PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Recaps 2024 NFL Draft

Woodman
04-27-2024, 06:52 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bpzzBs0z5XA?si=rlbko36GpTnvgZZD" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sahlensguy
04-27-2024, 07:17 PM
Lucky Coleman fell back to him. Bishop was a good pick. Everything else besides the center was a disaster.

Novacane
04-27-2024, 07:19 PM
Lucky Coleman fell back to him. Bishop was a good pick. Everything else besides the center was a disaster.

lol. How in the hell do we know that now.

sahlensguy
04-27-2024, 07:23 PM
lol. How in the hell do we know that now.

The draft strategy was horrible. Lucked into Coleman who we forfeited the 5th year option on. Bishop was a solid pick. 3rd and 4th rounders are backups at best. Drafted a guy who's never played a snap - over Rice? My hell.

direbills
04-27-2024, 10:45 PM
??? What are you talking about?

Mad Max
04-27-2024, 11:02 PM
??? What are you talking about?

37 posts in 22 years. You pick your spots don’t you?

Goobylal
04-28-2024, 09:35 AM
The draft strategy was horrible. Lucked into Coleman who we forfeited the 5th year option on. Bishop was a solid pick. 3rd and 4th rounders are backups at best. Drafted a guy who's never played a snap - over Rice? My hell.

It's way too early for these predictions. I like the promise many of the draft picks have. Some had Carter as the 3rd best DT in the draft and some had Davis as the best RB in the draft. The 5th round DE led FBS in sacks last year. The C will be a starter sooner than later and anchored the UGA line the past 3 seasons (2 of them championship ones). Even the 6th and later picks have promise as 2 are 300#+ guys who run a sub-4.85 40. I didn't get the 5th round LB but I said the same thing about Bernard. I'm not saying they'll all or mostly hit, but it's not like they picked a bunch of scrubs.

As for WR, I never expected them to draft more than 1. And as for Rice, teams passed him over again and again. You could easily get what he'll produce this year from any of the FA WRs still out there (and I'm hoping they sign someone).

sahlensguy
04-28-2024, 11:19 AM
It's way too early for these predictions. I like the promise many of the draft picks have. Some had Carter as the 3rd best DT in the draft and some had Davis as the best RB in the draft. The 5th round DE led FBS in sacks last year. The C will be a starter sooner than later and anchored the UGA line the past 3 seasons (2 of them championship ones). Even the 6th and later picks have promise as 2 are 300#+ guys who run a sub-4.85 40. I didn't get the 5th round LB but I said the same thing about Bernard. I'm not saying they'll all or mostly hit, but it's not like they picked a bunch of scrubs.

As for WR, I never expected them to draft more than 1. And as for Rice, teams passed him over again and again. You could easily get what he'll produce this year from any of the FA WRs still out there (and I'm hoping they sign someone).

C'mon. Beane burnt draft capitol for a guy who never played a snap of football. This is where you take football players who are kickers, track stars or grocery cashiers. Anything but non football players. That cool aid is strong to explain this away.

Goobylal
04-28-2024, 12:29 PM
C'mon. Beane burnt draft capitol for a guy who never played a snap of football. This is where you take football players who are kickers, track stars or grocery cashiers. Anything but non football players. That cool aid is strong to explain this away.

First of all, he used a 7th rounder, the vast majority of which don't make an NFL roster (like Rice probably won't) anyway. Second of all, he's 6'7" and 301# and ran a 4.79 40-yard dash. Third, he gives the Bills an extra PS spot. If Clayton had been a 6th or earlier rounder, or some guy without anything special about him, I'd agree with you.

As for Rice, I'd like to know why he fell to the 7th round?

sahlensguy
04-28-2024, 12:42 PM
First of all, he used a 7th rounder, the vast majority of which don't make an NFL roster (like Rice probably won't) anyway. Second of all, he's 6'7" and 301# and ran a 4.79 40-yard dash. Third, he gives the Bills an extra PS spot. If Clayton had been a 6th or earlier rounder, or some guy without anything special about him, I'd agree with you.

As for Rice, I'd like to know why he fell to the 7th round?

If the were so enamoured with a 6' 7" guy who could run they could have drafted Johnny Wilson and his 4.52 in the 5th. You know, like an actual football player. This was a throw away pick for pr purposes.

Mad Max
04-28-2024, 01:22 PM
If the were so enamoured with a 6' 7" guy who could run they could have drafted Johnny Wilson and his 4.52 in the 5th. You know, like an actual football player. This was a throw away pick for pr purposes.

This is a dollar lottery ticket with much greater odds of success.

I love it. This dude has what you can’t teach/learn in terms of his size/speed and athleticism (I’m sure he’s strong as a bull too).

He’s also going to learn a position that just isn’t that hard to learn. He won’t be running routes, swim moves, calling defenses, reading defenses etc. He’s going to stand up quickly shuffle his feet and try to keep the guy in front of him from getting around him for 3-4 seconds. Not rocket science.

Conversions happen all the time , OL to DL, DL to OL, QB to WR and this is in the NFL. It happens frequently in high school and college. The Bills themselves did it with a UDFA TE and turned him into an All Pro LT.

Just like the rest of the draft we’ll know in three years.

Jordan Mailata did it why can’t Travis? For the cost of a selection that rarely makes a roster much less become a difference maker it’s well worth the tiny expense.

Goobylal
04-28-2024, 01:24 PM

So really, you're just upset that with their 7th round pick they took a project OL over a WR, with neither likely amounting to much?

sahlensguy
04-28-2024, 01:28 PM
So really, you're just upset that with their 7th round pick they took a project OL over a WR, with neither likely amounting to much?

A 7th rounder on its own means very little. This draft was a D after the 1st two picks.

YardRat
04-28-2024, 01:45 PM
Do we still get the ps roster exemption if the player is drafted?

Goobylal
04-28-2024, 01:53 PM
A 7th rounder on its own means very little. This draft was a D after the 1st two picks.

Grading a draft after it happens is a fool's errand. Remember the 2022 draft? It looked like a total joke. We ended up getting 3 starters and would have had a punter.

YardRat
04-28-2024, 03:22 PM
Grading a draft after it happens is a fool's errand. Remember the 2022 draft? It looked like a total joke. We ended up getting 3 starters and would have had a punter.

Grading a draft right after it happens isn't grading for performance, I don't know why anybody thinks it is or should be.

Woodman
04-28-2024, 08:39 PM
:soap:

This is what I have to say about that.

We killed this draft absolutely killed it.

Now have a nice day.

:gobills:

sahlensguy
04-28-2024, 11:56 PM
:soap:

This is what I have to say about that.

We killed this draft absolutely killed it.

Now have a nice day.

:gobills:

Put a fork in it!

Woodman
04-30-2024, 07:18 AM

Maybe we got it right (2024 Draft) maybe we didn't we'll know in a couple years.

Woodman
04-30-2024, 08:43 AM

One of the biggest mistakes that NFL teams can make in the draft is to reach for a player because he fills a position of need, drafting him higher than his talent justifies in a desperate attempt to find a Day One impact player. That’s a mistake that Eagles General Manager Howie Roseman says he won’t make.

Goobylal
04-30-2024, 09:17 AM
One of the biggest mistakes that NFL teams can make in the draft is to reach for a player because he fills a position of need, drafting him higher than his talent justifies in a desperate attempt to find a Day One impact player. That’s a mistake that Eagles General Manager Howie Roseman says he won’t make.

I don't put too much stock in that. If a player busts, the 20/20 hindsight kicks in and "he was taken too early" is thrown around. If he booms, you don't hear a peep about where he was taken.

Woodman
04-30-2024, 09:24 AM
If he booms, you don't hear a peep about where he was taken.
Except we all know Tom Brady was pick #199 .... 6th round ........ we sure hear about that one over and over and over again. Another one would be Tyreek Hill he was drafted in the 5th round ..... we hear that almost everyday as well.

Bill Cody
04-30-2024, 10:17 AM
Put a fork in it!

you must be fun at parties

Bill Cody
04-30-2024, 10:22 AM
I have decided to adopt Travis Clayton as my personal binky. I just love the story.

I did this once before and it worked out ok. The guy's name was Jason Peters. Peters was a huge, freak athlete with no real position. The Bills signed him as an UDFA. They tried him at TE where he had some experience and he had trouble memorizing the playbook. So they moved him to the OL. His next stop is Canton.

Odds of Clayton amounting to anything are low. But just the notion of a 305 lb man running a 4.7 40 is fascinating. I'm in.

sahlensguy
04-30-2024, 10:23 AM
you must be fun at parties

:rofl:

Woodman
04-30-2024, 10:29 AM
I have decided to adopt Travis Clayton as my personal binky. I just love the story.

I did this once before and it worked out ok. The guy's name was Jason Peters. Peters was a huge, freak athlete with no real position. The Bills signed him as an UDFA. They tried him at TE where he had some experience and he had trouble memorizing the playbook. So they moved him to the OL. His next stop is Canton.

Odds of Clayton amounting to anything are low. But just the notion of a 305 lb man running a 4.7 40 is fascinating. I'm in.

He played rugby .... can you imagine him running right at you with bad intentions?

:thurm2:

Bill Cody
04-30-2024, 10:39 AM
He played rugby .... can you imagine him running right at you with bad intentions?

:thurm2:

He would run me over like a compactor

This is like a novice taking a pottery class. The instructor gives you a block of clay and a wheel and shows you how to make a vase or whatever. This guy doesn't know what he doesn't know. He has to change his body and learn American football from square one. The good news is you get the exemption and he has time to develop. Or not. Probably didn't need to draft him but we did. Interested to see what he has.

sahlensguy
04-30-2024, 12:19 PM

Yeah I remember Mouldsie pumping us up us up about Jason Peters, before we sign them. And then in preseason, Jason Peters blocked a punt by the falcons rushing from the interior, recovered it, and returned it for a TD. Since then I always thought he was miscast by not putting him on the defensive line. Oh well I guess he did pretty good for himself.

Woodman
04-30-2024, 12:40 PM
He would run me over like a compactor

This is like a novice taking a pottery class. The instructor gives you a block of clay and a wheel and shows you how to make a vase or whatever. This guy doesn't know what he doesn't know. He has to change his body and learn American football from square one. The good news is you get the exemption and he has time to develop. Or not. Probably didn't need to draft him but we did. Interested to see what he has.

This guy is 23 ... he has a shot .... but it will definitely take time .... I think.:birds:

Mad Max
04-30-2024, 01:24 PM
Yeah I remember Mouldsie pumping us up us up about Jason Peters, before we sign them. And then in preseason, Jason Peters blocked a punt by the falcons rushing from the interior, recovered it, and returned it for a TD. Since then I always thought he was miscast by not putting him on the defensive line. Oh well I guess he did pretty good for himself.

He wasn’t miscast but he WAS underutilized.

So many teams have used special packages for defensive players on offense (and vice versa), Vrabel, Bryan Cox, Edelman, JJ Watt, The Fridge, Deon…

Your best players can/should learn a secondary role for certain situations.

Mad Max
04-30-2024, 01:30 PM

I’ve been on record for liking the pick. It’s a lottery pick for sure but just as with a lottery pick comes with a huge upside.

sahlensguy
04-30-2024, 01:35 PM
He wasn’t miscast but he WAS underutilized.

So many teams have used special packages for defensive players on offense (and vice versa), Vrabel, Bryan Cox, Edelman, JJ Watt, The Fridge, Deon…

Your best players can/should learn a secondary role for certain situations.

I mean, I'm not going to argue that a sure to be Hall of Fame player, playing at a position that he didn't come in the league playing, was underutilized, but I get your point. Guy was a monster who could really move.

All I remember is I thought he could be the next Bruce Smith and was sure disappointed when they put him on the OL. Haha

Ed
04-30-2024, 01:37 PM
They drafted 10 players. Using their 10th pick on player that's eligible for a roster exemption makes sense considering any other 7th rounder at that point is going to have little chance to make the team.

One of my favorite moves that I don't think is getting enough attention is that Beane was able to trade one of their four 5th rounders for the Bears 4th round pick next year.

sahlensguy
04-30-2024, 01:40 PM
They drafted 10 players. Using their 10th pick on player that's eligible for a roster exemption makes sense considering any other 7th rounder at that point is going to have little chance to make the team.

One of my favorite moves that I don't think is getting enough attention is that Beane was able to trade one of their four 5th rounders for the Bears 4th round pick next year.

Yeah let's hope the Bears suck again!

Mad Max
04-30-2024, 02:52 PM
I mean, I'm not going to argue that a sure to be Hall of Fame player, playing at a position that he didn't come in the league playing, was underutilized, but I get your point. Guy was a monster who could really move.

All I remember is I thought he could be the next Bruce Smith and was sure disappointed when they put him on the OL. Haha

you can argue the word but the definition means not being used to fullest potential.

that could mean 50% or 2% underutilized…you know I was referring to the 2%

sahlensguy
04-30-2024, 03:03 PM
you can argue the word but the definition means not being used to fullest potential.

that could mean 50% or 2% underutilized…you know I was referring to the 2%

Hey I would have liked to see it but I don't know if that 2% at another position would a compromised him getting to the Hall of Fame at his one position or not.

I'm not going to second guess those who guided him to the Hall.

sahlensguy
04-30-2024, 03:05 PM

Chet
04-30-2024, 04:13 PM
Initial draft grade is puke.

This was an awful board, hopefully the Center pans out because the rest are plumbers and furniture movers.

Maybe we get lucky and Coleman is crazy-skilled but just slow like D-Hop or Brandon Marshall. Either way, we drafted a guy to be our #1 who has the 40 speed of an edge rusher.

I would make a Koolaid joke about now but no spiked Koolaid in the world could conjure up some of these positive outlooks. The city of Buffalo clearly has a good package in town. Maybe some Blue Magic or WMD. Be careful out there guys…don’t forget to grab some naloxone from CVS before you ride the H train

Bill Cody
04-30-2024, 04:22 PM

I'm sure he could have played D line. Physical freak

Goobylal
04-30-2024, 05:21 PM

This was an awful board, hopefully the Center pans out because the rest are plumbers and furniture movers.

Maybe we get lucky and Coleman is crazy-skilled but just slow like D-Hop or Brandon Marshall. Either way, we drafted a guy to be our #1 who has the 40 speed of an edge rusher.

I would make a Koolaid joke about now but no spiked Koolaid in the world could conjure up some of these positive outlooks. The city of Buffalo clearly has a good package in town. Maybe some Blue Magic or WMD. Be careful out there guys…don’t forget to grab some naloxone from CVS before you ride the H train

It's more likely they get 2-3 immediate starters (Coleman, Bishop and Van Pran-Granger) and several other major contributors than just the center panning out. :rolleyes:

Mad Max
04-30-2024, 05:33 PM

You’ve made it your job to jab at your nemesis haven’t you.

you are constantly chumming hahaha

Chet
05-01-2024, 01:41 PM
It's more likely they get 2-3 immediate starters (Coleman, Bishop and Van Pran-Granger) and several other major contributors than just the center panning out. :rolleyes:
I’ll bet you $100 only Coleman of those 3 is starting Week 1 regular season

Goobylal
05-01-2024, 09:30 PM

You're on.

sahlensguy
05-01-2024, 09:35 PM
Wow. I'm not sure Coleman starts wk 1.

Chet
05-01-2024, 10:07 PM
You're on.

Good man. Deal

YardRat
05-02-2024, 05:19 AM
I would be surprised if Granger is an immediate starter at center, it kind of sounds like they have that 'promised' to McGregor. And he'll have to beat out Collins for left guard.

DetoxTent
05-02-2024, 05:54 AM
You're on.

You're crazy if you think Pran-Granger is going to be a starter. Not happening in any other situation than injury.

DetoxTent
05-02-2024, 05:55 AM
I would be surprised if Granger is an immediate starter at center, it kind of sounds like they have that 'promised' to McGregor. And he'll have to beat out Collins for left guard.
Watch that Cosell video that Mad Max posted in a contiguous thread. The Bills have thier eyes on his ability to play guard.

YardRat
05-02-2024, 06:00 AM
Watch that Cosell video that Mad Max posted in a contiguous thread. The Bills have thier eyes on his ability to play guard.

That would be the likeliest path to starting, but he still has to beat out a couple of vets.

Goobylal
05-02-2024, 07:20 AM

Yup, they've promised it to McGovern. But there's an outside chance he wins it and they want McGovern back at LG. VPG has short arms and is said to be strictly a center, despite what they're saying about also playing him at OG. And that's fine if he's only a center. So was Morse.

You're crazy if you think Pran-Granger is going to be a starter. Not happening in any other situation than injury.

I agree and that's why I said "2-3" and agreed to a bet of 2 starters.

notacon
05-02-2024, 12:34 PM

It sure looks that at the least those three will be starters if not from day 1, sometime this season.

Coleman is going to be a day 1 starter at the X WR spot. Bishop almost assuredly will be starting S next to Rapp...if not game one then very soon there fater, McD is known for not oputting too much pressure on rookies right away.

i suspect Van Pran-Granger will push McGovern at C. It will be one of the training camp competitions to keep an eye on. Van Pran-Granger will (hopefully) become the long term starter if not this year then in 2025.

Goobylal
05-02-2024, 03:09 PM
It sure looks that at the least those three will be starters if not from day 1, sometime this season.

Coleman is going to be a day 1 starter at the X WR spot. Bishop almost assuredly will be starting S next to Rapp...if not game one then very soon there fater, McD is known for not oputting too much pressure on rookies right away.

i suspect Van Pran-Granger will push McGovern at C. It will be one of the training camp competitions to keep an eye on. Van Pran-Granger will (hopefully) become the long term starter if not this year then in 2025.

Yeah, I also expect Coleman and Bishop to be opening day starters. Van Pran-Granger might take into the season, if not next year because McGovern has been itching to play center for years (pre-dating the Bills) and they promised him he would, and you know how they are.

I'm also interested to see how Davis, Solomon and Carter do. I've read promising things about each of them.

Woodman
05-05-2024, 09:31 AM

If none start you lose.

Woodman
05-05-2024, 09:35 AM
If none start you lose.

You also lose if anybody else starts .... Coleman only is specific.

Your money bud :cheers:

notacon
05-05-2024, 12:13 PM
Yeah, I also expect Coleman and Bishop to be opening day starters. Van Pran-Granger might take into the season, if not next year because McGovern has been itching to play center for years (pre-dating the Bills) and they promised him he would, and you know how they are.

I'm also interested to see how Davis, Solomon and Carter do. I've read promising things about each of them.

The McGovern vs Van Pran-Granger training camp competition is going to be one to watch.

I suspect that McGovern will probably be day one starter because of his NFL vet experience. Stepping into a starting center position (actually, any starting position in the NFL) for a rookie in the NFL is daunting to say the least.

Chet
05-05-2024, 12:13 PM
If none start you lose.
If none start the Bills are the real losers

Chet
05-05-2024, 12:14 PM
You also lose if anybody else starts .... Coleman only is specific.

Your money bud :cheers:
We’re betting peanuts so I’m cool with the homer qualifiers in this particular case

Woodman
05-05-2024, 01:02 PM
If none start the Bills are the real losers
Depends really .... right now that starting lineup especially at the WR position is wide wide open .... I'd pencil in Shakir and see how it goes from there.

The open competition and the fact that 2 starters from last year are no longer a factor is encouraging to everybody else in that room.

Woodman
05-05-2024, 01:04 PM
We’re betting peanuts so I’m cool with the homer qualifiers in this particular case

Fun bet Chet :cheers:

All the very best to our Bills is all I give a s hit about.

Chet
05-05-2024, 02:24 PM
Fun bet Chet :cheers:
All the very best to our Bills is all I give a s hit about.
Mate I’d give a kidney for a Bills SB. This “always a bridesmaid” **** is for losers who lead ambition-less lives.

Win a SB, nothing else matters in the game

Goobylal
05-08-2024, 05:19 PM
The McGovern vs Van Pran-Granger training camp competition is going to be one to watch.

I suspect that McGovern will probably be day one starter because of his NFL vet experience. Stepping into a starting center position (actually, any starting position in the NFL) for a rookie in the NFL is daunting to say the least.

I hope they make it a true competition at center. While McGovern has NFL experience, he hasn’t played there yet in the NFL and Van Pran has for the past seven years and against NFL caliber competition at times.

Woodman
05-08-2024, 09:39 PM
Which rookies will contribute immediately for Bills?

There are going to be ample opportunities for Buffalo’s rookies to step in and play from day one, and today’s edition of the Buffalo Rumblinks leads off by examining which of Buffalo’s rookies appear likely to contribute immediately for the Bills.

With the offseason departures at wide receiver, Keon Coleman seems destined to land a role as one of Buffalo’s top three wideouts, while Cole Bishop will have a golden opportunity to earn a starting spot at safety and DeWayne Carter should be able to contribute along the defensive line. Linked here: Which rookies appear poised to play significant snaps from the get-go, why head coach Sean McDermott and the Bills may need to get instant production from Coleman, Bishop, and Carter, how Buffalo’s rookies fit in with the team, and more!

Which rookies can contribute immediately for the Buffalo Bills in 2024? - Buffalo Rumblings (https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2024/5/6/24150160/buffalo-rumblinks-56-which-rookies-contribute-immediately-keon-coleman-cole-bishop-dewayne-carter)