PDA

View Full Version : 9:06AM Travel ban remains in place in and around Buffalo

Woodman
01-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Those who were complaining about the postponement of the Steelers-Bills game from Sunday at 1:00 p.m. ET to Monday at 4:30 p.m. ET got real quiet real fast when video emerged of the Ice Station Zebra conditions (https://x.com/BuffaloBills/status/1746314390989640133?s=20) at the stadium on Saturday night.

As of Sunday morning, New York Governor Kathy Hochul said a travel ban remains in place for Erie County and surrounding areas, until further notice.

“My top priority is to keep New Yorkers safe, and this winter storm continues to pose a life and safety risk (https://www.wgrz.com/article/weather/winter-storm-updates-lake-effect-snow-and-high-winds-bring-wintry-weather-to-wny/71-6f9b10cd-2b94-4fe0-b99d-9d539f407c09),” she said, via WGRZ.com. “While there are some areas that are no longer experiencing whiteout conditions, much of Erie County remains unsafe for motorists. Please take precautions, monitor local forecasts and take steps to keep you and your family safe.”

Travel ban remains in place in and around Buffalo - NBC Sports (https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/travel-ban-remains-in-place-in-and-around-buffalo)

Woodman
01-14-2024, 09:09 AM
The issue isn’t whether it’s safe to play in the elements. The issue is whether it’s safe for people to travel to and from the game. And whether it’s sensible to have resources devoted to rescuing those who attempt and fail to get there. And whether it makes sense to unnecessarily imperil first responders who would be trying to help those who end up in a jam from which they’d need to be saved.

Even if the Bills were building a domed stadium, this would still be a possibility. During the 2022 season, a game was moved to Detroit due to the snow. It’s an inherent risk, and periodic reality, of having an NFL team in Buffalo.

OpIv37
01-14-2024, 09:56 AM
I read in another article that even if it’s not bad in the Southtowns, it might be bad in the Northtowns, and Bills games require a lot of public resources that might be needed in other areas where the snow is worse.

The rest of the county doesn’t seem to understand how lake effect works. Some places can get a dusting where other places just a couple miles away might get feet. Even if it’s not bad right near the stadium it’s impossible for most people to get to the stadium without driving through the bad areas.

Novacane
01-14-2024, 10:00 AM
It turned out to be a good decision. F that damn snow machine lake Erie! It sure would be nice to be getting ready to watch the game!

Woodman
01-14-2024, 10:14 AM
It turned out to be a good decision. F that damn snow machine lake Erie! It sure would be nice to be getting ready to watch the game!

I'm watching the Chiefs Dolphins ..... should just find a good movie. :idunno:

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-14-2024, 10:17 AM
you guys realize that MOST people have NO IDEA what a snow storm is, or how it affects a region. All they see is KC played and it was colder than most people ever experience. When western NYers hear -4 we think "oh well" when everyone south of PA hears it they think Armagedon. so they think if KC can do it why cant Buffalo? Cold is not the same thing as SNOW. We know it but most people do not.

Forward_Lateral
01-14-2024, 10:23 AM
It’s not the snow as much as its the wind that wreaks havoc. We’ve been having 50-60mph winds here the last few days and probably an inch of snow, max, and the major highways are a disaster

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-14-2024, 10:45 AM
Id be willing to bet we will see plenty of footage today showing OUR stadium during what would have been game time. The NFL will work hard to show they made the right decision

TheConsigliere
01-14-2024, 10:54 AM
Id be willing to bet we will see plenty of footage today showing OUR stadium during what would have been game time. The NFL will work hard to show they made the right decision
AND they did.

Woodman
01-14-2024, 10:57 AM
Looks like a death scene.

I'm glad they delayed it.

Skooby
01-14-2024, 11:03 AM
No way the stadium area is cleared or ready by tomorrow, there’s zero chance of it. The snow band is set up there right now, it’s clocking the place. It was always a Tuesday game.

T&C
01-14-2024, 11:04 AM
Level 1 has been cancelled.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GD0Lk19WIAAXGtK?format=jpg&name=small

Woodman
01-14-2024, 11:08 AM
No way the stadium area is cleared or ready by tomorrow, there’s zero chance of it. The snow band is set up there right now, it’s clocking the place. It was always a Tuesday game.
How long before they announce that?

Skooby
01-14-2024, 11:19 AM
How long before they announce that?

They’ll announce it around 4:30 PM to give ~24 hour notice. Steelers aren’t here yet & do have a scheduled flight into the area around 3:43 PM today (leaving Pittsburgh around 3 PM).

Novacane
01-14-2024, 11:21 AM
If they know that there's no good reason not to announce it now.

Forward_Lateral
01-14-2024, 11:25 AM
I have 10 bucks that says the game gets moved

Novacane
01-14-2024, 11:39 AM
Atlanta

Woodman
01-14-2024, 11:46 AM
Bills players, coaches scrap plans to go to facility on Sunday

Before facing the Steelers, the Bills get an extra day of work. But they’ll be working from home.

As noted by Mike Garafolo of NFL Media, Bills players and coaches had hoped to go to the facility today (https://twitter.com/mikegarafolo/status/1746560247613821121?s=46&t=ne7j9cQJYEejr8GPFx8sdA). Due to the ongoing storm and travel ban, that won’t be happening.

Presumably, everyone will be able to get to wherever they need to go by tomorrow. At some point, the Steelers will fly to the area. If the travel ban remains in place — and if the roads aren’t cleared — they could have much more of an adventure getting from Point A to Point B than the Bills, whose players and coaches will just stay home until it’s time to go to the stadium on Monday.

notacon
01-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Spoken like a clueless Floridian. :D:

Saying "No way the stadium area is cleared or ready by tomorrow, there’s zero chance of it." is foolish at best. Embarrassingly ignorant at worst.

Not to say that there is "zero chance" of the game NOT being further postponed, but there is very reasonable chance that the roads will be well cleared enough to proceed with the scheduled 4:30PM kickoff.

I lived south of Buffalo for several years. I lived through the Blizzard of '77 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_of_1977). Buffalo knows how to move snow and make road passable.

Novacane
01-14-2024, 01:10 PM
Spoken like a clueless Floridian. :D:

Saying "No way the stadium area is cleared or ready by tomorrow, there’s zero chance of it." is foolish at best. Embarrassingly ignorant at worst.

Not to say that there is "zero chance" of the game NOT being further postponed, but there is very reasonable chance that the roads will be well cleared enough to proceed with the scheduled 4:30PM kickoff.

I lived south of Buffalo for several years. I lived through the Blizzard of '77 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_of_1977). Buffalo knows how to move snow and make road passable.

It's gotta stop snowing for that to happen though. I haven't heard if it's stopped?

Turf
01-14-2024, 01:56 PM
They'll play with no fans if necessary. If they move elsewhere it will be empty because no one can get there in 24 hours.

notacon
01-14-2024, 02:04 PM
It's gotta stop snowing for that to happen though. I haven't heard if it's stopped?
Not necessarily. Plowing and extensive salting takes place while it's snowing.

The worst additional will slow down by early Monday. The worst of the snow is in "persistent bands". Sometimes those bands are just a mile or two wide. And they fluctuate depending on how the wind blow....like a snake.

I see by your profile that you are a Floridian too although only since 2020. I went to college at SUNY Fredonia where you spent "most of your life". Fred is usually spared lake effect snow. Besides many years in the snow belt (but not Orchard Park....which is different than Hamburg....which is different from East Aurora) I also lived in the city of Buffalo and in the suburb of Kenmore, north of the city.

Many, many times, when East Aurora and Hamburg were getting smacked with snow, Orchard Park got half as much, and Kenmore would be sunny.

Weird.

In any event, the hourly forecasts for OP have the snow starting to taper off early Monday morning, and stop an hour or two before scheduled kick off.

Just an hour or so ago, there was a live report on NFL Gameday next to the stadium and there was no snow coming down.

At this point, with the reports I've seen and my personal experience....I expect the chances of the game going on as scheduled at about 80-90%.

notacon
01-14-2024, 02:59 PM
One more important point.

Having a driving ban in place today makes plowing and salting exponentially easier and more effective.

Woodman
01-14-2024, 03:07 PM

Having a driving ban in place today makes plowing and salting exponentially easier and more effective.

Plow Plow Plow

sukie
01-14-2024, 03:16 PM

Plus if you are out and about, have a big old American car (or an infinity, or Lexus) you can do donuts on the 290

ckg927
01-14-2024, 03:41 PM
Latest news:

-Per WGRZ's Lindsay Moppert, the Steelers HAVE arrived in Buffalo. This happened within the hour.

-At 3:30pm, the travel ban was lifted in the northern part of Erie County(Grand Island, Tonawanda, Amherst, Williamsville, Clarence, Akron and Newstead). It was ended in the southern part of the county this morning.

-Gov. Hochul noted at her storm update presser an hour ago that the game WILL go on tomorrow afternoon and will NOT be moved again.

-The Winter Storm Warning is set to expire tomorrow morning at 7am.