PDA

View Full Version : Bills officially interviewing Joe Brady for full-time OC position

Woodman
01-25-2024, 04:19 PM
Bills officially interviewing Joe Brady for full-time OC position - Buffalo Rumblings (https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2024/1/25/24050671/buffalo-bills-officially-interviewing-joe-brady-for-full-time-oc-position-josh-allen-stefon-diggs)

Brady, who was hired as Buffalo’s quarterbacks coach in 2022, was promoted to interim offensive coordinator following the dismissal of Ken Dorsey in November. Upon promotion, Brady took over play calling for the offense over the course of the final nine games of the 2023 NFL season.

This news shouldn’t come as a surprise whatsoever considering quarterback Josh Allen has already publicly endorsed Brady returning next season as the full-time play caller. Brady’s track record as a full-time offensive coordinator isn’t necessarily eye-opening considering he was hired in 2020 by, you guessed it, the Carolina Panthers (https://www.catscratchreader.com/), and was fired just one season later.

Brady completed an interview with the Atlanta Falcons (https://www.thefalcoholic.com/) for their vacant head coach position last week.

Woodman
01-25-2024, 04:45 PM
I expect the Bills to sign him very soon.

mightysimi
01-26-2024, 09:30 AM
If he has a plan to fix the passing game. We went from only getting WR production to barely any in a very short time. There has to be a better balance there.

sukie
01-26-2024, 10:19 AM
One is better receivers. That will help. Then scheme them so tight man doesn’t work so well.

Forward_Lateral
01-26-2024, 10:35 AM
Dumb question

Do they have a passing game co-ordinator?

OpIv37
01-26-2024, 10:48 AM
Meh. The O did better when he took over but still failed when it mattered most.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-26-2024, 10:57 AM
Un-popular suggestion: Josh McDaniels. We need to at least make an inquiry. He had success as OC with Pats, with Tom Brady. Even some limited success with Mac Jones. And the Bills are running the same system.

He has failed as an HC and supposedly a douchebag in handling players. In his stint as Denver's HC, he famously said "I can turn a high school QB into an NFL star." I don't know if it would work, or Allen & the rest of the offensive guys will like him --- those coached by McDaniels in the past called him Belichick wanna-be by using the same abrasive manners to callout guys, posting things to humiliating guys for mistakes in previous day practice etc.

The success he had is with BB as the HC which is a bigger douchebag I suppose. So he may not taking as much hate from players in that situation.

Woodman
01-26-2024, 11:25 AM
Former Bills QB Thad Lewis is expected to interview for their offensive coordinator job (https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/former-bills-qb-thad-lewis-is-expected-to-interview-for-their-offensive-coordinator-job)

Thad Lewis once played quarterback for the Bills and the team plans to interview him about a spot on Sean McDermott’s staff.

Jeremy Fowler of ESPN reports that the Bills plan to interview Lewis as an offensive coordinator candidate. Lewis is currently the Buccaneers’ quarterbacks coach and he’s also in the mix (https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/raiders-request-interview-with-thad-lewis-for-offensive-coordinator) for the coordinator job with the Raiders.

Lewis started five games for the Bills during the 2013 season and threw for 1,092 yards, four touchdowns, and three interceptions. He spent time with seven other teams before moving into coaching at UCLA in 2018. He joined the Bucs in 2021 and moved up to quarterbacks coach in 2023.

Bill Cody
01-26-2024, 11:34 AM
I'm in favor of keeping Brady

Turf
01-26-2024, 12:19 PM
Well since Brady was fired in Carolina as OC after 1 year, and Dorsey was fired 1.5 years in, and our DC quit, aren't we running a bit thin trying to win it all with perennial tryouts for the positions??

imbondz
01-26-2024, 12:28 PM
Good. I liked him for his first time being OC and the fact Josh wants him back solidifies it.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-26-2024, 12:48 PM
Good. I liked him for his first time being OC and the fact Josh wants him back solidifies it.
Josh also wanted Dorsey so I’m not sure his endorsement means much

jamze132
01-26-2024, 09:54 PM
Un-popular suggestion: Josh McDaniels. We need to at least make an inquiry. He had success as OC with Pats, with Tom Brady. Even some limited success with Mac Jones. And the Bills are running the same system.

He has failed as an HC and supposedly a douchebag in handling players. In his stint as Denver's HC, he famously said "I can turn a high school QB into an NFL star." I don't know if it would work, or Allen & the rest of the offensive guys will like him --- those coached by McDaniels in the past called him Belichick wanna-be by using the same abrasive manners to callout guys, posting things to humiliating guys for mistakes in previous day practice etc.

The success he had is with BB as the HC which is a bigger douchebag I suppose. So he may not taking as much hate from players in that situation.

He had success because he had Brady. Pass on anything McDaniels related.

Oaf
01-26-2024, 10:29 PM
JB didn't do anything special. Kurt Warner shredded the offensive performance post-KC. How many 2nd and 1s were you begging for a PA pass?

Let's offer him another season at QB coach and bring in a more innovative thinker.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-26-2024, 10:48 PM
I think it noticeable that Brady finally got Allen to look for short (Behind LOS) and medium to short (<5) as first option, thus improving his passing game in that space. Teams had been playing us in zone and taking away Josh's comfort zone of those 10 - 20 yard passing lanes (which led to so many INTs). BUT, the Chiefs game and a few games before that, teams starting to bring people up to take away the short passing game, very noticeable in the 2nd half of the Chiefs game. Basically they are saying our CBs are better than your receivers; beat us 20 yards down the field if you can. That's where the Diggs decline came into the picture, the Davis' injury (which was already in decline of himself), Sherfield's shortcoming of catching deep balls, and some of Josh's over throw all into the focus. It is as it is coming into a complete 180. We used to beat them deep consistently, now we can do the running of Cook, short passes involving RBs and Diggs etc., but can't beat them deep.

We just can't do both. It is why Beane said we need some speed in end-of-season presser. I think we need an upcoming WR #1 who can beat them deep consistently. The encourage part is that Allen seems to be back in form to throw accurate deep balls as well as shorter passes. So the critical problem of potential shortcoming of the QB is not an issue. Beane need to hit a bullseye on a WR this draft in my opinion. I don't expect an instant star, but do what the Packers did on WR.

notacon
01-27-2024, 12:44 PM
I think it noticeable that Brady finally got Allen to look for short (Behind LOS) and medium to short (<5) as first option, thus improving his passing game in that space. Teams had been playing us in zone and taking away Josh's comfort zone of those 10 - 20 yard passing lanes (which led to so many INTs). BUT, the Chiefs game and a few games before that, teams starting to bring people up to take away the short passing game, very noticeable in the 2nd half of the Chiefs game. Basically they are saying our CBs are better than your receivers; beat us 20 yards down the field if you can. That's where the Diggs decline came into the picture, the Davis' injury (which was already in decline of himself), Sherfield's shortcoming of catching deep balls, and some of Josh's over throw all into the focus. It is as it is coming into a complete 180. We used to beat them deep consistently, now we can do the running of Cook, short passes involving RBs and Diggs etc., but can't beat them deep.

We just can't do both. It is why Beane said we need some speed in end-of-season presser. I think we need an upcoming WR #1 who can beat them deep consistently. The encourage part is that Allen seems to be back in form to throw accurate deep balls as well as shorter passes. So the critical problem of potential shortcoming of the QB is not an issue. Beane need to hit a bullseye on a WR this draft in my opinion. I don't expect an instant star, but do what the Packers did on WR.

THE difference in the KC game was the Bills lack of downfield success and big plays, while KC did (eight times vs the Bills ZERO).

I appreciated Brady's game plan to control the ball, run, run, run and short passes. That should have made a few downfield plays more possible. Two opportunities failed because the receivers could not catch the ball. Sherfield's was a tough catch, but I firmly believe that Gabe Davis would have had a much better chance of doing so.

Diggs' miss is simply inexcusable and inexplicable.

The overriding failure was lack of legitimate talent to compliment Stefon Diggs.

Because of the cap issues, it's unlikely Diggs goes anywhere for 2024. I agree with you 100% that "Beane need to hit a bullseye on a WR this draft in my opinion. I don't expect an instant star, but do what the Packers did on WR.".

Beane DID hit the jackpot with Shakir as he is undoubtedly an excellent core WR that he stole in 5th round. But, he's a slot receiver (critically important for sure) in the Beasley/McKenzie role. Shakir is clearly better than both of them....Beasley because of his age and McKenzie because Shakir is just head and shoulders better.

Gabe Davis is not the #2 guy. He had his moments but inconsistency and failure to get separation made him a liability. He can happily sign with another team.

We have no idea what Justin Shorter is but one of his strengths coming out of college was his "long ball speed" and immense size and reach. Can Beane hit with another 5th round pick??? Sure hope so.

A lot of us wanted the Bills to finally draft a WR in round 1 last year, but when the run of four WR's (the only four worth a first round pick) right before Buffalo's pick (from #20 to #23) Beane did the next best thing with Kincaid, who has every indication of developing into a star pass catcher.

Instead of being myopic on drafted a WR in the first two rounds another HUGE need fell into Beane's lap and O'Cyrus Torrence sure looks like an anchor at RG for years to come...just what the Bills needed.

So, yeah....there is a huge need to hit on a WR and I believe we will all be looking for the Bills to finally spend a premium draft pick (1st or 2nd round...besides the Diggs trade) on a weapon for Josh.

Woodman
01-27-2024, 09:21 PM
Meh. The O did better when he took over but still failed when it mattered most.
The depleted D is what cost us the victory ..... not the O.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-28-2024, 08:10 AM
I agree Woodman. Defense lost us the Chiefs game, and likely doomed us the rest of the playoff even if managed to pass teh Chiefs. Secondary Rasul Douglas was not himself. The safeties lost more than a step the whole season. Linebackers down to practice squad players leading the charge. DLine was left with Oliver playing unsustenable 80% of the snaps where Jones and Von were all a shell of themselves due to the recovery stage of their injury.

The O had to play near perfect, and they almost did. The Bills had 5 scoring drives, including 3 TD, 1 missed but routine FG drives, actually matched what the Chiefs O did - though I think if needed, the Chiefs may have another scoring drive in them.

Back to the draft. I will still say first round, pick the guy in Bills scouting mind that most likely to become a dominating, HoF-possibility player, regardless position. That is the Kincaid approach. Those guys are game changers and can affect a game in unexpected way.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-28-2024, 08:22 AM
I'll also make a comment on Shakir. I don't think he is in the mold of Beasley/Mckenzie, I actually think he may have a ceiling of Edelman: dependable hands, surprisingly strong run-after-catch ability, and most importantly a precise route runner. I think we saw many observed that the Bills WRs often run inacurate routes resulting inadequate spacing.

Shakir:

<tbody>
Height
Weight
Arm length
Hand span
40-yard dash (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40-yard_dash)
10-yard split
20-yard split
20-yard shuttle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20-yard_shuttle)
Three-cone drill (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-cone_drill)
Vertical jump (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_jump)
Broad jump (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_long_jump)
Bench press (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Scouting_Combine#Bench_press_records)

5 ft 11+7⁄8 in
(1.83 m)
196 lb
(89 kg)
29 in
(0.74 m)
9+1⁄2 in
(0.24 m)
4.43 s
1.49 s
2.53 s
4.21 s
7.28 s
38.5 in
(0.98 m)
10 ft 4 in
(3.15 m)
16 reps

</tbody>
Edelman's change of direction acceleration is top tier

<tbody>
Height
Weight
40-yard dash (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40-yard_dash)
10-yard split
20-yard split
20-yard shuttle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20-yard_shuttle)
Three-cone drill (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-cone_drill)
Vertical jump (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_jump)
Broad jump (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_long_jump)
Bench press (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Scouting_Combine#Bench_press_records)

5 ft 10+3⁄8 in
(1.79 m)
195 lb
(88 kg)
4.52 s
1.52 s
2.58 s
3.92 s
6.62 s
36.5 in
(0.93 m)
10 ft 3 in
(3.12 m)
14 reps

</tbody>

Woodman
01-28-2024, 01:41 PM
Let's Go Joe!!!!

Woodman
01-28-2024, 01:43 PM
Josh Allen wanted it. Josh Allen is getting it.

The Bills have named interim offensive coordinator Joe Brady the permanent offensive coordinator.

Brady arrived as quarterbacks coach in 2022. He was promoted to offensive coordinator after Ken Dorsey was fired, the day after an ugly Monday night loss to the Broncos.

Brady’s gain could be Stefon Diggs’s loss. The No. 1 receiver’s role in the offense subsided after Brady took over. The question becomes whether Brady will reconfigure the offense to better suit Diggs — after the question of whether Diggs will still be on the team is resolved.

Bills keep Joe Brady as offensive coordinator - NBC Sports (https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/bills-keep-joe-brady-as-offensive-coordinator)

OpIv37
01-28-2024, 02:51 PM

There were many things that cost us the victory. The O was running the ball well early. Reid made halftime adjustments and they started shutting down the run. Brady never responded.

Typ0
01-28-2024, 04:01 PM

That is like saying you expected the defense to win us the football game. Like there has to be some understanding that weight does not exist on the defenses shoulders when they are so beat up and the offense is pretty healthy.

So I don't buy it the defense lost us the game. They got KC to punt in the 2nd half. What do you want from them?

The offense was right there and could have done a lot to win us the football game but didn't.

TigerJ
01-28-2024, 04:53 PM
There were many things that cost us the victory. The O was running the ball well early. Reid made halftime adjustments and they started shutting down the run. Brady never responded.Agreed. Including, but probably not limited to, drops of some key passes, depleted defense, the ineffectiveness of the running game in the second half and inadequate adjustments from Brady.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-28-2024, 08:49 PM
I don't understand. Football games you have offense and defense. Some people seem to keen on needing offense only. Did you watch the Chiefs and Ravens?

We have talent problem on defense - injury depleted talent on D but it was down hill to begin with due to aging and expected slow recovery time like Von's.

We have scheme and execution problem on offense. You can't expect all pro at every position, but we do expect some sound execution. From QB to WR1, WR2 on down, everybody had issues game to game.

Look at the Superbowl bound Chiefs. I personally think Mahomes had a down year. Their offense had execution problems as problem. But never a scheme issue. Then their defense, young and talented. Regardless 49ers or Lions, they will be heavy favorite to win teh superbowl. And it will be attributed to their top rated D + Mahomes doing just enough on offense.

When the Chiefs started their dynasty, with all those offensive talent - HoF talent - was taking NFL by storm by scoring into 40s 50s all the time. Now looking all the all the quality QBs in AFC, it seems like whoever can stop the other offense some will come on top and the Chiefs again is leading the trend.

btw, looking at McDuffie & Snead play CBs for the Chiefs, I have to think that, as we know the Bills really wanted him in the draft but the Chiefs, after trading away Hill, had the ammo to move up to nab him, forcing the Bills to settle on Elam. Just imagine if the Bills had McDuffie the last 2 years on our D and if the Chiefs had to sit Elam on the bench ...

notacon
01-29-2024, 01:21 PM
I don't understand. Football games you have offense and defense. Some people seem to keen on needing offense only. Did you watch the Chiefs and Ravens?

We have talent problem on defense - injury depleted talent on D but it was down hill to begin with due to aging and expected slow recovery time like Von's.

We have scheme and execution problem on offense. You can't expect all pro at every position, but we do expect some sound execution. From QB to WR1, WR2 on down, everybody had issues game to game.

Look at the Superbowl bound Chiefs. I personally think Mahomes had a down year. Their offense had execution problems as problem. But never a scheme issue. Then their defense, young and talented. Regardless 49ers or Lions, they will be heavy favorite to win teh superbowl. And it will be attributed to their top rated D + Mahomes doing just enough on offense.

When the Chiefs started their dynasty, with all those offensive talent - HoF talent - was taking NFL by storm by scoring into 40s 50s all the time. Now looking all the all the quality QBs in AFC, it seems like whoever can stop the other offense some will come on top and the Chiefs again is leading the trend.

btw, looking at McDuffie & Snead play CBs for the Chiefs, I have to think that, as we know the Bills really wanted him in the draft but the Chiefs, after trading away Hill, had the ammo to move up to nab him, forcing the Bills to settle on Elam. Just imagine if the Bills had McDuffie the last 2 years on our D and if the Chiefs had to sit Elam on the bench ...

THE overriding reason that the Chiefs are playing in the SB as opposed to the Bills is that Mahomes (and the Chiefs in general) make a LOT less mistakes.

We saw the exact same reality yesterday where Baltimore played like **** making mistake after mistake after mistake. Baltimore has a defense that is STACKED with talent. Hardy any injuries. They made mental error after mental error after mental error. Mind numbing STUPID penalties that had the Chiefs players rightfully (TV catching Kelce doing that exact thing (https://youtube.com/shorts/kn3gzJavpCQ?si=dvPKqISPXylc4-uc)) laughing their asses off.

The Bills lost vs KC because of the stupid decisions by Josh (and partly Joe Brady) after the 2 min warning that ignored the game situation and handing KC TWO stoppage of the clock with dumb, stupid, ill advised passes.

Almost always, in playoff games, Mahomes does NOT make stupid plays. The one year he did (2021 AFCC game vs Cincy in the last pay of the 1st half and his terrible, awful passes in OT, the last was a boneheaded INT that handed Cincy a trip to the SB) they lose.

The Bills, despite being ravaged with injuries to their LB and CB for the KC game, were STILL in a PRIME POSITION to win that game, with a brilliant drive with 8:23 left in the game, eating up 6:23 set up perfectly at the KC 26 yard line, at the 2:00 min warning, 2nd and 9....KC down to two time outs.

Then EVERYTHING THEY DID GREAT the previous 6+ minutes was thrown out the window.

KC must have been laughing under their breath, unable to believe how STUPID Josh Allen (and maybe Joe Brady...it STILL comes down to Josh making that dumb decision to go into the end zone instead of the easy lay-up pass underneath to Diggs to get the 1st down or really close to eat....forcing KC to take their 2nd time out) was.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-29-2024, 02:31 PM
I don't expect the Bills Defense to be like the Ravens. But allowing 5 consecutive scoring drives in playoff games is really ... bad, shall we say? Unacceptable. What if we stop one of those drives? then the last 2 min is no longer an issue. We can simply milk the clock and kick a field goal.

The Ravens D did their job in general. Mahomes really didn't do too much after the first 2 scoring drives. But Jackson is a flawed QB. If you make him to beat you with his arm, no matter how people say he's improved, he's going to fail on a game basis. I've seen the Steelers beat him that way time and time again, even without a top level QB like Mahomes.

I think you guys are putting too much pressure on Allen. You are asking him to make perfect decision all game long. The great Brady was rarely putting into that position, not saying he himself is to the level of seldom making mistakes. In Brady's duel with Peyton, he knew he has BB's defense on his side.