PDA

View Full Version : Frank Reich and Carson Wentz

Billseye
01-10-2024, 08:17 AM
I think McDermott did a really good Job with the defense this year. Despite injuries and a useless Von Miller, I was really pleasantly surprised by the D. I wouldn�t mind McDermott continuing to call the plays on defense with the right OC.

Wouldn�t Reich (as OC/Associate HC/whatever title) be the perfect hire to run the Offense? I don�t see him getting another HC job right away. Buffalo could be the perfect team for him to build a dominant offense and get another shot as a head coach down the line. He seems like a great fit for McDermott, Allen, and obviously for Buffalo. He�s definitely my preferred OC

Wentz will be dirt cheap, he�s probably much better than Kyle Allen as a QB, and he had his best years with Reich as his OC

Woodman
01-10-2024, 08:23 AM
Reich and Wentz if we lost Brady I'd be ok with it.

Brady is just scratching the surface ............ if I'm being honest I'd like to see him a bit longer add a weapon at WR and see what happens. :idunno:

At the same time I'd love to bring Frank Reich back home.

Saratoga Slim
01-10-2024, 09:36 AM
Reich and Wentz if we lost Brady I'd be ok with it.

Brady is just scratching the surface ............ if I'm being honest I'd like to see him a bit longer add a weapon at WR and see what happens. :idunno:

At the same time I'd love to bring Frank Reich back home.

Agree with this Woodman. I'm not ready to cut bait on Brady yet. But if we make a deep playoff run there's a decent chance he gets HC interviews. If he did leave for an HC job, I would love to see Frank Reich in the mix for OC.

Woodman
01-10-2024, 10:23 AM
Agree with this Woodman. I'm not ready to cut bait on Brady yet. But if we make a deep playoff run there's a decent chance he gets HC interviews. If he did leave for an HC job, I would love to see Frank Reich in the mix for OC.
:cheers:

Agree if we lose Brady.

We have to attempt at least to keep him (Brady) around.

Promotion based on success of course!

Brady is in a very strong position at this point.

Forward_Lateral
01-10-2024, 10:27 AM
No thanks.

Reich is possibly the most over rated OC/HC in the NFL. He's done dick all since leaving Peterson.

I love the guy as a Bill and the comeback, but I don't want that guy anywhere near this offense.

Woodman
01-10-2024, 10:30 AM
I love the guy as a Bill and the comeback, but I don't want that guy anywhere near this offense.
He would bring the calm that Josh needs. JMO

sukie
01-10-2024, 10:54 AM
Also agree with Woodman. Brady is young and should be given the chance to design his own offense during this offseason.

cas22
01-10-2024, 11:17 AM
no on bringing in Frank, 1st off Franks only calling plays duty came when he was a head coach in Indy, he never called plays for the chargers nor in Philly, plus he was terrible when doing it.. 2ndly the only way I'm keeping Brady is if we win the SB..

this offense needs a complete over haul in scheme, Allen would be #1 in all category's if we went to a west coast base offense, now's the time if Washington lets Beinimey go. right now he is still under contract, the Bills current offense has no base, everyone thinks its a Earnhart Perkins base and we are so far from that scheme it isn't even funny, the QB is under center most of the time in that system and as ya'll no we are in shot gun most of the time, in a west coast base like san Fran, KC, Miami use were you get the ball out quickly, you use more slant routes and way more pre snap motion.

im afraid McD keeps Brady because he will say he doesn't want to upset Allen, I say thats what Allen needs someone to come in here and quit babying him.

notacon
01-10-2024, 02:27 PM
McD's defense regressed this season in particular the 12 games before the bye.

Joe Brady has not really done much different than Dorsey. The offensive stats during Dorsey and Brady's show little difference.

Average rushing yards per game went up, (besides being influenced by opponent) shows more dedication to running the ball, especially with Josh Allen running more. Allen had an average of 4.8 carries with Dorsey and almost double with Brady of 9.

Hence, average rushing yards per game from Allen went up from 24.6 to 39.7.

Rushing yards overall went up, from 116.5 to 149.5 (warped by the unusual rushing yards against Dallas) while passing yards went down from 253 to 231.

Scoring went up slightly from 26.2 to 27, as well as points against was almost flat, 18.4 to 18.14.

There is no doubt that firing Dorsey was more of a way to get the attention of the team and shake them up. Along with the realization from the players that they had to step up their execution and simply play better.

McD certainly seems like he had a "come to Jesus" moment where he had to do something drastic (fire a well liked OC that was the personal choice of Josh Allen) while changing the (in hindsight a boneheaded) insistence to NOT let Allen run the ball. There is little doubt that Dorsey did not run Josh because McD told him not to.

In any event, continuity is important in coaching. It's a little early to even consider a change at OC. There is a lot of football to be played.

Mace
01-10-2024, 03:40 PM
My only thoughts on Brady atm, are that they seem more consistent to some extent, and all he's still doing is playcalling Dorsey's offense.

As Nottie notes, there's more football ahead, hopefully, to define him.

Love Reich, as an OC not so much. Wentz is a crapshoot, and generally not a good one.

YardRat
01-10-2024, 07:23 PM
I agree with F_L, don't want Reich anywhere in the building except in the stands as a spectator.

I think Brady has earned a shot at the full-time gig, but the final call on that will come from the performance in the playoffs. Regular season is for wannabes, big boys step up in the post-season.

Gibby 2.0
01-10-2024, 07:31 PM
I agree with F_L, don't want Reich anywhere in the building except in the stands as a spectator.

I think Brady has earned a shot at the full-time gig, but the final call on that will come from the performance in the playoffs. Regular season is for wannabes, big boys step up in the post-season.

My evaluation for this team is on improvement. Another wildcard or division bow out? Not enough. A run at at least the AFCCG and they are competitive from start to finish in it, okay they get more time. A superbowl (win or loss? As much time as they feel they need).

Forward_Lateral
01-11-2024, 06:20 AM
If we are talking backups, I'd much rather see Tyrod back as the backup.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-11-2024, 06:58 AM
He played a great game for us in 1993

he should totally run the offense…..

I mean, Chad Kelly is Jim’s nephew. He should qb the team as well

just stop

notacon
01-11-2024, 01:28 PM
My only thoughts on Brady atm, are that they seem more consistent to some extent, and all he's still doing is playcalling Dorsey's offense.

As Nottie notes, there's more football ahead, hopefully, to define him.

Love Reich, as an OC not so much. Wentz is a crapshoot, and generally not a good one.

Interesting observations (and stats) from Bill Barnwell of ESPN today in his "NFL playoff bracket predictions" (https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/39278588/nfl-playoff-bracket-predictions-2024-scores-all-13-games-super-bowl-pick)....

While the Bills both replaced their offensive coordinator (https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38896424/bills-offensive-coordinator-ken-dorsey-fired-sources-say) and went on a winning streak shortly thereafter, the move from Ken Dorsey to Joe Brady has not helped the offense. They dropped from third in EPA per play before the move to seventh afterward. They made the same drop in QBR while falling from fourth in points scored per drive to eighth. Their red zone efficiency fell from third to 17th.

The big improvement has been with turnovers, where the Bills ranked 31st in the percentage of drives ending in giveaways before the switch and 17th afterward. Given what we saw from Josh Allen (https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3918298/josh-allen) in Week 18 (https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/401547647/bills-dolphins), when he threw two interceptions into the end zone, lost a fumble and cost Buffalo a chance at a score before halftime by throwing the ball inbounds, I don't think we've seen Brady appreciably change the quarterback. I don't think Allen's true turnover rate is going to produce the second-most turnovers of any offense, but we're likely going to see the same Allen, both good and bad, that we saw earlier this season.

What I and others have been preaching all season long. Josh's TURNOVERS are KEY. Last month I detailed the comparison between Josh Allen and Mahomes in turnovers, in particular number of games that both threw ZERO INTS and games they threw 2+.

This info is accurate as of Dec 13th, 2023, before the Dallas game....

BUT, the margin between fantastic and out worldly AWESOME and championship level is illustrated by the facts when compared to THE most successful QB in the NFL (since 2018) Patrick Mahomes.

Mahomes simply makes less mistakes than Josh. Less INTs. Fewer fumbles. Fewer bad decisions.

The result is that Mahomes has NEVER played a road playoff game. KC has enjoyed a FIRST ROUND BYE in FOUR of the last FIVE years since both QB’s became starters in 2018…helping a massive amount for THREE Super Bowl appearances and TWO Super Bowl wins.

Why??

Because regular season wins are THE deciding factor in seeding and bye. And Mahomes has won more regular season games compared to Allen in every year since 2018.

In the past four years (including 2023 so far (note up to Dec 13th, 2023)) it’s been just ONE WIN (each season). But that ONE win is HUGE. THE difference between a much-needed week off before the playoffs start….and the advantage of playing against the lower seeded teams….at home.

The FACT that KC has had to win only TWO GAMES in the playoffs to get to the Super Bowl is a HUMONGOUS advantage.

The difference???? INTERCEPTIONS. THE main weakness of Josh.

Here are the facts.

Both QB’s became starters the same year, 2018 and they are very similar number of games….Mahomes, 92 games, Allen 89.

The biggest differences between the two concerning INT’s in how many games (and record) they each threw ZERO INTS, and how many games they threw 2+ INTs.

They are almost identical in number of games (and winning record) for 1 INT games.

Allen has 39 games in his career that he threw ZERO INTs….43.82% of the games.

His win % is 74.4%. 20-10.

Mahomes has MORE games with zero INTS and a better win % in those games….

Mahomes has 47 games in his career with zero INTs…41.09% of the games.

His win % is 87.2% 41-6.

Allen has 20 games in his career that he threw 2+ INTs…..22.4% of the games.

His win % is only 30%. 6-14.

Mahomes has only 11 games that he threw 2+ INTs…..12% of the games.

His win % is 45.5%....5-6.

One INT games are almost identical.

Josh Allen has 30 games in his career with 1 INT….33.71% of the games.

His win % is 76.7%...23-7

Mahomes has 34 games in his career with 1 INT….36.96% of the games.

His win % is 37%....26-8.

So, Mahomes has 8 more games with zero INTs, and a whopping NINE fewer games with 2+ INTs.

The same reality is present if we look at only since 2020….

Allen has 24 games since 2020 that he threw zero INTs….42.86% of the games.

His win % was 87.5%....21-3

Mahomes has 30 games (six more) since 2020 that he threw zero INTs….51.09% of the games.

His win % is 93.33%....28-2. SEVEN more wins.

Allen has 13 games since 2020 with 2+ INTs….23.21% of the games.

His win % is 38.46%....5-8

Mahomes has only EIGHT games since 2020 with 2+ INTs….13.79% of the games.

His win % is 50%....4-4.

Interestingly (and tellingly) the number and winning percentage of 1 INT games since 2020 is IDENTICAL for both QB’s.

Both QB’s had 24 games since 2020 when they threw 1 INT. Both had identical 70.83 win %....17-7.

The difference is number of games and win % in both ZERO INTs and 2+ INTS.

THAT is the margin that has Mahomes with the HUGE advantage of first round bye and NO road playoff games.

The point is NOT that Josh is NOT a “great QB”…he undeniably IS.

The point is NOT that “another QB on this team that would have fared better”…of course there isn’t….that is silly beyond measure.

The point is NOT that ANYONE is saying the Bills should trade Josh….how ****ing obtuse and purposely false.

The point is NOT that “What QB on this current team would fair better?”….of course there isn’t and NO ONE is saying otherwise…another strawman bullcrap lie.

The point is NOT that Josh does not score a LOT of TD….he does….but your argument is exposed for **** when you present the fact that Josh “second highest TD to INT ratio” DUH…SECOND is the KEY here.

BTW….Mahomes has more passing TDs than Josh in his career….in every year since 2018. Mahomes has more total TD’s in his career than Josh.

The POINT is that Josh needs to be just a little bit better with his decisions…just a little bit better in avoiding INTs…just a little bit smarter.

THAT is the difference between the number of regular season wins that produce the huge advantage that KC has had the past five years, which has then getting to THREE Super Bowls and winning TWO of them.

THAT is not only spot on narrative, it is backed up by the FACTS and the statistical (not “statical”) evidence
<style>@font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1107305727 0 0 415 0;}@font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536859905 -1073732485 9 0 511 0;}@font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1593833729 1073750107 16 0 415 0;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.5pt; font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; color:#222222;}.MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.5pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.5pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.5pt; font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif; mso-ascii-font-family:Verdana; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Verdana; color:#222222; mso-font-kerning:0pt; mso-ligatures:none;}div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;}</style>

<style>@font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1107305727 0 0 415 0;}@font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536859905 -1073732485 9 0 511 0;}@font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1593833729 1073750107 16 0 415 0;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.5pt; font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; color:#222222;}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;}a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; color:#954F72; mso-themecolor:followedhyperlink; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;}p {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman",serif; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}.MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.5pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.5pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.5pt; font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif; mso-ascii-font-family:Verdana; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Verdana; color:#222222; mso-font-kerning:0pt; mso-ligatures:none;}div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;}</style>

Albany,n.y.
01-11-2024, 04:58 PM
If we are talking backups, I'd much rather see Tyrod back as the backup.

Too expensive. By winning the season finale, Tyrod earned a couple of million on his next contract.

Forward_Lateral
01-11-2024, 06:25 PM
Too expensive. By winning the season finale, Tyrod earned a couple of million on his next contract.

I highly doubt it

Historian
01-12-2024, 04:47 AM
After running all over the Cowboys, we seem to have abandoned the run, resulting in more interceptions.

Just like when Dorsey was here.