• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chet
    Allenhu Joshbar
    • Feb 2017

He McDermott Problem

“This job’s too hard to fight from within and that’s what you do there. ... You’ve got to overcome the head coach." Our three-part series begins with a look at life at One Bills Drive.

“This three-part series is the culmination of 25 extended interviews with coaches, players, personnel men and other team sources who’ve passed through One Bills Drive. Many were granted anonymity to speak freely without the fear of retribution.”
    One of the quotes:

“You preach accountability,” one player said. “But you don’t practice it.”
  • sukie
    Seriously?
    • Sep 2012

Re: He McDermott Problem

I read snippets of this. Most bosses blow. Nice guys don’t even finish last… they get whacked after 11 games.

those that can’t … teach

had 13 seconds not happened, this wouldn’t have been an article. I’m sure tyranny exists in a lot of programs.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
      • Nov 2007

Wait

did I read that right? He said the offense scored too quick during 13 seconds? Please tell me I read that wrong
      I came.
      I saw.
      I conquered.

Comment

• Woodman
        Legendary Zoner
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
        Wait

did I read that right? He said the offense scored too quick during 13 seconds? Please tell me I read that wrong
        Yup he said it.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
          Yup he said it.
          Allegedly

Comment

• Chet
            Allenhu Joshbar
            • Feb 2017

I’m looking forward to the other two parts of this piece as well. McDermott’s becoming radioactive, and we still have 5 weeks left in this slow death of a season for even more of his transgressions to come to light.

We’re nearly there, fellas. Just one more head to lop off before hope returns to Buffalo

Comment

• Woodman
              Legendary Zoner
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
              Allegedly
              Of course.

He's allegedly a defense expert.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                Peterman Sucks!
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by sukie View Post
                I read snippets of this. Most bosses blow. Nice guys don’t even finish last… they get whacked after 11 games.

those that can’t … teach

had 13 seconds not happened, this wouldn’t have been an article. I’m sure tyranny exists in a lot of programs.
                Meh, even if that didn't happen, this season on top of the team completely coming out disinterested in a playoff game against the Bengals with a gameplan on offense and defense that many people question would put these vibes into the air.

If we were 10-2 right now, none of this would exist and people would be upbeat and positive...until the next playoff collapse.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
                  Of course.

He's allegedly a defense expert.
                  He's an expert in one thing. Deflecting blame onto others. And there's enough people who buy it hook, line and sinker.

Comment

• Mad Max
                    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
                    Wait

If he did he certainly doesn’t learn from his mistakes. Most recent example I absolutely knew we were going to score too quickly on the last drive in regulation against the eagles.

Comment

• Chet
                      Allenhu Joshbar
                      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
                      If he did he certainly doesn’t learn from his mistakes. Most recent example I absolutely knew we were going to score too quickly on the last drive in regulation against the eagles.
                      13 seconds was too much time in his book. Yet 20 seconds with one timeout and a red hot Josh Allen is not enough.

Everything this guy does is a losing move

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                        • Mar 2004

At St. John Fisher College in Pittsford, N.Y., McDermott’s morning address began innocently enough,” Dunne writes. “He told the entire team they needed to come together. But then, sources on-hand say, he used a strange model: the terrorists on Sept. 11, 2001. He cited the hijackers as a group of people who were all able to get on the same page to orchestrate attacks to perfection. One by one, McDermott started asking specific players in the room questions. ‘What tactics do you think they used to come together?’ A young player tried to methodically answer. ‘What do you think their biggest obstacle was?’ A veteran answered, ‘TSA,’ which mercifully lightened the mood.”

- - - Updated - - -

In December 2021, locals will recall the news of a woman deliberately driving into the waterway that spills into the falls,” Dunne explains. “She drifted down the Niagara River before her vehicle was lodged against a rock about 50 yards from the brink. McDermott studied up and pieced together a speech. The coach explained how members from the Coast Guard did everything they could to save the woman. He built up the drama. Players held on tight for an inspiring apex, and . . . nothing. He said the woman died. End of story. The complete absence of a point had some players biting their tongues, trying their hardest not to laugh.”

Comment

• Mad Max
                          Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Canadian'eh! View Post
                          At St. John Fisher College in Pittsford, N.Y., McDermott’s morning address began innocently enough,” Dunne writes. “He told the entire team they needed to come together. But then, sources on-hand say, he used a strange model: the terrorists on Sept. 11, 2001. He cited the hijackers as a group of people who were all able to get on the same page to orchestrate attacks to perfection. One by one, McDermott started asking specific players in the room questions. ‘What tactics do you think they used to come together?’ A young player tried to methodically answer. ‘What do you think their biggest obstacle was?’ A veteran answered, ‘TSA,’ which mercifully lightened the mood.”

- - - Updated - - -

In December 2021, locals will recall the news of a woman deliberately driving into the waterway that spills into the falls,” Dunne explains. “She drifted down the Niagara River before her vehicle was lodged against a rock about 50 yards from the brink. McDermott studied up and pieced together a speech. The coach explained how members from the Coast Guard did everything they could to save the woman. He built up the drama. Players held on tight for an inspiring apex, and . . . nothing. He said the woman died. End of story. The complete absence of a point had some players biting their tongues, trying their hardest not to laugh.”
                          Man I just skimmed through that article, It absolutely nuked McDermot. WTF uses the trash you quoted as motivation?

I think his fatal flaw(s) are summarized by the following, which many of us had noted in the past:

”…He’s a coaching relic routinely paralyzed by fear late in games. He never imagines what could go right with 20 seconds left in regulation, instead forever horrified of what could go wrong. Oblivious to the reality that he employs one of the sport’s most talented quarterbacks. The word you’ll hear constantly from those who’ve been around McDermott is “tight.” He’s so incomprehensibly tight, they say, players cannot help but stiffen up themselves…”

I have personally been ambivalent towards him but this article I think has swayed me into the camp that he has to go. This off-season.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
                            Man I just skimmed through that article, It absolutely nuked McDermot. WTF uses the trash you quoted as motivation?

I think his fatal flaw(s) are summarized by the following, which many of us had noted in the past:

”…He’s a coaching relic routinely paralyzed by fear late in games. He never imagines what could go right with 20 seconds left in regulation, instead forever horrified of what could go wrong. Oblivious to the reality that he employs one of the sport’s most talented quarterbacks. The word you’ll hear constantly from those who’ve been around McDermott is “tight.” He’s so incomprehensibly tight, they say, players cannot help but stiffen up themselves…”

I have personally been ambivalent towards him but this article I think has swayed me into the camp that he has to go. This off-season.
                            McD spoke to the media today and confirmed the 9/11 part as true….

Comment

• Mad Max
                              Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Canadian'eh! View Post
                              McD spoke to the media today and confirmed the 9/11 part as true….
                              Bonkers. The dude may be best as a DC.

Comment

Working...
                              X