PDA

View Full Version : Report: Some frostbitten fans might need amputations

Woodman
03-07-2024, 03:00 PM
According to Fox 4 in Kansas City, some fans who suffered frostbite at the January playoff game between the Dolphins and Chiefs might need amputations (https://fox4kc.com/news/70-of-chiefs-fans-who-suffered-frostbite-at-bitter-cold-playoff-game-need-amputations/).

Dr. Megan Garcia, the Grossman Burn Center Medical Director, said that 70 percent of the patients who suffered frostbite during the period of extreme cold in the Kansas City area are being advised to schedule amputations. The majority of the patients with frostbite developed the condition at the Dolphins-Chiefs game.

Said Dr. Garcia in January, “In just this cold spell we’ve been having I’ve seen multiple patients that will likely require amputation five to six weeks from now. I imagine it’ll be somewhere between 10 and 20 at this point (https://fox4kc.com/news/kc-area-hospitals-seeing-record-number-of-patients-for-weather-related-injuries/).”

As the game approached, the NFL told that there is no temperature that it regards as too cold for the playing of a game (https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/nfl-has-no-minimum-temperature-for-outdoor-game). The league might want to reconsider that approach.

Report- Some frostbitten fans from Dolphins-Chief game might need amputations - NBC Sports (https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-some-frostbitten-fans-from-dolphins-chief-came-might-need-amputations)

Bill Cody
03-07-2024, 03:04 PM
Too bad no one knew before the game it was going to be really cold....

Forward_Lateral
03-07-2024, 03:11 PM
Well, this isn't going to end well.

Soon there will be "too cold" temps and the games will be moved indoors

Bill Cody
03-07-2024, 03:14 PM

They already are for me. It's always 70 degrees and no wind where I watch. I used to be anti dome. Now I'm anti everything except perfect weather. Call me a wuss. Don't care.

Forward_Lateral
03-07-2024, 03:16 PM
They already are for me. It's always 70 degrees and no wind where I watch. I used to be anti dome. Now I'm anti everything except perfect weather. Call me a wuss. Don't care.
Agreed. While there's nothing like a Bills tailgate, I'd rather watch the game from my couch for many reasons, weather being near the top.

To your point about the fans knowing how cold it would be, it never ceases to amaze me how stupid alcohol makes people.

Novacane
03-07-2024, 03:17 PM
Some of them will sue the NFL.

sahlensguy
03-07-2024, 03:39 PM

As long as it protects those in extreme heat conditions as well. Like when the Bills or any other visiting team plays in Miami.

Forward_Lateral
03-07-2024, 03:43 PM
As long as it protects those in extreme heat conditions as well. Like when the Bills or any other visiting team plays in Miami.
Well the players aren't the ones with frost bite in this case, it's the moron fans who probably got piss drunk and forgot to put gloves on.

sahlensguy
03-07-2024, 03:46 PM
Well the players aren't the ones with frost bite in this case, it's the moron fans who probably got piss drunk and forgot to put gloves on.

Victim blaiming, idk?

The n f l sold fans tickets. what were the fans supposed to do, stay at home?

Mad Max
03-07-2024, 04:03 PM

The good news is the Bills weren’t dumb enough to build an open air stadium in their arctic winter climate!…or

ParanoidAndroid
03-07-2024, 04:44 PM
Victim blaiming, idk?

Victims? Of what?

Someone forced them to stay outside in the cold and forego basic self care?

It's not like they were lost in the frozen wilderness or stranded in a blizzard.

They were warned and advised to prepare.

No one is a "victim" here.

sahlensguy
03-07-2024, 04:51 PM
Victims? Of what?

Someone forced them to stay outside in the cold and forego basic self care?

It's not like they were lost in the frozen wilderness or stranded in a blizzard.

They were warned and advised to prepare.

No one is a "victim" here.

We're refunds offered? If not there were victims. The fans who paid good money to go see the product that they were sold.

sahlensguy
03-07-2024, 05:07 PM
The league chose to play the game in those conditions. It's not like they haven't moved games before due to weather, as any Bills fan can attest. I hope they lose billions.

ParanoidAndroid
03-07-2024, 06:53 PM
How many fans were at that game?

ParanoidAndroid
03-07-2024, 06:59 PM
This is so ridiculous. If you do not know to go get yourself into the warmth that is feet away instead of subjecting yourself to frostbite because you paid money, you really need to get your priorities straight.

DraftBoy
03-07-2024, 07:18 PM

Agreed about the temperature extremes being imposed. I just wonder how low they will set it.

DraftBoy
03-07-2024, 07:18 PM

Same.

sahlensguy
03-07-2024, 07:22 PM
This is so ridiculous. If you do not know to go get yourself into the warmth that is feet away instead of subjecting yourself to frostbite because you paid money, you really need to get your priorities straight.

Really? Every fan is weather wise? If a company sells tickets to their events, they need to take reasonable and basic precautions for your safety. Expecting paying customers to know how to take care of themselves in extreme conditions at your event is not a reasonable expectation.

Oaf
03-07-2024, 08:45 PM
This is really sad actually.

sahlensguy
03-07-2024, 08:53 PM
This is really sad actually.

Yeah, it could be somebody's kid.

But because it was a playoff game and not a regular season game, the NFL got greedy and decided to put patrons in harm's way. And their army of lawyers will probably absolve them of any guilt.

- - - Updated - - -

Too bad no one knew before the game it was going to be really cold....

Boo

NFL shill

Typ0
03-07-2024, 08:59 PM
Really? Every fan is weather wise? If a company sells tickets to their events, they need to take reasonable and basic precautions for your safety. Expecting paying customers to know how to take care of themselves in extreme conditions at your event is not a reasonable expectation.

Going outside without proper frostbite protection and thinking you won't get frostbite is not a reasonable expectation either. The contract includes a game outside and the weather is always a god event. This is a tough case.

sahlensguy
03-07-2024, 09:04 PM
Going outside without proper frostbite protection and thinking you won't get frostbite is not a reasonable expectation either. The contract includes a game outside and the weather is always a god event. This is a tough case.

An act of God revent efers to an unanticipated natural event such as a lightning strike or tornado etc.

these conditions were anticipated for all week. And the NFL decided to play through it.

sahlensguy
03-07-2024, 09:18 PM
An act of God revent efers to an unanticipated natural event such as a lightning strike or tornado etc.

these conditions were anticipated for all week. And the NFL decided to play through it.

Even the threat of those events cause game delays

Typ0
03-07-2024, 09:20 PM

God related events are things that can't be predicted and/or manipulated. The manipulation piece is important. It is like a bucket you can put things in that can't be controlled.

And they will argue things like wind directions and temperatures were highly correlated godly events there was no ability to predict and while a large portion of the population suffered no affliction when the mixture of these godly events was correct people got frostbite.

sahlensguy
03-07-2024, 09:29 PM
God related events are things that can't be predicted and/or manipulated. The manipulation piece is important. It is like a bucket you can put things in that can't be controlled.

And they will argue things like wind directions and temperatures were highly correlated godly events there was no ability to predict and while a large portion of the population suffered no affliction when the mixture of these godly events was correct people got frostbite.

Well I'm sure their pack of lawyers will argue semantics, probably successfully but weather forecasters certainly predicted dangerous and extreme game time conditions for days prior.

cookie G
03-07-2024, 11:50 PM
The temps were predicted...days in advance.

The Chiefs had gloves available for children. It was announced a day before the game. My first thought was...who in the world would take a kid out in weather like that without gloves?

As far as that night goes...it was brutally cold. I live about 80 miles from Arrowhead so I had the same weather. About an hour before gametime, I had to run and pick someone up, my car wouldn't start so my neighbor took me.

On the way home, I had him stop at the gas station so he could top off his tank. I had my gloves off to run my card through..about a minute or two.

My fingers were already hurting...not cold, but actually hurting.

When I got back in, I looked at my neighbor and said, "I wouldn't be going to the game tonight, even if the Bills were there"

I not surprised that out of 80k people there, that a few dozen ended up with frostbite. Im kinda surprise it wasn't more.

Historian
03-08-2024, 04:57 AM
Well I'm sure their pack of lawyers will argue semantics, probably successfully but weather forecasters certainly predicted dangerous and extreme game time conditions for days prior.
They may have a case.

The star player's helmet cracked on impact in the cold, remember?

I've been to a lot of cold games, like that Raider playoff, but I've never seen that before.

"Did you freeze your ass off at the fish playoff? You may be entitled to compensation...."

Forward_Lateral
03-08-2024, 06:25 AM
Victim blaiming, idk?

Victim blaming? lol

Shaddap

Forward_Lateral
03-08-2024, 06:32 AM
Nobody held a gun to these fans' heads and told them they have to go sit in arctic conditions. If children are involved, those parents should be charged with negligence.

I find it funny that not a single player or coach got frostbite, and they were out there in the same conditions, for the same amount of time, wearing far less clothing.

Typ0
03-08-2024, 07:43 AM
Nobody held a gun to these fans' heads and told them they have to go sit in arctic conditions. If children are involved, those parents should be charged with negligence.

I find it funny that not a single player or coach got frostbite, and they were out there in the same conditions, for the same amount of time, wearing far less clothing.

I agree. This is a child protective issue not a sue the NFL issue.

sahlensguy
03-08-2024, 07:45 AM
Victim blaming? lol

Shaddap

You're just a keyboard warrior.

Pity you weren't at the game...

sahlensguy
03-08-2024, 08:39 AM
"Did you freeze your ass off at the fish playoff? You may be entitled to compensation...."

If the league was negligent, I'm not sure why anyone would be apposed to this

POTLAND PSILBYLO
03-08-2024, 10:05 AM
Aren’t some frozen fingers children?

ParanoidAndroid
03-08-2024, 10:17 AM
There were warnings posted at all the entrances. There were a dozen or more warming stations set up both outside and inside the stadium.

Is there precedent?

Has there been cases of frostbite at NFL games before this? Was the NFL or a home team successfully sued for negligence?

So "if" is a better place to start.

If you had, say, even 5% of the fans end up with frostbite, or about 3000 people, then you might have a case.

This was 0.0003%
Of course, these are severe cases that may require amputations (I'm guessing toes and finger tips for the most part...ears are another). How many mild cases were there with some blistering on exposed skin?

As a progressive liberal, "You can't do x because someone might get hurt" is one of my least favorite aspects of liberal ideology.

Bill Cody
03-08-2024, 10:33 AM

Ok but to get frostbite the people have to have worn like moccasins to a game they knew was going to be sub zero. You can't fix stupid.

sahlensguy
03-08-2024, 10:38 AM
There were warnings posted at all the entrances. There were a dozen or more warming stations set up both outside and inside the stadium.

Is there precedent?

Has there been cases of frostbite at NFL games before this? Was the NFL or a home team successfully sued for negligence?

So "if" is a better place to start.

If you had, say, even 5% of the fans end up with frostbite, or about 3000 people, then you might have a case.

This was 0.0003%
Of course, these are severe cases that may require amputations (I'm guessing toes and finger tips for the most part...ears are another). How many mild cases were there with some blistering on exposed skin?

As a progressive liberal, "You can't do x because someone might get hurt" is one of my least favorite aspects of liberal ideology.

Warning signs don't make it warmer.

Players were provided heated benches. Patrons were not.

Did the warming station locations provide adequate views of the game?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok but to get frostbite the people have to have worn like moccasins to a game they knew was going to be sub zero. You can't fix stupid.

And if the victims weren't in flip flops, and actually wore socks and boots?

sahlensguy
03-08-2024, 10:46 AM

The teams were provided heated benches, the patrons were not, but you're so smart. Plus they are in a heated locker room for the maximum amount of time.

Bill Cody
03-08-2024, 10:53 AM
And if the victims weren't in flip flops, and actually wore socks and boots?

Maybe you have a beef then but we both know that likely isn't what happened here. This smells very strongly as dumbass.

Bill Cody
03-08-2024, 10:54 AM
Aren’t some frozen fingers children?

At least one

Saratoga Slim
03-08-2024, 10:59 AM
Victim blaiming, idk?

Ummm, yeah. Or resell them. Or dress for it. I spent like $150 on new gear for the Wild Card game against the Steelers. Knew it was gonna be cold, and prepared accordingly.

Everyone went into that stadium knowing it was on them to stay warm. They signed up to stand in -20.

Forward_Lateral
03-08-2024, 11:00 AM
I can't believe this is an argument, lol.

What kind of a-hole blames anyone but themselves for getting frostbite?

sahlensguy
03-08-2024, 11:08 AM
Ummm, yeah. Or resell them. Or dress for it. I spent like $150 on new gear for the Wild Card game against the Steelers. Knew it was gonna be cold, and prepared accordingly.

Everyone went into that stadium knowing it was on them to stay warm. They signed up to stand in -20.

Not everyone grows up in the cold, so they don't all know what it takes to stay safe in it. It's not reasonable to expect everyone to go to a game believing that amputations are possible if they don't dress for what are to some, unimaginable conditions.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't believe this is an argument, lol.

What kind of a-hole blames anyone but themselves for getting frostbite?

Oh, now they're a-holes. Lol

sahlensguy
03-08-2024, 11:09 AM
Maybe you have a beef then but we both know that likely isn't what happened here. This smells very strongly as dumbass.

How about just ignorance?

Bill Cody
03-08-2024, 11:26 AM
How about just ignorance?

ignorance of what? I wasn't going to the game and I live 1000 miles from KC but I knew the forecast was historic cold. It was on national news for a full week. Your mother taught you when you were 5 to bundle up and wear layers in the cold, no? These are the same folks that need a $1m search party on a mountainside because they didn't bring a phone or a compass on a camping trip. I'm sorry they got frostbite. But it was pretty easily avoidable.

sahlensguy
03-08-2024, 11:52 AM
ignorance of what? I wasn't going to the game and I live 1000 miles from KC but I knew the forecast was historic cold. It was on national news for a full week. Your mother taught you when you were 5 to bundle up and wear layers in the cold, no? These are the same folks that need a $1m search party on a mountainside because they didn't bring a phone or a compass on a camping trip. I'm sorry they got frostbite. But it was pretty easily avoidable.

Not everybody knows cold like you do.

"We're the NFL, where attending our games could lead to your amputation. That will be $2,000. Thank you very much"

Bill Cody
03-08-2024, 12:25 PM
Not everybody knows cold like you do.

"We're the NFL, where attending our games could lead to your amputation. That will be $2,000. Thank you very much"

lol

They had a week of relentless TV coverage of the cold, so there's that.

So they made a decision to go. Ok. It's not they had to go. Watch the game at home. Watch it at a bar. 0.00% chance they could not have unladed those tix for a profit if they didn't want to go to Icebowl II. Personally I would have gotten rid of the tix if I had them. But these that went didn't go not knowing it was going to be super cold.

Sorry. Judge Judy verdict is: no award based on section 3 paragraph one of the dumbass clause of the ticket policy that says "if you are a total dumbass you're on your own".

sahlensguy
03-08-2024, 12:45 PM
lol

They had a week of relentless TV coverage of the cold, so there's that.

So they made a decision to go. Ok. It's not they had to go. Watch the game at home. Watch it at a bar. 0.00% chance they could not have unladed those tix for a profit if they didn't want to go to Icebowl II. Personally I would have gotten rid of the tix if I had them. But these that went didn't go not knowing it was going to be super cold.

Sorry. Judge Judy verdict is: no award based on section 3 paragraph one of the dumbass clause of the ticket policy that says "if you are a total dumbass you're on your own".

Watch it in the bar? Not everybody's like you. Geez some posters man, seem intelligent, reasonable, decent, some or most of the time. But not always.

But yeah, keep shilling for the NFL. The billionaires love you for it but will never let you in the club.

Bill Cody
03-08-2024, 01:22 PM
Watch it in the bar? Not everybody's like you. Geez some posters man, seem intelligent, reasonable, decent, some or most of the time. But not always.

But yeah, keep shilling for the NFL. The billionaires love you for it but will never let you in the club.

LOL

How many black toes do you have Sahl?

sahlensguy
03-08-2024, 02:01 PM
LOL

How many black toes do you have Sahl?

All of them

sahlensguy
03-08-2024, 02:16 PM
How many blackened toes do you have?

cas22
03-09-2024, 04:42 PM
Victim blaiming, idk?

why not?? they can watch from there couch like millions, just because you bought a ticket doesn't mean its binding.. I don't see any trying to sue getting anything, no one held a gun to them and said you have to go.