X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Sean McDermott Should Look Into ST Coach Before Disaster Strikes

It is a problem that seems getting worse since the 5th or 6th game of the season. Kicking game has regressed, but the punting game is even worse. Already we have people ran successful fake punt on us. Our own punting is really meh. And a couple of times I feel a blocked punt is coming. Yesterday if the Dallas dude is not jumping up trying to block the punt, it is high probability the punt is blocked. We are potentially looking at Dallas getting a 7 to tie the game instead of us continuing the drive due to the penalty to go up by 14. Maybe a very different game then.

The urgency may not be there now because the next few games, we may be able to withstand a ST disaster against the bad teams. But in the playoff, I don't know we can let that happen.
  • ParanoidAndroid
    My battery is low and it's getting dark.
    • Apr 2004

Re: Sean McDermott Should Look Into ST Coach Before Disaster Strikes

Yup. Need to tighten things up, for sure.

Comment

• Thurmal
      • Oct 2005

Teams that have poor special teams can only get by for so long before they kill you in a huge moment.
      "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Thurmal View Post
        Teams that have poor special teams can only get by for so long before they kill you in a huge moment.
        They’ve already killed is in a huge moment….that 12 men penalty vs Denver. And I’d argue the missed field goals lost the Philly game.
        Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Mad Max
          Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim View Post
          They’ve already killed is in a huge moment….that 12 men penalty vs Denver. And I’d argue the missed field goals lost the Philly game.
          You forgot the overtime punt return TD by the Jets in the opener.

I’m on record for wanting ST changes. Get rid of Smiley, Martin AND Bass. We can and should do better than all three.

Comment

• daryls61
            • Jan 2013

Yes, hopefully we hear it today.
            The Things that unite us are far greater than the things that divide us. Just my 2 Cents.

"The Force, it's calling to you. Just let it in." - Maz Kanata: Star Wars VII The Force Awakens

"'Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum." - Winston Scott in John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum

#Cup or Bust 2024 #Bowl or Bust 2024 - It is the way.

Comment

• Thurmal
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim View Post
              I'm talking about an eff-up that loses a playoff game.
              "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Smiley has been dead-man-walking all season, but I'd be surprised if he's booted before the end of the year.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                  • Aug 2004

To be a HC also calling plays on either side the ball is not easy. This is the first time McDermott doing both HC and DC in NFL. I can only imagine he may not have as much time to sit in the offense and ST planning meetings or get into the kind of details he used to. He has to trust the people he hires. I'd not be surprised it may have affected the defense performance earlier in the season. By all accounts, it took him all the way to the bye week to catch up when they were reported to have turned the tapes upside down on defense. On offense, he got rid of Dorsey and seemed to have handed the key to Brady - the hiring of Mangas whose only notable achievement being Brady's sounding board in the past says as much. Does he need to give the ST a sounding board as well?

Comment

• John Doe
                    Florida Man
                    • Jul 2002

I hate to say it, but as useless as he was to the offense, the special teams miss Taiwan Jones.

Comment

• Woodman
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by John Doe View Post
                      I hate to say it, but as useless as he was to the offense, the special teams miss Taiwan Jones.
                      They do definitely miss his contribution on special teams ........ we gotta upgrade that part of the team ........ or it'll cost us ....... excellent special teams should be an important goal ...... they matter for the overall success.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Woodman
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Apr 2014

Our Special Teams need special attention! Thoughts?

Can't have a kickoff ran back for a td period.

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
                          Our Special Teams need special attention! Thoughts?

Can't have a kickoff ran back for a td period.
                          agreed, but can you give Matt Araiza a rest after Sam Martin's game Sunday? lol
                          I came.
                          I saw.
                          I conquered.

Comment

• sukie
                            Seriously?
                            • Sep 2012

Sam was like a Christmas Rockette!

Comment

• Woodman
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
                              agreed, but can you give Matt Araiza a rest after Sam Martin's game Sunday? lol
                              My entire point was that in Special Teams we rank very poorly ..... poorly coached

Martin is not the point it's our coverage ..... it's very poor and it has to be drastically improved.

The kickoffs either gotta go through the end zone or if the wind prevents it we need to hang those kicks so ****ing high that the coverage unit can do their jobs ...... we can not allow a kick return or punt return for a TD period.

This comment today has nothing to do with Matt Araiza that ship has long long ago sailed.

That ****up can't be fixed in time to help.

Our strategies are completely wrongheaded.

Comment

Working...
                              X