PDA

View Full Version : Bills Defense Reminds Me of the BC Era

Ð
09-20-2002, 10:24 AM
(Before Cornelius)

I remember sitting up in the cheap seats at Rich, watching our D get picked apart with the running game & short, underneath passes.

Does anyone remember the mid to late 80's Bils D ?

bduff54
09-20-2002, 10:45 AM
i agree, our D is brutal.

Cntrygal
09-20-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by BigDoug
(Before Cornelius)

I remember sitting up in the cheap seats at Rich, watching our D get picked apart with the running game & short, underneath passes.

Does anyone remember the mid to late 80's Bils D ?

:wail:

casdhf
09-20-2002, 10:57 AM
I don't think it'll be that bad. We've got some talent, it'll just take some games for them to come together. They won't be great, but should be middle of the road

THATHURMANATOR
09-20-2002, 12:19 PM
The one thing I do like is that they are starting to make some plays. At least if they can get some take aways our offense can be on the field.

mchurchfie
09-20-2002, 12:27 PM
Yes, this is a big play defensive scheme so it is high risk, high reward. I think that they need to learn how to play a little bit of percentage defense also, though I like their aggressive nature.

THATHURMANATOR
09-20-2002, 12:29 PM
Nuthin churchie!!

I agree though!!!

Earthquake Enyart
09-20-2002, 12:45 PM
This is reminicent of the OJ era where we had the high powered offense and Jim Cheyunski at MLB. :eek:

Halbert
09-20-2002, 01:16 PM
As long as they keep generating turnovers we'll be fine.

The_Philster
09-20-2002, 03:10 PM
That's the key...turnovers. They have generally been scaring me the last few weeks but when they create turnovers, it doesn't seem as bad. Our defense in 1993 wasn't super but it got the job done with...you guessed it......turnovers. I think we led the league in takeaway-giveaway ratio.

ublinkwescore
09-20-2002, 03:20 PM
I like Mchurchfie's Avatar - that is supposed to be Ricky Williams right?

LtBillsFan66
09-20-2002, 03:32 PM
At least they are making plays. I think we were dead last in the league last year in takeaways. We have to be up there this year.

SABURZFAN
09-20-2002, 06:53 PM
i think our D will improve as the season progresses.i hope our special teams too.

don137
09-20-2002, 07:18 PM
Minnesota is a tough team to beat. Thanks to special teams 21 points resulted from it if you included the long punt return last week. They came up big in overtime last week also. I do not have the confidence in them like I do the offense but I want to give them a little more credit. The Jets offense came into week 1 on all cylinders flying after preseason and the Jets have not recovered from Buffalo keeping them in check. Unfortunately Buffalo plays a lot of high powered offenses early in the season so statistically they will appear worse then they are for the first 5 weeks.

JayWood
09-21-2002, 06:34 PM
We all agree that out D is not the best, but they do create turnovers, they have been getting to the QB, and they are young with only one way to go and that is up. Iam telling you by midseason they will be even better, and I know we dont want to think about next year right now, but wait till next year, with a little help in the FA field and a little more experience, and growth this group will be a force to recon with

TacklingDummy
09-21-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by bduff54
i agree, our D is brutal.

Atleast we have a defensive "genuis" for a head coach.:boozer:

casdhf
09-21-2002, 07:01 PM
The system is looking pretty good, we just don't have the talent to use it

Rebecky
09-21-2002, 07:01 PM
LOL -- you watch for your spots, doncha, TD?

You're right -- if HC is a defensive genius, why does our D stink up the field? This Denver game is a big one for me in cementing or changing my opinion of GW -- TD, Gilbride and Bledsoe have the offense moving, now it's time to see what GW can do defensively. Come Monday, I plan to be either happily eating crow, or depressed because my feelings about GW have been confirmed.

TacklingDummy
09-21-2002, 07:12 PM
GW was brought into Buffalo because he gave a great interview and because he was a defensive "genuis" in Tenn. where he was the D-Cord.

FacT: GW would make a great used car salesman.
Fact: Our Defense is horrible. With all the talent we have on Defense there are no excuses on why they are so bad.

casdhf
09-21-2002, 07:19 PM
:rolleyes:

colin
09-22-2002, 08:52 AM
Our D has made some strong plays this year. Sacks and turnovers are great. Once we start getting our hands on the ball and getting picks, we will be going great. We are weak against the run, but we don't have the giant DT we need.

Greesy will put up some ducks and our speedster corners will get them this week.

Halbert
09-30-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by TacklingDummy
With all the talent we have on Defense there are no excuses on why they are so bad.
A. Youth
B. There's not THAT much talent on the defense.