Do outside perceptions of WR Gabe Davis miss the mark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Do outside perceptions of WR Gabe Davis miss the mark?

Buffalo Bills wide receiver Gabe Davis had a very quiet afternoon in Week 11, facing the New York Jets at home. If you caught the game, you might have wondered if Davis even played. At the conclusion of the Bills’ win, Davis failed to make a catch. Worse yet, he didn’t even have an official target. Out of that effort, the criticisms of Davis have grown even louder by those who believe he’s just not capable of providing consistent production.

Do outside perceptions of Buffalo Bills WR Gabe Davis miss the mark? - Buffalo Rumblings

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Re: Do outside perceptions of WR Gabe Davis miss the mark?

It seems to be that much of the reproval about Davis has come since the 2022 NFL season — the point at which Ken Dorsey took the reigns as offensive coordinator. It will be interesting to see if interim offensive coordinator Joe Brady is able to reinvigorate Davis’ role as WR2 down the stretch of the season.

But what’s behind Davis’ regression? Josh Allen, changes at OC, or is it due to his own undoings?

The knee-jerk reaction would be to say that it’s a Davis thing. After all, he just put up a zero burger against the Jets, with a new offensive coordinator at the helm. But is that fair? What if Davis simply operated well within the role he was asked to provide in Week 11?

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
      Peterman Sucks!
      • Mar 2006

Davis was a flash in the pan with the big playoff game.

Hasn't shown much of anything since that game and certainly has no consistency.

Comment

• sukie
        Seriously?
        • Sep 2012

He’s used now to draw coverage away from where the play is actually going. He’s not getting a new contract. Probably Giants..

Comment

• Mace
          Haha...yeah you think so ?
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by sukie View Post
          He’s used now to draw coverage away from where the play is actually going. He’s not getting a new contract. Probably Giants..
          .....or he sets the pick.....or blocks for the running game.

Still need your wr2 to beat coverages and catch balls during a game.

He's got the rest of the season, I'll see what happens. Stevie Johnson went from concrete hands to catching everything near him during his career. There's a chance, but I'm not optimistic.

Comment

• sukie
            Seriously?
            • Sep 2012

He has run outta time. His rookie deal ends as does his Buffalo stint. WR2 needs to be drafted or docs on chemistry with Shakir. Kincaid will be WR2 by default.

Comment

• Mace
              Haha...yeah you think so ?
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by sukie View Post
              He has run outta time. His rookie deal ends as does his Buffalo stint. WR2 needs to be drafted or docs on chemistry with Shakir. Kincaid will be WR2 by default.
              He already is. He's caught 51 of 58 vs Davis 33 of of 55, they just need to scheme him in space and find another wideout for the passing game to be dominant, which we already knew anyway.

Comment

• sukie
                Seriously?
                • Sep 2012

Draft a WR

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

Davis is a big chunk play receiver ... teams are trying to take away everything downfield and he's occupying guys.

Comment

• acehole
                    • Jan 2006

I like Gabe Davis a lot . His blocking is great for the run game. I think he will get more looks as Brady seems to like the middle of the field.
                    Gabe Davis is a big dog...I don't see him being used on to many quick slants or skinny posts which is how you usually see big body WR's being used.

I know last year he was bothered by an ankle and they kept it quiet.
                    Not sure if he has got a lingering injury or not.

I know he is a team guy and works really hard from what others on the team say.
                    Catch 22 with him the more you feed him the ball the better he plays.
                    Drop a few and you get less targets. Let's see what this week brings.
                    I would like to either see some early targets or Lets get shorter out there.
                    We need to see what we got. Lots of decisions next year.
                    Hated by the stupid..
                    Loved by their moms.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by acehole View Post
                      I like Gabe Davis a lot . His blocking is great for the run game. I think he will get more looks as Brady seems to like the middle of the field.
                      Gabe Davis is a big dog...I don't see him being used on to many quick slants or skinny posts which is how you usually see big body WR's being used.

I know last year he was bothered by an ankle and they kept it quiet.
                      Not sure if he has got a lingering injury or not.

I know he is a team guy and works really hard from what others on the team say.
                      Catch 22 with him the more you feed him the ball the better he plays.
                      Drop a few and you get less targets. Let's see what this week brings.
                      I would like to either see some early targets or Lets get shorter out there.
                      We need to see what we got. Lots of decisions next year.
                      His routes are a bigger issue than his drops. He’s not a reliable route runner and that why he’s not getting as many targets. Great blocker, plays hard, and is always willing to stand up for his teammates, but if you’re not on time then you’re not going to get the ball.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• John Doe
                        Florida Man
                        • Jul 2002

The coaching staff loves Davis, regardless of his production. He leads the team's wide receivers in total snap counts for the season and had the most snaps this last week as well.

Comment

• jamze132
                          Don’t hate…
                          • Jun 2003

He shows up in big games. He has a focus that shows during big moments and he’s a guy you want in the playoffs. Not sure why his mindset changes during big games but there’s other players who completely disappear when it really counts.

Comment

• sukie
                            Seriously?
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
                            He shows up in big games. He has a focus that shows during big moments and he’s a guy you want in the playoffs. Not sure why his mindset changes during big games but there’s other players who completely disappear when it really counts.
                            we have had big games THIS season and where was he? He’s got a track record of big games totaling 1… in Arrowhead.

Comment

• Historian
                              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                              Stevie Johnson went from concrete hands to catching everything near him during his career. There's a chance, but I'm not optimistic.
                              Funny you mention SJ, because the two are the same receiver, IMHO.

They both make the difficult catch look easy.

The passes between the 1 and the 3....not so much.

Comment

Working...
                              X