Some thoughts about the game and the team in general...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Some thoughts about the game and the team in general...

So, I've had some time to calm down and think about the game and the state of the team right now:

-It sucks to be on the losing end of so many of these epic games. 13 Seconds, Hail Murray, this past Sunday.... it goes back decades to the Mirage and it keeps happening and we keep being on the wrong end of it.

-McD's teams have too few signature wins against top teams and too many losses against inferior competition. And it's not just this season. It's been his whole career here. Bills' fans know as well as anyone how hard it is to find a good head coach, so I don't know what the answer is, but I've lost confidence that McD can win a SB.

-That being said, the real issue isn't losing to the Eagles. No one else can beat them either. And beating the Bengals with a healthy Burrow is a huge challenge too. The real issue is losing to the Jets, Broncos, Jags and Patriots. We should have gone into this game with 2 losses, and even with a loss to the Eagles, we'd still be in the hunt for the #1 seed and still be in the division race.

-The refs were absolutely atrocious. I know, people will point out all the mistakes the Bills made and say that we can't blame the refs. True. Here's the problem: when the Bills make mistakes, they lose games. We're sitting at 6-6, 10th in the conference. Winning the division is virtually impossible and making the playoffs at all is highly unlikely. Those are the consequences for those mistakes. Where are the consequences for the officiating mistakes? There are no fines, suspensions, discipline. There is no L on the season record for them.

-Even if the Bills do sneak into the playoffs, we aren't going anywhere. The Eagles game shows that the D is too depleted to slow down top offenses.

-On the positive front, the OL is playing better and Kincaid looks like he'll be a solid offensive weapon. Not sure what to make of Shakir but he's had some good games too.

-The entire defensive backfield needs to be rebuilt. Poyer and Hyde are great players, but they've aged out. White can't stay healthy and isn't the same player he was, even when healthy.

-The future is not good. We're $42 million over the projected cap for 2024, so it will be difficult-if not impossible- to make any improvements. We are going to waste the rest of Josh's prime rebuilding. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2024/
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

Re: Some thoughts about the game and the team in general...

If it makes you feel any better, Floyd and Daquan are both signed for next season, for basically peanuts.

I also was able to get the Bills to roughly 25 million under the cap without too much work.

I'm not worried about the cap, not as much as I thought I'd be after messing around on Sportrac.

Beane has been drafting pretty well, of course he's made a few booboos that are glaringly bad like Elam (there's still time for him to develop, I suppose), Boogie, etc. But he has drafted a lot of guys who are starting right now.

Torrence, Brown, Josh, Gabe, Kincaid, Shakir (Is he starting as the slot? I could be wrong)

Benford, Rousseau, Epenesa, Oliver, Benard, Dotson

This upcoming draft will be HUGE for the team, as they are going to have to draft a safety, unless they sign or trade for one, which seems unlikely. They are also likely going to have to draft a WR, unless they re-sign Gabe. I'd still like to see them draft Diggs' replacement, as I can't see him sticking around after 2024, but you never know.

The offensive line has improved a bunch. I would even go as far to say that it's not even an issue of concern at this point.

What sucks is all of the injuries on the Defensive side have kind of skewed what the team actually needs. The corners have played relatively well, even Dane. The D-line is one of the best in the NFL, so really only depth is required there.

It's funny to think and say this, because they are 6-6 and staring at missing the playoffs, but I think this team is in better shape that it was at this point last year, roster wise.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

One thing I forgot: How many times is Josh going to put up video game numbers against a top opponent, only to end up losing the game anyway because no one else did their job? He has to be getting incredibly frustrated at this point.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• sukie
        Seriously?
        • Sep 2012

The D did slow down a good offense. Until the Russification set in. Bills were controlling both sides of this game.

if bills play exactly like this , same plays, they win out easily.

Comment

• Mad Max
          Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
          So, I've had some time to calm down and think about the game and the state of the team right now:

-It sucks to be on the losing end of so many of these epic games. 13 Seconds, Hail Murray, this past Sunday.... it goes back decades to the Mirage and it keeps happening and we keep being on the wrong end of it.

-McD's teams have too few signature wins against top teams and too many losses against inferior competition. And it's not just this season. It's been his whole career here. Bills' fans know as well as anyone how hard it is to find a good head coach, so I don't know what the answer is, but I've lost confidence that McD can win a SB.

-That being said, the real issue isn't losing to the Eagles. No one else can beat them either. And beating the Bengals with a healthy Burrow is a huge challenge too. The real issue is losing to the Jets, Broncos, Jags and Patriots. We should have gone into this game with 2 losses, and even with a loss to the Eagles, we'd still be in the hunt for the #1 seed and still be in the division race.

-The refs were absolutely atrocious. I know, people will point out all the mistakes the Bills made and say that we can't blame the refs. True. Here's the problem: when the Bills make mistakes, they lose games. We're sitting at 6-6, 10th in the conference. Winning the division is virtually impossible and making the playoffs at all is highly unlikely. Those are the consequences for those mistakes. Where are the consequences for the officiating mistakes? There are no fines, suspensions, discipline. There is no L on the season record for them.

-Even if the Bills do sneak into the playoffs, we aren't going anywhere. The Eagles game shows that the D is too depleted to slow down top offenses.

-On the positive front, the OL is playing better and Kincaid looks like he'll be a solid offensive weapon. Not sure what to make of Shakir but he's had some good games too.

-The entire defensive backfield needs to be rebuilt. Poyer and Hyde are great players, but they've aged out. White can't stay healthy and isn't the same player he was, even when healthy.

-The future is not good. We're $42 million over the projected cap for 2024, so it will be difficult-if not impossible- to make any improvements. We are going to waste the rest of Josh's prime rebuilding. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2024/
          You’re starting to sprinkle a little positivity into your usual barrage of doom and gloom. I’m proud of you man!

As I’ve said repeatedly the NFL is meh right now, there are zero dominant teams. Every single contender has holes, holes which just as we won’t be able to they aren’t going to be able to completely fill next year.

Like Forward stated the cap can be manipulated, we need a good draft, maybe one or two key FA, get everyone healthy, and improve the punter and kicker. We’ll be right back in it.

Comment

• Novacane
            • Jul 2002

I don't necessarily agree it's hard to find a good HC. I think most of our discarded HC would have had similar success if they'd of had Josh Allen. Great players make good coaches. The great coaches provide that little Xtra to get over the hump.

Comment

• Novacane
              • Jul 2002

In other words, it's not all going to go to hell if McDermott is fired. Not as long as JA is here.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                If it makes you feel any better, Floyd and Daquan are both signed for next season, for basically peanuts.

I also was able to get the Bills to roughly 25 million under the cap without too much work.

I'm not worried about the cap, not as much as I thought I'd be after messing around on Sportrac.

Beane has been drafting pretty well, of course he's made a few booboos that are glaringly bad like Elam (there's still time for him to develop, I suppose), Boogie, etc. But he has drafted a lot of guys who are starting right now.

Torrence, Brown, Josh, Gabe, Kincaid, Shakir (Is he starting as the slot? I could be wrong)

Benford, Rousseau, Epenesa, Oliver, Benard, Dotson

This upcoming draft will be HUGE for the team, as they are going to have to draft a safety, unless they sign or trade for one, which seems unlikely. They are also likely going to have to draft a WR, unless they re-sign Gabe. I'd still like to see them draft Diggs' replacement, as I can't see him sticking around after 2024, but you never know.

The offensive line has improved a bunch. I would even go as far to say that it's not even an issue of concern at this point.

What sucks is all of the injuries on the Defensive side have kind of skewed what the team actually needs. The corners have played relatively well, even Dane. The D-line is one of the best in the NFL, so really only depth is required there.

It's funny to think and say this, because they are 6-6 and staring at missing the playoffs, but I think this team is in better shape that it was at this point last year, roster wise.
                Floyd is not under contract next year, just fyi.

Comment

• Mace
                  Haha...yeah you think so ?
                  • Mar 2013

Lost my whole post, screw it.

Comment

• Ed
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Buffalogic View Post
                    That's correct. Floyd, Daquan, Hyde and Settle all show up on the 2024 roster as cap hits because of void years. They're just dead money at the moment.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

I agree with everything except this...

If we get in we can beat anybody, there isn't an offense out there that can't be stopped, all we need is a couple of breaks.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mad Max
                        Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                        I agree with everything except this...

If we get in we can beat anybody, there isn't an offense out there that can't be stopped, all we need is a couple of breaks.
                        Agreed. I guarantee no one will be looking forward to playing us.

Comment

• sukie
                          Seriously?
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
                          Agreed. I guarantee no one will be looking forward to playing us.
                          Especially Philly

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Buffalogic View Post
                            Originally posted by Ed View Post
                            That's correct. Floyd, Daquan, Hyde and Settle all show up on the 2024 roster as cap hits because of void years. They're just dead money at the moment.
                            How can Floyd be dead money next year? He was only signed this off season?

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                              How can Floyd be dead money next year? He was only signed this off season?
                              Leonard Floyd contract and salary cap details, full contract breakdowns, salaries, signing bonus, roster bonus, dead money, and valuations.

Teams are allowed to spread out the signing bonus over 4 years max if the player is signed after a certain date, I believe. Helps expensive vets that have been a cap casualty get a (basically) one year deal with somebody else, and helps the team stay under the cap, so both the owners and NFLPA are good with the intentional loophole.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X