So the Bills D may go thru a bigger change than we all think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

So the Bills D may go thru a bigger change than we all think?

Those Cover 1 guys do know the Bills coaching staff well, even the connections.
    New DB coach Addae, according to the clinics he has given in the past etc., teaches man coverage technique opposite of Butler's. Also he came from colleges where man coverage is played at a much higher percentage than the Bills. It does jives with what we saw from McDermott's defense this past season - he wants to be more aggressive, which may mean we are going to see more man coverage than ever in McDermott's era. That could also change the D players we'll be looking for in the draft.
    Interesting that they see 1T DT with quickness is the every top need of the Bills, ahead of WR.

• jamze132
    Don’t hate…
    • Jun 2003

Re: So the Bills D may go thru a bigger change than we all think?

I’d love to have a couple of shut-down CBs. It’d open up so many more options for blitzes.

Comment

• TheConsigliere
      • Aug 2022

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
      Those Cover 1 guys do know the Bills coaching staff well, even the connections.
      New DB coach Addae, according to the clinics he has given in the past etc., teaches man coverage technique opposite of Butler's. Also he came from colleges where man coverage is played at a much higher percentage than the Bills. It does jives with what we saw from McDermott's defense this past season - he wants to be more aggressive, which may mean we are going to see more man coverage than ever in McDermott's era. That could also change the D players we'll be looking for in the draft.
      Interesting that they see 1T DT with quickness is the every top need of the Bills, ahead of WR.

An elite 1DT is exactly what this D needs but the Draft Value Nazis won’t like it.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by TheConsigliere View Post
        An elite 1DT is exactly what this D needs but the Draft Value Nazis won’t like it.
        Interesting though, the cover 1 guys do not think Sweat is the one fit the Bills. I can't disagree after watch Linval Joseph against Mahomes in the playoff game.

If they are going to spend a 1st round pick on a 1T DT, they want someone who can rush the passer. With the size of ours LBs, the right kind of DTs is very important to us.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
          • Mar 2004

I think injuries really hand cuffed McDermott from doing what he wanted to do vs the Chiefs. I think the roster is slowly turning over (on that side of the ball) to what he really wants, which is corners that can play man. They got Douglas at the deadline, drafted Elam and Benford. Those guys can play man.

It's going to be an interesting off season.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by TheConsigliere View Post
            The problem is, those guys don't exactly grow on trees. There's maybe a dozen of them in the NFL, if that?

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
              I think injuries really hand cuffed McDermott from doing what he wanted to do vs the Chiefs. I think the roster is slowly turning over (on that side of the ball) to what he really wants, which is corners that can play man. They got Douglas at the deadline, drafted Elam and Benford. Those guys can play man.

It's going to be an interesting off season.
              If I recall correctly McDermott has been a near exclusive zone guy since his time in Carolina. Not saying a switch isnt coming, but it would be a rather massive shift in how McDermott has demonstrated he prefers to play cover.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                If I recall correctly McDermott has been a near exclusive zone guy since his time in Carolina. Not saying a switch isnt coming, but it would be a rather massive shift in how McDermott has demonstrated he prefers to play cover.
                All signs are pointing to it.

Comment

• Mace
                  Haha...yeah you think so ?
                  • Mar 2013

More likely they want the flexibility to have better man coverage options to mix in, instead of wholesale change imho. That's my hope anyway, it would be a big step toward making the defense more concerning for opponents. I thought that's why they drafted Elam, but they did it rare and uncomfortable until falling back into pattern.

You'll see good defenses threaten man with credibility then drop into zone, or flash a credible zone look that turns into man.

Never been a fan of passive defense, would be another step toward dynamic aggressive which I'd appreciate.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                    More likely they want the flexibility to have better man coverage options to mix in, instead of wholesale change imho. That's my hope anyway, it would be a big step toward making the defense more concerning for opponents. I thought that's why they drafted Elam, but they did it rare and uncomfortable until falling back into pattern.

You'll see good defenses threaten man with credibility then drop into zone, or flash a credible zone look that turns into man.

Never been a fan of passive defense, would be another step toward dynamic aggressive which I'd appreciate.
                    I’d be all for better versatility and aggression in the D. It’s just usually if you’re going man you’re either loading up on pass rush to get after the QB or you have great LB’s who can cover. Milano is decent to good in coverage but I’m not sure he’s enough for a man scheme against top end TE’s or slot guys. Bernard is a better athlete but not near Milano’s coverage skills.
                    COMING SOON...

Comment

• Mace
                      Haha...yeah you think so ?
                      • Mar 2013

I’d be all for better versatility and aggression in the D. It’s just usually if you’re going man you’re either loading up on pass rush to get after the QB or you have great LB’s who can cover. Milano is decent to good in coverage but I’m not sure he’s enough for a man scheme against top end TE’s or slot guys. Bernard is a better athlete but not near Milano’s coverage skills.
                      Oh.....absolutely agree. I don't know what the team looks like in 6 months though, how healthy anyone is, or what the newer staff can do with who they have then or what they intend. I'm simply saying I'm hoping for more dynamic possibilities as they shape their intent, instead of counting on wholesale change to the basics.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                        • Mar 2004

If you actually watched the video, the team that played the most man was like 30% of the time. Bills were 15%. This doesn’t mean they’ll switch to a base man defence. It may mean they will play more man on third down/critical situations so they can blitz more.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                          • Aug 2004

If you actually watched the video, the team that played the most man was like 30% of the time. Bills were 15%.
                          And Bills man coverage effectiveness is ranked near bottom.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

If you actually watched the video, the team that played the most man was like 30% of the time. Bills were 15%. This doesn’t mean they’ll switch to a base man defence. It may mean they will play more man on third down/critical situations so they can blitz more.
                            I don’t watch the Cover 1 stuff. Liked their earlier stuff more than what they’ve moved into. Think they do good work, just more stylistic and delivery preference.
                            COMING SOON...

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                              • Aug 2004

In terms of scheme, scouting, the Cover 1 guys are good, unlike the other "general public consumption" reporters we have, as well as the Athletics guys who are amateur guessers and maybe good at snap counts etc. Erik Turner played college ball and had the aspiration of a collegial football coach before giving up. He did all kinds of video breakdowns while in college, which actually led him to his police video work in post collegial coaching dream. They go full press on all the combine, scouting, senior ball etc., and starting from last year, getting current Bill players to go on their show, not just fringe players like McKenzie. I know the Bills don't give them press access because it is difficult to limit certain online streamers from others, but maybe another factor is these guys may actually ask players questions that borderline scheme secrets and there is not much mainstream media control like the Buffalo News and TV stations in terms what to go public and what not to for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X