from hop drop tackle.

this isn’t merely tackling. It breaks legs. It’s not nanny nfl looking to this . Legs breaking.

Mr. Pink
11-26-2023, 02:14 PM
Star QB for FSU leg broken from hop drop tackle.

this isn’t merely tackling. It breaks legs. It’s not nanny nfl looking to this . Legs breaking.

Direct causation with not allowing players to tackle high anymore.

notacon
12-02-2023, 12:03 PM
I am reviving this thread because The Athletic published a very informative story ("What is a hip-drop tackle and will the NFL and NFLPA agree to ban it?" (https://theathletic.com/5101386/2023/12/01/nfl-nflpa-hip-drop-tackle-ban/)) about the hip-drop tackle and the investigation and effort to decide to ban it.

As Ingtar wrote, "the hip drop tackle that rugbee [sic] banned is pretty clearly defined." but then makes a rather obtuse opinion that "...but the *******s at the NFL weren't really talking about that." which is not very accurate.

The whole discussion with the NFL and NFLPA is about defining the tackle to reduce injuries.

It's not about "banning tackling", nor, if properly defined and banned would make "football unbearable", nor would it "increases scoring" or result in "more missed tackles" or any of the other objections.

Of course, the hard part is defining the tackle so it can be officiated properly. Not an easy task. Despite the article that started this thread stating that "The league ultimately decided the tackle is hard to define clearly and enforce consistently." that was only talking about this past off season.

The study and effort to finalize a definition that the NFLPA agrees with is ongoing.

As Ingtar mentioned, rugby has indeed defined and banned the hip-drop tackle and this video explains the dangerous method quite well.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5KJ9mCbS3rU?si=hPlJpNWfYxDRDpCF" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

In any event, like many other dangerous methods, like spearing, horse collar and leading with the helmet, it is best for reducing injuries that the NFL and NFLPA get this done.

Woodman
12-13-2023, 08:50 PM
NFL wants hip-drop tackle outlawed - NBC Sports (https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/nfl-wants-hip-drop-tackle-outlawed)

The tackle, which the NFL says increases risk of injury by 25 times the rate of a standard tackle, has taken out some high-profile players this season.
Ravens tight end Mark Andrews, Seahawks quarterback Geno Smith and most recently Dolphins receiver Tyreek Hill are among those who have been injured by a hip-drop tackle.
“I think we all should work to get that out of the game,” NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said Wednesday at the NFL owners meetings in Irving, Texas. “You see it escalated the number of times it occurred this season. The injuries could be very devastating. We saw that also: It’s not just happening at the NFL level; it’s happening at other levels. It’s something that we have to work very hard to get that removed this spring.”

Ingtar33
12-13-2023, 10:50 PM
first of all, tyreek hill was hurt on a horsecollar tackle that wasn't flagged, that wasn't a hip drop tackle, but a horse collar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iiCYqMogNo

i don't see how geno smiths injury could have possibly been a hip drop tackle, the defender wasn't even holding on to him, having let go of him almost immediately after touching him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i28uv4ChY8w

mark andrews injury definitely was a hip drop tackle as loosely defined, however, i challenge you to explain WHAT the defender should have done in that situation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fa3smREgzo

my problem with this discussion is the same now as it was when it first came up. the definition of a hip drop tackle is cleanly and obviously defined in rugby, but the proponents of banning in the nfl have bee casting an insanely wide net to define it. only 1 in 3 of those examples was a clear hipdrop tackle, and i'm not even sure how you can play football is no.3 is banned

sukie
12-14-2023, 12:08 AM
It’s not grabbing the hip that makes it a hip drop… it’s basically encircling the player then using your dead weight to bring them down entrapping a leg or two under your entire body weight. The legs are trapped at the level of the tacklers lower torso. Unlike an arm tackle which grabs legs and legs end up maybe at chest or shoulder level of the tackler.

image search “mechanics of hip drop tackle” Tyreek ankle actually injured the tacklers lower back… see it in video…

YardRat
12-14-2023, 06:17 AM
They are going to have to come up with a specific definition that meets multiple conditions, like targeting in college football.

If anybody wants to take a shot at what those conditions are, I'd like to hear some opinions on what the rule might look like.

Ingtar33
12-14-2023, 06:20 AM
It’s not grabbing the hip that makes it a hip drop… it’s basically encircling the player then using your dead weight to bring them down entrapping a leg or two under your entire body weight. The legs are trapped at the level of the tacklers lower torso. Unlike an arm tackle which grabs legs and legs end up maybe at chest or shoulder level of the tackler.

image search “mechanics of hip drop tackle” Tyreek ankle actually injured the tacklers lower back… see it in video…

i agree the mechanics of the hill tackle resemble a hip drop tackle, but that was a horsecollar tackle, it was already illegal as all hell, calling it a hip drop tackle is a bit disingenuous. watch the video i linked, his hand clearly grabs hill by the back of the collar, inside the shoulder pads and he yanks him down by that. the action of dragging him down by the collar is what resulted in him rolling up his legs. it's a classic horsecollar tackle and should have been 15 yards and a first down. the refs didn't even throw a flag on it. which is mind blowing.

cas22
12-14-2023, 07:30 AM
asking players to tackle a certain way is hilarious, there not gonna be happy until its flag football, these guys make millions of dollars' because its a dangerous sport, to many rules, college football has less flags than the NFL and there kids ...

I agree with targeting being illegal , the real reason for all the bull is because players are not taught how to tackle the right way, they try to knock players down instead of using there shoulder and wrapping around and driving them to the ground...

sukie
12-14-2023, 09:05 AM
So sudden use of hip drop fill weight on lower legs is okay with you? This is not old school tackling where you wrap up a players legs. This is dropping 190-210 lbs on lower leg. it’s bad physics for the one being tackled.

and to say “duh, how are you supposed to bring down a guy that’s big like Kelsey then ? Duh”.

uh Tyreek isn’t a monster.

this will be fun to revisit when Allen, Cook , Diggs, Mahomes (not sure if his high ankle last season was hip drop) Dak or Hurtz all get season Enders in what should have been a simple tackle play.

Lamar got lucky in same game Andrew’s had his leg snapped innocently by a tiny defender.

Historian
12-14-2023, 09:15 AM
I don't know.

If it's done where the tackler drops the player onto himself, it could be an effective, safe method of tackling.

The problem then becomes, When do you blow the whistle?

Because technically, the ball carrier is not down on the ground.

They're getting a little off the charts here, and as someone already pointed out, the offense gets every consideration in the first place.

Now you can't tackle them?

I swear football was more fun to watch when it focused on the running game, and wide receivers had to be in a three point stance.

Would this almost be considered a wrestling move?

sukie
12-14-2023, 11:23 AM
There has been tackling since the dawn of time. No one was shattering bones and ankles doing it.

OpIv37
12-14-2023, 12:35 PM
There has been tackling since the dawn of time. No one was shattering bones and ankles doing it.

Well that's another good point: What changed? These tackles have always been legal and have never been controversial before. Are defenders being taught to use this technique now? Is it just because the league is trying to reduce injuries to star players?

Ingtar33
12-14-2023, 12:56 PM
Well that's another good point: What changed? These tackles have always been legal and have never been controversial before. Are defenders being taught to use this technique now? Is it just because the league is trying to reduce injuries to star players?

this is the result of all the helmet to helmet penalties, guys now are taught to wrap up around the hips. guess what naturally happens if you tackle someone like that?

OpIv37
12-14-2023, 02:14 PM
this is the result of all the helmet to helmet penalties, guys now are taught to wrap up around the hips. guess what naturally happens if you tackle someone like that?

It's a good thing that the league is trying to mitigate injuries, but it's a rough game with very strong men violently colliding with each other. At some point, they have to accept that injuries will happen. They can't legislate every possible injury out of the game.

YardRat
12-15-2023, 06:11 AM

Bingo. There was actually a story out a few years ago with a coach explaining the technique as the proper way to tackle to avoid head injuries.

sukie
12-15-2023, 07:38 AM
Trade off is big money players on IR … Andrews wasn’t a big enough player.