X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Someone else other than coaches taking it to the NFL owners

A Jaguars financial employee faces a maximum of 30 years in prison and up to a $500,000 fine after pleading guilty to stealing more than $22 million from the team.

I don't consider that players being released is taking owner's money for free because everything is counted in the cap. But coaching staff fires are pretty much that. For example, Rex Ryan got a $25 million plus contract from Pegula and worked for 2 years, got fired, then collected $15 million in the next 3 years.

That guy, Amit Patel, stole $22+ million from the Jaguars in a 4 years span, more than Rex got in the same time span. Had to imagine this young dude was paid peanuts for his job and got to live the lifestyle like a player for awhile.

Interesting that he used the money to try to make more on gambling that NFL allowed:
    ------------------------------------------------------
    King, has claimed in a statement that Patel suffers from a "serious gambling addiction" and that "approximately 99% of the misappropriated funds" were related to gambling losses, almost all of which occurred on FanDuel and DraftKings.
    ------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I can almost predict that there will be one big gambling related scandal that smears the NFL game integrity down the road.

BTW, someone compared Rex Ryan as a Jet's HC to McDermott as the Bills HC in another thread. I'll say this. When Rex was with Jets, he was good. If he had a Josh Allen type of QB, he might have won a Superbowl. He had a big mouth, but he also had substance as in getting the team to perform. But something changed the last couple of years and certain when he came to the Bills. He rested on his past success and not looking to adapt to the changes of NFL; his work ethic also deteriorated like those players who worked hard to get a massive contract than stopped working. McDermott, at least so far from what I read, coaches and players, has not stopped adopting changes or stopped working hard. He may not be one of those football genius, but those are difficult to find (think of how hard to find an all time great QBs. Parcells, Belichick, Shanahan, etc. might be the equivalent in coaching. McDermott might be equivalent of the Solid starting QB category, Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott type).
Working...
X