PDA

View Full Version : Lindy Ruff hired as coach

sukie
04-22-2024, 04:19 PM
https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/rochester/sports/2024/04/22/buffalo-sabres-hire-lindy-ruff-as-head-coach

there ya go.

Historian
04-22-2024, 04:36 PM
I called this one.

At least these lazy underachieving players will come home from practice tired.

I bet they make the playoffs too.

T&C
04-22-2024, 04:48 PM
I called this one.

I and 4 other people I know also called this one... the perfect hire, no... a decent hire, yes. Glad to have him back.

TheConsigliere
04-22-2024, 04:57 PM
LOL!!!

Buffalogic
04-22-2024, 06:18 PM
Win

Woodman
04-22-2024, 06:20 PM
Lindy! :cheers:

POTLAND PSILBYLO
04-22-2024, 06:43 PM
At least he knows how to drive around the towns:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gijez9TRkI4?si=QiNs5kXrwVqOoEu_" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jamze132
04-22-2024, 06:55 PM
I called this one.

I suggested it first before Granato was fired ha!

OpIv37
04-22-2024, 07:14 PM
I’m good with it. Lindy had some great years despite epic management failure above him.

YardRat
04-22-2024, 07:16 PM
Was hoping they'd give somebody like Peca a chance instead of re-treading Lindy.

DetoxTent
04-22-2024, 07:55 PM
I called this one.

Yep. Had Lindy been coaching this year's Sabres, they would have had an extra 10 to 15 points in the standings.

I went to the NJ Devils v Sabres on 11/25/23. Lindy beat Granato 7-2. Comrie was pulled after letting 4 in in the first, but Levi let in another 3. All game long Lindy had 4 guys standing up the Sabres at the blue line. The Sabres could never break into the offensive zone. Hate Lindy hockey if you want, but it works. He got fired from the Devils because the GM couldn't get a goaltender. He got fired from the Sabres because the GM was bringing in Ville Leino-types. Give Ruff players he will get the team into the play-offs. Season before this his Devil team had 112 points in the standings!!!

DetoxTent
04-22-2024, 07:58 PM
Was hoping they'd give somebody like Peca a chance instead of re-treading Lindy.

Peca has no experience. This young roster is rounding into shape, or should be, now. No time for a new coach to feel his wild oats. No to Peca. Ruff is a known commodity who is proven to be good with young NHL players. Peca, in no way, understands the game better than Ruff. I hope Ruff gets some say in building the roster. Kevyn Adams was an assistant coach one year under Ruff in Buffalo. Hopefully the two of them can right this ship.

DetoxTent
04-22-2024, 07:59 PM
I suggested it first before Granato was fired ha!

Botterill almost hired him before Granato.

DetoxTent
04-22-2024, 08:06 PM
https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/rochester/sports/2024/04/22/buffalo-sabres-hire-lindy-ruff-as-head-coach
there ya go.

All the experienced coaches available have warts. The Rangers fired Gallant and then got better after he was fired. The Devils fired Ruff and got worse after being fired.

Ruff was a victim of Darcy Regier's missteps as GM and spending limits he had to deal with. With the Devils, the GM had goaltender issues he couldn't solve, so Ruff was again scapegoated. I don't remember the Dallas firing reasons. As I recall they gave Ruff 4 seasons and felt Ruff couldn't get them to the cup. That team is not as good as the Dallas team of today however. It was good, but not quite this good (add Robertson, Marchment and Duchene to their roster).

JATMtheJATM
04-22-2024, 08:10 PM
My guess is Lindy will let Adams out appert on his staff to groom him for the future while moving Lindy to pres of hockey ops in a season or two

sukie
04-23-2024, 04:41 AM
God I hope Lindy hires a killer video coordinator. That last guy was a dud.

Historian
04-23-2024, 04:46 AM
I would have no problem bringing in Peca as an assistant, but right now these young players need a proven winner to teach them NHL hockey.

The talent is there, minus a little blue line toughness.

Let's see what he can do with this bunch.

I'm excited.

Historian
04-23-2024, 05:05 AM
https://scontent-ord5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/438239872_841616734671327_9056922561830646545_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg_s640x640&_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=i_gQzaT7K-IAb44Jf4p&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.xx&oh=00_AfBGs4GsjpGgKNeeU5USrr87uacCUguhnr--7_iQkLUHZQ&oe=662D3F40

YardRat
04-23-2024, 05:46 AM
Peca has no experience. This young roster is rounding into shape, or should be, now. No time for a new coach to feel his wild oats. No to Peca. Ruff is a known commodity who is proven to be good with young NHL players. Peca, in no way, understands the game better than Ruff. I hope Ruff gets some say in building the roster. Kevyn Adams was an assistant coach one year under Ruff in Buffalo. Hopefully the two of them can right this ship.

I would have no problem bringing in Peca as an assistant, but right now these young players need a proven winner to teach them NHL hockey.

I'm excited.

That's fair. But Lindy also couldn't win it all with the best goalie (arguably) in NHL history in net either. Bringing Peca in as an assistant probably is a better move, though.

DetoxTent
04-23-2024, 06:03 AM
https://www.bing.com/th?id=OVFT.gR_shVwHqStD2v0BNj-NMS&pid=News&w=234&h=132&c=14&rs=2&qlt=90&dpr=1.5

DetoxTent
04-23-2024, 06:14 AM
Lindy fired on March 4th. Devils went 8-13 after that. (Lindy not the problem).

Gallant gave the Rangers their first ever 2 back-to-back 100 point seasons (110 - 107), then Laviolette gives them 114 points this season.

Amazing that 100 point x 2 coach was fired.

TheConsigliere
04-23-2024, 09:38 AM

I'm excited.
I am just pumped myself!!!

OpIv37
04-23-2024, 09:50 AM

I don’t know. They gave Housley his first shot at being HC. They gave Granato his first shot in the bigs. Neither worked out.

I don’t think there’s an obvious correct choice when it comes to “experienced retread vs up-and-comer.”

ckg927
04-23-2024, 04:25 PM

I would not be surprised to see Peca join as an assistant. MAYBE in this scenario, Peca might move into the HC position if Lindy decides to become, say, President of Hockey Ops at some point in the future.

DetoxTent
04-23-2024, 05:51 PM
I would not be surprised to see Peca join as an assistant. MAYBE in this scenario, Peca might move into the HC position if Lindy decides to become, say, President of Hockey Ops at some point in the future.

You're a dreamer

TheConsigliere
04-23-2024, 07:49 PM

Punch Imlach should also be considered.

JATMtheJATM
04-23-2024, 08:08 PM

I think they got theie guy in Appert.

OpIv37
04-23-2024, 10:18 PM
Punch Imlach should also be considered.

Only if he can bring on Taro Tsujimoto as S/T coach

DetoxTent
04-24-2024, 04:31 AM
I think they got theie guy in Appert.

That is a much more reasonable idea than Peca, who is reported to be very much doing this exact thing already behind Peter Laviolette for a much better team (LINK (https://blueseatblogs.com/2023/06/20/michael-peca-rangers-assistant-coach/)).

DetoxTent
04-24-2024, 04:44 AM
That is a much more reasonable idea than Peca, who is reported to be very much doing this exact thing already behind Peter Laviolette for a much better team (LINK (https://blueseatblogs.com/2023/06/20/michael-peca-rangers-assistant-coach/)).

We heard very good things about Ron Rolston (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Rolston) as Rochester Americans coach, which led to a head coaching gig for the Sabres that ended badly in 2013. So forgive me if I am skeptical about Seth Appert (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_Appert). But, perhaps, if they brought him up to the pros as an assistant to learn how to handle pros from a guy like Ruff may be a better tact than how they just put Rolston in with no prior experience. The two men (Rolston & Appert) were both said to be very good with young players, but Rolston failed at handling highly paid NHL players. (Again, part of his issue was the talent the GM was providing at the time - Regier).

DetoxTent
04-24-2024, 04:53 AM
After it was announced Monday that Ruff was returning to Buffalo as head coach, Ruff says he heard from a number of former player, including Ryan Miller, Jason Pominville and Thomas Vanek.

"They all said, 'You’re the guy that can get them there,'" he recalled. "I think if you remember, I was pretty hard on Thomas Vanek, and we’ve had lots of great conversations. This team is so similar to where we were at back then, deep with talent, but we needed to play the game the right way.

"We were deep, like three lines deep, and then I had useful tools you could lean on people with. From Rob Ray to Andrew Peters and Adam Mair."

LINK (https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/sabres/lindy-ruff-settled-in-tuesday-as-new-head-coach-of-sabres)

DetoxTent
04-24-2024, 04:56 AM
And for the Ruff-hiring critics....

"I actually laugh at some of my coaching style when I left here, because a lot of things have changed," he said.

JATMtheJATM
04-24-2024, 07:08 AM

Don't get me wrong, I want Peca. What he did with some of the youngsters in Roch and Buffalo was impressive and much of the ,22-23 seasons success was attributed to him.

But unless they hired him to be the HC now, he wasn't coming back. And if they hire him as the HC and he isn't quite ready yet, and they miss again, it could mean another rebuild.

So this route is fine if Appert is the long term plan

JoeMama
04-24-2024, 09:46 AM
Sabs coming in hot with the nostalgia.

Lindy had good stints in Dallas and New Jersey.

Love the move. Can't wait to see what he does with the young guns on this roster.

JATMtheJATM
04-24-2024, 10:50 AM
Sabs coming in hot with the nostalgia.

Lindy had good stints in Dallas and New Jersey.

Love the move. Can't wait to see what he does with the young guns on this roster.

I was a little critical at first. There is this idea that Lindy is the same coach today he was in 1997. Or 2012 when Pegula came in and bought high priced free agents and they missed.

Lindy says he himself has changed as a coach in terms of Xs and Os.

I could be very wrong, but I think the Sabres just made the playoffs with this hire. The issue is I don't know if it gets them any further. And ultimately, I know making the playoffs is A goal, but not THE goal.

Still, I'm fine with it, and the end of his tenure is ancient history.

OpIv37
04-25-2024, 10:29 AM
I was a little critical at first. There is this idea that Lindy is the same coach today he was in 1997. Or 2012 when Pegula came in and bought high priced free agents and they missed.

Lindy says he himself has changed as a coach in terms of Xs and Os.

I could be very wrong, but I think the Sabres just made the playoffs with this hire. The issue is I don't know if it gets them any further. And ultimately, I know making the playoffs is A goal, but not THE goal.

Still, I'm fine with it, and the end of his tenure is ancient history.

In 22-23, they missed the playoffs by 1 point.
In 23-24, they missed by 7 points.

I think Lindy can find 4 wins. They're not close to being Cup contenders but they are not far from being a playoff team.

JATMtheJATM
04-25-2024, 10:50 AM
In 22-23, they missed the playoffs by 1 point.
In 23-24, they missed by 7 points.

I think Lindy can find 4 wins. They're not close to being Cup contenders but they are not far from being a playoff team.

Depending on roster moves this offseason, you could very well see the Sabres compete to be top 3 in the division. Florida and Boston are going to fall off at some point, and Toronto, if they go down in the first round again, at some point, you have to realize it's the players.

But again, that depends on Adams either opening Pegulas check book or making moves that require some depletion of their prospect pool

ckg927
04-25-2024, 04:05 PM
I know I mentioned Peca earlier on in this thread. How about, instead of him, hire Jay McKee as an assistant? He's more than proven himself as an HC in the OHL(he's worked with Erie(as an assistant), Kitchener(associate, then head coach)and Hamilton(now Brantford)(as HC).

Historian
05-13-2024, 09:22 AM
CUP BOUND!!!!

https://scontent-ord5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/428346798_879489264191556_1475523323648203346_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p526x296&_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=jOJ470AJ17AQ7kNvgEJEMHf&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.xx&oh=00_AYBU7dWOoFD76zdb4zx-BQDfgA2bzw75J-OGM0t142TTjQ&oe=6647E6E5

JATMtheJATM
05-13-2024, 10:10 AM
Appert as a assistant. He's definitely being groomed for the HC role

ckg927
05-13-2024, 11:46 AM
Appert as a assistant. He's definitely being groomed for the HC role
Appert will coach the forwards and handle the PP unit. Mike Bales is also part of the behind the bench staff.

Matt Ellis, who was raked over the coals over his stewardship of the PP unit last season, IS on staff-but he's more of the team's "eye in the sky" up in the press box.

Woodman
05-13-2024, 01:57 PM
We will make the playoffs .... take it to the bank.

DetoxTent
05-13-2024, 02:32 PM
The Sabres coaching staff is now complete. Like the addition of Appert. Will be watching closely to see who they put into Rochester to continue to grow the culture there.

https://media.d3.nhle.com/image/private/t_ratio16_9-size40/f_auto/prd/zd9xjr4txvvqgg5zleoa.jpg

Sabres promote Appert to assistant coach, Gulati to video coordinator (https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-coaching-staff-announcement-seth-appert-assistant-coach-amir-gulati-video-coordinator)

DetoxTent
05-15-2024, 06:20 AM
Ruff will not go so light with them during practices. He will have them playing harder in the first periods in early November. He also will not be afriad to hollar at them when they are slacking.

DetoxTent
05-15-2024, 07:31 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Seth Appert said there were 4 reasons why he chose to join the Sabres&#39; coaching staff:<br><br>1) Opportunity to work/learn from Lindy Ruff.<br>2) Belief in GM Kevyn Adams&#39; vision.<br>3) Trust in ownership&#39;s commitment.<br>4) Coaching players he knows and helping them take the next step.</p>&mdash; Lance Lysowski (@LLysowski) <a href="https://twitter.com/LLysowski/status/1790384297708294297?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 14, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Typ0
05-17-2024, 09:57 AM
That's fair. But Lindy also couldn't win it all with the best goalie (arguably) in NHL history in net either. Bringing Peca in as an assistant probably is a better move, though.

You know the best player on the team not in net sat out a year of that time because the ****ed up management of the team wanted to be the ones to make a stand for the NHL right? And these guys are still paying the price.

Historian is right Ruff coming on board here is exciting. The guy is a good coach. I can't wait to see what he does with the roster either.

JATMtheJATM
05-17-2024, 02:51 PM
You know the best player on the team not in net sat out a year of that time because the ****ed up management of the team wanted to be the ones to make a stand for the NHL right? And these guys are still paying the price.

Historian is right Ruff coming on board here is exciting. The guy is a good coach. I can't wait to see what he does with the roster either.

Peca being signed in 2000-2001 would have sent the Sabres to the SCF. I will die on this hill.

They lost in the second round to the Pens in OT in Game 7. The sabres were the better team. Having Peca play his amazing defense and solid offense would have been the push the Sabres needed to get past Pitt. And the play NJ in the ECF. Buffalo played NJ extremely well that season. I believe they swept the season series (though that matters not, because the Flyers swept the season series, and the Sabres dismantled them in the ECQF)

I still believe Peca was the difference between a conference semi-finalist, and an Eastern Conference Championship and maybe more.