PDA

View Full Version : Bears hire Eric Washington as defensive coordinator

cas22
01-27-2024, 09:25 AM
The Bears have their new defensive coordinator: Eric Washington.
Washington is heading to Chicago to take the vacant defensive coordinator job, according to Tom Pelissero of NFL Network.[/COLOR]
The 54-year-old Washington was previously assistant head coach and defensive line coach of the Bills. He’s been in Buffalo the last four years and before that spent two years as the Panthers’ defensive coordinator. His other coaching jobs include three years as an assistant in Chicago from 2008 to 2010.[/COLOR]
The Bears have been without a defensive coordinator since September, when Alan Williams resigned for “personal reasons” that have still not been explained. Bears head coach Matt Eberflus handled most of the coordinator duties himself for the rest of last season but will now turn the defensive calls over to Washington.

[/COLOR]
By Michael David Smith

Published January 27, 2024 10:20 AM

<bsp-mpxplayer class="MpxVideoPlayer-player" data-content-id="0000018d-36c3-d8ae-affd-3fc7895a0000" data-muted="" style="background-repeat: no-repeat; box-sizing: border-box; color: var(--color-primary-text); display: block; height: 0px; margin: 0px auto; padding-bottom: 413.475px; position: relative;">

0 seconds of 10 minutes, 45 secondsVolume

</bsp-mpxplayer>

[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]

OpIv37
01-27-2024, 09:27 AM
It’s the price of success. Coaches get picked off left and right.

cas22
01-27-2024, 10:16 AM
we should get a 3rd round pick I think, might be wrong...

Woodman
01-27-2024, 10:24 AM
Yes, as per a codicil added to the Rooney Rule in 2020, teams that “lose a minority executive or coach to another team, that team would receive a third-round compensatory pick for two years. If a team lost both a coach and personnel member, it would receive a third-round compensatory pick for three years.”

Typ0
01-27-2024, 10:52 AM
2 third round picks?

What is going on with Frazier? I thought he was on a one-year sabbatical.

Ed
01-27-2024, 11:14 AM
2 third round picks?

What is going on with Frazier? I thought he was on a one-year sabbatical.

Beane said during his year end press conference that Frazier's contract expired after this season. Doesn't sound like there are any plans for him to return.

sahlensguy
01-27-2024, 11:21 AM
Losing the ass't HC puts more on McD's plate. Who gets promoted, or do they find a DC?

YardRat
01-27-2024, 11:59 AM
Maybe Babich gets the DC, and nobody is assistant head coach.

notacon
01-27-2024, 01:00 PM
we should get a 3rd round pick I think, might be wrong...

That only applies to minority coaches being hired as a head coach or GM. Not DC.

Here is the pertinent clause in Resolution JC-2A (https://overthecap.com/2020-resolution-jc-2a)...

"The employer-club of a minority employee who has been hired by another club as its Head Coach or Primary Football Executive (General Manager) shall receive Draft choice compensation in the form of a compensatory Draft pick in the third round in each of the next two Drafts for an employee hired as either a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive...."

Mace
01-27-2024, 04:19 PM
Maybe Babich gets the DC, and nobody is assistant head coach.

I'm not comfortable without a Babich on hand.

Typ0
01-27-2024, 04:30 PM
Beane said during his year end press conference that Frazier's contract expired after this season. Doesn't sound like there are any plans for him to return.

So that is it with Frazier huh? At the end of the day it was always about parting ways due to irreconcilable differences. His "year off" was just "I'm under contract somewhere I really don't want to work".

Interesting....

Mad Max
01-27-2024, 06:16 PM
It’s the price of success. Coaches get picked off left and right.

What’s this success you speak of? You do nothing but complain about the team’s failures (even ones that haven’t happened yet)

Turf
01-27-2024, 06:22 PM
So that is it with Frazier huh? At the end of the day it was always about parting ways due to irreconcilable differences. His "year off" was just "I'm under contract somewhere I really don't want to work".

Interesting....

He was setting himself up for a head coach job. Hasn't panned out yet.

Woodman
01-27-2024, 07:29 PM
He was setting himself up for a head coach job. Hasn't panned out yet.

Likely never will JMO.

Woodman
01-27-2024, 07:30 PM
Doesn't sound like there are any plans for him to return.
Never say never of course unless you really want to. :cheers:

Woodman
01-27-2024, 07:32 PM
Losing the ass't HC puts more on McD's plate. Who gets promoted, or do they find a DC?

We could always get Joe Dirt.

Typ0
01-27-2024, 07:35 PM
I want the big job but I don't really want to work doesn't usually go over very well.

DetoxTent
01-28-2024, 05:17 AM
The Bills have to get OC and DC clarified. Free agents are going to make decisions on coming to Buffalo, or not, based on some semblence of organization and plan being in place. They know Buffalo is close, but want to see that Buffalo has a plan to get over the top. The one thing the Bills do have that is always attractive to free agents is Josh Allen, but you need coordinators in place.

Historian
01-28-2024, 06:36 AM
Yea, this one is going to hurt, but I'm happy for him.

YardRat
01-28-2024, 07:18 AM
Yea, this one is going to hurt, but I'm happy for him.

Is it, though? The d-line consistently disappears in the playoffs, even against the second-stringers the Bengals pushed out on the field last year.

Woodman
01-29-2024, 03:48 PM
Buffalo Bills (https://www.buffalorumblings.com/) assistant special teams coach Cory Harkey has interviewed with the Carolina Panthers (https://www.catscratchreader.com/) for their open special teams coordinator position, per a source reported through Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.
The 33-year-old former NFL tight end entered the league as an undrafted free agent in 2012, signing with the St. Louis Rams — where he remain for the duration of his career, which came to an end on the eve of the 2017 NFL season following a triceps injury.

Bills’ assistant ST coach Cory Harkey interviews with Panthers for special teams coordinator - Buffalo Rumblings (https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2024/1/29/24054878/bills-assistant-st-coach-cory-harkey-interviews-with-panthers-for-special-teams-coordinator-nfl-news)