PDA

View Full Version : Ranking 15 best wide receivers in 2024 NFL Draft class

Woodman
03-29-2024, 02:14 PM
NFL Draft wide receiver rankings 2024- 15 best players from historically talented group - SBNation.com (https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2024/3/26/24105963/nfl-draft-wide-receivers-rankings-2024-rankings-scouting-reports-marvin-harrison?_gl=1*180qwn1*)

1. Marvin Harrison Jr., Ohio State

Harrison was our unanimous number one receiver, and for good reason. Harrison is the most NFL-ready WR to come out of college in recent history. He hails from legendary NFL bloodlines, and with that comes immense expectations.

2. Malik Nabers, LSU

Nabers was either two or three on every ballot and earned the most second-place votes. Nabers plays like he has nitro booster on his back, and can shift gears like a finely tuned sports car.

3. Rome Odunze, Washington

While Odunze earned a few second-place votes, he was also as low as six on one ballot. Odunze was dominant at Washington, turning in back-to-back 1000-yard seasons. He does numerous things well and is a playmaker that is capable of being successful on all three levels of the field.

Woodman
03-29-2024, 02:16 PM
4. Brian Thomas Jr., LSUThomas earned the most fourth-place ballots, but that was his top number. Thomas Jr. has a rare combination of size, speed, and explosiveness. The junior from LSU (https://www.andthevalleyshook.com/) put up gaudy numbers in his final season at LSU (1177 yards and 17 touchdowns) but that was his only year with significant production.

5. Adonai Mitchell, TexasMitchell earned one second-place vote but was also ranked outside the top six receivers on a different ballot. Mitchell is one of the most polarizing prospects of this list, he has elite measurables but his production in college was sub par for a first round wide receiver. Sometimes when this happens you have to go back to the “eye test” and watch some game film. For me, Mitchell passes the eye test, this guy can flat out ball. Not only does he have great size (6’2”) and elite speed (4.34-second 40-yard dash), but he also is one of the best route runners in the class. The sky is the limit for Mitchell in the NFL, superstar status pending.

6. Keon Coleman, Florida State

Coleman earned a fourth-place vote and a pair of fives but ultimately settled a little lower than that. Keon Coleman turns into a monster when the ball is in the air, he is the ultimate contested-catch receiver. His ability to win the 50/50 ball is the reason he is rated so high.

7. Xavier Worthy, Texas

Worthy doesn’t need much introduction as he is the new record holder for the 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine where he ran it in 4.21 seconds. Worthy has world-class speed, and it makes him dangerous from anywhere on the field.

8. Troy Franklin, Oregon

Franklin was voted as high as five on one ballot, but everyone else had him seven to nine. He is a long strider who has the potential to take the ball to the house anytime he touches it. His slender build makes him susceptible to physical corners and he doesn’t produce many broken tackles.

sukie
03-29-2024, 03:28 PM
Something about Coleman… I kinda want him

POTLAND PSILBYLO
03-29-2024, 03:47 PM
Something about Coleman… I kinda want him

He's got mustard

Goobylal
03-30-2024, 07:57 AM
Worthy won't make it past the Raiders. Book it. If he's there at 28...

But I want a bigger guy with speed. I'm thinking Legette. He's 6'1" and 221# with 4.39 speed and a 40" vertical. He seems like a guy who needs to work on route-running and that can be taught. My only concern is with his 9" hands.

sukie
03-30-2024, 08:06 AM
It’s he second tier guys that fall too far for their egos… that is where I would like he selection to be from. A chip on the shoulder guy that becomes a star.

notacon
03-30-2024, 01:19 PM
4. Brian Thomas Jr., LSU

Thomas earned the most fourth-place ballots, but that was his top number. Thomas Jr. has a rare combination of size, speed, and explosiveness. The junior from LSU (https://www.andthevalleyshook.com/) put up gaudy numbers in his final season at LSU (1177 yards and 17 touchdowns) but that was his only year with significant production.

5. Adonai Mitchell, Texas

Mitchell earned one second-place vote but was also ranked outside the top six receivers on a different ballot. Mitchell is one of the most polarizing prospects of this list, he has elite measurables but his production in college was sub par for a first round wide receiver. Sometimes when this happens you have to go back to the “eye test” and watch some game film. For me, Mitchell passes the eye test, this guy can flat out ball. Not only does he have great size (6’2”) and elite speed (4.34-second 40-yard dash), but he also is one of the best route runners in the class. The sky is the limit for Mitchell in the NFL, superstar status pending.

6. Keon Coleman, Florida State

Coleman earned a fourth-place vote and a pair of fives but ultimately settled a little lower than that. Keon Coleman turns into a monster when the ball is in the air, he is the ultimate contested-catch receiver. His ability to win the 50/50 ball is the reason he is rated so high.

7. Xavier Worthy, Texas

Worthy doesn’t need much introduction as he is the new record holder for the 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine where he ran it in 4.21 seconds. Worthy has world-class speed, and it makes him dangerous from anywhere on the field.

8. Troy Franklin, Oregon

Franklin was voted as high as five on one ballot, but everyone else had him seven to nine. He is a long strider who has the potential to take the ball to the house anytime he touches it. His slender build makes him susceptible to physical corners and he doesn’t produce many broken tackles.

Of course, we can forget about the top 3 (in the post before this one). No way, no how is Buffalo going to even sniff any of them.

BUT, they absolutely can and (I think ) WILL get one of these prizes.

My hope is that they get into a position to trade up to get Brian Thomas. It's unlikely he'll be these at #28. He is a perfect fit for the Bills.

Other than that, the Bills talent organization (it's NOT just Beane...it's a whole group) has to do their best to pick the most likely to succeed in the Bills offensive scheme that Joe Brady is developing.

sukie
03-30-2024, 03:16 PM
If the guy isn’t there, trade back and then get a WR in the second. Package picks to get back into 3rd.

Woodman
03-30-2024, 03:31 PM
Worthy won't make it past the Raiders. Book it. If he's there at 28...

But I want a bigger guy with speed. I'm thinking Legette. He's 6'1" and 221# with 4.39 speed and a 40" vertical. He seems like a guy who needs to work on route-running and that can be taught. My only concern is with his 9" hands.

The Raiders will sell their souls for a QB they will be trading up.

Goobylal
03-30-2024, 04:05 PM
The Raiders will sell their souls for a QB they will be trading up.

The top 3 QBs will be gone by the 3rd overall pick. After them (and at best I can see 1 of them succeeding) it's a bunch of also-rans.

TheConsigliere
03-30-2024, 10:43 PM
Of course, we can forget about the top 3 (in the post before this one). No way, no how is Buffalo going to even sniff any of them.

BUT, they absolutely can and (I think ) WILL get one of these prizes.

My hope is that they get into a position to trade up to get Brian Thomas. It's unlikely he'll be these at #28. He is a perfect fit for the Bills.

Other than that, the Bills talent organization (it's NOT just Beane...it's a whole group) has to do their best to pick the most likely to succeed in the Bills offensive scheme that Joe Brady is developing.

No concern that Thomas only has one year of good college production?

I appreciate he is a Junior.

Canadian'eh!
03-31-2024, 08:53 AM
I agree with the Top 5 all the way.

Coleman, completely pass. Not a fan.

Worthy is ok, wouldn’t take him over Franklin. Leggette in round 2 would be a steal. That combination of speed and size can’t be taught.

Woodman
04-03-2024, 04:20 PM
NFL Draft wide receiver rankings 2024- 15 best players from historically talented group - SBNation.com (https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2024/3/26/24105963/nfl-draft-wide-receivers-rankings-2024-rankings-scouting-reports-marvin-harrison?_gl=1*180qwn1*)

Harrison was our unanimous number one receiver, and for good reason. Harrison is the most NFL-ready WR to come out of college in recent history. He hails from legendary NFL bloodlines, and with that comes immense expectations.

2. Malik Nabers, LSU

Nabers was either two or three on every ballot and earned the most second-place votes. Nabers plays like he has nitro booster on his back, and can shift gears like a finely tuned sports car.

While Odunze earned a few second-place votes, he was also as low as six on one ballot. Odunze was dominant at Washington, turning in back-to-back 1000-yard seasons. He does numerous things well and is a playmaker that is capable of being successful on all three levels of the field.

Get to know these names! :D :D

kgun12
04-03-2024, 06:48 PM
I really like Ladd McConkey, only 5-10 but runs a 4.39 and is probably the best route runner in the draft. I also like Roman Wilson, also 5-10 and runs 4.39 Maybe McConkey is late 1st or early 2nd, but I don't think he get passed KC.

Woodman
04-03-2024, 07:43 PM
I really like Ladd McConkey, only 5-10 but runs a 4.39 and is probably the best route runner in the draft. I also like Roman Wilson, also 5-10 and runs 4.39 Maybe McConkey is late 1st or early 2nd, but I don't think he get passed KC.

Love McConkey he know's what it takes to be a champion.

Historian
04-04-2024, 08:54 AM
Keep in mind the Bills love to draft guys from LSU.

Woodman
04-04-2024, 09:35 AM
Keep in mind the Bills love to draft guys from LSU.

Add Clemson to the list.

Woodman
04-07-2024, 09:49 AM
Can you win a Super Bowl without a great #1 WR? :scratch: :scratch:

kscdogbillsfan1221
04-07-2024, 09:55 AM
i see mcconkey being a guy. likely available at 28. but maybe that's too high?

Woodman
04-07-2024, 09:57 AM

I'd take him ..... he would be a contributor immediately.

He know's how to win and I love his attitude.

Give me 3 like him.

justasportsfan
04-07-2024, 02:18 PM
I really like Ladd McConkey, only 5-10 but runs a 4.39 and is probably the best route runner in the draft. I also like Roman Wilson, also 5-10 and runs 4.39 Maybe McConkey is late 1st .

Younger and better Cole Beasley. Injury history concernes me but if he falls done ro 4th , I'll take him

justasportsfan
04-07-2024, 02:20 PM

Cole Besely 2.0. His injury history worries me and hes not an over the top guy. I don't think they take him at 28.

cookie G
04-07-2024, 06:35 PM
Kinda suprised Ricky Pearsall of FLorida isn't on the list.

900 yards last year for the Gators.

Athletically, he's there. If you are a RAS, guy, he scored a 9.78.

6'01" 190 lbs.

4.41 forty, which is equal to Troy Franklin.

42" vertical
6.64 cone
4.05 shuttle

known as a very good route runner and great hands. Dropped 6 balls in his career.

Had the best catch in college footall last year (right at the beginning of the vid).

<iframe width="1022" height="575" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qH6Px6HNLcQ" title="Ricky Pearsall 2023 Florida Highlights �� || HD" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

knocks on him are that he might have trouble against press coverage, but then most college WRs do.

He might not do one thing great (except his hands..which are great), but he does many things very well.

He checks a good deal of boxes. I doubt he makes it to 60.

tomz
04-07-2024, 06:37 PM
McConkey AND Tez?

cookie G
04-07-2024, 07:49 PM

6'01" 190 lbs.

42" vertical
6.64 cone
4.05 shuttle

known as a very good route runner and great hands. Dropped 6 balls in his career.

Had the best catch in college footall last year (right at the beginning of the vid).

<iframe width="1022" height="575" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qH6Px6HNLcQ" title="Ricky Pearsall 2023 Florida Highlights �� || HD" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

knocks on him are that he might have trouble against press coverage, but then most college WRs do.

He might not do one thing great (except his hands..which are great), but he does many things very well.

Ingtar33
04-07-2024, 08:17 PM
The top 3 QBs will be gone by the 3rd overall pick. After them (and at best I can see 1 of them succeeding) it's a bunch of also-rans.

i'm not really a fan of any of the QBs in this draft. i think a bunch of teams will regret drafting one this year... though i'll admit i've only looked at the so called top3.

kgun12
04-08-2024, 08:17 AM

I really like him and I see him in mocks going as high as 20, which is a little high. But he’s going to be a good one!

Woodman
04-08-2024, 09:45 AM
i'm not really a fan of any of the QBs in this draft. i think a bunch of teams will regret drafting one this year... though i'll admit i've only looked at the so called top3.
I hope the first 3 take QB's .... if we're lucky and other teams trade up for their QB it could be even better.

Ingtar33
04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
I hope the first 3 take QB's .... if we're lucky and other teams trade up for their QB it could be even better.

I just don't see it with Caleb Williams, he reminds me of Zach Wilson; I didn't see it with him either. He benefits from a lot of junk you can get away with in college, and really loathes throwing the ball into tight coverages; I keep watching film trying to figure out why so many people are so high on him and it just doesn't make sense to me, he has really poor feel for the pocket, and got sacked/hit way too much waiting for a WR get "college open". Never was on board with the Nix, Penix or Maye... this is just an underwhelming QB class.

kgun12
04-08-2024, 11:53 AM
I just don't see it with Caleb Williams, he reminds me of Zach Wilson; I didn't see it with him either. He benefits from a lot of junk you can get away with in college, and really loathes throwing the ball into tight coverages; I keep watching film trying to figure out why so many people are so high on him and it just doesn't make sense to me, he has really poor feel for the pocket, and got sacked/hit way too much waiting for a WR get "college open". Never was on board with the Nix, Penix or Maye... this is just an underwhelming QB class.

I agree with all this and I don’t like his attitude, body language and pouting when things are going well.

notacon
04-08-2024, 01:24 PM
For the record, I pay attention to two analysts rankings and grading. Scouts Inc. (https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft/bestavailable) (ESPN) and Dane Brugler (https://theathletic.com/5270481/2024/02/13/nfl-draft-2024-prospect-rankings-top-100/), The Athletic. The both offer up their Top 100 players irrespective of position and within that the position rank. Scout's Inc. provides a grade.

Both of them have more or less the same players within their top 100. Scou7ts Inc has two (#92 & #96) that Brugler does not.

Although they do not match up perfectly with overall ranked, they DO match 100% in position rank of the top 17 WR's.

<tbody>

Scouts Inc. OVL Rank
Scouts Inc. WR Rank
Scouts Inc. Grade

Dane Brugler OVL Rank
Dane Brugler WR Rank

Marvin Harrison

Malik Nabers

Rome Odunze

Adonai Mitchell

Brian Thomas

Xavier Legette

Ladd McConkey

Xavier Worthy

Keon Coleman

Ricky Pearsall

Troy Frankin

Roman Wilson

Brenden Rice

Jalen McMillian

Malachi Corley

Javon Baker

Devontez Walker

Ja'Lynn Polk

Jermaine Burton

</tbody>
<style>table {mso-displayed-decimal-separator:"\."; mso-displayed-thousand-separator:"\,";}tr {mso-height-source:auto;}col {mso-width-source:auto;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}td {padding-top:1px; padding-right:1px; padding-left:1px; mso-ignore:padding; color:black; font-size:11.0pt; font-weight:400; font-style:normal; text-decoration:none; font-family:Verdana, sans-serif; mso-font-charset:0; mso-number-format:General; text-align:general; vertical-align:bottom; border:none; mso-background-source:auto; mso-pattern:auto; mso-protection:locked visible; white-space:nowrap; mso-rotate:0;}.xl65 {text-align:center;}.xl66 {border:.5pt solid windowtext;}.xl67 {text-align:center; border:.5pt solid windowtext; white-space:normal;}.xl68 {text-align:center; border:.5pt solid windowtext;}</style>

notacon
04-08-2024, 01:44 PM
Last year I kept track of Scout's Inc overall rank and position rank, and the actual draft results. The first six WR chosen they were pretty close on overall rank. What was amazing is that they pegged the order the WR's would go extremely closely.

Almost all of them were right on or off by one position. They had Smith-Njigba and Zay Flowers as first two off the board, which they were.

The next three were slightly off.

3rd off the board was Jordan Addison, Scouts had him going 4th. 4th off the board was Quentin Johnson, Scouts had him going 3rd. 5th off was Jonathan Mingo, Scouts had him going 6th.

I suspect they will be similarly accurate for 2024.

Woodman
04-09-2024, 12:13 PM
I agree with all this and I don’t like his attitude, body language and pouting when things are going well.
Let's hope every team looking for a QB make the mistake of gobbling them up early. :D

Ingtar33
04-10-2024, 12:43 AM
i suspect the reason we traded diggs is because the bills probably have 8-9 WRs all given a high to mid first round grade this year and they just don't see how they'll all be gone by the time we draft.

DraftBoy
04-10-2024, 03:00 AM

6'01" 190 lbs.

42" vertical
6.64 cone
4.05 shuttle

He doesn’t play anywhere near the level of speed or athleticism that he tests at which I would bet is why you’re not seeing him higher. Hands are great, but lots of doubts about if he has the quickness to slip coverage a slot guy in the NFL. He has shown some route manipulation to beat defenses in the SEC, but he’ll need to prove that is truly intentional on the white board and in visits as opposed to an under developed route tree.

DetoxTent
04-10-2024, 05:25 AM
That was one hell of a stickum catch, cookie.

Woodman
04-10-2024, 09:31 AM
i suspect the reason we traded diggs is because the bills probably have 8-9 WRs all given a high to mid first round grade this year and they just don't see how they'll all be gone by the time we draft.

That was definitely considered in their calculation. :cheers:

cookie G
04-13-2024, 11:29 AM
He doesn’t play anywhere near the level of speed or athleticism that he tests at which I would bet is why you’re not seeing him higher. Hands are great, but lots of doubts about if he has the quickness to slip coverage a slot guy in the NFL. He has shown some route manipulation to beat defenses in the SEC, but he’ll need to prove that is truly intentional on the white board and in visits as opposed to an under developed route tree.

Maybe. I've seen a few people say it early on. But idk, I found a YT video last week that had every catch and target for him. The times he looked "slow" or at least not-so -fast, were the times he was moving into a soft area of a zone. That's a completely different type of route. Many of the catches when he did so were late. IF the QB would have gotten him the ball earlier, you would have probably seen more YAC.

I have no idea how he is going deep, since he wasn't used that way very often.

Most people I see had him ranked between 8-10 WR, which in this year is pretty good. I think his stock has risen after the Senior Bowl.

Its why it surprised me that he wasn't in the top 15. But then, its a SB Nation article.

IF all he can do is play short or intermediate routes, we got enough guys in the middle of the field in the 5-15 yard range.

But I really don't know how good he is at the deep ball.

notacon
04-13-2024, 01:54 PM

From what I have read about McConkey, he has the same skill sets as both Shakir and Samuel. Not to say the Bills won't consider him.

Mad Max
04-13-2024, 02:01 PM

All of this years crop of QBs are “also rans”.

I’d be shocked if even one turned out to be great.

Jayden Daniels probably has the highest likelihood of becoming a star the rest are future backups.

Goobylal
04-13-2024, 04:50 PM

Jayden Daniels probably has the highest likelihood of becoming a star the rest are future backups.

I don't disagree with you.

Woodman
04-14-2024, 10:13 AM

Agree on Daniels that's who my nephew wants as the Raiders QB.

I'm hoping teams get this wrong and draft at least 6 maybe 7 QB's in the 1st round .... the more the merrier for damn sure :D

cookie G
04-14-2024, 10:17 AM
Im really liking Steve Smith's persepctive on the WR class.

<iframe width="1022" height="575" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gD4HDAu1t9k" title="Steve Smith Sr&#39;s Big Board | 2024 NFL Draft WR Preview" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I had a date cancelled last night, so I got to watch a few of them. He brings a unique perspective to the eval process.

a Few highlights:

-Loves, loves Polk. "He's a dog".

-Malachi Corley - Not suprisingly, loves him. Calls him the steal of the draft.

-Brendan Rice- gave him a comp of Pachecho, which made me laugh, because I knew exactly what he meant. He is an angry route runner.

-Tez Walker- says he should have stayed in school another year. I imagine its because of his hands.

-AD Mitchell- in this vid, he says he's a "90 percent body catcher". But he did another vid on Mitchell specifically and kinda retracted the comment. Now says, after watching him more, he's a top 5 WR.

-Xavier Leggette- You could tell he really likes him. Gave a comp of a slightly better DK Metcalf. When the Doofus who's with him asked if he meant, "DK Metcalf now or when he was drafted?" He just smiled and repeated it. I got to watch his video of Leggette specifically, he brought up everyone's concern...the 1 year of productivity. He questioned whether it was like a player in the NFL playing for a contract year. Said several times...which Leggette are you getting? But in the end, you could tell he liked him. And said you can't wait until the 2nd round. He broke down one play, a 10-12 yard comeback route. And pointed out how quick he comes to a stop and turns. It was like a step and a half. His eval of Leggette would make me better about taking him in the 1st (I'd still want Mitchell 1st).

He's really a good listen. I recommend it.

Goobylal
04-14-2024, 12:37 PM
Leggette is the guy whose train I've been aboard for awhile now. And I think he'll be there at 28.

Mad Max
04-14-2024, 01:46 PM
Man that dude has always been hard to listen to. Barely coherent and seemingly is doing battle with the words coming out of his mouth.

Saving grace here was he read off of notes…and he did offer up some decent analysis.

Oh and Gooby…the Leggette hype train is going to be full steam by the time the draft arrives.

Goobylal
04-14-2024, 06:26 PM
Man that dude has always been hard to listen to. Barely coherent and seemingly is doing battle with the words coming out of his mouth.

Saving grace here was he read off of notes…and he did offer up some decent analysis.

Oh and Gooby…the Leggette hype train is going to be full steam by the time the draft arrives.

I have no idea what's going to happen with the draft. All I do know is that the first 3 picks will be QBs and by the teams with the original picks...and the Raiders will take Worthy at 13 overall. Beyond that I don't know.

Mad Max
04-14-2024, 07:16 PM
I have no idea what's going to happen with the draft. All I do know is that the first 3 picks will be QBs and by the teams with the original picks...and the Raiders will take Worthy at 13 overall. Beyond that I don't know.

the more of these bum QBs these desperate teams reach for the better

Goobylal
04-14-2024, 08:14 PM
the more of these bum QBs these desperate teams reach for the better

Yeah. I'm hearing the Cheats may be leaning towards JJ McCarthy. I pray they do because a) he's another Mac Jones and b) it pushes another (Maye or Daniels) QB down for a team to want to take high.

Mad Max
04-14-2024, 08:43 PM
Yeah. I'm hearing the Cheats may be leaning towards JJ McCarthy. I pray they do because a) he's another Mac Jones and b) it pushes another (Maye or Daniels) QB down for a team to want to take high.
That would be a lovely outcome. JJ is probably going to be worse than Mac Jones. The more bums they pick up the better.

Goobylal
04-14-2024, 09:09 PM
That would be a lovely outcome. JJ is probably going to be worse than Mac Jones. The more bums they pick up the better.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Jets draft a QB. Rodgers has this season left, at best.

Woodman
04-14-2024, 09:16 PM

The Raiders might take a QB Michael Penix Jr.

They do love speed so you might be spot on.

Penix Jr. they may be able to trade back into round one for :idunno:

Do they have two 1st rounders?

Woodman
04-14-2024, 09:18 PM
It wouldn't surprise me to see the Jets draft a QB. Rodgers has this season left, at best.

Jets will move up to get one of the top 3 WR's is my guess.

Whatever they picked up in free agency isn't gonna be enough.

Woodman
04-14-2024, 09:20 PM
That would be a mistake :pray: :pray:

cookie G
04-16-2024, 12:37 PM

In one of the vids I was watching, he said he'd like to learned Spanish. but then he stopped and said, "but I'm still working on English" and burst out laughing.

IF someone wants Leggette, he's not making it to the bottom of the 2nd. Im sure most GMs remember the DK Metcalf draft. They aren't going to let that happen again. Id prefer Mitchell or Thomas, in a trade up..but if they are both gone, Leggette would be my guy at 28.

Mad Max
04-16-2024, 01:01 PM
In one of the vids I was watching, he said he'd like to learned Spanish. but then he stopped and said, "but I'm still working on English" and burst out laughing.

Hahahah. That is hilarious. Gotta love America where a guy who can’t speak is paid to…speak.

IF someone wants Leggette, he's not making it to the bottom of the 2nd. Im sure most GMs remember the DK Metcalf draft. They aren't going to let that happen again. Id prefer Mitchell or Thomas, in a trade up..but if they are both gone, Leggette would be my guy at 28.

Ya you’re right he won’t be there at 60…Beanie will have to trade up in the second…this is why I’d rather trade down out of the first and GET a pick rather than give one up.

cas22
04-16-2024, 01:42 PM

2. Malik Nabers, LSU

kinda hard to agree with some of these articles when they leave Ricky Persall completely off the list, he clearly is top 10.

Bill Cody
04-16-2024, 01:49 PM

He has 9" hands. Unless they switch to the kids nerf football that's a problem, especially in any weather conditions.

Mad Max
04-16-2024, 03:00 PM
He has 9" hands. Unless they switch to the kids nerf football that's a problem, especially in any weather conditions.
He’s getting artificially hyped just like so many other mediocre QBs that led a NCAA Title Team.

Vince Young, Matt Leinart, TIM TEBOW???, Mac Jones, Stetson Bennet (he wasn’t a first rounder but still over drafted by a ton)

The only good one was War Eagle Newton.

Woodman
04-21-2024, 09:40 PM
**** always happens .... far too many get overhyped.

notacon
04-22-2024, 09:05 AM
kinda hard to agree with some of these articles when they leave Ricky Persall completely off the list, he clearly is top 10.

Maybe....barely. But I doubt it.

The two draft analysts I respect the most, Scouts, Inc. (https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft/bestavailable/_/position/wr) and The Athletics Dane Brugler (https://theathletic.com/5270481/2024/02/13/nfl-draft-2024-prospect-rankings-top-100/) have Pearsall at #10 and #15 respectively.

sahlensguy
04-22-2024, 09:24 AM
Maybe....barely. But I doubt it.
The two draft analysts I respect the most, Scouts, Inc. and The Athletics Dane Brugler have Pearsall at #10 and #15 respectively.

Where do they rank johnny wilson? I hope we get him. Huge target. Deceptive separation. Somewhat raw. Could even see him as a replacement to Knox. Kincaid/Wilson! I'm guessing third round, but we don't have a third round pick.

notacon
04-23-2024, 07:53 AM

Where do they rank johnny wilson? I hope we get him. Huge target. Deceptive separation. Somewhat raw. Could even see him as a replacement to Knox. Kincaid/Wilson! I'm guessing third round, but we don't have a third round pick.

Scout's Inc. has Johnny Wilson at #24, and Dane Brugler does not have him in his Top 100.

Scount's Inc. has him ranked #159 overall with a grade of 59. Here is their write up...

Pre-Draft Analysis

Wilson is built more like a tight end than a receiver. He doesn't separate well for a receiver, and he drops too many passes, but the traits and flashes are impressive. He has excellent size, rare length and good top-end speed. Wilson's frame and catching radius make him a tough one-on-one matchup. He's also a vertical threat and is strong enough to break tackles after the catch. A team could move him to tight end in the hopes he follows a career arc similar to the one taken by Darren Waller. -- Steve Muench

When I have more time (I'm catching a flight home soon) I'll post what Brugler says about him in his "Beast" guide.

Goobylal
04-23-2024, 08:03 AM
Opinions on wide receivers after the top three go all over the place.

Ed
04-23-2024, 08:13 AM

After everything I've read and listened to I'd be excited if the Bills land Xavier Legette, Brian Thomas Jr, Ladd McConkey, or Ricky Pearsal.

Mad Max
04-23-2024, 01:09 PM
McConkey is a wildcard for me.

I feel like his measurables just aren’t good enough to become a number one in the NFL too short, tiny hands, too light…BUT the dude can play, is a great route runner and has heart.

That aligns with Josh’ aww shucks boyscout vibe too perfectly.

I wouldn’t want him in the first but wouldn’t put it past Beanie to get him.

Woodman
04-24-2024, 09:19 AM
After everything I've read and listened to I'd be excited if the Bills land Xavier Legette, Brian Thomas Jr, Ladd McConkey, or Ricky Pearsal.
Ricky Pearsal don't know much about him 2nd rounder?

kgun12
04-24-2024, 09:51 AM

I’d be happy with any of them, I know he’s not the biggest guy, but I wouldn’t mind the kid from Michigan Roman. He runs a 4.39 great hands and reminds me of Wes Welker.

kgun12
04-24-2024, 09:52 AM

I feel like his measurables just aren’t good enough to become a number one in the NFL too short, tiny hands, too light…BUT the dude can play, is a great route runner and has heart.

I know what you’re saying, but the kid just makes plays! He also runs a 4.39 40!

justasportsfan
04-24-2024, 10:04 AM

I like MCConkey but anything less than Diggs is going to be a problem. If teams can keep him in check in the playoffs, they are just going to do the same with a number 1 or 2 who isnt better than Diggs.

An awesome number 1 will also make life easier for Allen that we wouldnt have to put everything on his shoulders. I dont want hero ball making appearances come playoffs.

We need better than Diggs to beat KC in the playoffs as well.

I am also not sold on Brady's system being better than Daboll+Diggs (who couldnt beat KC in the playoffs) just yet.

sukie
04-24-2024, 01:06 PM
Diggs ever do anything against the Chiefs in the playoffs?

improving on nothing should be easy.

Mad Max
04-24-2024, 01:17 PM
I like MCConkey but anything less than Diggs is going to be a problem. If teams can keep him in check in the playoffs, they are just going to do the same with a number 1 or 2 who isnt better than Diggs.

An awesome number 1 will also make life easier for Allen that we wouldnt have to put everything on his shoulders. I dont want hero ball making appearances come playoffs.

We need better than Diggs to beat KC in the playoffs as well.

I am also not sold on Brady's system being better than Daboll+Diggs (who couldnt beat KC in the playoffs) just yet.

Yep. Mcconkey is a high floor lower ceiling kind of player IMO.

I feel like Julian Edelman is his ceiling…that’s terrific if he reaches it.

We however need a Jefferson or Chase not Edelman.

Woodman
04-24-2024, 01:22 PM
We better double or triple down on the WR's this time.

These contracts are completely insane.

sahlensguy
04-24-2024, 01:32 PM
Yep. Mcconkey is a high floor lower ceiling kind of player IMO.

I feel like Julian Edelman is his ceiling…that’s terrific if he reaches it.

We however need a Jefferson or Chase not Edelman.

edelman was drafted in the 7th round and dind't break out until season 5, the first season with over 250 yards in recieving.

I hope our 1st round pick doesn't have an Edelman like trajectory. Allen may be elsewhere by then!

Mad Max
04-24-2024, 01:43 PM
edelman was drafted in the 7th round and dind't break out until season 5, the first season with over 250 yards in recieving.

I hope our 1st round pick doesn't have an Edelman like trajectory. Allen may be elsewhere by then!

Mcconkey won’t take very long to be good in the league unlike Edelman who had to learn how to be a WR after converting from QB. He’ll become Edelman like very soon (if he hits his ceiling) not years down the road.

He just won’t be a number one (IMO) which is why I hope we pass. Now if he somehow drops and we double dip in the second. I’d be all for that scenario.

notacon
04-24-2024, 01:44 PM

As promised here is the full write up for Johnny Wilson from Dane Bruglers "The Beast" guide for 2024.

He ranks him as #22 for WR's and gives him a 4th - 5th round grade.

22. JOHNNY WILSON | Florida State

6' 6 3/8" | 231 lbs. | 4JR

Pacoima, Calif. (Calabasas)

4/3/2001 (age 23.06)

2020 - 3 GP - 1 GS - 6 Rec - 89 Yards - 14.8 AVG - 0 TD - 1 Drop
2021 - 5 GP - 2 GS - 12 Rec - 154 Yards - 12.8 AVG - 1 TD - 3 Drop
2022 - 13 GP - 13 GS - 43 Rec 897 Yards - 20.9 AVG - 5 TD - 6 Drop
2023 - 10 GP - 10 GS - 41 Rec 617 Yards - 15.1 AVG - 2 TD - 5 Drop

Career:

31 GP - 26 GS - 102 Rec - 1,757 Yards - 17.2 AVG - 8 TD - 15 Drop

BACKGROUND: Johnny Wilson, who has a younger brother, grew up in Pacoima. He started playing football at age 8 at the Pop Warner level (North Valley Golden Bears), and the coaches put him at running back and “every position on defense,” because of his size and speed. In seventh grade, he outgrew running back and made the switch to wide receiver. He hit another growth spurt soon after, sprouting up from 6-foot-1 in eighth grade to 6-5 as a high school sophomore. Wilson attended Calabasas High School, where he was teammates with several future FBS players, like CB Darnay Holmes (UCLA) and WR Jermaine Burton (Georgia and Alabama). He broke into the varsity starting lineup midway through his freshman year and announced himself as a playmaker with 58 receptions for 855 yards and 14 touchdowns, while leading Calabasas to a 14-1 record and the CIF Southern Section Division 4 championship. As a sophomore, Wilson totaled 52 catches for 899 yards and 11 touchdowns, as the team won the league title. As a junior, he missed some time because of injury but still finished with 40 catches for 672 yards and 10 touchdowns. As a senior, he was named an Under Armour All-American with 37 receptions for 606 yards and eight touchdowns — he finished his prep career with 43 receiving touchdowns. Former NFL receiver Curtis Conway was his position coach at Calabasas. Wilson was also a standout receiver on 7-on-7 teams in Pylon Elite Camps.

A four-star recruit, Wilson was the No. 21 wide receiver in the 2020 recruiting class and the No. 11 recruit in California (No. 4 re ceiver in the state, just behind Burton). He earned his first offer (UCLA) as a freshman, after Bruins head coach Jim Mora Jr. saw Calabasas in person. Nebraska, USC, Oregon and Fresno State followed with offers. Wilson wound up being one of the most sought-after receiver recruits in the country and received almost 40 offers from national programs, including Florida State, Georgia, Notre Dame and Ohio State. He narrowed down his choice to Oregon, Texas, UCLA and Washington and initially committed to the Ducks in July 2019. However, Wilson flipped to Arizona State and former head coach Herm Edwards before signing day (current Las Vegas Raiders head coach Antonio Pierce was one of his main recruiters). After two seasons with the Sun Devils, he was part of the mass exodus that saw multiple coaches leave the program amid NCAA investigations and 17 players (including quarterback Jayden Daniels) enter the transfer portal. Wilson struggled to get noticed in the portal, until he reached out to Florida State head coach Mike Norvell and was able to secure a scholarship with the Seminoles. He opted out of the 2023 bowl game and declared for the 2024 NFL Draft. Wilson accepted his invitation to the 2024 Senior Bowl.

STRENGTHS: Large target and looks like a basketball forward in pads … owns the arm length to make tough adjustments or pull down throws that defenders can’t reach … long strides help build up his acceleration on runway routes … at his best on one-cut routes (slants, posts, etc.), so he can tempo/stem his pattern to shake off-coverage defenders without having to gear down … not elusive after the catch, but he’s able to break tackles using his big body … accounted for 30 catches of 20-plus yards over the last two seasons (second most in the ACC over that span) … did a nice job moving the sticks (77.4 percent of his grabs at Florida State resulted in a first down or touchdown) … looks to get busy as a blocker when passes go away from him.

WEAKNESSES: Looks imposing, but he’s high-cut and doesn’t consistently play up to his size … average speed player and needs a moment to get back up to full speed after he is slowed by defenders … loose route runner (with flailing arms/limbs) and struggles to separate from corners on his hip … will struggle to escape NFL press …not a natural hands-catcher … inconsistent rescuing throws away from his chest … solid 50-50 receiver in contested situations, but that ratio should be more in his favor considering his size … was allergic to the end zone in 2023 (scored a touchdown in only one of his 10 games) … defenders will push him around, and he struggles to match their physicality … hears footsteps, which disrupts his focus, especially on in-breaking routes … missed most of the 2021 season because of a hamstring injury; missed three games as a redshirt junior because of injury (October 2023) … brings zero special-teams value.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Florida State, Wilson was primarily an outside receiver in head coach Mike Norvell’s up-tempo scheme. A former top recruit, he struggled with injuries at Arizona State before becoming a focal point of the Seminoles’ offense, although he took a backseat to Keon Coleman in 2023. Wilson eats up grass with his long strides and does his best work on one-cut/runway routes, but he isn’t a natural separator and lacks nuance as a route runner. Even though he will occasionally expand his catch radius and dunk over defenders, he fights the ball too much and makes routine grabs tougher than they should be (15 career drops). Overall, Wilson has imposing size and stride length for potential mismatch opportunities, but he doesn’t always play up to hi s frame and currently lacks consistent focus and route precision for what the NFL requires. He reminds me of a lesser version of Devin Funchess (considered a tight end by several teams).

GRADE: 4th-5th Round

notacon
04-24-2024, 01:59 PM

The opinions that I have read all agree on the top 3, Harrison, Nabers and Odunze.

Then a separation between them and Brian Thomas.

And then another (smaller) separation between Thomas and rest of the top 15 or so, with most placing Adonai Mitchell after Thomas.

McConkey has gotten a lot of attention, but he does not seem to fit the Bills very well since his skill set are a duplication of what we already have in Shakir and Samuel.

The big risk would be to move up in the draft to get Nabers or Odunze.

Slight risk (and what I'm favoring) is less of a costly move up to get Thomas....or if not possible (or worth what it costs to move up) either stay put or move down if all of those four are not possible, with (as most mocks have) getting Adonai Mitchell.

I would not be surprised if they don't even go WR in the first round and draft another need if prospects higher on their draft board are there at #28.

This is going to be a very interesting draft for the Bills with the WR position so deep (unlike last year which was pretty weak).

sahlensguy
04-24-2024, 02:25 PM
The opinions that I have read all agree on the top 3, Harrison, Nabers and Odunze.

Then a separation between them and Brian Thomas.

And then another (smaller) separation between Thomas and rest of the top 15 or so, with most placing Adonai Mitchell after Thomas.

McConkey has gotten a lot of attention, but he does not seem to fit the Bills very well since his skill set are a duplication of what we already have in Shakir and Samuel.

The big risk would be to move up in the draft to get Nabers or Odunze.

Slight risk (and what I'm favoring) is less of a costly move up to get Thomas....or if not possible (or worth what it costs to move up) either stay put or move down if all of those four are not possible, with (as most mocks have) getting Adonai Mitchell.

I would not be surprised if they don't even go WR in the first round and draft another need if prospects higher on their draft board are there at #28.

This is going to be a very interesting draft for the Bills with the WR position so deep (unlike last year which was pretty weak).

I'm coming around on AD Mitchell.

His lack of game day strength and game day speed etc was too much to use the 28th pick on. But...he is diabetic. Perhaps a lot that I don't like about him can be explained away maybe because he doesn't manage that well. If managing that better as a pro, would put him in a consistently better place on Sundays, he'd be a steal.

kgun12
04-24-2024, 02:44 PM
I'm coming around on AD Mitchell.

His lack of game day strength and game day speed etc was too much to use the 28th pick on. But...he is diabetic. Perhaps a lot that I don't like about him can be explained away maybe because he doesn't manage that well. If managing that better as a pro, would put him in a consistently better place on Sundays, he'd be a steal.

My son played college football at Albany 1AA and after injury D111 at St. John Fisher. The medical staffs were excellent at both schools. The team surgeon at Fisher was the same surgeon for the Amerks and the Ref Wings. If being a diabetic was the reason for the issues you mentioned and the team medical staff couldn’t manage it I don’t want anything to do with him. Hopefully he under performed because of scheme or whatever, then that’s a different story and he’ll be fine.

sahlensguy
04-24-2024, 02:52 PM
My son played college football at Albany 1AA and after injury D111 at St. John Fisher. The medical staffs were excellent at both schools. The team surgeon at Fisher was the same surgeon for the Amerks and the Ref Wings. If being a diabetic was the reason for the issues you mentioned and the team medical staff couldn’t manage it I don’t want anything to do with him. Hopefully he under performed because of scheme or whatever, then that’s a different story and he’ll be fine.

Diabetes is a disease though, not an injury. Management of that disease is much more self imposed lifestyle, although I am not a diabetic myself. Starting with diet. Mismanagement of that can easily alter the energy of a player's energy. It's a disease that I doubt many college programs deal with regularly and expertly.

Maturity manages diabetes. Not a medical staff.

kgun12
04-24-2024, 03:36 PM
Diabetes is a disease though, not an injury. Management of that disease is much more self imposed lifestyle, although I am not a diabetic myself. Starting with diet. Mismanagement of that can easily alter the energy of a player's energy. It's a disease that I doubt many college programs deal with regularly and expertly.

Maturity manages diabetes. Not a medical staff.

This is just silly! My mom had diabetes so I know a lot about this disease. So did a few of the players on my son’s college teams. They don't play sports at a high level by mismanaging their life styles and/or diets, they would be able to handle the rigors of the sport. The medical staff was always monitoring their blood sugar sometime if there were issues before, during, and after practice or games. They monitored every aspect of these kids activities and diets.
BTW even my mom had to be very diligent with everything or she could function in everyday life, it doesn’t work that way for diabetics.

sahlensguy
04-24-2024, 04:30 PM
This is just silly! My mom had diabetes so I know a lot about this disease. So did a few of the players on my son’s college teams. They don't play sports at a high level by mismanaging their life styles and/or diets, they would be able to handle the rigors of the sport. The medical staff was always monitoring their blood sugar sometime if there were issues before, during, and after practice or games. They monitored every aspect of these kids activities and diets.
BTW even my mom had to be very diligent with everything or she could function in everyday life, it doesn’t work that way for diabetics.

It doesn't sound like team physicians were managing AD's diabetes well.

."We all know what it’s like to have high or low blood sugar for a moment - wait too long to eat and the term “hangry” is used often," he wrote."When our blood sugar is high or low, it can absolutely impair our emotional state and our ability to process information."
Helmkamp continues:
"If these reports about Mitchell not managing his T1D responsibly are correct, then he is setting himself up for failure in the meeting rooms, on the practice field, and in games."

Maybe he's uncoachable.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/college-football/news-texas-wr-adonai-mitchell-gets-tagged-almost-uncoachable-nfl-scouts-amid-reports-diabetic-health-condition