PDA

View Full Version : $41,000,000 under the cap?

Mad Max
01-30-2024, 11:21 AM
Greg does a great hypothetical here in this video of how that can happen in terms of most likely to least likely moves. It’s long but you can skip to 13:00 then skip through.

I agree with most although would prefer not restructuring Diggs, I would cut Morse (Bates, draft pick), cut Harty (Hamler), cut Hines (Ty Johnson).

My cuts would recoup the amount not saved by not restructuring Diggs.

Then next year we can offload Miller and Diggs and have some serious maneuverability along with the additional TV Money.

Not so gloomy after all eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1QfAXlP-Ps

Canadian'eh!
01-30-2024, 11:46 AM
Greg does a great hypothetical here in this video of how that can happen in terms of most likely to least likely moves. It’s long but you can skip to 13:00 then skip through.

I agree with most although would prefer not restructuring Diggs, I would cut Morse (Bates, draft pick), cut Harty (Hamler), cut Hines (Ty Johnson).

Then next year we can offload Miller and Diggs and have some serious maneuverability along with the additional TV Money.

I played around with the numbers on Sportrac and Underthecap.

There’s some absolute obvious ones like restructure Josh, cut Hines, Harty etc.

The “easy” way to get under is to restructure Diggs and Von. But I do not believe they would want to push Vons dead cap any further. I also doubt they do a simple restructure on Diggs.

White will have to decide to a renegotiation with a big cut, or take his chances as a FA coming off his second massive leg injury and only having played 21 games in 3 years. As much as I love him, unless he’s willing to take a VERY big pay cut, I’d take the out. Too much risk.
Knox is another one that’s tough. He has been severely underperforming for his salary. Kincaid is clearly the #1. He might be asked to take a pay cut. However, he has little incentive to agree. His dead cap would be high if cut. The out on his deal is after next year.

Without restructuring Diggs and Von it could get a bit difficult.

Mad Max
01-30-2024, 12:07 PM
I played around with the numbers on Sportrac and Underthecap.

There’s some absolute obvious ones like restructure Josh, cut Hines, Harty etc.

The “easy” way to get under is to restructure Diggs and Von. But I do not believe they would want to push Vons dead cap any further. I also doubt they do a simple restructure on Diggs.

White will have to decide to a renegotiation with a big cut, or take his chances as a FA coming off his second massive leg injury and only having played 21 games in 3 years. As much as I love him, unless he’s willing to take a VERY big pay cut, I’d take the out. Too much risk.
Knox is another one that’s tough. He has been severely underperforming for his salary. Kincaid is clearly the #1. He might be asked to take a pay cut. However, he has little incentive to agree. His dead cap would be high if cut. The out on his deal is after next year.

Without restructuring Diggs and Von it could get a bit difficult.

Many of us are down on Diggs right now, but it’s probably unfair. He probably had one or more significant injuries. Although I prefer not I wouldn’t be appalled with a restructure. Miller however…he’s a non-starter for me, ride him out. Anything he gives us until that point is a bonus.

I’d cut Tre in a heartbeat after June 1. Problem is they’d still owe him $10m. I highly doubt they’ll pay him that much not to play. Knox has to be a goner next year I agree.

TheConsigliere
01-30-2024, 12:11 PM

I agree however Bates never has been and never will be a starting NFL OL.

Need to draft a Centre within the first two rounds next year.

Mad Max
01-30-2024, 12:20 PM

I thought he played very well at LG when he was in there. Maybe I imagined it.

You’re right though we are overdue in drafting a guy to be the heir apparent. I advocated in another thread a trade down to secure an extra second. If that can happen or at worst we get a third back that’d potentially enable us to net a starting WR, Safety and C.

Canadian'eh!
01-30-2024, 04:43 PM
Many of us are down on Diggs right now, but it’s probably unfair. He probably had one or more significant injuries. Although I prefer not I wouldn’t be appalled with a restructure. Miller however…he’s a non-starter for me, ride him out. Anything he gives us until that point is a bonus.

I’d cut Tre in a heartbeat after June 1. Problem is they’d still owe him $10m. I highly doubt they’ll pay him that much not to play. Knox has to be a goner next year I agree.

Disagree on Diggs. If he is hurt, he wouldn’t be going to the pro bowl as a replacement. The team said he’s not injured all season, and if that wetr Untrue, there’s no way he goes to some stupid pro bowl games.

it wasn’t injury.

Canadian'eh!
01-30-2024, 05:07 PM

There are 3 excellent C prospects that are Projected as late 2 to 3rd rounders. Would be great to get one. Morse does a good job but he’s underpowered for top DTs.

If Powers-Johnson is available in round 2, I’d run to the podium. Zero sacks, zero QB hits and only 1 QB pressure starting at C last year. He was equally good at Guard before that.

I like Van Pran more than Frazier after that.

if they miss in the top 3, Nugent stepped up after transferring to Michigan and had his best season. He might be available in Round 5/6 and worth looking at.

Mad Max
01-30-2024, 05:24 PM
Disagree on Diggs. If he is hurt, he wouldn’t be going to the pro bowl as a replacement. The team said he’s not injured all season, and if that wetr Untrue, there’s no way he goes to some stupid pro bowl games.

it wasn’t injury.

If so do you think the sand just ran out on his career hourglass or do you think he quit?

Mad Max
01-30-2024, 05:30 PM
There are 3 excellent C prospects that are Projected as late 2 to 3rd rounders. Would be great to get one. Morse does a good job but he’s underpowered for top DTs.

If Powers-Johnson is available in round 2, I’d run to the podium. Zero sacks, zero QB hits and only 1 QB pressure starting at C last year. He was equally good at Guard before that.

I like Van Pran more than Frazier after that.

if they miss in the top 3, Nugent stepped up after transferring to Michigan and had his best season. He might be available in Round 5/6 and worth looking at.
Looks like your guys Powers-Johnson is killing it in Senior Bowl practice (game on Saturday).
He’s getting heavy pub.

He’s certainly got a prototype build at 6’3” 330…he also said “I’m a finisher”…SOLD hahahahah

Typ0
01-30-2024, 05:40 PM
Numbers and cap room don't mean ****. How well your squad ends up stacking up against the competition means everything ... and they all have the same cap constraints.

YardRat
01-30-2024, 06:08 PM
I don't like the idea of cutting Morse this year, and I don't see a path without re-doing both Diggs and Miller.

Canadian'eh!
01-30-2024, 06:25 PM
If so do you think the sand just ran out on his career hourglass or do you think he quit?
I have no answer to that. But it seems to be the only options. Honestly, the amount he was pulling hi self off the field was alarming. Only the Bills know what’s up.

Typ0
01-30-2024, 06:51 PM
I think Knox gets traded.

Canadian'eh!
01-30-2024, 06:58 PM
Looks like your guys Powers-Johnson is killing it in Senior Bowl practice (game on Saturday).
He’s getting heavy pub.

He’s certainly got a prototype build at 6’3” 330…he also said “I’m a finisher”…SOLD hahahahah

He’s a beast but likely is pushing himself up to the top half of round 2 and out of our reach.

Canadian'eh!
01-30-2024, 07:03 PM
I don't like the idea of cutting Morse this year, and I don't see a path without re-doing both Diggs and Miller.
You certainly don’t have to do both. In fact I’d bet good money that Von doesn’t get a simple restructure. The only hope might be increasing the guaranteed money and spreading it over 2 years. Lowering his cap # but essentially end up stuck until 2025.

I doubt they want to tie their boat to him for more than another year they’re already stuck with.

YardRat
01-30-2024, 07:31 PM
You certainly don’t have to do both. In fact I’d bet good money that Von doesn’t get a simple restructure. The only hope might be increasing the guaranteed money and spreading it over 2 years. Lowering his cap # but essentially end up stuck until 2025.

I doubt they want to tie their boat to him for more than another year they’re already stuck with.

I doubt they want to do much with Miller and Diggs also, but I've been playing with the spotrac thing too, and they can't get under the cap not re-structuring both. Unless Morse and Tre' are definitely cut and only Diggs re-structures. Or with several more cuts for a mil here, a mil there, along with quite a few other re-structures (Knox, Milano, Oliver, McGovern).
And that's just to get compliant, not extra cash to fill in any holes.

Ginger Vitis
01-30-2024, 07:39 PM
I doubt they want to do much with Miller and Diggs also, but I've been playing with the spotrac thing too, and they can't get under the cap not re-structuring both. Unless Morse and Tre' are definitely cut and only Diggs re-structures. Or with several more cuts for a mil here, a mil there, along with quite a few other re-structures (Knox, Milano, Oliver, McGovern).

You're not taking into consideration the bills can extend Dawkins..Johnson and Douglas... that would free up $15 million to $17 million

YardRat
01-30-2024, 07:54 PM
You're not taking into consideration the bills can extend Dawkins..Johnson and Douglas... that would free up $15 million to $17 million

spotrac doesn't let you re-structure Johnson and Dawkins, but those certainly are possibilities.

Canadian'eh!
01-30-2024, 07:55 PM

Try using the tools at under the cap. There’s ways. Need to get creative but it can be done.

but restructures on Diggs and Von as of now, with this past season is VERY short sighted. We might have to take a hit this year that is difficult, but if we restructure them we will be doing the same thing for multiple years

Canadian'eh!
01-30-2024, 07:56 PM
I think Knox gets traded.

But would anyone make that trade given his performance and propensity to be injured?

YardRat
01-30-2024, 07:58 PM
Try using the tools at under the cap. There’s ways. Need to get creative but it can be done.

but restructures on Diggs and Von as of now, with this past season is VERY short sighted. We might have to take a hit this year that is difficult, but if we restructure them we will be doing the same thing for multiple years

I am using the tools.

Woodman
01-30-2024, 09:22 PM

it wasn’t injury.

It's a non contact flag football game.

Canadian'eh!
01-30-2024, 09:57 PM
It's a non contact flag football game.

And if he was injured, he wouldn’t be going.

cas22
01-30-2024, 10:19 PM
i wouldn't restructure Diggs or Von at this stage of the game, there are many ways to get where we need to be cap wise, KC used draft picks and still are in the SB we can do it to, we don't have to have hall of fame WRs with the right scheme, KC has proven that.