X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

We got a critcal win but I feel more like we lucked out

In the picture of the 2023 season, it might be a very important stepping stone - I think we got lucky in the Giants and Bucs wins , but I don't want to under-estimate a road win against Mahomes and Chiefs for this Bills team's collective mind, the psychy.

In the big picture of what we find out about our offense and defense going forward, I'm little down now on Brady's ability to drive the offense to be the main reason for Bills future success. I don't think he really read Spagnolo's plan throughout the game. The Chiefs pretty much planned on defending the Bills passing attack and taking away Diggs. They don't bite on any play action at all, and contend to let Bills having success on the ground. The same ugly 2nd and long, 3rd and long showed up time and time again in the 2nd half and pretty much on Josh to make some magical plays.

Has Diggs checked out on the Bills? He does not have much swagger like he used to and those contested catches that he won so often before is no longer there. Snead is a good CB in NFL but not someone I thought would dominate Diggs.

I was really mad at Josh's INT in the game thread. I know it is the same Josh who converted that 4th down on that 2nd TD drive with his never giving up attitude but I feel it is a clear cut different situation that he did NOT have to risk an INT for that 3rd down conversion.

Lastly I want to mention about McDermott's defensive plan. He clearly wanted to gamble more than Frazier in those critical moments, regardless the QB. You win some and lose some. And I'm actually OK with that. Hopefully DaQuan is coming back soon to complement a good Oliver year.
  • kingJofNYC
    • Sep 2009

Re: We got a critcal win but I feel more like we lucked out

Yeah, I mean we needed a break to win, kind of evens out some of the bad luck.

I'm with you about not feeling good after this W. Feel like the O took a step back today, that 2nd half was not good, we got away from going to Cook and there was poor execution all around.

The gameplan today kind of felt like we didn't trust our WRs to win their battles. Lot of passes to the backs and TEs, RPO bubbles. Felt better about the O against the Eagles, slog of a season for sure.

Comment

• jamze132
      • Jun 2003

Chiefs have a very tough defense and we scored enough points. This time of the year you’re going to have to win an ugly game and that’s as far as I’m going with it.

We had some very bad luck (self-imposed for the most part) and it’s nice to be on the other side once in a while. The Chiefs fans feel exactly how we have in the past. Always a late holding call on a DB and a to effect the game.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
        • Aug 2004

I thought Brady's original game plan is good. The focus on TEs and RBs is a function where the Chiefs wanting to take them away, and let's face it, the Chiefs are good on D line and secondary. When the Bills are 3rd and 5 or less, they had a much better conversion percentage, including using Josh's leg. When it is 3rd and long, the Chiefs D is getting to Josh. It is so evident even to a fan like me, and yet towards the end of the last offensive drive, they just didn't have any answers other than spreadout and shot gun Josh.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
          • Aug 2004

I want to add that Mahomes' whining and Reid's less succinct complain on Refs is on the Toney lining up on the LOS. Just like Reid said in post game presser, typically if it is close, they don't call it at all or they may warn the HC of the bad alignment. I remember former Bills WR Brown said before he often asked the side judge if his alignment was OK and they are obligated to tell him.

Comment

• imbondz
            Democrats are people too
            • Jan 2003

Yeah sometimes you need luck to win. Who cares. We deserve 20 straight seasons of luck.
            My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
              In the picture of the 2023 season, it might be a very important stepping stone - I think we got lucky in the Giants and Bucs wins , but I don't want to under-estimate a road win against Mahomes and Chiefs for this Bills team's collective mind, the psychy.

In the big picture of what we find out about our offense and defense going forward, I'm little down now on Brady's ability to drive the offense to be the main reason for Bills future success. I don't think he really read Spagnolo's plan throughout the game. The Chiefs pretty much planned on defending the Bills passing attack and taking away Diggs. They don't bite on any play action at all, and contend to let Bills having success on the ground. The same ugly 2nd and long, 3rd and long showed up time and time again in the 2nd half and pretty much on Josh to make some magical plays.

Has Diggs checked out on the Bills? He does not have much swagger like he used to and those contested catches that he won so often before is no longer there. Snead is a good CB in NFL but not someone I thought would dominate Diggs.

I was really mad at Josh's INT in the game thread. I know it is the same Josh who converted that 4th down on that 2nd TD drive with his never giving up attitude but I feel it is a clear cut different situation that he did NOT have to risk an INT for that 3rd down conversion.

Lastly I want to mention about McDermott's defensive plan. He clearly wanted to gamble more than Frazier in those critical moments, regardless the QB. You win some and lose some. And I'm actually OK with that. Hopefully DaQuan is coming back soon to complement a good Oliver year.
              Plenty of reasons to be concerned about this game. But, we are in “beggars can’t be choosers” mode. This team clearly isn’t the SB contenders that many thought they were going into this season.

It’s drought era football. We have reverted to just hoping that we can stay in the hunt long enough for every game to count. So, take the win however we can get it.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Gibby 2.0
                The things I get you to say
                • Oct 2019

Wanna give it back? Frankly, yeah it was about as ugly as a win can get without being a loss, but it was against the world champs. in their home. So I'll take it. I expect ugly wins at Arrowhead. I can't forgive ugly losses at New England and when you have Denver beat if you make sure you only have 11 guys out there. You get those two and whatever that opener was and you have a 10-3 team playing for homefield.
                Insert whimsical line here

Comment

• Borosai
                  • Sep 2003

Not pretty, and the Bills definitely got some help from the Chiefs, and the refs didn't ignore it... this time.
                  It's a win when every game is a must win, so I'll take it.
                  And the defense got a stop to secure a win for the first time this season (with the aforementioned help, of course, but whatever).

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                    Peterman Sucks!
                    • Mar 2006

Not pretty, but got the job done and kept the slim playoff hopes alive.

Not much more you can ask for.

Comment

• Chet
                      Allenhu Joshbar
                      • Feb 2017

In an ideal world, we sneak into the 7th spot and Miami gets the bye. That would match us up with a Ravens team that scares nobody, followed by a trip to Miami for the divisional round.

This is all predicated on the fact we take care of business and actually make the playoffs, which is still a long shot. I’ll foolishly allow for hope if we beat Dallas next week…I suppose it’s the masochist Bills fan in me.

There’s only one team left in the AFC (now that Burrow is injured) I’d rather not have to go through and that’s Miami. They’re one of only 3 teams in the league (besides us) who can quickly turn a game into an avalanche. The other two are Dallas and SF. Not saying we can’t beat Miami at all, but this is with the assumption that we need to beat them Week 18 to get in, meaning we would have to beat them twice in 3 weeks and I respect their offensive coaching too much to think they can’t expose McDermott with 3 cracks at it

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

We've beaten KC at their place in the regular season three straight times. I'd feel better if it were the playoffs, and quite frankly if we do happen to make it to the post-season and get a re-match the results will probably be different.

And Reid/Mahomes whining is gold. #1 Wide receivers on every team, every week, in every game check with the refs to make sure they are lined up OK, and #2 "But but but we break that rule a lot, all the time, and they don't flag us for it" is such a bull**** response. Almost makes one think they do it intentionally at critical times to gain an advantage because they know the refs are going to give it to them. **** them both.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
                          • Nov 2007

Look
                          the defense actually made a stop when it had to

I’m happy
                          I came.
                          I saw.
                          I conquered.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                            Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                            • Feb 2006

The game wasn’t over if their score counted. Their drive wasn’t over either. Had to stop them and we did.

Comment

• Historian
                              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                              • Dec 2002

There are several scripts for the Bills:

1. Bills dominate the entire game. (Wash, Mia)

2. Bills just don't have a prayer no matter what they do. (Jax)

3. Bills play great 1st half, lousy second, but do just enough to win. (Tampa, NYG this year)

4. Bills play great 1st half, and not enough in the second, and lose. (NY Jets, Philly)

5. Bills play a lousy first half, then adjust at halftime, and do just enough to win. (Detroit last year)

And there are two themes:

Bills play down to the **** teams....Jets....Pats.

Bills play over their heads against good teams....(Philly, Cinci, KC)

They should be able to beat Dallas. Dallas hasn't won in Buffalo since 1971.

They should be able to beat the fish again.

The games I worry about are the Pats and Chargers. Thankfully, NE is at home.

Comment

Working...
                              X