PDA

View Full Version : Predict WR Peerless Price's next contract

clumping platelets
09-20-2002, 09:06 AM
I will predict that Peerless leaves the Bills and signs a 5yr-$19 million with a signing bonus of $4.0 million and a second tier bonus of $2 million

Teams he could end up with:

Jacksonville, Houston, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Washington, or maybe some chance Buffalo

casdhf
09-20-2002, 09:08 AM
I think he'll end up in Tennessee :up:

THATHURMANATOR
09-20-2002, 09:30 AM
Lets worry about this next year!

TacklingDummy
09-20-2002, 10:14 AM
Price is history after this season. Why do you think Donahoe shocked everybody and picked a WR (Reed) in round 2 this year.

losman2evans
09-20-2002, 10:37 AM
4 years 14 million and a 2 million signing bonus

lordofgun
09-20-2002, 10:42 AM
Am I the ONLY one who thinks he'll retire???

clumping platelets
09-20-2002, 10:44 AM
He will find the vision spewed by lord..ofgun

The_Philster
09-20-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by TacklingDummy
Price is history after this season. Why do you think Donahoe shocked everybody and picked a WR (Reed) in round 2 this year.

I hate to say it, but that's exactly what I was thinking...Reed was drafted to take over for the departed Peerless Price next season. Let's just use Peerless as much as possible while we still got him. :D

BledsoeRocks
09-20-2002, 07:53 PM
Man, is this getting way ahead of things or what. The guy may tear an ACL and get nothing next year.

Kelly The Dog
09-20-2002, 09:43 PM
God, I hate to say this, but for the (likely) five of the six best years of his NFL career, Peerless Price may be worth us paying that contract (conceding that we may drop the last year and save a couple mil). With Bledsoe and Moulds locked up and Josh Reed locked up for at least another two-three years, that may be money well spent.

Billsouth
09-20-2002, 09:49 PM
it is my understandig that newman and winfield's contracts are up at the end of this year. while i believe peerless is a good receiver i would consider re-signing newman and winfield a sucessful offseason even if it meant that we couldnt re-sign price.

i dont think price wants to come back anyways. based on interviews earlier this year, i think he wants to be a #1 receiver and will move on at the end of the year. not for nothing but wr has not been a difficult position to improve on in free agency the past few years.

Kelly The Dog
09-20-2002, 09:59 PM
Not that I think Peerless's production is going to keep at this outrageous pace that he is setting, but if he is going to be paid well next year, and has better stats than the number one receiver (which he even did last year) and is seeing his name at the top of the league leaders and getting a lot of looks and balls his way and getting in the endzone and getting on national shows like Rome, the need to be a number one receiver on a team is suddenly way, way down on the priority list.

BillC
09-20-2002, 10:11 PM
I say sign 3 more kickers

No one has tried a spread offense with 5 wides... all kickers ... have they? Huh? Huh?

clumping platelets
09-20-2002, 11:43 PM
Winfield's deal is up after the 2003 season.

Ed
09-21-2002, 03:02 PM
I hope we keep Price and with all the extra money we're going to have next year I don't see it as a problem. Like Donahoe said, if a player wants to stay and the Bills want them to stay, working out a contract shouldn't be a problem. Donahoe also said he has no problem paying good players and if Peerless has a probowl season, he's got a right to ask for the bigger bucks.

I know we already have Moulds and he's making big money, but if you got a great young player that you developed you can't just let them walk as soon as they hit their prime.

From what I've read recently, I think it's pretty clear that Peerless wants to stay. I don't think he needs to be the #1 guy, he just wants the same kind of respect and opportunity. I think the biggest thing the Bills have going for them right now as far as making it difficult for Peerless to leave is Drew Bledsoe and Kevin Gilbride. I read in an article today that the most important thing to Peerless is being in a good offensive system and having a good QB who can get you the ball. Gilbride has made Peerless an important part of the offense and Bledsoe treats and speaks of him as another #1 to go along with Eric. There's no question Peerless has a tremendous amount of respect for both men and from that stand point I don't think there's a more desirable situation then the one he has here in Buffalo.

We've worked hard to finally put together what could be a great offense, something we haven't had in a long time. So it would be a shame to let a young talented player go from that.

I think Peerless wants to win though, and is going to realize that if he has to play with guys like Quincy Carter or Shane Matthews that's not going to happen, and he's not going to have the same type of career.

I feel pretty confident that the Bills and Peerless Price will be able to work out a deal that is fair to both sides.

WCoastFin
09-21-2002, 03:12 PM
Gets cut

WG
09-21-2002, 03:28 PM
Nice post Ed!

I agree w/ Bledsoe Rocks and Finn to a degree.

Again, all this hoopla. Price is on pace for 265 x 8 = 2,120 yards and 16 TDs.

Call me silly, but I'll be surprised if much more than half of that, or 1,060 yards and 8 TDs becomes a reality. I'm still at a loss at the amount of credibility being given a team that's beaten two measley Ds.

I see Price starting to be covered a little more closely. Drew taking more heat as we enter into the thick part of our schedule vs. the tougher Ds. I also realize that almost half of Price's perforamance last week was in OT. So unless we go to OT each week, which obviously isn't likely, I think that the Drew's average passing yards is less than 300 per game. Again, that's what it is now, about 286 in regulation. That won't go up significantly as we play the better Ds.

WRs, good ones, can be had for around $3M apiece. So no matter what happens, if we pay him more than that under any circumstances, it'll be a dumb move. We've already almost gotten burned once by signing Moulds to HUGE dollars that he hasn't earned yet! There's no sense in doing that again.

Price won't be made the franchise player. I think they'll allow him to test the market as an UFA. If he plays as well as some of you all think he will, then some other team will sign him. We can grab a better WR for less.

My guess: he finishes out the year at 1,100 yards and 9 TDs. If that happens, in his next 14 games, he'll average about 60 ypg and 1 TD every other game. Reed will begin to figure into the equation more as will the TEs. Gilbride is gonna have to work the TEs in more if we're to win some games here w/o a running game. There's only so many balls to go around.

WG
09-21-2002, 03:31 PM
Honestly, if Price has two or three more great games, I'd try and trade him to a team for a DT. NOW, this year, so that we can finish out the year w/ a winning record!

A team like Philly might be interested if they could work a deal for him. He'd have McNabb and an increased role over there.

Kelly The Dog
09-21-2002, 04:32 PM
wys, so a team is going to trade a good DT player to rent a number 2 receiver for a few games this year? Yeah, right.

WG
09-21-2002, 04:38 PM
Well, according to what I'm hearing now, he's one of the top WRs in the league!

Don't teams want one of the top WRs in the league?? I'd surely say so...

But you're correct, they'd have to establish a contract extension prior to the trade. Either the team receiving him or us. Which is why it won't happen.

You'll see. Price will fade back into mediocrity soon. We'll offer him about $1.5M/yr. He'll balk, check out the market, get a little bit more and leave.

Ed
09-21-2002, 04:56 PM
I don't think anyone expects Price to finish with 2000 yds or for Bledsoe to throw for 5800. This is totally unrealistic, but that doesn't mean they're not going to have great years. Putting up big numbers against what might be mediocre D's shouldn't be discredited because that's what great players and teams do, they beat up on weaker opponents.

I won't be surprised at all if each week a different WR is putting up big numbers while another seems to fade. I think we have three great WR's and it'll be the D's that dictate who we throw to. We all know Eric didn't have the huge numbers last week because he was drawing most of the attention from the D. I think having this kind of depth is invaluable. Having three good WR's is a nightmare for opposing D's, so I hope Moulds, Price and Reed are all here for the long haul. Plus, injuries are a given in the NFL and anyone of these guys could easily be lost for the season. It'd be nice to know we could continue playing without missing a beat.

JayWood
09-21-2002, 05:25 PM
After this season Bledsoe may beg PP to stay, righty now he his Drew's favorite guy. How even more deadly could we be next season Price, Moulds, Reed...DAMN!!

Ed
09-21-2002, 06:51 PM
That's what I'm saying keep all three. Our air attack would be dominant.

I think it's also important to mention that the FA list for DL next offseason isn't looking too impressive and we don't have a #1 pick.

WG
09-21-2002, 07:41 PM
And the draft is expected to be thin at DTs anyway.

I agree w/ ya on the "depth" issue Ed, but I'm not nearly as confident that w/o a guy like Moulds drawing double-coverage that Price has the tools to be the #1 WR. I think he doesn't and that he's proven that. Again, this Sunday will begin revealing how good we really are. Maybe we will do what many of you are saying. If so, then what's happened so far is a good indicator.

As to your statement,

"Putting up big numbers against what might be mediocre D's shouldn't be discredited because that's what great players and teams do, they beat up on weaker opponents."

I totally disagree. Depending upon how you define "great", great players show up against the tougher opponents. Sure, they may not turn as good a game on average as they do v. lesser opponents. But that doesn't mean they disappear altogether.

This is a tough opponent. If Price does nothing, can't get open, gets outmuscled, etc., then that says something about him. Again, the idea isn't to go 10-6 every year. It's to win the division, the conference, and ultimately the SB. You can't possibly do that w/ players who can only play and only show up regularly for the weaker teams to ensure they have good stats at the end of the year for contract purposes or for personal reasons.

My point on Price and what he's got left, while you agree that he won't have 2K yards, is that if he ends up having say 1,100 yards, that the rest of his year from here on out is destined to be very, very average for a #2 WR. Certainly nothing deserving of anything more than average #2 WR money next year.

Assuming an 1,100 yard year, the more "big games" he has, means the less he does for the remaining games. As I see it, Price's biggest detriment has been his inconsistency. Like I said, I would rather he have 60 yards each and evey week than 4 big games of 150 w/ another 12 games of 0, 1, or 2 catches for an average of 35 yards. We can find WRs like that scattered all over the league.

Also, if he turns into Drew's favorite target permanently, then Moulds is gonna be WAY overpaid! For the money Moulds is getting, he needs to get open enough to give Drew the option of hitting him w/ the ball. IMO if Moulds is open, the Drew will find him. I think that just like we were all over Moss, the Vikes were all over Moulds.

WG
09-21-2002, 07:42 PM
BTW, I think our air attack would be just as dominant w/ Moulds, Reed, and any other of 50 WRs besides Price.

Having said that however, Price has started out this season in quite the grand fashion in fairness to him.

My question is whether or not he'll sustain that.

Kelly The Dog
09-21-2002, 08:35 PM
Another pretty strong statement, wys, that I'm not sure you thought about when you typed it. If our air attack is just as good with Moulds, Reed and any of 50 other receivers that's basically saying Moulds, Reed and any teams #3 OR #4 receiver is just as good as Peerless Price. That's just plain dumb to say. Even on the Bills, Reed is an absolutely terrific receiver IMO but he is a possession guy and you need to spread the field and safeties. Are you really going to say that, even on the Bills, that Moulds/Reed/Charles Johnson is every bit as good as Moulds/Price/Reed? I don't even think you believe you own posts.