PDA

View Full Version : The usage of Cook

ghz in pittsburgh
12-11-2023, 09:04 AM
Cook, by most account, had a Kamara type of output in the Chiefs game: 10 carries for 58, 5 targets, 5 catches for 83 yards and 1 TD. But he played only on 34 snaps out of total 77. In comparison, both Diggs and Davis had over 60 snaps, even Shakir had 47 snaps.

After the 1st drive of the 3rd quarter, Cook's total output is 8 yards. No surprising the Bills struggled on offense there.

How to use Cook is something I feel that Brady needs solve moving forward. Sure Diggs can play better and Davis can not have a 0 catch day again despite having 63 snaps. But the new juice might be in this what I consider still up-coming talent. It is a challenge though because on 3rd downs or in obvious passing attempts, the Bills don't even have Cook on the field because he can't block - sorry folks, he just can't at this stage still. Cook himself really needs to continue to work in that area, to be little more effective -- he is listed at 190lb, Kamara is 215lb.

They are trying though. Cook running a seam route to score the first TD is completely new; I don't recall that ever in Bills offense. Hopefully they find a way to incorporate him into some 3rd down offense instead of simply 5 wide and Josh at shotgun every time.

jamze132
12-11-2023, 09:06 AM
I didn’t like the 2nd half gameplay. We should have continued using Cook until they stopped him. They rendered Diggs a moot point yet we kept forcing the ball to him.

sukie
12-11-2023, 10:31 AM
Cook appeared open 5 yards out on several occasions. He needs to be moved up in the progressions.

notacon
12-11-2023, 02:16 PM
I observed the head scratching (mis) use of Cook in another thread (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/264521-Was-Dorsey-trash-or-is-Joe-Brady-solid?p=5066563&viewfull=1#post5066563) that is lamely attempting to still **** on Dorey and lionize Joe Brady....

"Cook is running his ass off with 7.8 per carry average, but he only get TEN carries?!?!? He's only on the field for 45% of the non-kneel down offensive plays?!?!? That's on the OC. Why in the world would you keep one the most effective offensive weapons on the sidelines??? It's inexplicable."

ghz in pittsburgh
12-11-2023, 02:40 PM
Because they want to get Diggs going, which is more likely to create big shots down field to him or someone else. But it didn't work. Diggs had an off game. Davis had an off game. Even the short stuff for them didn't work. Now you are 2nd and 10, 3rd and 10, and Cook is not seeing the field. That's what I said in another thread that the Chiefs were saying Diggs/Davis are not going to beat us today, just like the opponents of the Chiefs were saying all year that Kelce is not going to beat us. Brady did not really responded to that very well.

I also think their red zone packages probably don't have much Cook ingredient, dating back to the camp.

John Doe
12-11-2023, 03:15 PM
Cook is not built to take a lot of punishment with high usage over the course of a long season. One of his greatest strengths is pass catching, and I don't feel that Dorsey used him enough in that capacity.

I like the way that they used him in this game.

Bill Cody
12-11-2023, 03:47 PM
It helps our ability/frequency to run if we avoid penalties which we did not do in the 2nd half

Bill Cody
12-11-2023, 03:51 PM
Cook is not built to take a lot of punishment with high usage over the course of a long season. One of his greatest strengths is pass catching, and I don't feel that Dorsey used him enough in that capacity.

I like the way that they used him in this game.

He's a great player. I'm a Ga fan so I absolutely knew what we were getting and I was thrilled to have him. A lot of people were ready to call him a wasted pick as recently as last year but he's settled in now as a pro. He's got speed, vision, acceleration and great hands. But you're right he's not Earl Campbell. Harris would have been the ideal complement to Cook.

Mad Max
12-11-2023, 03:55 PM
Cook, by most account, had a Kamara type of output in the Chiefs game: 10 carries for 58, 5 targets, 5 catches for 83 yards and 1 TD. But he played only on 34 snaps out of total 77. In comparison, both Diggs and Davis had over 60 snaps, even Shakir had 47 snaps.

After the 1st drive of the 3rd quarter, Cook's total output is 8 yards. No surprising the Bills struggled on offense there.

How to use Cook is something I feel that Brady needs solve moving forward. Sure Diggs can play better and Davis can not have a 0 catch day again despite having 63 snaps. But the new juice might be in this what I consider still up-coming talent. It is a challenge though because on 3rd downs or in obvious passing attempts, the Bills don't even have Cook on the field because he can't block - sorry folks, he just can't at this stage still. Cook himself really needs to continue to work in that area, to be little more effective -- he is listed at 190lb, Kamara is 215lb.

They are trying though. Cook running a seam route to score the first TD is completely new; I don't recall that ever in Bills offense. Hopefully they find a way to incorporate him into some 3rd down offense instead of simply 5 wide and Josh at shotgun every time.
He’s definitely an emerging weapon that they’re trying to figure out how to use. I hope both he and Kincaid come back next year with 10-15 pounds of extra muscle. That should allow them to stay on the field in more situations.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-11-2023, 04:19 PM
He’s definitely an emerging weapon that they’re trying to figure out how to use. I hope both he and Kincaid come back next year with 10-15 pounds of extra muscle. That should allow them to stay on the field in more situations.
I think Kincaid has a much higher ceiling. Him improving blocking would make Bills offense a lot less predictable.

I'm not sure Cook will ever be an all purpose back Kamara is. But I do think there are a lot of ways he can be on the field for 3rd and 6 type of plays. He does not need to be great at blocking blitzers, like stoning and walling them off. Just enough to slow them down and alter their path some.

Woodman
12-11-2023, 07:16 PM
They have not yet scratched the surface on how to use this phenom.

sukie
12-11-2023, 09:08 PM
Cook is quickly becoming special. He and Kincaid are becoming key pieces. I disagree with him not becoming all purpose. Dude has hands and wheels. What more does he need to possess?

TigerJ
12-11-2023, 10:58 PM
Cook could probably have more carries than he's been getting, but I don't see him ever being a "bell cow " running back. I just wouldn't trust him to stay healthy with the kind of beating a bell cow back receives. While the Bills could add some touches to Jones' workload, but the way the Bills are using him, with a balance of running plays and pass receptions is ideal. He really is a running back/wide receiver. I think it was Rome in his commentary who said concerning Jones' touchdown reception, "he looked more like a wide receiver than a running back."

senseofdoom
12-12-2023, 09:37 AM
I think his usage takes a hit because they don't trust him to block. He's regularly pulled on 3rd down and in spots where they're expecting blitz.

sukie
12-12-2023, 09:51 AM
I think not using him more is wise for the aforementioned beating. It’s okay to be spotted. The size and speed of defenders is not what it was when Thurman played. Physics has become a problem. Need a bigger back for blocking… fine. Cook also needs a break with all those successful wheel routes. The dude runs hard. Always moving. I get winded watching him.