• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cntrygal
    Visually stunning but camera-shy.
    • Jul 2002

The Steelers Plan

I hope they're sorely disappointed in their ability to run, much less get into the endzone.

Originally posted by notacon
    The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com
  • k-oneputt
    • Jun 2009

Re: The Steelers Plan

I’m sure McD. Is going to stack the box and make Rudolph beat him.
    I will take my chances with that.

Comment

• BillsFanCupp38
      • Mar 2004

If we get up fast with two touchdowns that plan will change quick
      Jeremy Cupp

Comment

• k-oneputt
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by BillsFanCupp38 View Post
        If we get up fast with two touchdowns that plan will change quick
        And that is exactly what we want.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
          • Aug 2004

There is a reason Rudolph was a third string QB. Back in 2019 when Ben went down and Rudolph named the starter, he was atrocious, tentative, routinely threw multiple picks to the point the Steelers went to guys like Duck Hodges for a spark (come around and think about it, it is not much different now other than Rudolph is playing the role of Hodges).

Naturally, there are a lot of talk about Rudolph's resurgence in the Pittsburgh. There are as many irrational, bi-polar fans about the Steelers just like we have for the Bills (well represented on this board), if not more. But the more rational analysts on Rudolph, to me, is guys like Louis Riddick (who was in front office of NFL teams) who said he saw a guy who got a rare opportunity and played free - "nothing to lose" mentality. You had guys before him, Pickett, Trubisky both had pressure to perform, went thru OC changes, played tight compared to this guy who is really the after-thought with a general expectation of "expected to lose". The game plan and everything is right around running the ball, minimizing the reliance on Rudolph, and he let it rip when called upon. It is often the recipe for a pleasant spike. Now credit to Rudolph that he did let balls fly to the stars of Steelers offense, Pickens, Johnson whereas his predecessors hesitated. In that sense, I see exactly what the Bills defensive players have been talking about in pressers and interviews about the Steelers: not much complex scheme, very physical, run the ball and get the ball to player makers (which they have quite a few).

If the Bills can stop the run, which I expect this version of the Bills D line can do, we can put pressure on Rudolph. He's pretty much a stationary guy so I do see the Bills pass rushers are licking their chops. But I expect Rudolph to throw 50-50 balls and I expect guys like Pickens will win some. That's where I think the game can be close. The most dangerous pressure is from the middle for stationary QBs. If Oliver and Jones can have a big game, stopping runs and pressure Rudolph, we just might see the 2019 version of Rudolph again Sunday afternoon.

Comment

• notacon
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
            There is a reason Rudolph was a third string QB. Back in 2019 when Ben went down and Rudolph named the starter, he was atrocious, tentative, routinely threw multiple picks to the point the Steelers went to guys like Duck Hodges for a spark (come around and think about it, it is not much different now other than Rudolph is playing the role of Hodges).

Naturally, there are a lot of talk about Rudolph's resurgence in the Pittsburgh. There are as many irrational, bi-polar fans about the Steelers just like we have for the Bills (well represented on this board), if not more. But the more rational analysts on Rudolph, to me, is guys like Louis Riddick (who was in front office of NFL teams) who said he saw a guy who got a rare opportunity and played free - "nothing to lose" mentality. You had guys before him, Pickett, Trubisky both had pressure to perform, went thru OC changes, played tight compared to this guy who is really the after-thought with a general expectation of "expected to lose". The game plan and everything is right around running the ball, minimizing the reliance on Rudolph, and he let it rip when called upon. It is often the recipe for a pleasant spike. Now credit to Rudolph that he did let balls fly to the stars of Steelers offense, Pickens, Johnson whereas his predecessors hesitated. In that sense, I see exactly what the Bills defensive players have been talking about in pressers and interviews about the Steelers: not much complex scheme, very physical, run the ball and get the ball to player makers (which they have quite a few).

If the Bills can stop the run, which I expect this version of the Bills D line can do, we can put pressure on Rudolph. He's pretty much a stationary guy so I do see the Bills pass rushers are licking their chops. But I expect Rudolph to throw 50-50 balls and I expect guys like Pickens will win some. That's where I think the game can be close. The most dangerous pressure is from the middle for stationary QBs. If Oliver and Jones can have a big game, stopping runs and pressure Rudolph, we just might see the 2019 version of Rudolph again Sunday afternoon.
            +1

Rudolph's "resurgence" is more because of the crappy QB play of Trubisky and him facing the two of the worst defenses in the NFL (Cincy #31 in average yards allowed and Seattle #30 in the same) and Baltimore's second and third string.

The Steelers will be able to run the ball, especially if Dodson is out but having DaQuan Jones back is HUGE (no pun intended). The Bills are going to dare Rudolph to pass the ball in extremely high winds in a stadium he has never played in so he has no experience with the how the wind effects passes.

Pittsburgh's path to success is to run the **** out of the ball, don't turn it over and wait or cause the Bills to turn it over.

Josh has to be be very careful and smart with the ball as do anyone who handles it. If Josh throws NO INT's the Bills win quite easily. Fumbles (by anyone) could negate that advantage.

Comment

• Mace
              Haha...yeah you think so ?
              • Mar 2013

No disrespect to the Steelers, who toughed their way through a season admirable without a QB....they can plod through this one if we let them.

Imho, this game is Buffalo against themselves.

Strongly hope Brady and McDermott watch the windsocks.

Comment

• Woodman
                Legendary Zoner
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                Strongly hope Brady and McDermott watch the windsocks.
                Marv sure did and it worked out pretty well at home during those times of high winds.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Mace
                  Haha...yeah you think so ?
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
                  Marv sure did and it worked out pretty well at home during those times of high winds.
                  Had a big effect in the Bullough era as well when they took the sails out of our winds.

Comment

• Kenny
                    • Aug 2004

This is going to be a tough and physical game. Kind of reminds me of the season opener against the Jets.
                    I figure the weather is going neutralize any advantage we have in the passing game (which is really our main advantage). Worries me a bit, because without the passing attack I'm not sure we're going to be able to get up to a big early lead and for the Steelers to abandon the run.

If it wasnt for the weather, the game could have been over after the first half. Now, it's going to be a dogfight.

Comment

• Oaf
                      Do you read what you write?
                      • Jun 2007

On our side, why can't I trust Cook to get more than 50 yards without a fumble or drop in these conditions? I'm ok with Ty Johnson starting and Fournette or Murray backing him up honestly. Cook will be called upon when we're back in a dome for the SB.

Comment

• Cntrygal
                        Visually stunning but camera-shy.
                        • Jul 2002

I met a Steelers fan today at the Vet Center and he was all about how great Rudolph is playing and he fully expects Rudolph to light up the Bills D.

I laughed.
                        Originally posted by notacon
                        The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• Woodman
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Oaf View Post
                          On our side, why can't I trust Cook to get more than 50 yards without a fumble or drop in these conditions? I'm ok with Ty Johnson starting and Fournette or Murray backing him up honestly. Cook will be called upon when we're back in a dome for the SB.
                          Who would cover Cook when he goes in motion and into the flat?

I'd spread that field wide open.

Josh will take care of the rest.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Oaf View Post
                            Johnson was still limited today and no word on him clearing concussion protocol yet.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Kenny
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
                              I'd spread that field wide open.
                              this isnt going to be a pass happy game

Comment

Working...
                              X