PDA

View Full Version : A different kind of drought

YardRat
01-22-2024, 06:15 AM
But it's still a drought.

When that drought is not making the playoffs at all, it's obvious to everybody that changes need to be made...something different needs to be done.

When that drought is an inability to get past the divisional round of the playoffs, when does it become obvious that 'changes' and 'different' are necessary?

This team has playoff DNA...but they don't have championship DNA.

Novacane
01-22-2024, 07:22 AM
McD is a playoff coach. He's not a championship coach.

Historian
01-22-2024, 08:09 AM
https://scontent-ord5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/421501477_10159975676530017_5842138383319060432_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p180x540&_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=dd5e9f&_nc_ohc=fbGOMdOUzzIAX9-aJ4Z&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.xx&oh=00_AfAhXJK1oFgIFEO1JnDDapd7O_McJHUQ79yD2sr_xQNqBA&oe=65B3BA75

ParanoidAndroid
01-22-2024, 08:11 AM
There was a noticeable decline in the play of several guys this season.

Both Safeties are looking like they should retire. Maybe Poyer has another season in him. Hyde is done. He was awesome for us so it makes me sad to say it.

Floyd started out great but disappeared late in the season.

Von is making too much for a guy that may have an empty tank.

Diggs wasn't consistently separating and that very well could be because he was playing hurt. He sat out a lot of plays this year.

Davis was not close being as good as he has been.

Bass looks like something is wrong with him.

Josh was forcing a lot of throws and throwing really bad interceptions, as in repeating the same mistakes multiple times. His throws didn't look as easy as when he was chucking it in 2021 and the beginning of 22. But I'm less worried about him.

justasportsfan
01-22-2024, 08:30 AM
The same was said about Cowher before he finally won a sb.

Historian
01-22-2024, 08:35 AM
Reid.

Go back and look at his Philly records.

Abysmal.

Woodman
01-22-2024, 08:52 AM
We need defensive talent .... we applied no pressure and we're lacking terribly in coverage.

The right hand didn't know what to expect from the left.

Benford and Bernard would probably have made a difference but it's more than that.

Poyer and Hyde can't cut it .... their better days have long passed by.

Gotta cut bait with many.

Novacane
01-22-2024, 08:53 AM
Reid.

Abysmal.

Big difference. Reid never had a super star QB in Philly yet he still could get to the playoffs. McNabb was not a super star so don't even go there.

McDermott has the great QB and still can't win in the playoffs. If he didn't have JA he'd never make the playoffs. Hell, he'd of been fired after 3 years and DC somewhere. McD is not in Reids league.

Historian
01-22-2024, 08:59 AM
Big difference. Reid never had a super star QB in Philly yet he still could get to the playoffs. McNabb was not a super star so don't even go there.

McDermott has the great QB and still can't win in the playoffs. If he didn't have JA he'd never make the playoffs. Hell, he'd of been fired after 3 years and DC somewhere. McD is not in Reids league.

You missed my point.

It was his first HC gig.

He took a lot of playoff lumps, even though his teams performed well enough to usually make the post-season.

That's where McDermott is at.

And McNabb was pretty good.

Novacane
01-22-2024, 09:06 AM
You missed my point.

It was his first HC gig.

He took a lot of playoff lumps, even though his teams performed well enough to usually make the post-season.

What point did I miss? That McDermott will eventually get there? I don't see it.

- - - Updated - - -

You missed my point.

It was his first HC gig.

He's not PM or JA though. They're future HOF'ers.

Historian
01-22-2024, 09:13 AM
I feel bad for you then Nov, because the last 5 or 6 years have been pretty special, IMO.

Novacane
01-22-2024, 11:11 AM
I feel bad for you then Nov, because the last 5 or 6 years have been pretty special, IMO.

I'm almost as old as you so I know that. I'd like to see a championship in my lifetime though. Do you think McDermott can get us one? I have serious doubts about that.

I'm not even one that's really all about firing him. I was at 6-6. Not so much now because I know it could get a lot worse. Id be ok with taking the gamble we could get the guy but im ok staying the course too.Maybe we'll get lucky one year. I'm just not going to expect it.

Typ0
01-22-2024, 11:45 AM

The last 5 or 6 years has been pretty special if you are a part of a loser culture with a loser mentality.

Other than that the last 5 or 6 years has done nothing but fall short of the goals.

Guess you can sign-up for the finger pointers and/or excuse makers or the ones who don't accept anything until they hoist the Lombardi. IF JA is the talent than can get it done then we need the later here fast....

YardRat
01-22-2024, 11:48 AM
The same was said about Cowher before he finally won a sb.

Reid.

Abysmal.
Bill Cowher took Pittsburgh to a Super Bowl within his first three years.

Reid never took a team to the SB until he was on his second team.

The goal for us isn't to have McD (or Allen) go elsewhere and win a title for somebody else. It's for them to win one here.

But what both have been doing isn't working, so both need to make changes to get over the hump.

OpIv37
01-22-2024, 02:02 PM

The last 5 or 6 years were better than the 2 decade mark, but we have to want more.

NE made 9 SB's with Brady and won 6.
KC with Mahomes already made 3 SB's and won 2 and they likely aren't done yet.
The Bengals and Eagles have made it to the SB with their current QB's.

I left a few teams out too. It's great that we broke the drought and can consistently win the div and make the playoffs but at some point it's not enough. I don't expect Allen to win 6 but one would be nice. Hell, just winning the AFC would be nice.

Historian
01-22-2024, 02:34 PM
Tasker had an interesting analogy on today's show, re: McDermott.

If your door doesn't close properly, do you tear down the whole house?

:roflmao:

YardRat
01-22-2024, 02:41 PM
Saddest day of the year. The Bills Christmas Tree came down and is packed away for another off-season. Just once I'd like to keep it up through February.

notacon
01-22-2024, 03:19 PM
Bill Cowher took Pittsburgh to a Super Bowl within his first three years.

Reid never took a team to the SB until he was on his second team.

The goal for us isn't to have McD (or Allen) go elsewhere and win a title for somebody else. It's for them to win one here.

But what both have been doing isn't working, so both need to make changes to get over the hump.

The more accurate statement is that "Reid never took a team to the SB until he" had Patrick Mahomes at QB.

I've presented the facts before....

This is false. THE coach that matters, head coach Andy Reid, has been the same since 2013.

Every team has "multiple roster changes" every single year. Overthecap did analysis (https://overthecap.com/roster-turnover-in-the-nfl) (in 2020, there is no reason to think it's different since then) and roster turnover, across the NFL as they state quite clearly...."To say NFL rosters are unstable is certainly an understatement. On average only 56% of players return from one year to the next and two years out it is just around 35%."

Simple.

Patrick Mahomes.

Josh Allen is an elite QB for sure, and the reason the Bills are considered, and will continue to be considered SB contenders. He makes astounding plays with his arm and legs. A true gunslinger that can do it ALL on the field, make every throw.

The FACT is that Mahomes is simply better than any other NFL QB today, (including Josh Allen) and it's by quite a significant margin.

Why???

He RARELY makes boneheaded mistakes. When he does....like in the AFCC game vs Cincy when he made a rookie mistake at the end of the first half giving up a sure FG, to his EPICALLY awful performance in OT....the Chiefs are much more likely to lose.

When Josh Allen plays mistake free football, the Bills are almost unstoppable.

Back to Andy Reid....the Chiefs were a very good team with a very good QB, Alex Smith (with Kelce) from his first year with KC. Their playoff success?? Not much.

2013 - one and out - lost in WC round
2014 - missed playoffs
2015 - won WC, lost Div to NE and Brady
2016 - one and out - lost in Div to Pittsburgh (did not play in WC, they were #2 seed)
2017 - one and out - lost to Tenn in WC

For the math challenged, that is a 1-4 record.

2018 Patrick Mahomes takes over as starting QB....

2018 - lost in AFCC to NE and Brady (they had fist round bye via #1 seed)
2019 - won Super Bowl beating HOU in Div, and Tenn in AFCC. Did not have to play against NE and Brady. (they had fist round bye via #2 seed)
2020 - lost SB to Tampa Bay and TOM BRADY. (they had fist round bye via #1 seed) - Bills get #2 seed but because of playoff change do NOT get first round bye.
2021 - lost to Cincy in AFCC - they did NOT get first round bye
2022 - won SB - (they had fist round bye via #1 seed)

Sensing a pattern here???? No Mahomes, no success. Mahomes - great success.

Same with Belichick and Brady.

Same with Paul Brown and Otto Graham (yes, the great Paul Brown never won a championship without Otto Graham at QB).

Same with Vince Lombardi and Bart Starr (yes, the great Vince Lombardi never won a championship without Bart Starr at QB).

Your EPICALLY terrible post (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/263978-Proud-of-this-team-so-far?p=5048014&viewfull=1#post5048014) "I’m rooting for them to lose from here on out, only a coaching change and roster turnover can fix this." makes even less sense when the facts and reality are comprehended.

The FACT is that there is ALWAYS "roster turnover" every stinkin' year for every team. A "coaching change" will accomplish nothing, just like a coaching change for KC would have done nothing to cause the Chiefs' rise...it was the addition of almost mistake free Patrick Mahomes that brought KC over the hump.

When Josh Allen starts playing mistake free football at the level of Mahomes and Brady, the Bills will see success.

The difference is more Allen vs Mahomes....not McD's perceived shortcomings (although some are apparent).

As I pointed out here (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/264892-At-2-min-mark?p=5078449&viewfull=1#post5078449)....the Josh Allen Experience™ STILL has him making questionable decisions that were on full display with the ill advised incomplete throw into the end zone at 2:00 and 2nd and 9 at the KC 26.

As I wrote....

Besides the fact that Diggs was wide open....the SMART GAME SITUATION is to NOT score a TD too quickly!!!!

It's obvious that Josh Allen IS a superstar and an undeniable elite QB. I believe that he will (eventually) win a SB. BUT, Mahomes is simply better. He makes better decision and makes less mistakes. Mahomes played a perfect game yesterday....Josh played an almost perfect game.

The difference between "perfect" and "almost perfect" is a tiny slice of incredibly narrow difference, but is the difference between going to six straight AFCC games and thee Super Bowls with two Super Bowl wins and getting booted form the divisional round three years in a row.

Mace
01-22-2024, 04:03 PM

By the same token though, if you have a hole in your roof and your foundation is cracked, you're not really going to spend a couple years focusing on individual doors closing properly...

McDermott isn't going anywhere atm, doesn't mean he's not a problem among other problems.

Historian
01-22-2024, 04:35 PM
By the same token though, if you have a hole in your roof and your foundation is cracked, you're not really going to spend a couple years focusing on individual doors closing properly...

McDermott isn't going anywhere atm, doesn't mean he's not a problem among other problems.

You just described Chan Gailey's Bills team....not McDermott's.

Novacane
01-22-2024, 04:48 PM
So what on the team is the door that won't close?

sahlensguy
01-22-2024, 04:54 PM
So what on the team is the door that won't close?

This.

I have an occasional runny toilet. I want to know who is that, too

Historian
01-22-2024, 07:12 PM
https://scontent-ord5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/422129904_408122008447255_8085918979362857583_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s640x640&_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=dd5e9f&_nc_ohc=XmCrzgdCRbAAX_QvBsv&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.xx&oh=00_AfDcRDIMF_E9hFq_fzCJI8YlxP6ZTwDFfg6PjD0k588aWg&oe=65B3996F

OpIv37
01-22-2024, 08:27 PM

What a dumb take. Say your front door doesn’t close properly. Most of the time it’s fine, but occasionally someone figures it out and steals stuff when you aren’t home. And sometimes if it rains hard, water gets inside and causes some damage.

Over time, you fix a lot of the components around the door. The window, the locks, the latch/knob, the hinges, the insulation around the frame, etc…. But no matter what you change, it still doesn’t close properly and water still gets inside and stuff still gets stolen sometimes.

Maybe you don’t move out or tear down the house, but at some point, you have to admit that everything else is fine but the front door needs to be ripped out and completely replaced.

Borosai
01-22-2024, 08:47 PM

:trance: That's one of the worst analogies I've ever come across.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-23-2024, 04:56 AM
I’m anti McDermott (not quite as much as Chet, but up there) and I don’t put this loss on him.

Other than the fake punt which ended up costing nothing, he wasn’t tackling, or dropping touchdowns

Historian
01-23-2024, 05:10 AM
Maybe you don’t move out or tear down the house, but at some point, you have to admit that everything else is fine but the front door needs to be ripped out and completely replaced.

I believe that was his point.

Firing McDermott would be tantamount to "tearing down the house".

An overreaction if you will.

:D

YardRat
01-23-2024, 05:15 AM
The problem is the door hasn't been closing properly for several years, and either they don't know how to fix it or they are ignoring it and hoping it will fix itself.

DetoxTent
01-23-2024, 05:19 AM
The problem is the door hasn't been closing properly for several years, and either they don't know how to fix it or they are ignoring it and hoping it will fix itself.

This.

DetoxTent
01-23-2024, 05:22 AM
And, now, fixing it with the next draft? Too many needs. All parts of the defense need to be bolstered from safety, to linebacker, to d-line. There is suddenly this urgency to restock all the WRs. Morse is getting any younger. Some here express desire to upgrade kicker and punter. Where to start. Too much to do with only 7 rounds. Free agency losses will make this all exponentially worse as the expiring contracts list is long.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-23-2024, 07:00 AM
Next year I expect a relatively significant step back for all the reasons in the post above