• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Bills running game

Some interesting tidbits:
    -----------------------------
    Turbin says running backs expect games to be a slog at times, but continued touches throughout the course of the game wear on a defense. Interim offensive coordinator Joe Brady has termed those situations “bloody runs,” and Bills running backs have at least 30 carries in his first two games, the first time the franchise has done that since Rex Ryan’s final two games as head coach in 2016.
    ----------------------------
    Turbin looks back to his time with the Seattle Seahawks — who were top-three in rushing attempts and yards in his first three seasons — and they were an outside zone team. They might have different variations, personnel, formations and blocking schemes, but it was all outside zone runs.
    The San Francisco 49ers gashed the same Eagles defense for 146 yards Sunday using the same philosophy. Buffalo, meanwhile, bounces between man blocking and zone schemes, sometimes from play to play.
    “There’s all sorts of different nuances that are mixed in (with the 49ers), but with the Bills, that’s not there,” Turbin said. “That creativity isn’t there. Because of that lack of identity and consistency, you can be successful one week because you try something new. But you still have to find who your personality is on a consistent basis and then mix it up from there.”

The offensive line and running backs are largely healthy this year. Interesting they have not found an identity and hone in that.

• Mad Max
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
    • Mar 2003

Re: Bills running game

Hopefully Brady adapts and utilizes a “backup plan” when needed so we don’t waste so many runs up the gut for zero yards.

imagine the Bills with a top 5 rushing attack NOT including any well timed Josh runs. That would be an absolutely lethal (and consistent) offense.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
      • Aug 2004

Imagine Kyle Shanahan having Josh Allen...

He did try to find his Josh Allen though...

The other way around seems to be difficult as well - can McDermott find a Kyle Shanahan while he has Allen?

Comment

• Mad Max
        Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
        Imagine Kyle Shanahan having Josh Allen...

He did try to find his Josh Allen though...

The other way around seems to be difficult as well - can McDermott find a Kyle Shanahan while he has Allen?
        That would be an absolute embarrassment of riches. Dynsastic dare I say (in another thread I hypothesized the 9ers would have won the Super Bowl last year and then again this year with the addition of Josh).

As a side note, the 9ers seem to have a magical way of backing into a very good QB…

Steve Young was a bust with the Bucs, ends up in the HOF

Jeff Garcia CFL to NFL pro bowler

Colin Kaepernick backup to number one pick Alex Smith to Super Bowl starter

Brock Purdy an actual, not metaphorical “Mr. Irrelevant” supplants a guy that 3 first round picks were traded for and becomes a top rated QB

If it were in a Hollywood script it would be written off as completely unbelievable nonsense.

bonkers

Comment

• acehole
          • Jan 2006

This is a great sign. I dont think the structure of the team has to be build around the run and strong defense ...but as others have said predicable passing game was not the answer.

If teams know where you are going with the ball they sit on routes...IE josh up tick in INT.

Run to open up our pass instead of pass to open up our run in is a better option when you have Josh Allen as your QB.
          On the face of it Brady seems to be more more committed to the run.

We have a new pony to try out this week who can pass block..
          If we can run...we open up the short pass...if we open up the short pass we open un the intermediate pass..ect...then hard to cover all.

You always have to respect the long ball with josh.
          A run game....keeps Safeties lower in the box reduces INTs as well...and give us a better chance at longer passes.
          If our Defense can stop somebody in the 4th quarter and mc Dermot stops listening to good bye horses in his AirPods while putting on lipstick and falling apart then we have a shot.
          Hated by the stupid..
          Loved by their moms.

Comment

• acehole
            • Jan 2006

The niners went all in Christian Mcaffery because they have balls and believe in thier team and other players.

Imagine if we did that?
            Hated by the stupid..
            Loved by their moms.

Comment

• sukie
              Seriously?
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by acehole View Post
              The niners went all in Christian Mcaffery because they have balls and believe in thier team and other players.

Imagine if we did that?
              Von’s contract made that impossible. Plus they overpaid for Knox and Purdy is cheap.

Hey but we have Lombardi Lenny.

Comment

• notacon
                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
                Hopefully Brady adapts and utilizes a “backup plan” when needed so we don’t waste so many runs up the gut for zero yards.

imagine the Bills with a top 5 rushing attack NOT including any well timed Josh runs. That would be an absolutely lethal (and consistent) offense.
                Interestingly the Bills this year are a top 10 rushing team, only 14.5 yards per game average off being top five. (San Fran is #5 with 136.8 avg yards per game....63% or 86 yards per game are from McCaffrey).

Baltimore is the #1 rushing team with 158.6 avg yards per game, 47.8 yards (or 30%) are from Lamar Jackson.

Buffalo is #10 rushing team with 122.3 avg yards per game, 28.5 (or 23%) are from Josh Allen.

Also interesting is that the Bills have the second least rushing carries of the top 10....332.

Baltimore (#1 in rushing yards per game avg) and Cleveland (#7) have the most with 390. Miami (#2) has the least 326. Tua has only 40 yards rushing.

Miami is also the #1 in passing yards ore game. They are the team to emulate.

Comment

• sukie
                  Seriously?
                  • Sep 2012

FFS 4-NET , WTF?

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

Buffalo's offense is very diverse. If teams scheme to take something away, Brady needs to adapt. I think the Bills can run the ball, but I don't think the Bills should make that their team identity. How much they run should depend on the strengths of the opposing team among other factors. To me, one of the important characteristics of an offensive coordinator is the ability to adapt the offense to the circumstances: the strengths and weaknesses of the other team, weather conditions etc.
                    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                    X