PDA

View Full Version : To fix the offense-I agree with McDermott: fundamentals

ghz in pittsburgh
01-01-2024, 09:15 AM
I know people are talking about Brady, Allen, Diggs, lack of 2nd receiver etc on offense struggles. But I actually think McDermott has the right mindset on that from his post game presser: fundamental issues that need to be fixed. He mentioned passing the ball and catching the ball. I can also add protecting the ball. At this stage, it is probably the better thing to do. You are not going to change the scheme. But some fundamentals, like Josh working on proper positioning to throw the ball to improve accuracy like he did years ago with Palmer. Receivers focusing on catching the ball before looking to run( maybe sacrifice some yac); cook working on ball security. Linemen working on proper hands usage so not holding etc. Cleaning some of that up, we might see more improvement than anything else.

I know they had walk thru a lot on Wednesdays. I’d like to see they dedicate some time for the fundamentals this week.

We have enough talent in qb1, rb1, wr1 to compete with anyone on offense. They just need to do the basic things right instead of looking for making spectacular plays right now.

cas22
01-01-2024, 10:05 AM
most of the problems is wr route concepts, we run a lot of vertical routes when we should run more crossing and slant routes, need more paas's to the backs out of the back feild and we need to be under center,

as much as Brady looks the part the Bills would be better bringing in a west coast guy, if Washington's coachs all get the axe we would be stupid not to bring in Beinimey..

Historian
01-01-2024, 10:10 AM
This is what I've been screaming about.

Throwing deep when we should take the underneath stuff to move the chains.

It's Dorey all over again.

And for the love of God...set rid of the line of scrimmage sideline pass to the WR.

It hasn't worked all year.

sukie
01-01-2024, 10:39 AM
most of the problems is wr route concepts, we run a lot of vertical routes when we should run more crossing and slant routes, need more paas's to the backs out of the back feild and we need to be under center,

as much as Brady looks the part the Bills would be better bringing in a west coast guy, if Washington's coachs all get the axe we would be stupid not to bring in Beinimey..

Yes. RB catching passes would be nice as long as it’s not always out in the flat… Cook was open 4-5 yards out several times. Get him the ball.

cookie G
01-01-2024, 11:03 AM
Yes. RB catching passes would be nice as long as it’s not always out in the flat… Cook was open 4-5 yards out several times. Get him the ball.

Yeah, that's why its not just on the play calling. It isn't a difficult concept. Diggs goes deep, chances are he takes a CB and a safety with him. This opens a RB, TE or another WR open underneath. Just because you call a deep route, it doesn't mean you have to throw it deep.

This is a Josh problem more than an OC/play calling problem. He's locking onto one target way too often.

Forward_Lateral
01-02-2024, 09:46 AM
This is what I've been screaming about.

Throwing deep when we should take the underneath stuff to move the chains.

It's Dorey all over again.

And for the love of God...set rid of the line of scrimmage sideline pass to the WR.

It hasn't worked all year.
At least they've stopped running the stupid high low out pattern that Josh has had picked off like 5 times.

Run some middle screens. When's the last time they ran a traditional HB screen?

Having an outside screen where the ball has to travel 20 yards in the air is stupid as hell. You may as well just hand it off on a jet sweep, at least that's likely to be no gain, at worse, and not lose 5 yards like the WR Screens do most of the time.

How about some freaking crossing patterns? Rub routes? Anything??

Forward_Lateral
01-02-2024, 09:48 AM

The problem with Cook is he's been dropping catches. I wouldn't throw to him either if he dropped them all the time.

Sherfield shouldn't even be on the field, ever. He's terrible. That dude has hands of granite, and I'd wager he has more drops than receptions this year.

The problem yesterday was the Patriots interior line abused the Bills' interior line, and Josh was rushing and throwing the ball before he wanted to most of the first half. The second half was better, but it looked like they also ran more crossers and routes to get guys open.