We play to win the game!
    • Oct 2009

Looks like players actually like McDermott. I was wrong

📸 Watch this video on Facebook

Sounds like Diggs screaming we got your back! He smiled
  • jamze132
    • Jun 2003

Re: Looks like players actually like McDermott. I was wrong

Awe, I know there’s some butthurt posters here who won’t want to hear this.

Comment

• Novacane
      • Jul 2002

Circle the wagons.

Comment

• Buffalogic
        Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
        • Feb 2006

McDermott is a whipping boy for a lot of the fanbase but it is undeserved. I think this week proved that.

Comment

• Novacane
          • Jul 2002

If it makes them play with an us against the world attitude, that's a good thing.

Comment

• acehole
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by BuffaloBlitz83 View Post
            One thing is for sure...They played for him.,,on Sunday
            Hated by the stupid..
            Loved by their moms.

Comment

• FanBack
              • May 2023

Tyler Dunne has a Podcast called 'Go Long'. His two favorite guests? Jim Monos and Doug Whaley. I used to watch it; friendly enough guys and good scouts. But there is a reason we started winning with Beane/McDermott. You can see the episodes on YouTube.

Now, considering the two guests, could there be an ax to grind with McDermott?

Comment

• Goobylal
                • Jan 2004

I like McD. He turned around a losing franchise in his first year as HC despite everyone thinking he/the Bills were tanking. And he's a good coach. I just don't think he's a championship winning coach.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Players dont want to go to a team or take discounts to play for a team if they dont like their coach. its obvious they like him. He may not make the right calls but he is a team player.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                    My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                    • Apr 2004

His aggressiveness on KC's last drive was exactly what this team needed to see.

Floyd came through on that 4th down to force the throw.

Diggs was a cheerleader all game and kept plugging even as KC took him out.

McDermott looked like he was near tears after the 4th down stop.

Comment

• FanBack
                      • May 2023

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                      I like McD. He turned around a losing franchise in his first year as HC despite everyone thinking he/the Bills were tanking. And he's a good coach. I just don't think he's a championship winning coach.
                      And that's fair and I may be getting to that point.

Some fans discount everything he did and everything he does so right off of the field. His 'power play' to get rid of Whaley (and Brandon) was the key into turning this franchise around. When they left, a lot of disfunction left.

I think he gets one more year barring a total collapse. Otherwise, any A-list serious coaching candidate will not come here.

McDermott and Beane got Josh Allen; that is the only thing that allows the 32nd-valued NFL franchise to even sniff experienced A-listers. McDermott was absolutely the best candidate that the 2017 Bills had a chance to get. And we only got him because 1) The Carolina defense had an off year without a good #1 Cornerback, 2) He was ready to become a head coach and sick of being a defensive coordinator.

Comment

• Goobylal
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FanBack View Post
                        And that's fair and I may be getting to that point.

Some fans discount everything he did and everything he does so right off of the field. His 'power play' to get rid of Whaley (and Brandon) was the key into turning this franchise around. When they left, a lot of disfunction left.

I think he gets one more year barring a total collapse. Otherwise, any A-list serious coaching candidate will not come here.

McDermott and Beane got Josh Allen; that is the only thing that allows the 32nd-valued NFL franchise to even sniff experienced A-listers. McDermott was absolutely the best candidate that the 2017 Bills had a chance to get. And we only got him because 1) The Carolina defense had an off year without a good #1 Cornerback, 2) He was ready to become a head coach and sick of being a defensive coordinator.
                        I think that if they miss the playoffs this year, considering how the defense folded in several games that should have been wins, McD should be replaced. It's been 7 years and 6 with Josh.

Comment

• notacon
                          • Aug 2012

It's obvious that what goes on in the locker room is in a different world than within some "fans".

Especially on social media (like here) where some self-proclaimed know-it-all's have a insufferable penchant for knee-jerk (and too many times really dumb) reactions and denigrate and **** on players and coaches with reckless abandon.

For the record, I take great pains in avoiding that negativity gutter and get pilloried because I usually try to keep a positive attitude with realistic observations backed up by facts and evidence, and opinions of NFL professionals that DO know what they are talking about. And for that positive attitude I am attacked, unfairly and with way too much misrepresenting what I actually write.

McD may have lost (most) fans, but it's undeniably true that he has NOT lost the locker room of the Bills in ANY way, shape or form.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                            • Mar 2004

I don't really care if they like him or not, but it appears that they definitely respect him, which means more than anything.

Maybe that hit piece that came out galvanized the locker room and will be the spark that ignited a superbow run? Who knows. Anything can happen

Comment

• Chet
                              Allenhu Joshbar
                              • Feb 2017

In the immortal words of Winston Wolf, "Let's not start sucking each other's d*cks quite yet."

The Chiefs shot themselves in the foot on the winning play, it was nothing McDermott did to stop that play. Even if it hadn't gone for a touchdown...Travis Kelce (the only NFL-quality weapon Mahomes has) was inexplicably open for an easy pitch and catch at the end of the game. I'm not diminishing the win in anyway. It was rightly earned and like so many on here have alluded to it's high time we had a call/non-call go our way. With that said, I don't think McDermott gets a pass because of a stupid Chiefs receiver.
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me take you for a trip down memory lane...

Once upon a time there was a coach. Very different from McDermott in disposition, but took over a similar situation when he became a HC. This man took the reins of a franchise that was a national punchline, and started his tenure with an unpolished rookie QB whose name would later be forever tied to one play.

Coach went through a rocky rookie season but much like McD he had help backing into the playoffs. Once there, they caught fire and an identity was born: Brash, physical team full of dogs who backed down from nobody and played their best when the lights were brightest. This team LOVED their coach like no other. They won their WC game against a weak divisional winner then went on the road and shocked a 13-3 team with ground and pound football, hard-nosed defense, and timely plays. The following week, as massive underdogs--to what could've been a 17-0 Colts team had they not sat their players the final 2 weeks of the season--they went up by 11 points on Peyton Manning and even managed to lead at the half before the carriage turned back into a pumpkin. By any metric, the season was an incomparable success and hope sprang eternal. After all, they were only 30 minutes from the SuperBowl

The following year they were media darlings--with a little help from shameless self-promotion, but they asked for the target on their back. Most, if not all, thought they would fall flat on their face. Instead they doubled down and went on another improbable run where they won nearly every close game in fascinating ways. Still marred by crappy at worst and inconsistent at best QB play, they were never really a threat to win a division where a 1st ballot HOF QB was in his prime, especially when said player and team just destroyed their own in a late-season primetime matchup. How did they respond in the postseason? By going on the road in back-to-back weeks defeating Peyton Manning and Tom Brady--absolutely dominating the latter and his 14-2 team (score was not indicative of the beating). This coach not only rallied the troops for a last-second win at Indy, he also managed to somehow wipe his players' memories clean of the 40-pt thrashing they received at the hands of the Evil Empire just 1-2 months earlier.

In the AFCCG the script was flipped from the previous year and they fell into a 24-0 hole at the half against yet ANOTHER HOF QB. But wouldn't you know it, coach had this struggling team and in-over-his-head QB believing they could pull off the impossible, and they nearly did. They pitched a second half shut out and the offense couldn't be stopped. The game came down to a 3rd or 4th and 6 for Pittsburgh and Big Ben found the open man for just enough yardage to get the 1st and run out the clock. Most people (myself included) think that if the D holds there the offense goes down for the winning score and they go to the SB. Still, for a defensive-minded HC, it was a bitter pill to swallow coming up short in that fashion again.

In year 3, the team was again plagued by inconsistent QB play and were buoyed by their defense. They plodded through another tough regular season, but this time those close wins were now close losses. The team was losing focus and the coach's message and theatrics weren't taking hold anymore. They looked as if they would make the playoffs again, sitting at 8-5, before they were Tebow'd and lost another heartbreaker to Miami to close the year 8-8. Still, the players loved him and after all, fans said maybe it was just bad luck and/or injuries that caused a down year. The QB started taking the heat, as he rightfully should have.

In year 4, the wheels completely came off, culminating in the most ignominious single play in NFL history. The QB was the natural scapegoat, as the offense was abysmal. The defense no longer had the teeth nor the grit they previously had and the team looked listless. Still, players lobbied to the owner how much they loved their coach.

Year 5 comes along and his QB and scapegoat goes down in the preseason. In comes their newest rookie QB and the team--despite very low expectations--ekes out an 8-8 record, eliminating their divisional rival in Week 17. All year the coach was on the hot seat but the players stood by their guy because they loved him. In the locker room after that game the owner came down and announced to coach and all his players that he would be coming back next year. The place erupted in joy like it was Madison Square Garden after Larry Johnson's 4-pt play. I challenge any of you to find a video that shows more love to a coach from his players than that one. And this was coming off 3 consecutive non-playoff seasons.

Year 6...enough was finally enough. The owner listened to his instincts, but 2-3 years too late.

I'm sure it didn't take any of you more than a few sentences (if you stuck it out to the end, lol) to figure out who the coach in this story is. Unlike ours though, he was never given the most prized possession in the NFL: an elite franchise QB. I'm not saying this coach is better than our current one, even though he accomplished more with less. I would still rather have ours if you put a gun to my head. With that said, the moral of the story is know when you've plateaud or regressed, and don't let feelings or sentimentality get in the way of your ultimate goal.

Deep down we'll all love McD on some level for ending the drought, but unless he gets this team to the SB this year against a middling AFC rife with mediocrity, then it's time for a change.

It's not personal, just business.

Comment

Working...
                              X