• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Some thoughts on Day 1

Some of this may have been said in the draft thread but I was doing other things while following the draft on my phone/ipad so I didn’t read it.

First, I’m glad we didn’t waste picks to trade up. I think I read that Beane said he tried but couldn’t find the right partner. Don’t care- just happy it didn’t happen. That was good.

Now for the bad, or at least confusing parts:

I don’t know why we would trade with KC. They’ve been a brick wall for us in the playoffs so I don’t know why Beane would do anything that could potentially help them.

From 28 through 32, three WR’s were taken. Two of them were taken by teams that were in the SB last year, so you know they have quality FO’s. I don’t know anything about the players specifically, but I find it strange that other FO’s found them worthy of late first round picks, but ours did not.

Maybe they like someone who fell out of the first and knew they could nab him at 33 tonight? I don’t know- just speculating on why we passed on 3 WR’s that other teams liked.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Some thoughts on Day 1

Even if we didnt trade with KC, they would still end up with Worthy either at 29,30,31 or 32 or if we drafted Worthy ourselves at 28.
    By us trading with them, we get their 3rd rd instead of someone else.
    I am guessing, we traded for more picks because we're going to trade for a receiver.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Woodman
      Legendary Zoner
      • Apr 2014

Brandon Beane- Didn’t matter to us who they were picking

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• sahlensguy
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
        Some of this may have been said in the draft thread but I was doing other things while following the draft on my phone/ipad so I didn’t read it.

First, I’m glad we didn’t waste picks to trade up. I think I read that Beane said he tried but couldn’t find the right partner. Don’t care- just happy it didn’t happen. That was good.

I don’t know why we would trade with KC. They’ve been a brick wall for us in the playoffs so I don’t know why Beane would do anything that could potentially help them.

From 28 through 32, three WR’s were taken. Two of them were taken by teams that were in the SB last year, so you know they have quality FO’s. I don’t know anything about the players specifically, but I find it strange that other FO’s found them worthy of late first round picks, but ours did not.

Maybe they like someone who fell out of the first and knew they could nab him at 33 tonight? I don’t know- just speculating on why we passed on 3 WR’s that other teams liked.
        Good points but it's a day or two early to judge. Let's see what Beane does now with our draft capitol. We could get two good wr prospects instead of one, slightly better, wr prospect.

Comment

• Novacane
          • Jul 2002

He actually said the opposite. He did not try and trade up.

Comment

• jamze132
            Don’t hate…
            • Jun 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
            Even if we didnt trade with KC, they would still end up with Worthy either at 29,30,31 or 32 or if we drafted Worthy ourselves at 28.
            By us trading with them, we get their 3rd rd instead of someone else.
            I am guessing, we traded for more picks because we're going to trade for a receiver.
            KC’s front office knows what they’re doing. We should have had interest in that same player yet we let KC jump us yet again. Didn’t work out too good the last time…

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
              Good points but it's a day or two early to judge. Let's see what Beane does now with our draft capitol. We could get two good wr prospects instead of one, slightly better, wr prospect.
              Oh it’s def too early to judge. Beane has a lot of picks over the next two days. He can still get some good players and he still could potentially trade the pick for an existing player (although the cap situation makes that unlikely).

I’m not passing judgment yet. I’m just a little confused as to why our draft board was so much different than others in terms of the WR’s available at the end of the first
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• kgun12
                • Jul 2002

The two teams that drafted those WR’s had know glaring needs at other positions so the Chiefs could take the chance on his speed and 49ers I will say got a decent pick but it might have been a reach because Aiyuk or Debo might be on the move.
                Retired Air Traffic Controller
                USAF VETERAN
                DAV

Comment

• kgun12
                  • Jul 2002

Watching the Pat Mac show Mike Lombardi the 3x SB GM says plan and simple the Bills didn't like any of the WR's taken and there are sone really good WR’s left that can help the Bills.
                  Retired Air Traffic Controller
                  USAF VETERAN
                  DAV

Comment

• tomz
                    • Feb 2007

Oh it’s def too early to judge. Beane has a lot of picks over the next two days. He can still get some good players and he still could potentially trade the pick for an existing player (although the cap situation makes that unlikely).

I’m not passing judgment yet. I’m just a little confused as to why our draft board was so much different than others in terms of the WR’s available at the end of the first
                    System fits? Worthy was probably not the type the Bills wanted so he was probably lower on the board. Pearsall came out of nowhere--must be something specific to what the 9ers like in a receiver. Legette is a one year wonder with some issues with drops--there are others who seem more solid (AD Mitchell, McConkey even) so trading down one pick to jump a full round seemed reasonable.

It will be interesting to see if they go WR right away or go for DeJean who is suggested to be catnip for McDermott--just his type of safety with versatility and smarts.

At any rate, they did yield quite a bit of upward mobility in later picks for very modest trades down.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                      • Mar 2015

There was a time when Bill Belichick's drafts were put on a pedestal because he was Bill Belichick. I'm not ready to put late round wide receiver pics on a pedestal because they were made by good teams.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by tomz View Post
                        System fits? Worthy was probably not the type the Bills wanted so he was probably lower on the board. Pearsall came out of nowhere--must be something specific to what the 9ers like in a receiver. Legette is a one year wonder with some issues with drops--there are others who seem more solid (AD Mitchell, McConkey even) so trading down one pick to jump a full round seemed reasonable.

It will be interesting to see if they go WR right away or go for DeJean who is suggested to be catnip for McDermott--just his type of safety with versatility and smarts.

At any rate, they did yield quite a bit of upward mobility in later picks for very modest trades down.

I would rather have Dejean than Mitchell or McConkey. Get a WR later, there will be some available.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• sukie
                          Seriously?
                          • Sep 2012

Op, you cannot possibly include legette in you 3 WR taken between 28-32. I agree that we didn’t want Worthy so to move up 40 spots to get into the 3rd and 20 spots later was stealing from KC. We were not gonna draft him

Legette went BECAUSE we didn’t want him so we robbed Carolina as well.

Now you have Franklin Mitchell and McConkey sitting there with better picks to follow and a chance to move up with all those 5s

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
                            KC’s front office knows what they’re doing. We should have had interest in that same player yet we let KC jump us yet again. Didn’t work out too good the last time…
                            Not arguing whether KC knows what they are doing. They know more than us but Beane didn't know what KC was drafting Worthy from what I understand. Beane obviously felt Worthy is not a fit.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• tomz
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                              I would rather have Dejean than Mitchell or McConkey. Get a WR later, there will be some available.
                              Agreed.

Comment

Working...
                              X