X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Cody
    • Sep 2004

Pressure on the draft builds

I get that the cap is highly maneuverable, but the Bills have made a statement that we're going to get younger and cheaper right now. So don't expect too much spending from free agency. That being the case it's up to Beane now to nail the draft.

Be easier to do if the team wasn't so damn good that we're drafting at the end of each round. But it can be done. Just hope Beane doesn't fall in love with guys on his list and start burning picks to move up.

Just let the draft come to him and don't draft a pile of busts is all I ask. Not that I expect that.

What's your hope of what we get out of this draft?
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Re: Pressure on the draft builds

Lotsa defense.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Mad Max
      Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
      • Mar 2003

WR1 Z year 1 and X heir apparent
      OC ready to start year 1
      DT ready to rotate year 1
      1 CB
      1 S
      1 DE
      1 OT
      1 PK (I know this isn’t happening just wishful thinking)

that’s it, the rest of the picks Beanes going to use to move up

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
        • Mar 2004

All the great NFL championship teams built mostly from the draft. You can't just keep buying free agents and expect to be a consistent winning team.

This draft is probably the most important draft of Beane's tenure

Comment

• notacon
          • Aug 2012

The draft is the best way to stay competitive when an elite QB on post-rookie contract is on the team and not going anywhere for years.

Sure looks like that has been Beane's plan for quite some time as he built up the number of 2024 pick to 11 (once the expected 3rd round compensatory pick is awarded).

Even with Beane channeling his inner Michael Corleone with "The Purge" my priorities for the draft have not changed that much...I'll swap T and C/G moving C/G up to #5 and moving T back to #7.

1. WR
          2. DT
          3. S
          4. EDGE
          5. C/G
          6. CB
          7. T
          8. RB

Comment

• Woodman
            Legendary Zoner
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
            All the great NFL championship teams built mostly from the draft. You can't just keep buying free agents and expect to be a consistent winning team.

This draft is probably the most important draft of Beane's tenure
            Damn straight!!!

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Woodman
              Legendary Zoner
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by notacon View Post
              The draft is the best way to stay competitive when an elite QB on post-rookie contract is on the team and not going anywhere for years.

Sure looks like that has been Beane's plan for quite some time as he built up the number of 2024 pick to 11 (once the expected 3rd round compensatory pick is awarded).

Even with Beane channeling his inner Michael Corleone with "The Purge" my priorities for the draft have not changed that much...I'll swap T and C/G moving C/G up to #5 and moving T back to #7.

1. WR
              2. DT
              3. S
              4. EDGE
              5. C/G
              6. CB
              7. T
              8. RB
              not bad young man!

Comment

• Woodman
                Legendary Zoner
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                I get that the cap is highly maneuverable, but the Bills have made a statement that we're going to get younger and cheaper right now.
                And it's about time!

Comment

• Woodman
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
                  WR1 Z year 1 and X heir apparent
                  OC ready to start year 1
                  DT ready to rotate year 1
                  1 CB
                  1 S
                  1 DE
                  1 OT
                  1 PK (I know this isn’t happening just wishful thinking)

that’s it, the rest of the picks Beanes going to use to move up
                  Center was a high priority for me as well ..... now it's just a smidge lower with ..... Connor McGovern sliding in and Edwards taking the LG spot ..... I'd still draft one but a bit later if possible.

Comment

• Turf
                    • Jul 2002

I pretty much can guarantee that Beane moves up and get the WR he wants in the first round. He's got so much draft equity. 10 rookies are not going to help this team this year.
                    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Turf View Post
                      I pretty much can guarantee that Beane moves up and get the WR he wants in the first round. He's got so much draft equity. 10 rookies are not going to help this team this year.
                      I could actually see 10 guys making the team but the odds are they'll be some swings and misses, just the way it goes. And the draft is NEVER all about one year.

My view is avoid trading up whenever possible unless it's for a QB or you have an emergency need. If you have a surplus of picks trade for the following year's picks.

Comment

• Woodman
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                        My view is avoid trading up whenever possible unless it's for a QB or you have an emergency need. If you have a surplus of picks trade for the following year's picks.
                        Agree with this approach myself.

Comment

• Woodman
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Turf View Post
                          I'd be shocked if he doesn't move up once ..... and move down maybe a few times a bit later.

Building capital should always be part of the plan.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
                            I'd be shocked if he doesn't move up once .....
                            Or more....Wood you need to bring Beane his coffee on draft day, slip in the red pill

Comment

• Turf
                              • Jul 2002

Moving down would be dumb when you have 10 picks. There's no way more than 2-3 rookies will be in the starting lineup. If there is we won't have aa winning season. And you know how McD doesn't like using rookies right away.
                              Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

Working...
                              X