PDA

View Full Version : We don’t need a number one receiver…says Beanie Baby

Mad Max
04-18-2024, 03:45 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-media-max-width="560"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bills General Manager Brandon Beane does NOT believe Buffalo needs a true No. 1 wide receiver.<br><br>Everyone else: <a href="https://t.co/UYDBR1shnm">pic.twitter.com/UYDBR1shnm</a></p>&mdash; Moody (@EricNMoody) <a href="https://twitter.com/EricNMoody/status/1781026712328790087?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 18, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-media-max-width="560"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bills GM Brandon Beane doesn’t think Buffalo needs a “true WR1” this season…<br><br>Is this smoke &amp; mirrors? 🤔<br> <a href="https://t.co/992prMPoEm">pic.twitter.com/992prMPoEm</a></p>&mdash; SleeperNFL (@SleeperNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/SleeperNFL/status/1780989499708940705?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 18, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

- - - Updated - - -

Let the games begin.

YardRat
04-18-2024, 07:49 PM
He's right.

Mad Max
04-18-2024, 07:56 PM
He's right.

He’s lying. Smokescreen 101.

YardRat
04-18-2024, 08:08 PM
He’s lying. Smokescreen 101.

Lying about what? He didn't say they weren't interested in acquiring a talented receiver.

Mad Max
04-18-2024, 08:19 PM
Lying about what? He didn't say they weren't interested in acquiring a talented receiver.
Lying about him thinking we don’t need a number one.

As as been witnessed you technically don’t have to have one but it sure makes life easier.

He’s leaving doubt out there, aka smokescreening about his upcoming draft strategy.

Novacane
04-18-2024, 09:22 PM
KC has won the last two SB without one.

kgun12
04-18-2024, 09:32 PM

AThis! nd the Bills had a pretty good run the last half of the season without one.

Woodman
04-18-2024, 10:02 PM
Can you win a Super Bowl without a great #1 WR? (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/265593-Can-you-win-a-Super-Bowl-without-a-great-1-WR)

cookie G
04-18-2024, 10:12 PM
Actually, at one point in the PC, he said that you'd prefer to have 2 no 1 WRs, if you can.

All I know is that for his 1st 2 years, Josh was fair to middlin', with flashes of brilliance. He had John Brown and Beasely in 2019, but still only threw for 3000 yards, and had an offense that was 23rd in scoring. With most of the starters (skill positions), plus Diggs, the offense passed for 1000 yards more and went to 2nd in the league in scoring.

And it remained that high for the next 4 years.

I don't feel real good about saying "Josh has progressed so much that we can throw anyone out there".

This year's WR crop is very very talented and very deep, but that depth is not infinite. This isn't the year to draft, say, another pass rusher at 28 and wait until the bottom of the 2nd to draft one. All those teams supposedly drafting QB's in the 1st, teams drafting before us...will probably look at the WR pool in the 2nd. Same with those teams drafting before us who are taking other positions in the 2nd.

Much of that talent will be plucked away by the time we draft at 60.

They are in a very good position to get talent at 28, talent that they really don't have on the roster.

Beane has talked for years about finding the big play threat. Now is his chance to get it.

jamze132
04-18-2024, 10:30 PM
I’m all for staying at 28 and taking the best WR available. Should still be able to get a very good one!

Mad Max
04-18-2024, 11:07 PM

Having a first ballot HOF TE as their top pass catcher by targets, yards and yards per game negates their need for one.

Historian
04-19-2024, 03:59 AM
Lets be honest.

The last time the Bills had a legit #1 receiver, it was Eric Moulds.

We are way overdue.

KC won two SBS because of their quarterback's ability to vamp on the run, plus they have the best TE in football.

Josh is a traditional pocket passer who needs a deep threat.

GreedoII
04-19-2024, 06:42 AM
They don't want a guy crying for the ball every dang down. Simple as that. They are drafting a WR unless a blue-chipper falls to them in another position and they pick them. Its that simple

YardRat
04-19-2024, 07:15 AM
Actually, at one point in the PC, he said that you'd prefer to have 2 no 1 WRs, if you can.

Which I interpret as having enough talent at several positions that the "#1 WR" is going to be different guys, at different times. Kincaid could be "#1" one week...Shakir for a half...Cook for a drive...depending on what the defense is giving you.

All I know is that for his 1st 2 years, Josh was fair to middlin', with flashes of brilliance. He had John Brown and Beasely in 2019, but still only threw for 3000 yards, and had an offense that was 23rd in scoring. With most of the starters (skill positions), plus Diggs, the offense passed for 1000 yards more and went to 2nd in the league in scoring.

And it remained that high for the next 4 years.

I think some people find some encouragement in how the offense performed the last half of last season when Diggs was "absent".

I don't feel real good about saying "Josh has progressed so much that we can throw anyone out there".

Yeah me either, because he hasn't. He's stagnated the last couple (few?) years, actually. Looking through rose-colored glasses maybe in hindsight we can claim Diggs actually stunted Allen's growth to a certain extent because of his insistence on being the "#1" and the QB will finally show some more growth.

This year's WR crop is very very talented and very deep, but that depth is not infinite. This isn't the year to draft, say, another pass rusher at 28 and wait until the bottom of the 2nd to draft one. All those teams supposedly drafting QB's in the 1st, teams drafting before us...will probably look at the WR pool in the 2nd. Same with those teams drafting before us who are taking other positions in the 2nd.

Much of that talent will be plucked away by the time we draft at 60.

They are in a very good position to get talent at 28, talent that they really don't have on the roster.

Beane has talked for years about finding the big play threat. Now is his chance to get it.

I don't think anybody is claiming we couldn't use a talented receiver in the draft or we shouldn't use our first on one, IMO it's more "we don't need a guy to build the passing game around at wide receiver because we already have the QB to do that".

Forward_Lateral
04-19-2024, 07:23 AM
You don’t need one if you have an all world TE

kscdogbillsfan1221
04-19-2024, 08:09 AM
Lets be honest.

We are way overdue.

KC won two SBS because of their quarterback's ability to vamp on the run, plus they have the best TE in football.

You didn’t count diggs as a true number 1?

notacon
04-19-2024, 09:39 AM
Beane is being pretty honest. He does not have a record of egregious lying when talking to the press.

That still does not tell us what he is going to do come draft day. I suspect he does not know 100% either.

He's a smart GM who will have (along with his whole talent team) done their homework and be ready for anything as the draft commences.

TacklingDummy
04-19-2024, 10:00 AM

Good but no Jefferson, Chase, Adams, Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Evans, Hopkins, Lamb, Brown, St. Brown, Puka, Aiyuk, Olave and some others.

Historian
04-19-2024, 11:53 AM

No I can honestly say I did not, and that's not to undermine all of his abilities, honestly.
IMO, he was average size, better than average speed. When I think of true number 1s, I think of guys like..... DK Metcalf, Eric Moulds, TO as a Niner, Irvin, guys like that.

As a matter of fact, I went through every draft since the merger and ranked where I thought the Bills receivers are:

Some "true #1s" in Bills history, IMHO:

Eric Moulds

Frank Lewis

Andre Reed

Jerry Butler

Haven Moses

Bills True #2s:

Bob Chandler

Marlin Briscoe

Stefon Diggs

Chris Burkett

James Lofton (a true #1 as a Packer)

TO (#1 as a 49er)

Quinn Early

Byron Franklin

Lee Evans

Peerless Price

Stevie Johnson

Sammie Watkins

Bills "True 3rds" IMO:

Mark Mosely

Robert Woods

Josh Reed

Ron Jesse

Lou Piccone

Steve Tasker

John Holland

Don Beebe

Russell Copeland

Justin Armour

Robert Holt

Marquise Goodwin

Zay Jones

Ray Ray McCloud

Roscoe Parrish

Gabe Davis

Kalil Shakir

Cole Beasley

Al Edwards

Billy Brooks

JD Hill

Absolute Garbage

Bernard Ford

Julius Dawkins

Mitchell Brookins

Kamil Loud

Avion Black

Walter Broughton

Brad Lamb

Drew Hadad

Sam Aiken

Eric Richardson

Perry Tuttle

Jimmy Teal

Reggie Bynam

Justin Shorter

Chris Walsh

Kwame Cavil

John Kimborough

James Hardy

Marcus Easley

TJ Graham

Danny Fulton

ghz in pittsburgh
04-19-2024, 09:16 PM
Amen to historian. Diggs is not a #1 receivers. Beane himself used words carefully that Diggs filled the #1 wr role when he got to Buffalo, not that he is the true #1 receiver in Buffalo. An argument can made that Davis in the last 2 years is used more like a #1 receiver, out snapped Diggs , running more boundary routes. More of the “using your size” kind of targets. Both Samuel and Shakir are projected to be in Diggs role.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-19-2024, 09:32 PM
If you look Diggs 2nd year stats in nfl: 84 catches on 112 targets. Shakir 2nd year 39 catches on something like 43 targets. Not saying shakir will be Diggs. But something to watch, especially next year that he may step into a role that opponents may put #1 cb on him.

Right now though, I still bet Shakir is not getting 100 targets in 2024. Kincaid is odds on favorite to get that. But you never know if Shakir will force Brady’s hand by having a Diggs like breakout season which is not uncommon for wr on year 3

sahlensguy
04-20-2024, 05:20 AM
It doesn't matter what you get with your picks but don't whiff.

DraftBoy
04-20-2024, 06:29 AM
The lack of a dependable #1 target has held this team back and Josh as well. He’s never had a guy he can just throw it up to and let him go make a play. Bring him that and you will see this offense reinvent itself, don’t and you will see the definition of insanity play out.

sahlensguy
04-20-2024, 06:34 AM
The lack of a dependable #1 target has held this team back and Josh as well. He’s never had a guy he can just throw it up to and let him go make a play. Bring him that and you will see this offense reinvent itself, don’t and you will see the definition of insanity play out.

I don't see it. Josh doesn't throw that kind of ball imo.

TacklingDummy
04-20-2024, 07:07 AM

Josh does throw alot of balls imto tight coverage. Some would say up for grabs.

To me it always seems like he fits the ball right in there and the reciever gets tackled almost immediately.

sahlensguy
04-20-2024, 07:19 AM
Josh does throw alot of balls imto tight coverage. Some would say up for grabs.

I think we are seeing close to the same thing. To me it always seems like he fits the ball right in there and the reciever gets tackled almost immediately.

I think we are saying close to the same thing. I see when he throws it up, it's more of a reckless, low percentage throw than to a spot where the receiver can outmaneuver the coverage to go get it without a high risk of an int.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-20-2024, 07:19 AM
Every team wants a true #1. Who doesn’t want a Randy Moss even with some baggage? My point is don’t simply chase that guy. If you have a non prototypical #1 receiver ranked significantly higher, don’t take that one

sahlensguy
04-20-2024, 07:22 AM
Every team wants a true #1. Who doesn’t want a Randy Moss even with some baggage? My point is don’t simply chase that guy. If you have a non prototypical #1 receiver ranked significantly higher, don’t take that one

Don't try to hit the home run with the draft pick. Get a ground rule double and don't whiff

Historian
04-20-2024, 08:29 AM
Don't try to hit the home run with the draft pick. Get a ground rule double and don't whiff

I like the philosophy Sahlens.

The Watkins and Tuttle moves scare the heck out of me.

Depending on how the first round plays out, make a small move if you think a solid number 1 WR will drop down to 17...20...22, etc.

Trying to force your way into the top 10 or 12 is just too risky for a team that has a few holes and limited cap space.

Beane is a bright guy.

I'm sure he will do right by us.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-20-2024, 08:33 AM
I do want a home run guy. But there are different home run guys from different positions. Don’t zero in on the 1st base position and say we must get a home run guy there. The chiefs proved that over and over

kgun12
04-20-2024, 08:57 AM

Depending on how the first round plays out, make a small move if you think a solid number 1 WR will drop down to 17...20...22, etc.

Trying to force your way into the top 10 or 12 is just too risky for a team that has a few holes and limited cap space.

Beane is a bright guy.

Totally agree with this, drafting is a major risk to start. Too many players just can’t and don’t live up to their hype! I’d rather have more draft picks in the middle rounds and not waste a brunch like you said “trying to force” things.

sahlensguy
04-20-2024, 09:02 AM

Beane is a bright guy.

No need for Beane to make a splash. He already has the QB who can put the team on his back and win it all. If Beane just drafts enough players who fit the system we'll be fine. We might even hit on another star or two.

cookie G
04-20-2024, 10:46 AM
Which I interpret as having enough talent at several positions that the "#1 WR" is going to be different guys, at different times. Kincaid could be "#1" one week...Shakir for a half...Cook for a drive...depending on what the defense is giving you.

Well you could interpret it that way, but that's not what he meant. There are a few teams that have 2 legit No. 1's. Of courze there aren't too many of them.

San Fran with Deebo and now Ayuk (at present);
Tampa
Miami
Philly
The Chargers did with Keenan Allen and Mike Williams

Again, he said "ideally" or a word to that effect.

I think some people find some encouragement in how the offense performed the last half of last season when Diggs was "absent".

Im sure there are...to an extent I am too. They began to run the ball more effectively and cut down on the turnovers. The D played lights out.

But keep in mind, in the last 6 games, including the playoffs, they passed for less than 200 yards in 4 of those games, and in a 5th game, they barely squeaked past 200 yards.

Not sure if they can sustain that for a full season, esp. a rebuild on defense and teams getting a sneak peek at the Bills playbook this year.

Yeah me either, because he hasn't. He's stagnated the last couple (few?) years, actually. Looking through rose-colored glasses maybe in hindsight we can claim Diggs actually stunted Allen's growth to a certain extent because of his insistence on being the "#1" and the QB will finally show some more growth.

Yeah those would be pretty rose colored glasses. I know its fashionable to slam on Diggs and let it slop over to his whole career here. But Josh was pretty accurate when he said, "he helped me become the QB I am today."

I caught Kurt Warner last night talking about the situation, and he just laughed a bit and said something like "yeah, he needs someone". He went on about talking about having that guy you can rely upon to get open and catch the ball. Ofc, when his career was at its best, he had at least 2.

Stl- Bruce and Holt (with huge contributions from Faulk and Akim);
Zona- Fitz and Boldin

For 3 1/2 years, Josh had that with Diggs. Does Kincaid, Shakir or Samuel now fill that role? Idk. I hope so.

I don't think anybody is claiming we couldn't use a talented receiver in the draft or we shouldn't use our first on one, IMO it's more "we don't need a guy to build the passing game around at wide receiver because we already have the QB to do that".

I don't see it as "building the passing game around" as much as giving the passing game something it hasn't had for a while, a bona fide deep threat.

I like who they have at WR now, but they are really in the short to mid range areas of the field.

Right now, there are 3 guys within reach (at 28 or possibly a small trade up) that have the size/speed/hands/ability to get open deep/other factors:

Thomas
Mitchell
Legette

there are others with speed, but many of them are more of underneath targets.

Why its important:

-most obvious, you have a QB with a cannon for an arm who loves, in face needs, to throw the ball deep at times.
-because of that, you need a legit target
-it doesn't mean you have to chuck the ball deep constantly. Most teams play the BIlls in a two deep zone now. With that legit deep target, you are most likely going to draw one of the safeties away from the middle of the field, opening things up for the group of talented underneath/mid route guys, bot h in their route and the ability to take off after the catch.

Anyhoo...after all that, I found it interesting that Josh texted Beane 2 words last year during the 1st round "Dalton Kincaid". Josh even made a Draft Day reference when he talked about it.

So this year, he only types 1 word "Xavier".

Beane looks at it, shows it to McD, and says, "who does he mean? Xavier Legette or Xavier Worthy?

McD says "I know who he meant, and write down a name"

With 28th pick of the 2024 NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select...

Xavier Thomas, Edge, CLemson.

DraftBoy
04-20-2024, 10:54 AM

Huh? He throws that kind of a ball all the time.

DraftBoy
04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
No need for Beane to make a splash. He already has the QB who can put the team on his back and win it all. If Beane just drafts enough players who fit the system we'll be fine. We might even hit on another star or two.

Beane does need a splash after his last few moves didn’t pan out. He’s feeling some heat and while his job likely isn’t in jeopardy yet if the Bills slip or miss the playoffs then he’ll be on the hot seat while McDermott is gone. They both need to make a big move.

They can’t allow this team to go into next season without significant improvement that they can sell to the owners and fan base. Any step back would be a disaster.

Forward_Lateral
04-20-2024, 11:08 AM
Beane does need a splash after his last few moves didn’t pan out. He’s feeling some heat and while his job likely isn’t in jeopardy yet if the Bills slip or miss the playoffs then he’ll be on the hot seat while McDermott is gone. They both need to make a big move.

They can’t allow this team to go into next season without significant improvement that they can sell to the owners and fan base. Any step back would be a disaster.

What draft picks didnt pan out??

sahlensguy
04-20-2024, 11:12 AM

I think teams rarely make significant improvements from even the best rookies.

If Beane is feeling pressure to do so, we're in trouble.

YardRat
04-20-2024, 11:14 AM
No I can honestly say I did not, and that's not to undermine all of his abilities, honestly.
IMO, he was average size, better than average speed. When I think of true number 1s, I think of guys like..... DK Metcalf, Eric Moulds, TO as a Niner, Irvin, guys like that.

As a matter of fact, I went through every draft since the merger and ranked where I thought the Bills receivers are:

Some "true #1s" in Bills history, IMHO:

Eric Moulds

Frank Lewis

Andre Reed

Jerry Butler

Haven Moses

Bills True #2s:

Bob Chandler

Marlin Briscoe

Stefon Diggs

Chris Burkett

James Lofton (a true #1 as a Packer)

TO (#1 as a 49er)

Quinn Early

Byron Franklin

Lee Evans

Peerless Price

Stevie Johnson

Sammie Watkins

Bills "True 3rds" IMO:

Mark Mosely

Robert Woods

Josh Reed

Ron Jesse

Lou Piccone

Steve Tasker

John Holland

Don Beebe

Russell Copeland

Justin Armour

Robert Holt

Marquise Goodwin

Zay Jones

Ray Ray McCloud

Roscoe Parrish

Gabe Davis

Kalil Shakir

Cole Beasley

Al Edwards

Billy Brooks

JD Hill

Absolute Garbage

Bernard Ford

Julius Dawkins

Mitchell Brookins

Kamil Loud

Avion Black

Walter Broughton

Brad Lamb

Drew Hadad

Sam Aiken

Eric Richardson

Perry Tuttle

Jimmy Teal

Reggie Bynam

Justin Shorter

Chris Walsh

Kwame Cavil

John Kimborough

James Hardy

Marcus Easley

TJ Graham

Danny Fulton

There's an awful lot there to debate, but most glaringly putting somebody who barely saw the field in offensive sets like Mike Mosley with Woods, Reed, Piccone, etc is an insult to the other guys.

DraftBoy
04-20-2024, 11:19 AM
What draft picks didnt pan out??

Elam, Zay, Edmunds, Ford, Epenesa, and Moss if were just talking about 1st through 3rd rounders.

DraftBoy
04-20-2024, 11:21 AM
I think teams rarely make significant improvements from even the best rookies.

If Beane is feeling pressure to do so, we're in trouble.

I didn’t say the draft pick had to be the big splash, just that he needed one. I can absolutely see Beane thinking we’re close and going all in to try and get Nabers. I wouldn’t like it, but it fits his mentality.

sahlensguy
04-20-2024, 11:24 AM
Huh? He throws that kind of a ball all the time.

Josh isn't the cerebral thrower with touch who throws the ball to a spot that where wr can change direction to and to where the DB can not. Josh is a power thrower. Aaron Rodgers he is not.

kgun12
04-20-2024, 01:12 PM
I didn’t say the draft pick had to be the big splash, just that he needed one. I can absolutely see Beane thinking we’re close and going all in to try and get Nabers. I wouldn’t like it, but it fits his mentality.

Unfortunately, I believe you are correct.

Woodman
04-20-2024, 02:33 PM
Unfortunately, I believe you are correct.

Wow that would cost us a ton .... never put nothing past Beaner.

kgun12
04-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Wow that would cost us a ton .... never put nothing past Beaner.

Way too much and we need to fill more that a few other positions, at least for quality depth!

Woodman
04-20-2024, 02:36 PM
Way too much and we need to fill more that a few other positions, at least for quality depth!

100% agreed!

:gobills: Please make this your best draft Beanie.

Saratoga Slim
04-20-2024, 03:15 PM
Lets be honest.

We are way overdue.

Josh is a traditional pocket passer?????

sukie
04-20-2024, 03:24 PM
Josh is a traditional pocket passer?????
Yes he’s a mobile pocket passer. Duh, what have you been watching?

YardRat
04-20-2024, 03:44 PM
Well you could interpret it that way, but that's not what he meant. There are a few teams that have 2 legit No. 1's. Of courze there aren't too many of them.

San Fran with Deebo and now Ayuk (at present);
Tampa
Miami
Philly
The Chargers did with Keenan Allen and Mike Williams

Again, he said "ideally" or a word to that effect.

I think it's exactly what he meant..."What this offense needs are guys that are smart, versatile, selfless, and can make the plays that their skillsets allow them to make."
That doesn't scream traditional "#1 receiver" to anybody.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
04-20-2024, 06:08 PM
I like the idea of not getting a vet #1 for high dollar and then have him double-teamed or otherwise schemed into nothing.

Get a rotation of speedsters with hands and rotate them so that the D doesn't have a clue who's gunna do wut.

That's just me, a jamo with a keyboard, but trading for Jefferspin or whomever just doesn't seem right. Get two good picks and maybe watch the wire or UDFAs. See if sukie can still run.

Mad Max
04-20-2024, 06:17 PM
I like the idea of not getting a vet #1 for high dollar and then have him double-teamed or otherwise schemed into nothing.

Get a rotation of speedsters with hands and rotate them so that the D doesn't have a clue who's gunna do wut.

That's just me, a jamo with a keyboard, but trading for Jefferspin or whomever just doesn't seem right. Get two good picks and maybe watch the wire or UDFAs. See if sukie can still run.

Sukie can definitely run. Back and forth from the buffet table.

Historian
04-21-2024, 05:20 AM
putting somebody who barely saw the field in offensive sets like Mike Mosley with Woods, Reed, Piccone, etc is an insult to the other guys.

I disagree.

Mosley had good speed, soft hands, and made some spectacular catches for us whenever called upon.

Unfortunately he couldn't stay healthy. (knees I believe)

I always thought Byron Franklin was pretty special too.

YardRat
04-21-2024, 07:39 AM
I disagree.

Mosley had good speed, soft hands, and made some spectacular catches for us whenever called upon.

Unfortunately he couldn't stay healthy. (knees I believe)

I always thought Byron Franklin was pretty special too.

Production should be the benchmark, not potential or physical attributes.

I met Mosley during training camp his rookie season...kind of. He was pretty hammered sitting propped up against a wall on a barstool. I straightened out one of his beers so he wasn't spilling it.

notacon
04-21-2024, 10:46 AM
Amen to historian. Diggs is not a #1 receivers. Beane himself used words carefully that Diggs filled the #1 wr role when he got to Buffalo, not that he is the true #1 receiver in Buffalo. An argument can made that Davis in the last 2 years is used more like a #1 receiver, out snapped Diggs , running more boundary routes. More of the “using your size” kind of targets. Both Samuel and Shakir are projected to be in Diggs role.

+1

Diggs (mostly) totally crappy performances in the Bills' playoffs deem him to not be a true #1 WR.

His 100% awful, terrible ****ty performance in the Bills' playoff losses (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/265560-Bills-trading-Diggs-to-texans?p=5096757&viewfull=1#post5096757) during his time here made him more like a poor #4 WR, barely hanging on to a roster spot.

<tbody>

TGS
REC
Catch %
Yards
AVG/Y/C
Long
TD
AVG/Y/G

4 Playoff LOSSES
45.71%

3 Playoff loses Vs Chiefs