PDA

View Full Version : Brady is off to a good start.

Novacane
11-19-2023, 07:01 PM
The TD's to Cook and Johnson were calls we haven't seen. The running game was working and he didn't abandon it. He did it against a good defense. I won't get excited yet but it beats the alternative. If the offense had looked bad McDermott would be destroyed this week. Brady and the offense bought McD a temporary stay of execution.

DetoxTent
11-19-2023, 07:22 PM
The play calling was noticeably better. Seemed to give the players a confidence boost. Where has Ty Johnson been all season? Loved him. Rasul Douglas and Floyd gets were fantastic. But Brady seemed to do a good job today. He let Allen run just enough. Not none, not too much.

YardRat
11-19-2023, 07:45 PM
Meh, we'll see. Helps a lot when Josh isn't handing the ball over, the defense is getting turnovers, and guys (like Shakir) make big plays. Didn't see anything different today that we haven't seen all season, including Josh in shotgun in the red zone.

The biggest difference is Josh looked to get rid of the ball quick or bail on the play quicker if nothing was there. And that's execution, not play-calling.

Ingtar33
11-19-2023, 07:48 PM
i saw a lot more motion that was for a purpose, something we haven't done since daboll was here. they did a lot of misdirection, another thing missing since daboll. these aren't complex things, but they've been missing from the super vanilla scheme dorsey was running.

kingJofNYC
11-19-2023, 07:49 PM
The way they got the TD to Shakir was nice. basically called 4 verticals with Cook over Sauce, gave Shakir more space and Sauce was splitting the two routes and freed up Shakir a bit more all while using a RB.

The cook td was nice too. But outside of that lot of the same stuff man, D just put us in good field positions with the turnovers. Let’s see what next week brings.

Novacane
11-19-2023, 07:51 PM
Meh, we'll see. Helps a lot when Josh isn't handing the ball over, the defense is getting turnovers, and guys (like Shakir) make big plays. Didn't see anything different today that we haven't seen all season, including Josh in shotgun in the red zone.

The biggest difference is Josh looked to get rid of the ball quick or bail on the play quicker if nothing was there. And that's execution, not play-calling.

You're just being an old curmudgeon. There were plays like the TD to Cook that we have not seen. Dorsey would not have kept feeding Cook. It's one game. I'm not crowning him anything. Far from it but it's not fair to give him no credit.

Forward_Lateral
11-19-2023, 07:55 PM

They did a lot of little things like motion, especially on that TD to Cook.

sukie
11-19-2023, 07:58 PM

Brady had 4 days… sheesh.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-19-2023, 08:07 PM
I mentioned earlier this week - RB use in Brady's offense and it came to fuition. http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/264384-So-what-do-we-expect-from-Brady-this-week It does look like a few layup plays added; very very few of Josh's passes are in the very difficult category.

We'll see what teams are going to react to Brady's twist of the Dorsey's offense. But again, Brady can certainly add more next week for the Eagles game - we may be able to punch back to the Eagles a little bit now.

What happen to Diggs? Not quite his normal stuff today.

Historian
11-19-2023, 08:13 PM
I thought he called a good game.

Some nice swing passes to the backs, and controlled the clock with the run.

Heavy doses of Kincaid in the first half.

Don't be surprised if the Bills steal one from the Eagles. They're coasting to the #1 seed, while the Bills have their backs against the wall, watching Miami defeat other scrubs.

I think the Bills beat the Eagles 38-35.

YardRat
11-19-2023, 08:21 PM
I don't think they did any more motion than they have been. As a matter of fact, they didn't move Diggs or the TE's around nearly as much as they have been from what I saw.

Josh was a touch more accurate than he has been and didn't play stupid. That was the difference.

Cook had 3 more carries than his season average, not significant considering the other disparities in this game such as score (self-explanatory), time of possession (plus 8 minutes), and plays run (plus 10 plays). If your up by 20, have had the ball all day and are running more plays, yeah your back is probably going to get 3 more carries.

And I didn't expect any great shakes from Brady other than what we saw...keep running what we have been because we know it works, just don't turn the ball over and play stupid.

sukie
11-19-2023, 09:17 PM
I don't think they did any more motion than they have been. As a matter of fact, they didn't move Diggs or the TE's around nearly as much as they have been from what I saw.

Josh was a touch more accurate than he has been and didn't play stupid. That was the difference.

Cook had 3 more carries than his season average, not significant considering the other disparities in this game such as score (self-explanatory), time of possession (plus 8 minutes), and plays run (plus 10 plays). If your up by 20, have had the ball all day and are running more plays, yeah your back is probably going to get 3 more carries.

And I didn't expect any great shakes from Brady other than what we saw...keep running what we have been because we know it works, just don't turn the ball over and play stupid.

Murray and Ty had Carrie’s as well plus Josh had designed runs so there was a increase in running plays… stringing drives together and having takeaways also helps.

justasportsfan
11-19-2023, 09:21 PM
The only difference I noticed is that our players didn't seem to want to go home before the game.even started.

Ed
11-19-2023, 09:29 PM
Best OC we've ever had. Enjoy him while we can.

OpIv37
11-19-2023, 09:34 PM
Hard to draw conclusions from a one-game sample size but I’ll take it. The Jets’ d is really good at taking away big plays and star WR’s. Brady utilized runs and passes to TE’s and RB’s to work around that, and still managed to get the big play to Shakir.

We outcoached them and it’s something to build on.

Kenny
11-19-2023, 10:02 PM
Always satisfying when we whoop a divisional opponent - so kudos to everyone.
But we beat a team we were supposed to beat. Yes the Jets have a hell of a defense, but there was never any real urgency on this offense to need to score points.

I'll reserve judgement over the next 3 games, where Josh and the offense will be trading punches back and forth with the other offense, and there will be some real pressure to keep up, score points, and ultimately win the game.

Chet
11-20-2023, 03:20 AM
I agree with most of the takes in this thread, even if they oppose each other at times.

As one poster said, let’s start off by saying not bad for 4 days prep. The balance was fantastic, they stayed in manageable down and distance, and didn’t really force square pegs into round holes (aka the Ken Dorsey school of coaching).

I can’t get enough Cook and Kincaid. Let these boys shine and it’ll ease the coverage on Diggs. And what a shocker, we sliced and diced them in the middle of the field because it’s been wide open for 2 years now.

All in all, this was a humiliated and desperate team coming off an emotional week and they got the W in impressive fashion.

With that said, I too will reserve any optimism until I see the goods against our next 3 opponents. It’s easy to be patient and controlled when you’re playing from ahead and knowing 13 points is good enough to get a W. Let’s see how they respond on the road against the SB teams if/when they fall behind. Will they go back to old ways and just throw it deep to the homies, or will they grit it out with smart, situational football?

I still deep down think we dropped one too many stupid games to recover at this point (Jets, Pats, Donks), but if they can somehow pull off a win in Philly and go into the bye at 7-5, they will be born again and brimming with confidence. That’s a big “if” though.

I suppose if there’s a silver lining to this nightmare season it’s that we get an early start to the playoffs for Buffalo, with every game being a must-win against the best the league has to offer.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-20-2023, 09:49 AM
If they beat Eagles and Chiefs on the road, I don't care what seed they are in, it is a dangerous team.

Bill Cody
11-20-2023, 10:03 AM
We scored 32 points yesterday. We had 33 in the prior 2 games against the Jets. That seems like progress. Maybe it had nothing to do with Brady. Maybe it was the flavored water the Bills switched to.

To me there was a noticeable difference in approach.

Mad Max
11-20-2023, 10:09 AM
Hard to draw conclusions from a one-game sample size but I’ll take it. The Jets’ d is really good at taking away big plays and star WR’s. Brady utilized runs and passes to TE’s and RB’s to work around that, and still managed to get the big play to Shakir.

We outcoached them and it’s something to build on.
Who are you and what have you done with our resident pessimist? Release him at once or the authorities will be contacted.

cookie G
11-20-2023, 10:22 AM

He called a pretty good game, on a very good D.

I totally agree with the last part of your quote. The lack of turnovers was definitely due to execution, and lack of brain farts by Josh. And the light finally came on and he thought to himself "hey, I can actually throw a check down to a RB."

But even in the redzone in the first half..., he resisted the temptation of forcing a throw when there wasn't anything open. Good situational football. take the 3 points, the Jets were going nowhere on O.

sahlensguy
11-20-2023, 10:29 AM
The O looked good, against a better D but aided by good field position. Good run/pass balance. Took what they gave us. Quicker throws than what we've mostly seen this year.

3 field goals would have won this game but we didn't play to score only 9. Played with urgency the whole game. Didn't always execute but it was a great showing, especially on a short week.

Very encouraged.

Mad Max
11-20-2023, 10:43 AM
The O looked good, against a better D but aided by good field position. Good run/pass balance. Took what they gave us. Quicker throws than what we've mostly seen this year.

3 field goals would have won this game but we didn't play to score only 9. Played with urgency the whole game. Didn't always execute but it was a great showing, especially on a short week.

Very encouraged.

We rag on Mcdodo for his coachspeak, especially his overuse of the term “complementary”. The thing is he’s not wrong and the team finally vindicated his persistent babble.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-20-2023, 10:48 AM

I totally agree with the last part of your quote. The lack of turnovers was definitely due to execution, and lack of brain farts by Josh. And the light finally came on and he thought to himself "hey, I can actually throw a check down to a RB."

But even in the redzone in the first half..., he resisted the temptation of forcing a throw when there wasn't anything open. Good situational football. take the 3 points, the Jets were going nowhere on O.
That's what I beg to differ. Checkdown are usually 3rd and 4th options. The Cook, Johnson TD passes are not checkdowns, they are by design the primary options. To me that's where the difference is and the execution is better on those plays. In the past the checkdowns are from Josh is always awkward and the RB often has to adjust to catch the ball, allowing defenders to somewhat make a play on it. Now we have plays where the intent is throw to the backs but it looks to the D that the plays are meant for downfield the field from the beginning.

cookie G
11-20-2023, 11:09 AM
That's what I beg to differ. Checkdown are usually 3rd and 4th options. The Cook, Johnson TD passes are not checkdowns, they are by design the primary options. To me that's where the difference is and the execution is better on those plays. In the past the checkdowns are from Josh is always awkward and the RB often has to adjust to catch the ball, allowing defenders to somewhat make a play on it. Now we have plays where the intent is throw to the backs but it looks to the D that the plays are meant for downfield the field from the beginning.

Shrugs. In the Cook TD, he was definitely a target, but it was based on a presnap read. And of course, no one on the Jets went out of cover him.

I think it was McCourty on GMB who said this morning "we used to say, don't cover the RBs Because Josh won't throw the them."

He threw 7 times to RB's yesterday, completing 6.

Go back to Josh's ints and where he is forcing the ball into someone, you are normally going to see a RB open in the flats, or underneath, (or maybe a TE).

HE was making a conscious effort not to force the ball into bad situations yesterday.

He did that right after the first Jets game and it was working for a few games. Then he stopped. And it showed.

sahlensguy
11-20-2023, 11:15 AM
We rag on Mcdodo for his coachspeak, especially his overuse of the term “complementary”. The thing is he’s not wrong and the team finally vindicated his persistent babble.

It was hard to hear Romo saying, more than once, that we haven't been blown out but that most of our losses are self inflicted.

So true and there is a lot of blame that ultimately falls on McD.

Hopefully the Dorsey firing is a wakeup call for us to play up to our potential in each game from here on our.

Mad Max
11-20-2023, 11:25 AM
It was hard to hear Romo saying, more than once, that we haven't been blown out but that most of our losses are self inflicted.

So true and there is a lot of blame that ultimately falls on McD.

Hopefully the Dorsey firing is a wakeup call for us to play up to our potential in each game from here on out.

Romo’s a good analyst (and a closet Bills fan IMO) so his accurate accounting of the Bills struggles is no surprise, and ya it stung a little. We should easily be 9-2 if not for all the toes being shot off.

Mace
11-20-2023, 05:15 PM

Like I've said, I'm in favor of Brady, even if it's just freshening up something stale, which is maybe. I won't anoint him after 1 game, the next stretch will be the indicator. But the offense intangibly felt a little more dynamic and fluid in a comfortable way.

It's not set in concrete, but they did what they should have done against a good D to score more points comfortably than we have. Could have been a lot more points, but the conclusion was what you want to expect.

My thought is that an OC has to be in tune with his guys on the field to call the right plays at the right time, might be the same plays in a different order because he's looking at tendencies and coverages. In the film room it might be so simple as not just pointing something out but explaining what, why and how, he'd like a play to develop. Dorsey struck me as kind of wooden....don't know he really was....but there's a chance atm, Brady might be a better communicator and that could be a difference in a potential turnovers.

An OC can give a qb too much leash, or he can give better instruction on how much leash there is on a play.

All maybe....it worked for a game.....rest of the season will be an indicator.

Thing I think that impressed me with that game, is using Ty Johnson, and being aware of Shakir, with Cook used out of the backfield finally, and not unnecessarily bouncing passes off of Gabe Davis just because.

Proof will be in the pudding.

sukie
11-20-2023, 05:28 PM
Mace I am cautious when using words like fluid… I’m afraid of leaks.

Mace
11-20-2023, 05:57 PM
Mace I am cautious when using words like fluid… I’m afraid of leaks.
I've noticed this. Your last two shipments of Hawaiian Punch were sacks of dried grains and I've had to shoplift furiously at dollar stores to cover my margins.

Woodman
11-20-2023, 08:51 PM

Yes he did .... some plays will go bye bye others will be added.

Great opportunity for him .... so far so good.