Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Allen - the last 2 mins in the Chiefs game, no thoughts of milking the clock

Asked point blank by Florio, Josh said pretty much "you call the best play to score." As far as giving Mahomes almost 2 minutes, he said something like one of our defensive players to make a play.

I'd say that's wrong as a QB. You are to score points, the goal for every drive. But the next level up, think like Peyton Manning, he has some growing to do. Of course the HC and OC in that situation comes into the picture as well.

• OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Allen - the last 2 mins in the Chiefs game, no thoughts of milking the clock

That's insane. Obviously they needed to score but you can't put the ball back in Mahomes' hands.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• notacon
      • Aug 2012

Re: Allen - the last 2 mins in the Chiefs game, no thoughts of milking the clock

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
      Asked point blank by Florio, Josh said pretty much "you call the best play to score." As far as giving Mahomes almost 2 minutes, he said something like one of our defensive players to make a play.

I'd say that's wrong as a QB. You are to score points, the goal for every drive. But the next level up, think like Peyton Manning, he has some growing to do. Of course the HC and OC in that situation comes into the picture as well.

Thanks for posting this ghz. I have not been paying much attention to the Super Bowl week hoopla.

I did not get the "no thoughts of milking the clock" was being emphasized or really was a thing.

I'm not sure how many here have done TV/Video/Radio interviews. I have. Many times. You never ever spill every thought that pops into your head, and hesitate to divulge "family" secrets.

Of COURSE he's going to say ""you call the best play to score.". Josh is going to have to live with the decisions HE made in those two critical plays. It's just a matter of when he is going to LEARN to play smart, respecting game situation. Next level QB'ing.

But, the discussion about the end of the KC game is not the biggest take away I got from this interview. That can all be summed up with "We've been extremely close the past couple (few) years....comes down to one or two plays throughout the game and we have to find a way to make those and it starts with me...."

The most important takeaway I get from the interview is the discussion about Sean McDermott (and Rasul Douglas' comment) and how much he is a great leader on that team and his leadership turned the season around and got the Bills, not only in the playoffs, but winning another AFCE title and the #2 seed (while Miami wilted and choked) . Plus how the Ty Dunne hit piece helped motivate the team.

Josh make all the whining here about "fire McD", look as stupid and clueless as they are.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
        • Aug 2004

Well, I have actually thought about the last 2 min of the Chiefs playoff game, talking with my buddies over the last few weeks. It is more then clear cut as I was at the time, listening to Romo's live thoughts.

First, as a QB, you brought up playing football with the mindset of scoring TDs. Defense, is someone else's job. That's what I meant "another level up" as in Peyton Manning who even the great Belichick admitted that he's like a coach on the field. Having the overall perspective all the time. In general though, scoring as many as you, as often as you can aligns with what you want to do.

Next, in the red zone, it is not easy to score TD, especially against a top D like the Chiefs. There maybe one play they slip up and you got to seize the opportunity. That's most likely Josh is looking for.

The next point is actually very important in that scenario: What the defense, in tis case, the Chiefs D were trying to do. Put it in another way, if the Chiefs and the Bills switch positions in that scenario, what do you want McDermott to call? A lot of you may say blitz the heck out Mahomes, either nock them out of field goal range or give up a score right away so we have time for the offense to score again.

The Chiefs didn't do that. They were giving up the short area and generally guarding the 1st down line as well as protecting the end zone. And that's where a Peyton Manning/Tom Brady would recognize right away and go that direction to dump to Diggs underneath immediately. For Josh, he might have come to the same conclusion except he stayed longer on the original intent (as usual) and see Shakir breaking free. That led to what happened.

Decision making is the key here. In that situation, it is do-or-die, so the best decision is get to Diggs right away and hope he can make to the 1st down. The 2nd one is once he saw Shakir getting the chance to be open, move up the pocket like he said in the post game to position himself for the best throw, not to rush it.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
          • Mar 2004

I wanna see the foot long cookie ffs

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

He’s right.
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
              He’s right.
              The Chiefs had time outs anyways. They had the right play called, the Chiefs just did a better job executing on that play than the Bills did.

Wouldn't it be nice for the Bills to be able to wreck an opponents game with a defensive player?

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                The Chiefs had time outs anyways. They had the right play called, the Chiefs just did a better job executing on that play than the Bills did.

Wouldn't it be nice for the Bills to be able to wreck an opponents game with a defensive player?
                At this point I’d take consistency in execution if I’m being honest. Game wrecker is not even in the thought process.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Novacane
                  • Jul 2002

He's never going to beat Mahomes if he truly believes that BS.

Comment

• Mace
                    Haha...yeah you think so ?
                    • Mar 2013

You can't assume Allen is controlling his coaching staff at that point, he's reacting to what they're directing.

If he goes rogue, everyone gripes about hero ball, or he played timid.

I just don't see this as an Allen issue.

Comment

• jamze132
                      Don’t hate…
                      • Jun 2003

Blah blah about the Bills last drive. We wouldn’t be in that situation with a healthier defense because Kelsey wouldn’t have been able to run free. If any other LB besides Klein is guarding him, the game might have been different. Have to give credit to KC for exploiting our GLARING weakness.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Regardless of 'milking the clock', the smart play was dumping off to a wide open Diggs on the crosser not throwing to a double-covered Shakir that hadn't gotten open yet. Ball inside the ten, and Josh's running ability becomes a much bigger factor. Odds of scoring and winning both go up exponentially.

Champions play the long game.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Woodman
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                          Regardless of 'milking the clock', the smart play was dumping off to a wide open Diggs on the crosser not throwing to a double-covered Shakir that hadn't gotten open yet. Ball inside the ten, and Josh's running ability becomes a much bigger factor. Odds of scoring and winning both go up exponentially.

Champions play the long game.
                          The entire situation was playing out exactly as we had hoped.

Just had to stick with it for 2 more minutes.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Typ0
                            honey pie
                            • Jul 2002

It's all McDermoots fault.

Comment

• Lexwhat
                              • Feb 2005

Josh is 100% right. Shocking that anyone thinks it should be played any other way.

When you are down by more than 2 points and a simple FG won't win it, there is no perfect way to milk the clock to the end. We needed a TD. Allen probably could have made some better decisions, but he played a nearly perfect game otherwise.

Just like the 2022 AFC playoff game against the Chiefs - the Defense and McDermott (and Special teams) let this team down. They did absolutely nothing to help this team win.

Comment

Working...
                              X