PDA

View Full Version : Babich new DC from RapSheet

ghz in pittsburgh
01-30-2024, 12:02 PM
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1752390017119375777?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Maybe the pressure too much from other teams.

Woodman
01-30-2024, 12:11 PM

Woodman
01-30-2024, 12:14 PM
Babich is a young, up-and-coming coach who’s spent the previous seven seasons with the Bills — serving in 2017 as assistant defensive backs coach before a promotion to safeties coach in 2018, where he worked until his current role as linebackers coach in 2022. The roots of Babich’s NFL coaching career began with the Carolina Panthers (https://www.catscratchreader.com/), where he served a year each as an administrative assistant to the coaching staff and assistant defensive backs coach. Babich would then head to the Cleveland Browns (https://www.dawgsbynature.com/) as assistant defensive backs/safeties coach from 2013-2015.

sahlensguy
01-30-2024, 12:15 PM
Yes man?

Good for the D, I suppose.

cas22
01-30-2024, 12:17 PM
we all know this is just a title that McD will be calling the Defense ,, the Defense looked the best considering all the injurys under McDs play calling! promoting from with in tells me we are staying the coarse,,

I think they should surround Oliver with young guys with motors and not necessarily 1st and 2nd rnd picks, Bean has missed to much early maybe 4th round and later this time..

DetoxTent
01-30-2024, 12:24 PM
Good

DetoxTent
01-30-2024, 12:25 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10107221-bobby-babich-promoted-to-bills-dc-on-sean-mcdermotts-staff-was-lbs-coach

Woodman
01-30-2024, 12:34 PM
He was highly sought after ..... excellent move Buffalo that's 2 great moves in less than a week.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2lqdErI9uss?si=dNl9Ak1VBIwhf6uY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

We got our OCDC !!!!!

Forward_Lateral
01-30-2024, 12:40 PM
Good for him. Hopefully he can be as good of a DC as he was LB Coach

cas22
01-30-2024, 01:27 PM
Good for him. Hopefully he can be as good of a DC as he was LB Coach

as far as coaching go's I don't think he will be taking over the defense, he is gonna hold the title and get a raise but will be doing what he is doing now, coaching the linebackers, I think he might run defensive practice's so McD can eye over all but scheme and playcalling duties will be McD's.

T&C
01-30-2024, 01:37 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFG9d5FWUAERlVK?format=jpg&name=900x900

ghz in pittsburgh
01-30-2024, 02:01 PM
I don't know how he's like strategy-wise. But player development-wise, result is obvious. Do Hyde and Poyer have their best years under him? When he moved to LB coach, do the LBs had their best years? Edmunds had his best year in Bills uniform. Even the old dog Dodson showed remarkable improvement. Bernard from a big concern to a solid starter. And I know a lot of people are really excited about Williams next year just compare to what he did now vs what he showed earlier in the season.

Don't be surprised next year the Bills play a lot more base defense 4-3-4 instead of the current base of 4-2-5. It is somewhat a trend that you see 49ers, Lions etc. do when they get the base, "bigger", defense out there more than the dime. It helps to combat some the TEs in the league in both run and passing downs. The key, though, is that your 3rd LB is as good as the nickel.

Forward_Lateral
01-30-2024, 02:54 PM
There's a whole lot more to being DC than just calling plays.

notacon
01-30-2024, 03:54 PM
Smart move.

Having HC AND DC duties for McD is not ideal.

Sure seems like McD trusts and has a good working relationship with Babich.

Canadian'eh!
01-30-2024, 05:16 PM
Smart move.

Sure seems like McD trusts and has a good working relationship with Babich.
HC duties alone are too much for McD.

But I am 99% sure he will continue to design the plays and call them.

YardRat
01-30-2024, 05:59 PM
Good for him, he deserves a shot. Dodsen called him the best coach he's ever had.

I didn't know he went all the way back to Carolina with McDermott.

Woodman
01-30-2024, 06:35 PM
I'm excited for his opportunity ..... now just allow him the reigns ..... lets see what he really can do.

We should be drafting plenty of defensive help.

(Safety 1) (Corner 1 or 2) (DL 1) (LB 1 or 2)

Everything else help for Josh (WR 2) (Center 1) (OL 1)

1st S or CB
2nd CB or S
3rd WR

ghz in pittsburgh
01-30-2024, 07:52 PM
I'm excited for his opportunity ..... now just allow him the reigns ..... lets see what he really can do.

We should be drafting plenty of defensive help.

(Safety 1) (Corner 1 or 2) (DL 1) (LB 1 or 2)

Everything else help for Josh (WR 2) (Center 1) (OL 1)

1st S or CB
2nd CB or S
3rd WR
I'm almost willing to bet more than 1 DL.

We know the philosophy of D Line rotating is not changing - and it is a good strategy. After the league year ends, we have Oliver, Rousseau , Von under the contract. That's it. You need a minimum of 8. Of course they have to get some from FA market. How much money they will spend there? Do you trust the production of 5 under $2 million FA DT/DEs to rotate with the 3 we have?

jamze132
01-30-2024, 09:59 PM
Players love Babich. Good enough for me!

Historian
01-31-2024, 04:31 AM
Smart move.

I agree....it's just too much for one man, especially in this day and age.

Bill Cody
01-31-2024, 10:30 AM
This means Babich will run the meetings, but I still expect Mc to call the plays on D

ghz in pittsburgh
01-31-2024, 12:05 PM
Logical guess is that McD will call plays to start Babich's DC tenure, but eventually handing over the duty. This may not fly with someone who has been DC before, but it may resonate with the Babich as a first time DC, who may see it as an opportunity to learn the details of designing plays against different opponents each week, along with calling plays.

Woodman
01-31-2024, 03:00 PM
The Bills made Bobby Babich’s promotion from linebackers coach to defensive coordinator official on Tuesday. But as noted by Alaina Getzenberg of ESPN, Buffalo is still determining whether or not it’ll be McDermott or Babich calling the defensive plays in 2024.

Last week, General Manager Brandon Beane noted that the team is comfortable with whatever McDermott wants to do.

“If [McDermott] feels he needs to put someone else to call the plays, we would do that (https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39422582/bills-promote-lb-coach-bobby-babich-defensive-coordinator),” Beane said, via Getzengberg. “If he is like, ‘Man, yes, I can do this. I want to do it again,’ then we would go that because ... there was nothing that left me saying he couldn’t wear both hats.”

The Bills finished the 2023 regular season No. 4 in points allowed and No. 9 in yards allowed.

Bills still determining if Sean McDermott will continue to call defensive plays in 2024 - NBC Sports (https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/bills-still-determining-if-sean-mcdermott-will-continue-to-call-defensive-plays-in-2024)

TigerJ
01-31-2024, 10:52 PM
I don't think Babich will just be a figurehead as a defensive coordinator. He may have had the option of going to Atlanta, but chose to stay in Buffalo. I don't think he would have stayed just to be a figurehead. The scheme will stay the same. That much is certain, but I think McDermott will welcome any wrinkles Babich may want to add, and it would not surprise me if Babich calls the defensive plays on game day. I do think that Babich is likely to think a lot more like McDermott than the hyper-conservative Leslie Frasier.

ghz in pittsburgh
02-01-2024, 08:42 AM
Maybe McDermott is not as some individual reporter said, an insecure dictator where everyone under him wants to bolt for the door as soon as they get the chance.

On the other side, Babich may feel that the Bills are more likely to be successful than the other teams he interviewed, which means it is the shortest path for him to get HC interviews. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that the Bills D will go thru a quite significant revamp this off-season. The general expectation is that the Bills will continue to win despite the D side revamp. If in a year or two the D is starting to make critical stops consistently and maybe pushing the overall success beyond where they have been, Babich will be looked upon from outside very differently. Some will say any D success credit will go to McDermott. True to some extent; but like BB in NE where his D coordinators were sought after to be HCs, people will think Babich's contribution and also may have got McDermott's touch and ready to go on his own.

Ed
02-01-2024, 01:21 PM
I don't think Babich will just be a figurehead as a defensive coordinator. He may have had the option of going to Atlanta, but chose to stay in Buffalo. I don't think he would have stayed just to be a figurehead. The scheme will stay the same. That much is certain, but I think McDermott will welcome any wrinkles Babich may want to add, and it would not surprise me if Babich calls the defensive plays on game day. I do think that Babich is likely to think a lot more like McDermott than the hyper-conservative Leslie Frasier.
I agree. There's been a lot of interest in Babich and I don't think he stays in Buffalo unless it's a true DC role. There was some talk of Babich potentially taking the role last year after Frazier left. Makes me think that maybe McD wanted to groom him for another year, which is why he didn't bring in an outside candidate. I don't think McD wants to be the play caller, but maybe felt it was necessary for one season as a transition.

Woodman
02-01-2024, 02:03 PM

I also agree with your take on it.

Excellent well thought out post!

Typ0
02-01-2024, 06:13 PM
It sounds to me like this man is a very good coach which McDermott recognized and moved to keep the talent. Credit to McDermott for that I hope he let's Babich work.

Woodman
02-04-2024, 02:33 PM
There's been a lot of interest in Babich and I don't think he stays in Buffalo unless it's a true DC role.

:rockon: Agreed