PDA

View Full Version : Sean McDermott Should Look Into ST Coach Before Disaster Strikes

ghz in pittsburgh
12-18-2023, 09:44 AM
It is a problem that seems getting worse since the 5th or 6th game of the season. Kicking game has regressed, but the punting game is even worse. Already we have people ran successful fake punt on us. Our own punting is really meh. And a couple of times I feel a blocked punt is coming. Yesterday if the Dallas dude is not jumping up trying to block the punt, it is high probability the punt is blocked. We are potentially looking at Dallas getting a 7 to tie the game instead of us continuing the drive due to the penalty to go up by 14. Maybe a very different game then.

The urgency may not be there now because the next few games, we may be able to withstand a ST disaster against the bad teams. But in the playoff, I don't know we can let that happen.

ParanoidAndroid
12-18-2023, 09:57 AM
Yup. Need to tighten things up, for sure.

Thurmal
12-18-2023, 10:45 AM
Teams that have poor special teams can only get by for so long before they kill you in a huge moment.

Saratoga Slim
12-18-2023, 12:14 PM
Teams that have poor special teams can only get by for so long before they kill you in a huge moment.

They’ve already killed is in a huge moment….that 12 men penalty vs Denver. And I’d argue the missed field goals lost the Philly game.

Mad Max
12-18-2023, 12:42 PM
They’ve already killed is in a huge moment….that 12 men penalty vs Denver. And I’d argue the missed field goals lost the Philly game.

You forgot the overtime punt return TD by the Jets in the opener.

I’m on record for wanting ST changes. Get rid of Smiley, Martin AND Bass. We can and should do better than all three.

daryls61
12-18-2023, 01:05 PM
Yes, hopefully we hear it today.

Thurmal
12-19-2023, 05:51 PM

I'm talking about an eff-up that loses a playoff game.

YardRat
12-19-2023, 05:59 PM
Smiley has been dead-man-walking all season, but I'd be surprised if he's booted before the end of the year.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-19-2023, 08:01 PM
To be a HC also calling plays on either side the ball is not easy. This is the first time McDermott doing both HC and DC in NFL. I can only imagine he may not have as much time to sit in the offense and ST planning meetings or get into the kind of details he used to. He has to trust the people he hires. I'd not be surprised it may have affected the defense performance earlier in the season. By all accounts, it took him all the way to the bye week to catch up when they were reported to have turned the tapes upside down on defense. On offense, he got rid of Dorsey and seemed to have handed the key to Brady - the hiring of Mangas whose only notable achievement being Brady's sounding board in the past says as much. Does he need to give the ST a sounding board as well?

John Doe
12-20-2023, 06:08 AM
I hate to say it, but as useless as he was to the offense, the special teams miss Taiwan Jones.

Woodman
12-20-2023, 10:26 AM
I hate to say it, but as useless as he was to the offense, the special teams miss Taiwan Jones.
They do definitely miss his contribution on special teams ........ we gotta upgrade that part of the team ........ or it'll cost us ....... excellent special teams should be an important goal ...... they matter for the overall success.

Woodman
01-02-2024, 01:46 PM
Our Special Teams need special attention! Thoughts?

Can't have a kickoff ran back for a td period.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-02-2024, 01:56 PM
Our Special Teams need special attention! Thoughts?

Can't have a kickoff ran back for a td period.
agreed, but can you give Matt Araiza a rest after Sam Martin's game Sunday? lol

sukie
01-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Sam was like a Christmas Rockette!

Woodman
01-02-2024, 06:27 PM
agreed, but can you give Matt Araiza a rest after Sam Martin's game Sunday? lol

My entire point was that in Special Teams we rank very poorly ..... poorly coached

Martin is not the point it's our coverage ..... it's very poor and it has to be drastically improved.

The kickoffs either gotta go through the end zone or if the wind prevents it we need to hang those kicks so ****ing high that the coverage unit can do their jobs ...... we can not allow a kick return or punt return for a TD period.

This comment today has nothing to do with Matt Araiza that ship has long long ago sailed.

That ****up can't be fixed in time to help.

Our strategies are completely wrongheaded.

Chet
01-03-2024, 09:36 AM
This team needs an enema

Forward_Lateral
01-03-2024, 10:31 AM
I don't understand why Bass doesn't just blast the kick off through the endzone every time. Is this intentional?

OpIv37
01-03-2024, 10:39 AM
I don't understand why Bass doesn't just blast the kick off through the endzone every time. Is this intentional?

Seriously. Unless the returner muffs the catch or fumbles (both of which are rare at the NFL level), even good kick coverage is still going to allow a return to the 15 or 20. You're saving at most 10 yards but giving them the opportunity to make a big play.

After spotting NE 7 points, he should just boot every kick as far as he can.

Forward_Lateral
01-03-2024, 10:40 AM
Seriously. Unless the returner muffs the catch or fumbles (both of which are rare at the NFL level), even good kick coverage is still going to allow a return to the 15 or 20. You're saving at most 10 yards but giving them the opportunity to make a big play.

After spotting NE 7 points, he should just boot every kick as far as he can.

That's what he did too, I'm not sure they even returned one after that?

We know he has the leg to do it. I've never kicked off, so I don't know if it's as easy as it seems, or if he just misses sometimes and that's why it comes up short?

I'd really love to know the answer

Woodman
01-03-2024, 03:23 PM
That's what they need to discuss.

Kick it long and gone or if the wind is too strong against kick it as high and deep as possible for coverage.

Anything else is just stupid!

Jimkelly12203
01-04-2024, 12:53 AM
I'm not sure it is the coaching. But it certainly could be. When you start paying franchise QB money, you suffer at the bottom of the roster first while trying to keep the starting 22 up to snuff.

The "Punt God" drama certainly didn't help. But what were we supposed to do with that disaster? They did what they had to do. And to be fair Sam Martin had a hell of a game last week.

Sure would be nice to have that Von Miller money back right now no?

YardRat
01-04-2024, 05:39 AM
There have been 4 kicks returned for TD's this year, and 8 fumbles. I can't find a stat for starting inside the 25 yard line, but it happens in every game, so the metrics indicate it's more likely something 'good' happens for the kicking team.

That being said, this whole team sucks at tackling so I would kick it out of the back of the end zone every time too.

Woodman
01-05-2024, 11:09 AM
There have been 4 kicks returned for TD's this year, and 8 fumbles. I can't find a stat for starting inside the 25 yard line, but it happens in every game, so the metrics indicate it's more likely something 'good' happens for the kicking team.

That being said, this whole team sucks at tackling so I would kick it out of the back of the end zone every time too.

BINGO!!