• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Terrel Bernard achieves feat not done in NFL in 32 years

‘With two more sacks against the New England Patriots, Bernard reached 6.5 for the season. He is the first NFL player in 32 years – since Philadelphia’s Seth Joyner in 1991 – to record six or more sacks, three or more interceptions and three or more fumble recoveries in one season.’

~
    BUFFALO NEWS

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.
  • ParanoidAndroid
    My battery is low and it's getting dark.
    • Apr 2004

Re: Terrel Bernard achieves feat not done in NFL in 32 years

I don't remember Seth Joyner. :/

Comment

• Historian
      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
      I don't remember Seth Joyner. :/
      Big dude.

Linebacker who played for Buddy Ryan's defense in Philly.

Comment

• sukie
        Seriously?
        • Sep 2012

I miss Edmunds

Comment

• Woodman
          Legendary Zoner
          • Apr 2014

Bernard is balling!!

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by sukie View Post
            I miss Edmunds
            lol
            can we not?
            I came.
            I saw.
            I conquered.

Comment

• Mad Max
              Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
              • Mar 2003

I miss Edmunds
              Bro why you always baiting. That fish already just jumps into your boat.

Comment

• Goobylal
                • Jan 2004

Amazing how many people were freaking out going into the season because Edmunds left. Bernard has been a minimum salary upgrade.

Comment

• sukie
                  Seriously?
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
                  Bro why you always baiting. That fish already just jumps into your boat.
                  Lol. I want an admission

Comment

• sukie
                    Seriously?
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                    Amazing how many people were freaking out going into the season because Edmunds left. Bernard has been a minimum salary upgrade.
                    Okay Bernard. But that was okay when Milano was there… he goes down and Bernard was forced into a leadership role. Dodson improved greatly. Having Poyer at times playing a hybrid role also helped. Can’t imagine the state of the LB room once Milano is back. All good

Comment

• notacon
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                      I'm not going to get into another pointless lame Edmund fight, but this is not necessarily accurate.

Bernard has more sacks because the Bills blitzed Bernard almost 2.5 TIMES MORE than Edmunds. (Edmunds - 18 times in 2022, Bernard a whopping 43 times in 2023).

In fact, the Bills have blitzed 25% MORE in 2023 (so far, with one game remaining) than in 2022....149 in 2022 compared to 187 in 2023. In particular. McD has changed the way the Bills blitz where LB's get the most....Dodson is #2 with 32. That 75 blitz total from the two starting LB's is close to 40% more blitzes from the same in 2022, only 54, 36 by Milano and 18 by Edmunds.

When looking at all LB's....2023 saw an increase by 40% from 67 to 94. Not only that, but LB's accounted for only 40% of the blitzes in 2022, while a 25% increase to 50% in 2023. Yes, McD adjusted the way LB's are being used in particular with blitzes.

The most objective and thorough expert analyst that grades every player, Joe Buscaglia, had Edmunds the #10 highest graded player in 2022 with a 3.15 season long GPA.

This year Bernard is ranked #23 with 2.73 GPA.

Yes, Bernard has more "splash plays"....in particular 3 INT's. While Edmunds had only one in 2022. But Edmunds is tied for the team lead in INT's for Chicago this season with four.

The two players are used differently by different teams and McD changed the defense as the players differed.

Bernard has been a surprise and he still has room to improve and develop.

The BIGGER surprise has been the play of Dodson. PFF (who I do not necessarily trust their grading...especially when they unfairly grade some players much too badly....like Ed Oliver ranked #42 of 130, or Leonard Floyd at #96 of 114...they seem more credible with players graded highly) has Dodson graded #3 of 81 LB's.

With that said, I don't miss Edmunds very much, and as I pointed out when he signed with Chicago it is GM malpractice to have two players in the same position within the top 10 in average salary.... and am looking forward to both Bernard and Dorian Williams developing into good LB's.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                        • Mar 2004

Okay Bernard. But that was okay when Milano was there… he goes down and Bernard was forced into a leadership role. Dodson improved greatly. Having Poyer at times playing a hybrid role also helped. Can’t imagine the state of the LB room once Milano is back. All good
                        Who knows if Milano will even be the same player when he comes back. Who knows when he will be ready? Hopefully by camp next season, but it was a pretty serious injury.

If he can, though, you are right, look out. They might have no choice but to switch to a 4-3

Comment

• Goobylal
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by notacon View Post
                          I'm not going to get into another pointless lame Edmund fight, but this is not necessarily accurate.

Bernard has more sacks because the Bills blitzed Bernard almost 2.5 TIMES MORE than Edmunds. (Edmunds - 18 times in 2022, Bernard a whopping 43 times in 2023).

In fact, the Bills have blitzed 25% MORE in 2023 (so far, with one game remaining) than in 2022....149 in 2022 compared to 187 in 2023. In particular. McD has changed the way the Bills blitz where LB's get the most....Dodson is #2 with 32. That 75 blitz total from the two starting LB's is close to 40% more blitzes from the same in 2022, only 54, 36 by Milano and 18 by Edmunds.

When looking at all LB's....2023 saw an increase by 40% from 67 to 94. Not only that, but LB's accounted for only 40% of the blitzes in 2022, while a 25% increase to 50% in 2023. Yes, McD adjusted the way LB's are being used in particular with blitzes.

The most objective and thorough expert analyst that grades every player, Joe Buscaglia, had Edmunds the #10 highest graded player in 2022 with a 3.15 season long GPA.

This year Bernard is ranked #23 with 2.73 GPA.

Yes, Bernard has more "splash plays"....in particular 3 INT's. While Edmunds had only one in 2022. But Edmunds is tied for the team lead in INT's for Chicago this season with four.

The two players are used differently by different teams and McD changed the defense as the players differed.

Bernard has been a surprise and he still has room to improve and develop.

The BIGGER surprise has been the play of Dodson. PFF (who I do not necessarily trust their grading...especially when they unfairly grade some players much too badly....like Ed Oliver ranked #42 of 130, or Leonard Floyd at #96 of 114...they seem more credible with players graded highly) has Dodson graded #3 of 81 LB's.

With that said, I don't miss Edmunds very much, and as I pointed out when he signed with Chicago it is GM malpractice to have two players in the same position within the top 10 in average salary.... and am looking forward to both Bernard and Dorian Williams developing into good LB's.
                          OK, fair point about not blitzing Edmunds as much as Bernard. But taking Bernard's 6.5 sacks and dividing by 2.5 (2.39 to be exact), you get 2.7 sacks, which is more than Edmunds has had in any season. And Bernard's 3 INT's are more than Edmunds had in any season with the Bills. He also has more tackles than Edmunds did in any season but that's probably a function of Milano being out. This is why I said he was an upgrade despite Buscaglia's ranks.

Bottom line is he's been a revelation when most everyone thought MLB would be a disaster. I'm looking forward to him teaming up with Milano next year and Williams developing behind Milano as he hits 30 years old. I think Dodson will be gone in FA given his surprise year, he along with others I expect to leave and get big deals could net the Bills a nice comp pick or 3.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                          Who knows if Milano will even be the same player when he comes back. Who knows when he will be ready? Hopefully by camp next season, but it was a pretty serious injury.

If he can, though, you are right, look out. They might have no choice but to switch to a 4-3
                          AFAIK it was just a broken leg. Barring unforeseen complications or something else that wasn't reported, those heal pretty much 100%.

Comment

• Mad Max
                            Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                            • Mar 2003

Lol. I want an admission
                            Hope you have until the end of time.

Comment

• sukie
                              Seriously?
                              • Sep 2012

Not to nit pick… aw hell, I’m nitpicking

every stat for Edmunds is down minus combined tackles. Nearly same as last year. No QB hits No sacks and only 5 tackles
                              for a loss.. now he’s being obviously used in coverage where he has 7 passes defended. My feeling is he’s being used like a scarecrow in coverage slot. Taking up real estate.

like Notty said. It would have been GM malpractice to pay that money with Milano

boy… has Oliver earned his raise or what?

Comment

Working...
                              X