• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mad Max
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
    • Mar 2003

Does it make you sad?

As I’m watching the halftime show highlights of the Bills/Eagles game I got hit in the face by how many times the Bills have been involved in miracle finish games. Always on the losing end.

gotta be a professional sports team record of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

I’m trying to slowly wean myself from spectator pro sports (I’m now convinced they’re used by the ruling elite to pacify the plebeians :) ?)
    But for some reason I can’t disconnect my emotions from the Bills.
  • Chet
    Allenhu Joshbar
    • Feb 2017

Re: Does it make you sad?

It’s brutal but the hook is in us and we’re married to this needle for life. Best you can do is look out for your children and don’t pass the pain of this fandom on to them. Give them a chance to enjoy their Sundays

Comment

• Novacane
      • Jul 2002

Not really. Years ago I'd let it affect me. Not anymore. It's a football game. I won't allow myself to get upset about things I can't control.

Comment

• Mad Max
        Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
        Not really. Years ago I'd let it affect me. Not anymore. It's a football game. I won't allow myself to get upset about things I can't control.
        I accomplished this with my baseball/basketball/hockey and college teams. But the Bills I just can’t let go of… (maybe the fact that all of my other teams have won championships in my lifetime made it easier with them)

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
          • Mar 2004

You are who your head coach is.

consistent penalties, players making consistent mistakes, folding under pressure, inability to adjust in games. That weak leadership.

Comment

• sahlensguy
            • Mar 2015

Yeah, man. Sad. We have a QB for the ages and this team/coach can't get out of their own way.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
              As I’m watching the halftime show highlights of the Bills/Eagles game I got hit in the face by how many times the Bills have been involved in miracle finish games. Always on the losing end.

gotta be a professional sports team record of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

I’m trying to slowly wean myself from spectator pro sports (I’m now convinced they’re used by the ruling elite to pacify the plebeians :) ?)
              But for some reason I can’t disconnect my emotions from the Bills.
              I was around a bunch of people who aren’t Bills fans, and when the Bills took the late lead, I said “we never win these games.” I was sadly right.

Oh, and I let out a very loud tirade of expletives in a sparsely packed bar in front of my parents, my 4 year old niece and other family, including my wife’s sister’s bf whom I just met 5 days ago and doesn’t watch football.

We are always on the wrong end of these spectacular endings. I was going to list them, but why? If you’re reading this, you already know.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mad Max
                Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                I was around a bunch of people who aren’t Bills fans, and when the Bills took the late lead, I said “we never win these games.” I was sadly right.

Oh, and I let out a very loud tirade of expletives in a sparsely packed bar in front of my parents, my 4 year old niece and other family, including my wife’s sister’s bf whom I just met 5 days ago and doesn’t watch football.

We are always on the wrong end of these spectacular endings. I was going to list them, but why? If you’re reading this, you already know.
                Hahah they were looking at you with the dog head tilt looks. yes sir I too was gonna list em but as you said we all know them all too well…the problem is the list keeps getting added to every few weeks.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                  • Mar 2004

I think all of us knew what was going to happen, before it even happened.

We have been conditioned like rats. I’m glad I’ll likely never get to see them in a Super Bowl, because I highly doubt I’d enjoy it, or even survive it

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Chet View Post
                    It’s brutal but the hook is in us and we’re married to this needle for life. Best you can do is look out for your children and don’t pass the pain of this fandom on to them. Give them a chance to enjoy their Sundays
                    Too late. Grandkids, too.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
                      I accomplished this with my baseball/basketball/hockey and college teams. But the Bills I just can’t let go of… (maybe the fact that all of my other teams have won championships in my lifetime made it easier with them)
                      It's a hometown thing, lack of availability of local teams in other sports. I've been able to latch on to teams in other sports when they were just starting to build something and follow them through the joy of winning it all. MLB, NBA, NCAA basketball and football. Hell, even tennis and the America's Cup.

But not the NFL or NHL.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                        It's a hometown thing, lack of availability of local teams in other sports. I've been able to latch on to teams in other sports when they were just starting to build something and follow them through the joy of winning it all. MLB, NBA, NCAA basketball and football. Hell, even tennis and the America's Cup.

But not the NFL or NHL.
                        Not just a local thing. I'm not from Buffalo, but I've been a fan since my pre-teen years. Bills fans are from a different breed. Most of the people my age have switched favorite teams, but a Bills fan is a Bills fan forever.

I don't know if we are stupid or just loyal to a fault

Comment

• Mad Max
                          Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                          Not just a local thing. I'm not from Buffalo, but I've been a fan since my pre-teen years. Bills fans are from a different breed. Most of the people my age have switched favorite teams, but a Bills fan is a Bills fan forever.

I don't know if we are stupid or just loyal to a fault
                          I’m not from Buffalo either followed Jim Kelly to Buffalo and have been a fan ever since. Indeed we must be the most stupid/masochistic/research study worthy sub-section of Bills fans?

I’d be in a sub-section if the sub-section since I have lived in Boston Metro for most of the Pats title era…and never once considered jumping allegiance.

Comment

• Historian
                            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                            • Dec 2002

....and you guys aren't even old enough to remember the 70's!

Now you can perhaps understand how 0-20 to the fish happens.

We were in many of those games, but the odd penalty here and there, a critical turnover, etc, and ten years later, boom!

Hell, we were beating the Eagles 14-0 in a rare Thursday night game in 1981, and still managed to lose the game, 20-14.

As soon as you realize the Bills, the Lions, the Browns, et al, are only there as fodder for the big market teams to beat on, the better off you'll be.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
                              • Nov 2007

I wish it didn’t depress me but it does

still, as I’ve gotten older I’ve handled it much better
                              I came.
                              I saw.
                              I conquered.

Comment

Working...
                              X