PDA

View Full Version : And there it is…he gone

Mad Max
12-15-2023, 11:30 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/chargers-fire-head-coach-brandon-staley-gm-tom-telesco-after-42-point-loss-to-raiders-170810805.html

Forward_Lateral
12-15-2023, 11:33 AM
Should've been fired at halftime

Mad Max
12-15-2023, 11:36 AM
Should've been fired at halftime

I was looking for a prop bet…said a few days ago both he and telesco should go asap

Excellent news for their franchise. I love their defensive pieces and Herbert. Hope they do well next year.

Forward_Lateral
12-15-2023, 11:37 AM
I was looking for a prop bet…said a few days ago both he and telesco should go asap

Excellent news for their franchise. I love their defensive pieces and Herbert. Hope they do well next year.
You could tell that the team has given up. Poor Easton Stick was a dead man back there.

Mad Max
12-15-2023, 11:41 AM
You could tell that the team has given up. Poor Easton Stick was a dead man back there.

Ya everyone gave up except for Stick. He actually played pretty well all things considered (even that pick 6 was on an incredible play by the DB)

Chet
12-15-2023, 11:55 AM
Let's try not to lose another game to a team that just had 60+ hung on them

Mad Max
12-15-2023, 12:02 PM
Let's try not to lose another game to a team that just had 60+ hung on them

F no. we’re gonna hammer them. Even if there’s a “play for the new guy” bounce, it won’t be enough. We’re trucking them.

Ed
12-15-2023, 12:14 PM
I still can't believe that Telesco ended up picking Staley over Brian Daboll.

FanBack
12-15-2023, 12:16 PM
I still can't believe that Telesco ended up picking Staley over Brian Daboll.
Sean Payton wanted the job also.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-15-2023, 12:23 PM
So if you are Pegula, do you feel confident not to select a Staley or Kingsbury if you are not happy with McDermott? those were hotshot at the time of their hiring. Most likely you give them 3 years to see if they are capable, assuming they don't have work ethic issues. You do this even 2 times, you waste 6 years of a QB like Justin Herbert.

Mad Max
12-15-2023, 12:44 PM
Not sure what you’re asking. If you’re asking should we hire either of those two guys? If so, NO.HELL NO.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-15-2023, 01:28 PM
I think the common perception here, as in Buffalo (as well as in where I live), is that the owner should fire the current coach and get someone young hot shot NOW.

notacon
12-15-2023, 01:35 PM
Chargers are a dumpster fire of a franchise.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-15-2023, 01:54 PM
So interesting question: is finding a franchise QB due more to luck or due to how well a franchise is run?

I always consider the Ravens under Harbaugh being a well run franchise. They are almost always competitive and won superbowls with Flacco, not really considered a very top tier QB.

Canadian'eh!
12-15-2023, 01:58 PM

At this point I honestly wonder if Herbert doesn’t have some sort of issue. Leadership maybe? The stats are good though they’ve come down since year 2. He’s surrounded by great talent.

the 2021 choke vs the Raiders week 17 (100% Staley. Raiders were happy to take the tie so they both get in and Staley was too dumb to see it)

massive meltdown in 2022 playoffs.

This year was a lot of poor coaching and injuries granted…. Hopefully a new regime helps him. I don’t think he’s terrible, I just think he’s gone from sure fire Franchise QB to “somethings not quite right but probably still franchise guy”

imbondz
12-15-2023, 02:54 PM
I (cautiously) think Frank Reich would fit well with this team. Hiring a new coach is a crap shoot tho. Unless we get a proven winner. Still no guarantees.

Mad Max
12-15-2023, 03:18 PM
At this point I honestly wonder if Herbert doesn’t have some sort of issue. Leadership maybe? The stats are good though they’ve come down since year 2. He’s surrounded by great talent.

the 2021 choke vs the Raiders week 17 (100% Staley. Raiders were happy to take the tie so they both get in and Staley was too dumb to see it)

massive meltdown in 2022 playoffs.

This year was a lot of poor coaching and injuries granted…. Hopefully a new regime helps him. I don’t think he’s terrible, I just think he’s gone from sure fire Franchise QB to “somethings not quite right but probably still franchise guy”

I don’t think it’s Herbert. He’s more than good enough to win consistently. Staley was a ridiculous HC, way too enraptured with analytics…I’m all for courageous coaching but you gotta take circumstances into consideration which Staley didn’t do.

Woodman
12-15-2023, 04:25 PM
Long overdue.

Woodman
12-15-2023, 04:29 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V2L3UzM_FfE?si=QzGe4FaYH77-C6KN" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mace
12-15-2023, 05:14 PM
So interesting question: is finding a franchise QB due more to luck or due to how well a franchise is run?

I always consider the Ravens under Harbaugh being a well run franchise. They are almost always competitive and won superbowls with Flacco, not really considered a very top tier QB.

Probably both but I'd give heavy weight toward how a franchise is run. There has to be some intense commitment to changing as necessary. Harbaugh started Jackson out under Roman, playing to the QB strengths, they evolved committing to him. You have to commit to the guy and build for him and maybe it works, he doesn't get hurt and it clicks (luck).

Brock Purdy. No way that was intentional.

We're 6 years into Allen with one conference final appearance. Is that optimal ?

If Purdy or Allen end up with Carolina, does it work the same ? What if Allen is in Miami, and Purdy is in New England ?

Dunno what's wrong with the Chargers....but there's always something wrong with them. Herbert is headed down the River's road of good QB you can't fear.

Staley had to go though. Defensive guru....oh yeah, they have Khalil Mack. 63 points is omg.

Woodman
12-15-2023, 07:52 PM
Ya everyone gave up except for Stick. He actually played pretty well all things considered (even that pick 6 was on an incredible play by the DB)

Great pick ..... believe or not I had one just like that.

Intercepted a screen pass easiest TD I ever had.