X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

1st game of Joe Brady OC, seems like watching Chiefs offense

Looking back at the game yesterday, those who watched the Chiefs a lot will find it eerily resembling one of the Mahomes normal games. A lot of boring stuff, some layups making you jealous how it is so easy, and a couple of super plays from your QB reminding you they do have a super star QB at the helm when in need. From time to time, your arrogant QB makes some risky throws (which can easily be mistakes).

Allen had one near mistake last night (side line throw that Romo called out), couple of throws very few in NFL makes - Kincaid 3rd down catch in traffic and Shakir TD pass, easy layup TD passes to Cook and Johnson.

Gone are those pretty but difficult honey hole shots, tight window patterns. Not even a back shoulder attempt (which was never an Allen strength).

Having said, it is against a team that is severely offensively challenged. Some may say their D is the best in NFL. True, but we know and I'm sure the Bills knew and Allen was pretty drilled into his head all week that as long as we don't make turnovers, you are going to win. No need to risk anything at all.

The next 4 games, the Bills will be put in positions that the offensive may have to risk something. And that's where we want to see if Joe Brady is able to get them to boat race the others like the Miami game.

Truthfully, if the Bills were playing this version of offense - conservative, not risk anything from the get-go, they are very likely 9-2, losing the Miami and maybe Jags games.
  • sahlensguy
    • Mar 2015

Re: 1st game of Joe Brady OC, seems like watching Chiefs offense

The Bill's needed only 3 field goals to win yesterday and were aided by turnovers and good field position. It was encouraging that we didn't play down to their O, against a great D on a short week.

The wakeup call got through. If we continue to play up to expectations, we are great. We'll see...

Comment

• Skooby
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

Jets defense is the best & hasn’t allowed a 30 point game in 5 years, Brady helped us

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Skooby View Post
        Jets defense is the best & hasn’t allowed a 30 point game in 5 years, Brady helped us
        Not to take away from your point, because the Jets D is excellent, but I’d take the Browns D over them all day. Schwartz can definitely run a D.

Comment

• notacon
          • Aug 2012

Well...the "1st game of Joe Brady OC, seems like watching Chiefs offense" was not necessarily because of anything Joe Brady did (he was after all, still working with Dorsey's offense....Dorsey's schemes, which Joe Brady worked alongside to to develop games plans all year long.)

Plus the offense STILL looked pretty sluggish most of the first half....just like most of the recent games.

It was because Josh Allen played like Patrick Mahomes in close to mistake free football, making good decisions on almost every play....taking what the defense gave him....not making boneheaded, stupid risky superman throws....etc...etc...etc....

Smart QB play makes coaches and OC's look smart. Crappy, sloppy, turnover filled boneheaded QB play (especially from an elite QB who has enormous potential and considerable ability....for the first time in SIX GAMES....since the Miami blow out by NOT turning the ball over (the hail Mary INT is irrelevant) get coaches fired.

Also a HUGE advantage was
          the defense (and special teams) doing something that has been completely foreign (and avoided like herpes) to them the past 6 games....they actually got turnovers.

First interception by the Bills since WEEK FOUR vs Miami....while Josh had at least one INT in every one of those games.

None of that had anything to do with Joe Brady acting as OC, except the desperation hail Mary of McD's firing Dorsey made Josh and the whole team, look into the mirror and motivated them to clean up their dreadful act.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by notacon View Post
            None of that had anything to do with Joe Brady acting as OC, except the desperation hail Mary of McD's firing Dorsey made Josh and the whole team, look into the mirror and motivated them to clean up their dreadful act.
            If you think the Bills offense performance Sunday had nothing to do with the OC Joe Brady, well I don't know if you and I watched the same game, or the same teams... Some more knowledgeable people like Cover 1 may disagree either.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Cover1 people aren't any more knowledgeable than some around here.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Goobylal
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
                Looking back at the game yesterday, those who watched the Chiefs a lot will find it eerily resembling one of the Mahomes normal games. A lot of boring stuff, some layups making you jealous how it is so easy, and a couple of super plays from your QB reminding you they do have a super star QB at the helm when in need. From time to time, your arrogant QB makes some risky throws (which can easily be mistakes).

Allen had one near mistake last night (side line throw that Romo called out), couple of throws very few in NFL makes - Kincaid 3rd down catch in traffic and Shakir TD pass, easy layup TD passes to Cook and Johnson.

Gone are those pretty but difficult honey hole shots, tight window patterns. Not even a back shoulder attempt (which was never an Allen strength).

Having said, it is against a team that is severely offensively challenged.
                Some may say their D is the best in NFL. True, but we know and I'm sure the Bills knew and Allen was pretty drilled into his head all week that as long as we don't make turnovers, you are going to win. No need to risk anything at all.

The next 4 games, the Bills will be put in positions that the offensive may have to risk something. And that's where we want to see if Joe Brady is able to get them to boat race the others like the Miami game.

Truthfully, if the Bills were playing this version of offense - conservative, not risk anything from the get-go, they are very likely 9-2, losing the Miami and maybe Jags games.
                True but the Bills' offense played against the Jets' defense. To see that offensive explosion against a top defense bodes well. Hopefully as Douglas and Joseph, who are excellent if not equal replacements for White and Jones respectively, get more comfortable, and we stop seeing players injured every game, the defense can re-establish itself. ST's looks like a concern though.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                  Cover1 people aren't any more knowledgeable than some around here.
                  they are still amateurs but at least very devoted bunch to the point of going to senior balls and combines with credentials.

Comment

• acehole
                    • Jan 2006

Thought it started slow and I was like here we go again..

One thing I saw from Brady that I did not see from Dorsey is Adjustments.

Dorsey really just said we are doing what we are doing and if done right you should not have a problem.

More checkers then chess.

I love Brady adjusting all game.

I believe that made the difference.

Next week will be a nice test for this team.
                    Hated by the stupid..
                    Loved by their moms.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
                      they are still amateurs but at least very devoted bunch to the point of going to senior balls and combines with credentials.
                      Cover1 isn’t bad at all, they do solid work. You can still see where they hyper focus on their favorite player or try and over analyze a mistake to try and spin it as a positive, but for the most part they do good work. They certainly put a lot of time in.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                        • Aug 2004

Here is some professionals talking about Brady compared to Dorsey, even though they are hired by the Bills. The video where specific comparison of the 2 OCs starts around 4:30 mark. At 7:00 minute mark specifc talk about schemed plays for running backs instead of, as Steve put it, RB goes for a block then turns around, waves his hand "I'm here in case you need me." That is different philosophy all together.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
                          • Nov 2007

I like what I saw too

but it was one game
                          let’s all calm our tits before we start comparing us to Andy Reid
                          I came.
                          I saw.
                          I conquered.

Comment

• Woodman
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Apr 2014

Against the Jet defense is what was most impressive.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by notacon View Post
                              Well...the "1st game of Joe Brady OC, seems like watching Chiefs offense" was not necessarily because of anything Joe Brady did (he was after all, still working with Dorsey's offense....Dorsey's schemes, which Joe Brady worked alongside to to develop games plans all year long.)
                              I think this may be partially accurate, but there was more pre-snap motion with Brady calling plays for guys outside of Diggs to try and give Josh a pre-snap read. Allen's decision tree appeared to be more limited under Brady, which is not something Dorsey was willing to do.

The offense was far more horizontal under Brady than Dorsey. Brady, coming from the Peyton tree, is going to try and make you cover every inch of the field width wise and get you out of tight zones that defenses have found success in playing v. the Bills. He's going to commit more to the run because its an integral part of keeping the defense honest when trying to space them horizontally.

The one thing we didn't see on Sunday that was a Brady special at LSU was once the defense gets stretched horizontally you go up top for a big play. Ideally this is where you see Diggs begin to flourish more in this evolved system, as opposed to have to do more of the dirty work underneath that he did under Dorsey.

In the end, I saw plenty of Dorsey concepts still in the offense, but I don't think its fair to call that Dorsey offense or schemes. There was clearly some evolution in a number of facets on the passing and running game. Still only one game, but I don't think any fan can be disappointed in what they saw.
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X