• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

NFL will become “very global” with more international games

The NFL played three games in England and two in Germany this season. But if five games a year outside the United States seems like a lot, Roger Goodell says just wait.

Goodell believes the NFL can become a global league, with U.S.-based franchises playing all over the world.

“I am convinced that this game is going to be a global sport,” Goodell said, via the Associated Press. “We could’ve sold over our two games in Germany 4.5 million tickets. They sold out in minutes. And it’s literally the same with the U.K. I think you’re going to see a very global NFL, not necessarily with franchises, but maybe like have one playing games on a global basis. And I see that happening in the next five to 10 years.”

The NFL remains invested in England and Germany, also plans to return to Mexico, and may soon play games in Brazil and Spain.

“We’re really excited about that,” Goodell said. “I don’t see that as much as expanding the number of franchises as I do expanding the opportunity for people to really just enjoy the game.”

Goodell- NFL will become "very global" with more international games over next 5-10 years - NBC Sports

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Re: NFL will become “very global” with more international games

I hate these games !!

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
      • Mar 2004

I could see a future where the NFL has a European conference

Comment

• Mad Max
        Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
        • Mar 2003

The more the merrier.

just the next time we go get there early would you?!

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
          I can't see it happening. The time zone difference makes it too difficult for travel and even just for fans to watch games. More importantly, I don't think the interest is there. It's one thing when it's a spectacle and they may never do a Germany game again. What happens if they put a team in Munich and the team is 0-7 at Halloween?

Canadians have made it clear that they want the NFL on our side of the border so it doesn't compete with the NFL. The only international location that makes sense for regular games is Mexico.

And honestly, though, I just don't know if the interest is there internationally. I don't have numbers or anything to back this up, but it seems to me like most of the world views American football the way we view soccer and cricket. They just don't care.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
            I can't see it happening. The time zone difference makes it too difficult for travel and even just for fans to watch games. More importantly, I don't think the interest is there. It's one thing when it's a spectacle and they may never do a Germany game again. What happens if they put a team in Munich and the team is 0-7 at Halloween?

Canadians have made it clear that they want the NFL on our side of the border so it doesn't compete with the NFL. The only international location that makes sense for regular games is Mexico.

And honestly, though, I just don't know if the interest is there internationally. I don't have numbers or anything to back this up, but it seems to me like most of the world views American football the way we view soccer and cricket. They just don't care.
            I should've said division, not conference.

I think they'd have more than enough interest for 2 England teams and 2 German teams.

The only question would be, does the NFL expand there or do current teams ala Jax, move there?

If you had a division it would make travel much more easy on teams. Teams would have to make a 2-3 game road trip there.

Canada is much different. Remember, we have the CFL, and CFL fans are very passionate and do not support an NFL team coming into their city and possibly killing their team. Germany and England don't have any type of professional football.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
              Peterman Sucks!
              • Mar 2006

I'm shocked the NFLPA hasn't stepped in on this and demanded more pay/benefits for players to continue to go overseas and the loss of revenue for the teams themselves by losing a home game or just said we don't want our players to have to deal with the travel demands of lengthy flights, jetlag and fatigue - then trying to play a physical grueling football game with that.

There's zero chance there will be teams who call London, or other European cities, home as travel for those players will be grueling. Even if you had 4 teams in Europe where you could get them to play each other 6 times a piece during the year, they'd have 11 other games that they'd be playing in the US. You'd have to schedule all 11 of those games basically in a row so players/coaches aren't going from Germany on a Sunday night to the US to play on Thursday to then to England for a game the following Sunday - just an example. Which then means these players don't see their family for 6, 7, 11 or 12 consecutive weeks...depending on bye week and where their family decides to live.

Then lets think of playoffs. Say a team in London gets home field, you're now having a US team have to travel over to Europe to play in a Conference Championship game?

Comment

• Bill Cody
                • Sep 2004

The outside US stuff blows. Example 1,000,000 of the unquenchable greed of the NFL.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                  • Sep 2004

I should've said division, not conference.

I think they'd have more than enough interest for 2 England teams and 2 German teams.

The only question would be, does the NFL expand there or do current teams ala Jax, move there?

If you had a division it would make travel much more easy on teams. Teams would have to make a 2-3 game road trip there.

Canada is much different. Remember, we have the CFL, and CFL fans are very passionate and do not support an NFL team coming into their city and possibly killing their team. Germany and England don't have any type of professional football.
                  No travel. Ever. If the NFL wants a league over there let them form one. I hope they do and I hope it fails spectacularly.

Comment

• Mace
                    Haha...yeah you think so ?
                    • Mar 2013

If Europe could support a league, they'd have one.

But....I can see the unquenchable greed (nice, Cody), driving them to force it.

The simple answer would be a European league and a singular "global championship"....but again, Europe doesn't bend over backward to support American football, it's a novelty that's fun for a day, but every week ? Hasn't happened.

One critical fiasco, unlikely but possible, and you lose an NFL franchise in transit.....even losing a bad franchise, it's a pricey irreplaceable asset for an owner.

Unless he and the league are just that greedy and figure it minimal inconvenience. How many times have the Dallas Cowboys played in Europe ? Once, in 2014. Marquee team, yeah ?

No, stop it already.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

I have zero issue with growing the game. Hell they probably need to given the current fall off in youth football participation domestically.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                        I have zero issue with growing the game. Hell they probably need to given the current fall off in youth football participation domestically.
                        But it won’t. Even if you somehow got youth football started in Europe, they’d never be good enough to compete with Americans because their best athletes won’t be playing football. It’s the same reason no American has ever been successful in European soccer leagues.

The NFL is a business so you can’t blame them for trying to find new markets. But they are ****ing over the players and fans chasing a market that just isn’t there.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                          But it won’t. Even if you somehow got youth football started in Europe, they’d never be good enough to compete with Americans because their best athletes won’t be playing football. It’s the same reason no American has ever been successful in European soccer leagues.

The NFL is a business so you can’t blame them for trying to find new markets. But they are ****ing over the players and fans chasing a market that just isn’t there.
                          There are a lot of Americans who have both been and are currently successful in European soccer leagues.

The players are getting screwed for sure and they need to be better compensated. The fans aren’t a factor.
                          COMING SOON...
                          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Ford Pinto
                            • Feb 2023

I can see that also. US based teams would play in Europe for 2 straight weeks.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                              There are a lot of Americans who have both been and are currently successful in European soccer leagues.

The players are getting screwed for sure and they need to be better compensated. The fans aren’t a factor.
                              The fans are the only reason they make any money. If no one is watching, the advertisers pull out and the money goes away. And believe me, no one on the west coast is watching games from Germany at 6 am.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X