PDA

View Full Version : Texas receiver Adonai Mitchell would check many boxes for Bills

Woodman
04-11-2024, 05:50 PM
Receiver Adonai Mitchell would check many boxes for Bills (https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nfl/bills/buffalo-bills-nfl-draft-receiver-adonai-mitchell/article_1c190e74-f5e9-11ee-a37b-cf6365114e94.html)

The Buffalo Bills need a home-run hitter, a receiver who can stress defenses vertically to free up the intermediate routes for tight ends Dalton Kincaid and Dawson Knox and possesses the kind of speed to run by cornerbacks to catch rainbowlike throws from quarterback Josh Allen.

How about Texas’ Adonai Mitchell with the 28th pick?

The Bills’ decision to trade Stefon Diggs to the Houston Texans on April 3 created a massive void in the passing game, as did – to a lesser extent – Gabe Davis signing with Jacksonville in free agency last month. The Bills signed Curtis Samuel, but one receiver and possibly two receivers should be in the offing during the draft (April 25-27).

Woodman
04-11-2024, 05:52 PM
Mitchell checks the right boxes.

He runs fast. His 4.34-second 40-yard dash at the scouting combine was third fastest among participating receivers.

He scores touchdowns. In his only season with the Longhorns, he had 11 scoring receptions, first in the Big 12 and tied for 11th nationally.

And he gets down the field. Among his 55 catches, seven gained at least 30 yards.

Mad Max
04-11-2024, 05:56 PM
Mitchell checks the right boxes.

He runs fast. His 4.34-second 40-yard dash at the scouting combine was third fastest among participating receivers.

He scores touchdowns. In his only season with the Longhorns, he had 11 scoring receptions, first in the Big 12 and tied for 11th nationally.

And he gets down the field. Among his 55 catches, seven gained at least 30 yards.

You just watched the ESPN piece on him didn’t you?

Saratoga Slim
04-12-2024, 07:29 AM
Mitchell makes me nervous. Said at the combine he rarely runs routes at 100% because he likes to pace himself so he’s fresh at the end of the game. If you’re going to be our first round draft pick, I kind of expect you’ll get yourself in good enough shape to run routes all game.

Red warning flags.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-12-2024, 10:08 AM
It's why drafting is so difficult because it is a projection of the player's growth.

Just for the Bills, we have guys like Pat Williams who, due to the lazy, take play off reputation in college, went undrafted. He took that humiliation to heart and never skipped workout, took a playoff in NFL for a 14 year career.

Then we have Marcel Dareus who had all the natural ability to play in NFL and toed the line of Nick Saban performed well in college, and yet never had the motivation to improve his game in NFL, even though his natural ability got him to a Pro Bowl. After he got paid, he tanked completely.

In my opinion, a lot of top college players may have topped their ability right there, especially in almost all pro schools like Alabama where what you see is what you'll get the best of them. That includes guys like Lawrence - not a bad player but maybe he's already near his ceiling. Think of guys like Sam Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield. On the other hand, guys like Allen, Brady never got to learn and max their potential in college, and they got to prove it in the pro.

So when we talk about the top 3 WRs in the draft, they are probably good enough already to play in NFL now. But how many of them can go another level up all the way to HoF type of players? If Mitchell go the Pat Williams route, can he be as good as the top 3 or even better? The statistics say someone will in the next tier. Getting the right one is always an educated guess. I don't know the Bills have the right eyes to single out the right one, even among the top 3. Playing odds (drafting multiple) might be the better approach.

Bill Cody
04-12-2024, 10:32 AM
I hope we take him

Mad Max
04-12-2024, 01:41 PM
It's why drafting is so difficult because it is a projection of the player's growth.

Just for the Bills, we have guys like Pat Williams who, due to the lazy, take play off reputation in college, went undrafted. He took that humiliation to heart and never skipped workout, took a playoff in NFL for a 14 year career.

Then we have Marcel Dareus who had all the natural ability to play in NFL and toed the line of Nick Saban performed well in college, and yet never had the motivation to improve his game in NFL, even though his natural ability got him to a Pro Bowl. After he got paid, he tanked completely.

In my opinion, a lot of top college players may have topped their ability right there, especially in almost all pro schools like Alabama where what you see is what you'll get the best of them. That includes guys like Lawrence - not a bad player but maybe he's already near his ceiling. Think of guys like Sam Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield. On the other hand, guys like Allen, Brady never got to learn and max their potential in college, and they got to prove it in the pro.

So when we talk about the top 3 WRs in the draft, they are probably good enough already to play in NFL now. But how many of them can go another level up all the way to HoF type of players? If Mitchell go the Pat Williams route, can he be as good as the top 3 or even better? The statistics say someone will in the next tier. Getting the right one is always an educated guess. I don't know the Bills have the right eyes to single out the right one, even among the top 3. Playing odds (drafting multiple) might be the better approach.

It’s equal parts science, intuition, and luck. Pretty much need to get all three.
Both the science and intuition line up for this armchair GM for Mitchell, Leggette and Thomas Jr. For the Bills in the first round.

They all three have excellent measureables and they all three sound like hungry, humble, intelligent and coachable humans. Not one sounds like a douchebag. So often the guy that sounds like a douchebag ends up being a douchebag in the league.

The Bills spoke with ten WR at the Combine included were my three preferences. So pick one and hope we get lucky afterwards. Can’t do any more (except draft two).

Woodman
04-17-2024, 10:16 AM
Mitchell makes me nervous. Said at the combine he rarely runs routes at 100% because he likes to pace himself so he’s fresh at the end of the game. If you’re going to be our first round draft pick, I kind of expect you’ll get yourself in good enough shape to run routes all game.

Red warning flags.

Woodman
04-17-2024, 10:18 AM

I'm still pissed that Denver didn't draft him.

Ed
04-17-2024, 11:55 AM
I know he's a popular name in mock drafts for the Bills, but I've heard enough questions/concerns about him that make me want to stay away. At least in the first round.

Woodman
04-17-2024, 01:25 PM
You just watched the ESPN piece on him didn’t you?
No.

He's just the one to most likely drop to 28th.

The top 4 we can all forget about unless we move up.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-17-2024, 01:58 PM
I'm still pissed that Denver didn't draft him.
Position wise, Edge is the most valuable on defense. It's hard to double with different alignment like wide 9 to maximize top edge's strength where is for a DT, you can bet on 2 big guys blocking you every snap if they want to. Chiefs' Chris Jones is one of those who can play DT and DE. The one play he made against us is at DE position.

Of course there are exceptions. Aaron Donald routinely beats double teams. What can you do about that?

Mad Max
04-17-2024, 02:07 PM
Position wise, Edge is the most valuable on defense. It's hard to double with different alignment like wide 9 to maximize top edge's strength where is for a DT, you can bet on 2 big guys blocking you every snap if they want to. Chiefs' Chris Jones is one of those who can play DT and DE. The one play he made against us is at DE position.

Of course there are exceptions. Aaron Donald routinely beats double teams. What can you do about that?

You’re right about Edge…and the exception.

There’s a DT in this years draft that I think has a great chance to be one of those rare exceptions.

Jer’Zhan Newton. If he’s there at 28 (unlikely but you never know) I’d be very conflicted if say Brian Thomas Jr. was also still there.

Woodman
04-17-2024, 02:15 PM

Marcel Dareus why didn't you go to Denver still pissed about that.

Woodman
04-17-2024, 02:17 PM
Jer’Zhan Newton. If he’s there at 28 (unlikely but you never know) I’d be very conflicted if say Brian Thomas Jr. was also still there.

Either one would be more than acceptable. :band:

ghz in pittsburgh
04-17-2024, 02:26 PM
I'm also curious about Chop Robinson. He has the kind of bend Von Miller has (or had if you think he is done). He actually has the same height/weight as Von came out college. To get the QB under 2 seconds from the edge, the proven type of guy is Von Miller type - forget about Bruce Smith. There is a reason Bruce Smith is at the top of all time great because he had that bend and but also at 40 lb heavier (this considerable stronger) than Von Miller.

But Chop's college production is no where near what you'd expect with his physical traits. He had no more than 5 sacks in any year. In comparison, Von had 17, 10 sack seasons in college. Is Chop just an athlete but not a football player? That's a big question for GMs to answer. He has a higher likelihood at 28. He's a true boom and bust pick: you can get a Maybin, You can get a Miller.

Mad Max
04-17-2024, 02:36 PM
I'm also curious about Chop Robinson. He has the kind of bend Von Miller has (or had if you think he is done). He actually has the same height/weight as Von came out college. To get the QB under 2 seconds from the edge, the proven type of guy is Von Miller type - forget about Bruce Smith. There is a reason Bruce Smith is at the top of all time great because he had that bend and but also at 40 lb heavier (this considerable stronger) than Von Miller.

But Chop's college production is no where near what you'd expect with his physical traits. He had no more than 5 sacks in any year. In comparison, Von had 17, 10 sack seasons in college. Is Chop just an athlete but not a football player? That's a big question for GMs to answer. He has a higher likelihood at 28. He's a true boom and bust pick: you can get a Maybin, You can get a Miller.
No no and F no on Chop.

I’ve seen him mocked to us a few times and it’s cringe.

He’s a classic tweener IMO with very little college production as you noted.

Not worth the risk.

Woodman
04-17-2024, 02:36 PM
Maybin damn was that a terrible pick.

Woodman
04-17-2024, 02:38 PM
No no and F no on Chop.

I’ve seen him mocked to us a few times and it’s cringe.

He’s a classic tweener IMO with very little college production as you noted.

Not worth the risk.

No tweener allowed here. :cheers:

ghz in pittsburgh
04-17-2024, 03:04 PM
Well, Beane has tried to get big guys (not twitch speed traits) on the edge. Epenesa, Rousseau, Basham. No hits so far. Basham is a complete flop. If Chop were able to put up 10 sacks at Penn State, you are talking about a top 5 pick like Von Miller was. As long as the Bills have Josh Allen, we can forget about picking those prospects. Pretty much Beane and his scouting Department have to dig deep for projection and take some gambles. There are guys like Chris Jones dropping to second because off field issues and inconsistent on field performance in college.

Mad Max
04-17-2024, 03:07 PM
Well, Beane has tried to get big guys (not twitch speed traits) on the edge. Epenesa, Rousseau, Basham. No hits so far. Basham is a complete flop. If Chop were able to put up 10 sacks at Penn State, you are talking about a top 5 pick like Von Miller was. As long as the Bills have Josh Allen, we can forget about picking those prospects. Pretty much Beane and his scouting Department have to dig deep for projection and take some gambles. There are guys like Chris Jones dropping to second because off field issues and inconsistent on field performance in college.

I understand taking a risk. I just wouldn’t take it on Chop.

I would rather take it on Latu. He’s a big health risk, but if he does stay healthy he’s going to beast. Whereas Chop has high bust potential.

Jer’Zhan Newton is another DL risk I’d gladly take.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-17-2024, 03:19 PM
Here in Pittsburgh, another example is TJ Watt. Similar size and weight. Steelers got him at pick 30. A late boomer to the point where he's considered a one year wonder. I understand there are others who do not pan out. Again, it's all about dig deep into the guy and have a projection. Is Chop a late, late boomer that will blossom in NFL like Josh Allen? I'll tell you it is easier to take that chance if you are the Chiefs - already won enough that you can stomach such gambles.

Mad Max
04-17-2024, 03:30 PM
Here in Pittsburgh, another example is TJ Watt. Similar size and weight. Steelers got him at pick 30. A late boomer to the point where he's considered a one year wonder. I understand there are others who do not pan out. Again, it's all about dig deep into the guy and have a projection. Is Chop a late, late boomer that will blossom in NFL like Josh Allen? I'll tell you it is easier to take that chance if you are the Chiefs - already won enough that you can stomach such gambles.
Risk/reward I’m just an armchair GM obviously but it skews too far towards risk for this guy.

I wish him the best and hope I’m wrong about him (for his sake) and will of course support him if Beane takes him…I just hope I don’t have to.

Bill Cody
04-17-2024, 03:40 PM
I'm conflicted on Chop Robinson. As a draft pick I would pretty much hate it but as a cool name to have on the team I love it.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-17-2024, 05:11 PM
I'm conflicted on Chop Robinson. As a draft pick I would pretty much hate it but as a cool name to have on the team I love it.
Haha. Guess Tomahawk would be hot item if Chop Robinson pans out in NFL. Every time he gets a sack, the whole stadium doing the chop.

acehole
04-17-2024, 08:45 PM
Receiver Adonai Mitchell would check many boxes for Bills (https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nfl/bills/buffalo-bills-nfl-draft-receiver-adonai-mitchell/article_1c190e74-f5e9-11ee-a37b-cf6365114e94.html)

The Buffalo Bills need a home-run hitter, a receiver who can stress defenses vertically to free up the intermediate routes for tight ends Dalton Kincaid and Dawson Knox and possesses the kind of speed to run by cornerbacks to catch rainbowlike throws from quarterback Josh Allen.

How about Texas’ Adonai Mitchell with the 28th pick?

The Bills’ decision to trade Stefon Diggs to the Houston Texans on April 3 created a massive void in the passing game, as did – to a lesser extent – Gabe Davis signing with Jacksonville in free agency last month. The Bills signed Curtis Samuel, but one receiver and possibly two receivers should be in the offing during the draft (April 25-27).

Lazy box.

ParanoidAndroid
04-18-2024, 07:18 AM
Questionable press coming out about Mitchell right before the draft gets a side eye.

There are a lot of pass rushers with Day 2 and Day 3 grades that could contribute.

Austin Booker
Jonah Ellis
Jalyx Hunt
Javon Solomon
Zion Tupuola-Fetui

Biggest early boom or bust DE is Darius Robinson.

Woodman
04-19-2024, 11:36 AM
Lazy box.

:check: don't need him.

Bill Cody
04-19-2024, 11:52 AM
:check: don't need him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8UO8Fc_75U

this is a video of every play he was involved in. You sure he's lazy? Looks pretty good to me

Mad Max
04-19-2024, 02:01 PM

this is a video of every play he was involved in. You sure he's lazy? Looks pretty good to me

Right. What’s lazy are the arguments against him.

Dude can play, has size, is a good human (missed his daughter so much he switched schools to be closer to her), AND produced big numbers at BOTH Georgia and Texas.

Ya sign me up all day for that kind of “lazy”.

Oaf
04-19-2024, 02:07 PM
I'm out on AD Mitchell based on film and combine. Since my opinion matters greatly to OBD, that means we're not drafting him.

Would reconsider at 60

Bill Cody
04-19-2024, 03:24 PM
I'm out on AD Mitchell based on film and combine. Since my opinion matters greatly to OBD, that means we're not drafting him.

Would reconsider at 60

Not seeing what you're seeing.

He had a fine combine. 4.34 40 and an athleticism score of 91 (3rd among WR's). He also has very good size at 6'2" 205. Not a chance in hell he makes it to 60

Woodman
04-20-2024, 02:30 PM

We draft him I'm a fan until proven wrong.

All Bills all the time.

sahlensguy
04-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Uninterested blocker. Doesn't run routes at full speed.

Wouldn't make us forget Gabe Davis anytime soon.

notacon
04-22-2024, 09:00 AM
Uninterested blocker. Doesn't run routes at full speed.

Wouldn't make us forget Gabe Davis anytime soon.

Except Gabe Davis was an excellent blocker.

Ingtar33
04-22-2024, 10:01 AM

I disagree with Rousseau. Our run defense is much much better with him on the field then with him off it. He also is good for a splash play or two a season in the pass defense; and 6-8 sacks or so. He's not a bruce smith, but phil hanson is pretty good too. I say he's a good enough guy to start, sort of the core type of guy which every nfl team is made with but who never really stars. I don't consider him a bust. But he'll never be a star.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-22-2024, 10:30 AM
Well Ingtar,, Rousseau is OK. I don't think it is a bad draft pick, actually a good one. But not a home run, i.e., signs of an elite player after 3 years in the league.

Rousseau's prototype model is a Mario Williams and he has not performed at that level yet. You may say Mario was drafted 1st overall compared to Rousseau. How about Chris Jones who was drafted in the 2nd round? Mario Williams may have a year or two at Chris Jones level, whereas Chris Jones is pretty consistent since year 2 of his NFL career.

The standard is different. Beane is pretty good at not drafting out right busts too often. That in itself means he's a good GM in NFL, considering the bust ratio overall for 1st and 2nd rounders. But to win a superbowl, we need more, like a couple of elite players. He got one so far in Josh Allen. We'll see if Kincaid can get into that category. I do admit there is some luck involved in there as well though.

cookie G
04-22-2024, 12:24 PM

Its really about taking plays off on the plays in which he ISN'T involved.

Steve Smith brought this up in one of his vids. He talked about how some coaches will come out and tell WRs that they can coast on plays that aren't designed to go their way.

You could tell it was a bit of a pet peeve with him. I couldn't tell you if Sarkasian is like that, or if in fact AD is taking plays off. Often a guy looks like he's coasting when he's looking to go into an area of a zone, or something.

If you are a scout, or especially a GM, its an issue you can't ignore, but it also might be little to nothing. it is a part of the due diligence you are going to do. It might be as simple as "you can't do that in the NFL" or a quick come to Jesus talk.

I'm sure they've done a good look into his work habits.

But we'll see soon enough.

sahlensguy
04-22-2024, 12:42 PM
Its really about taking plays off on the plays in which he ISN'T involved.

Steve Smith brought this up in one of his vids. He talked about how some coaches will come out and tell WRs that they can coast on plays that aren't designed to go their way.

You could tell it was a bit of a pet peeve with him. I couldn't tell you if Sarkasian is like that, or if in fact AD is taking plays off. Often a guy looks like he's coasting when he's looking to go into an area of a zone, or something.

If you are a scout, or especially a GM, its an issue you can't ignore, but it also might be little to nothing. it is a part of the due diligence you are going to do. It might be as simple as "you can't do that in the NFL" or a quick come to Jesus talk.

I'm sure they've done a good look into his work habits.

But we'll see soon enough.

There are a bunch of traits that add up to looking like AD is lazy.

Admits to not going 100%
Lazy routes
Uninterested blocker
3.0 YAC
Falls down

Guys amazing in other ways but
Not a 1st round pick.

Woodman
04-24-2024, 09:14 AM
Go defense or OL :idunno:

Go WR in the 2nd.