PDA

View Full Version : List your favorite three picks of the 2024 draft in order and why

Mad Max
04-27-2024, 06:57 PM
1.) Cole Bishop- boy has size, speed and instincts
2.) Sedrick Van Pran-Granger- 1419 snaps with one sack. That’ll work.
3.) Travis Clayton- the least likely to ever play a down out of this group but imagine the upside. Jordan Mailata part deux? We turned a chunky UDFA TE from Arkansas to an All-Pro LT so why not?

sahlensguy
04-27-2024, 07:19 PM
Coleman - beast
Bishop - wise
Sedrick - need

That's it. Good thing you only wanted 3.

Mad Max
04-27-2024, 07:23 PM
Coleman - beast
Bishop - wise
Sedrick - need

That's it. Good thing you only wanted 3.

Ya any more than that in this one may be a bridge too far.

But I guess “we’ll only know for sure in three years” and maybe 5-6 turn out to be winners? At least we have that to keep us warm.

sahlensguy
04-27-2024, 07:27 PM
Ya any more than that in this one may be a bridge too far.

But I guess “we’ll only know for sure in three years” and maybe 5-6 turn out to be winners? At least we have that to keep us warm.

We actually drafted a guy who's never played a snap - like football is a video game like how the Gran Turismo kid rose to win an actual car race. What?

Mad Max
04-27-2024, 07:37 PM
We actually drafted a guy who's never played a snap - like football is a video game like how the Gran Turismo kid rose to win an actual car race. What?

I’m actually better with that lottery ticket than most of the rest.

At least there’s huge upside if it hits. If not who cares, it was only a seventh rounder.

Novacane
04-27-2024, 07:45 PM
Coleman is going to break all of Jerry Rice's records. You heard it here first!

Mad Max
04-27-2024, 07:47 PM
Coleman is going to break all of Jerry Rice's records. You heard it here first!

If I were a post clipping donkey I’d clip this post!

YardRat
04-28-2024, 12:22 PM
I agree with Bishop and Granger, don't really have a third. I'll be rooting my ass for Coleman because I have to, though.

Woodman
04-28-2024, 12:27 PM
1) Coleman WR
2) Bishop S
3) Davis RB

Would love a few more to surprise all of us in a good way .......... but it's a wait and see sorta thing.

Mad Max
04-28-2024, 01:39 PM
I agree with Bishop and Granger, don't really have a third. I'll be rooting my ass for Coleman because I have to, though.

I hope we hit a homer with all of them. But my feeling is that when it’s all said and done there won’t be any superstars out of this group, rather mostly backups and role players (if we’re lucky). They played it safe with a bunch of guys that might have higher floors but limited ceilings as well. A bunch of older guys too at 23-24.

A draft “haul” of try-hards.

I hope I’m astonishingly off base.

sukie
04-28-2024, 02:33 PM
The Flying Dutchman C could become something . Especially with the Irishman by his side

Mad Max
04-28-2024, 02:38 PM
The Flying Dutchman C could become something . Especially with the Irishman by his side
If his skills match the length of his name we’ll be cooking.

notacon
04-30-2024, 11:05 AM
My "favorite three picks" are the first three the Bills made. All SOLID picks (at least form what we know today).

1. Keon Coleman is EXACTLY what this team and Josh Allen needs. No wonder that Josh said that Keon is who he wanted. Keon is going to catch a LOT of TD's and a LOT of critical passes in the Red Zone. His locker presence is 100% opposite of the whiny, diva Diggs.

2. Cole Bishop is another example of EXACTLY what the Bills need. Smart, fast with leadership qualities.

3. DeWayne Carter - another example of EXACTLY what the Bills need. Should be an immediate rotational DT behind Oliver.

A shout out to 4th round pick, Ray Davis. Every report is this kid plays angry. Sure looks like he will be a contributor immediately.

sahlensguy
04-30-2024, 11:32 AM
My "favorite three picks" are the first three the Bills made. All SOLID picks (at least form what we know today).

1. Keon Coleman is EXACTLY what this team and Josh Allen needs. No wonder that Josh said that Keon is who he wanted. Keon is going to catch a LOT of TD's and a LOT of critical passes in the Red Zone. His locker presence is 100% opposite of the whiny, diva Diggs.

2. Cole Bishop is another example of EXACTLY what the Bills need. Smart, fast with leadership qualities.

3. DeWayne Carter - another example of EXACTLY what the Bills need. Should be an immediate rotational DT behind Oliver.

A shout out to 4th round pick, Ray Davis. Every report is this kid plays angry. Sure looks like he will be a contributor immediately.
Well I would not say that Coleman is exactly what Josh needs. The strengths and weaknesses of each player don't exactly mesh. Did you watch the Cover21 analysis of Coleman that was posted today?

Coleman doesn't create the seperation that you see in the best recievers, and Josh likes to throw to recievers who flash open where he rifles the ball to. I remember Josh's 1st preseason when nearly every pass was to a curl route or stop route, where the reciverss back was to the endzone. Josh has of course has progressed a lot but laying the ball up for contested catches, isn't what he does. And right now, contested catches is Coleman's strength. His weakness is route running and getting seperation. I'm not saying that he can't learn to do it, but as of now he's not exactly the type of reciever that Josh needs.

notacon
04-30-2024, 11:40 AM
Well I would not say that Coleman is exactly what Josh needs. The strengths and weaknesses of each player don't exactly mesh. Did you watch the Cover21 analysis of Coleman that was posted today?

Coleman doesn't create the seperation that you see in the best recievers, and Josh likes to throw to recievers who flash open where he rifles the ball to. I remember Josh's 1st preseason when nearly every pass was to a curl route or stop route, where the reciverss back was to the endzone. Josh has of course has progressed a lot but laying the ball up for contested catches, isn't what he does. And right now, contested catches is Coleman's strength. His weakness is route running and getting seperation. I'm not saying that he can't learn to do it, but as of now he's not exactly the type of reciever that Josh needs.
You'll see when the season starts, and especially in the playoffs.

JOSH ALLEN certainly thinks that Colemen is exactly what he needs.

sahlensguy
04-30-2024, 11:48 AM
You'll see when the season starts, and especially in the playoffs.

JOSH ALLEN certainly thinks that Colemen is exactly what he needs.

Keep in mind, Coleman is still raw. Far from a finished product. I like the pick but my expectations will be tempered for at least oh I don't know, through training camp?

notacon
05-01-2024, 11:11 AM
Keep in mind, Coleman is still raw. Far from a finished product. I like the pick but my expectations will be tempered for at least oh I don't know, through training camp?
Pretty much the majority of draft picks are "still raw. Far from a finished product." So what?

Interesting that that day after I wrote "Keon Coleman is EXACTLY what this team and Josh Allen needs.", ESPN's Matt Miler wrote (https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/40056466/2024-nfl-draft-ranking-top-100-picks-best-steals-team-fits-trades)almost the exact same thing....

One of the most obvious picks in every mock draft was the Bills selecting a wide receiver. Coleman was a solid value at No. 33 (after two trade-backs) with seven receivers off the board in the first round, and with his size and post-up ability, he's exactly what Buffalo and quarterback Josh Allen wanted. Coleman's ability to win on 50-50 balls and create yards after the catch will help the Bills replace Stefon Diggs and Gabe Davis.

I believe that Coleman being "far from a finished product" (and so young) is an advantage. Joe Brady & Josh can mold him into the WR they want.

The only reason the Coleman dropped is because of his 40 time. Again...so what??? As Alaina Getzenberg (ESPN's Bills beat reporter) observes (https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40058928/where-2024-buffalo-bills-roster-stands-nfl-draft)...

His 4.61 40-yard dash time contributed to his drop, but the Bills put in the research and believe it isn't representative of his game speed. He reached 20.4 mph top speed in the gauntlet drill -- which tests how receivers catch multiple passes and maintain speed while running in a straight line -- the best by any receiver over the past two seasons, per Next Gen Stats.

"I don't think I've ever been caught from behind. I don't think I've ever had the chance to not be able to run by somebody," Coleman said. "More so than that, I don't think there was ever just one DB that just sat when I was running at them, so that pretty much tells you all you need to know."

EVERY draft pick is an unknown as to how they will perform in the NFL. Keon Coleman has all the tools to be an extremely effective WR for the Bills.

sahlensguy
05-01-2024, 12:15 PM
Pretty much the majority of draft picks are "still raw. Far from a finished product." So what?

Interesting that that day after I wrote "Keon Coleman is EXACTLY what this team and Josh Allen needs.", ESPN's Matt Miler wrote (https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/40056466/2024-nfl-draft-ranking-top-100-picks-best-steals-team-fits-trades)almost the exact same thing....

I believe that Coleman being "far from a finished product" (and so young) is an advantage. Joe Brady & Josh can mold him into the WR they want.

The only reason the Coleman dropped is because of his 40 time. Again...so what??? As Alaina Getzenberg (ESPN's Bills beat reporter) observes (https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40058928/where-2024-buffalo-bills-roster-stands-nfl-draft)...

EVERY draft pick is an unknown as to how they will perform in the NFL. Keon Coleman has all the tools to be an extremely effective WR for the Bills.

Brother...you said "need", Matt Miller said "wanted". Big difference.

Speed is definitely not the only reason Coleman didn't get drafted higher. Lack of seperation is another.

Sure, Brady can mold him. His skills don't mesh with Josh's skills, yet. The molding won't happen right away. Definitely not by the beginning of the season.

notacon
05-02-2024, 12:37 PM
Brother...you said "need", Matt Miller said "wanted". Big difference.

Speed is definitely not the only reason Coleman didn't get drafted higher. Lack of seperation is another.

Sure, Brady can mold him. His skills don't mesh with Josh's skills, yet. The molding won't happen right away. Definitely not by the beginning of the season.

No, it's not. Sorry, but it's a distinction without a difference.

sahlensguy
05-02-2024, 12:48 PM
No, it's not. Sorry, but it's a distinction without a difference.

Why not? Because what Josh wants is what the Bills or he need?

Please. This is the same guy who threw to the end zone on the first play after the 2:00 warning against the Chiefs.

We can be our own worst enemy, sometimes.

Oaf
05-02-2024, 03:04 PM

I agree with this for the most part. Josh did throw some 50-50 balls to Diggs and Davis in the EZ (mostly Diggs) that they couldn't come up with. But he mostly sees it open, throws it in there.

sahlensguy
05-02-2024, 03:18 PM
I agree with this for the most part. Josh did throw some 50-50 balls to Diggs and Davis in the EZ (mostly Diggs) that they couldn't come up with. But he mostly sees it open, throws it in there.

I think we've seen that's who Josh is. Especially early on it was blatantly obvious.

Side note: Remember Josh's first pass from scrimmage as a Bill? - play action bomb down the left sideline. Caught, just a yard out of bounds.

It's been a wild ride, trying to reign in all that ability ever since.

:40 seconds in. Most electrifying preseason incompletion ever:

https://youtu.be/f2q_jXSLQYs?si=AR90Ag97d7wHF1q7

Mad Max
05-02-2024, 04:53 PM
I think we've seen that's who Josh is. Especially early on it was blatantly obvious.

Side note: Remember Josh's first pass from scrimmage as a Bill? - play action bomb down the left sideline. Caught, just a yard out of bounds.

It's been a wild ride, trying to reign in all that ability ever since.

:40 seconds in. Most electrifying preseason incompletion ever:

https://youtu.be/f2q_jXSLQYs?si=AR90Ag97d7wHF1q7

60+ yard bomb first play hahah
“they loveee the incompletion”
That’s our boy!

sahlensguy
05-02-2024, 05:42 PM
60+ yard bomb first play hahah
“they loveee the incompletion”
That’s our boy!

I know I did.

Well minus the throwing it out of bounds, part. Reminiscent of JP throwing a bomb out of the back of the endzone against the Steelers, to an open receiver.

It was play action, too. That really sold it. Then launched it effortlessly into the stratosphere. Josh did lead the league in yards off of play action, for a time too. If I remember right. Just a crazy talent and I was hooked.

Mad Max
05-02-2024, 05:53 PM
I know I did.

Well minus the throwing it out of bounds, part. Reminiscent of JP throwing a bomb out of the back of the endzone against the Steelers, to an open receiver.

It was play action, too. That really sold it. Then launched it effortlessly into the stratosphere. Josh did lead the league in yards off of play action, for a time too. If I remember right. Just a crazy talent and I was hooked.
It took me the better part of a season to jump on the bandwagon. The trauma from so many previous big armed busters haunted my expectations.

sahlensguy
05-02-2024, 05:58 PM
It took me the better part of a season to jump on the bandwagon. The trauma from so many previous big armed busters haunted my expectations.

I didn't like the pick at first but the more I watched his pro day workout - which had some play action clips in it, I thought we might have something. And then to see that 1st play, I was sold.we had something good.

Chet
05-04-2024, 02:20 AM

You should be selling timeshares

notacon
05-04-2024, 11:14 AM
You should be selling timeshares
You would be the perfect sucker to buy one.

notacon
05-05-2024, 11:36 AM
BTW Chet, I'm curious on why you think my reasonable observation are like "selling timeshares"???

Seriously.

It's rather obvious that the Bills made these picks because that would be in the best interests of the team. Of course, you have already let it be known that you believe the team should be gutted, only keeping Josh Allen and Diggs (THAT ship has sailed thankfully...the Bills sure ignored you silly advice) and any player on a rookie contract and the coaching staff should all be fired.

To quicken that insanely stupid plan, you said you literally were (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/263978-Proud-of-this-team-so-far?p=5048014&viewfull=1#post5048014) "rooting for them to lose" their last TWELVE GAMES of 2023. And insufferably gloating because you thought that was "smart".

Well...no, it was not "smart". In fact it was one of the stupidest posts of the year.

So, it's obvious you are rooting for the Bills to FAIL, and you are accusing me, and by extension, the Bills organization akin to "selling timeshares". Unbelievably, you may have topped yourself in stupid posts as this one is even stupider that the "rooting" for them to lose.

I guess you think that YOU, or all people, know better than the years long effort by a large group of professional football people which goes into the deep dive into evaluating prospects for each draft.

The Athletic published a very interesting (Part 1) "behind the scene" look at what a NFL team (in this instance the LA Rams) of "One year...of the NFL Draft scouting process (https://theathletic.com/5461276/2024/05/02/nfl-draft-scouting-process-rams-behind-the-scenes/?source=pulsenewsletter&campaign=9697401&userId=13693837&source=scoopcity_newsletter&campaign=9698228&userId=13460465)"...detailing what a staff of about TWENTY FIVE professionals go though in evaluation talent in their full time jobs.

I'm curious, how many of the few things they mentioned (in part 1) that you have personally done???

-received, hours after the 2023 draft ended, a long list of prospects are distributed to the scouts...that began the...
-"....months spent by scouts on research, evaluation, discussions and debates" about these prospects.
-a multitude of school visits
-multitude of internal meetings of these evaluators sharing their findings
-months and months on the road scouting hundreds of prospects first hand
-each scout has an "area" of the country "who build profiles and evaluations of the players over multiple years...at games, practices and pro days"
-about 200 prospects are "cross checked" where other scouts supplement each other scouts work
-building years long relationships with college coaches
-countless hours in film rooms

How many colleges have you visited....college players have you personally met....been at their work outs....talked to their coaches....talked to their strength coaches....talked to their teammates...talked to their acquaintances....talked to their families...conduct background checks....????

And on and on and on.

It's easy to sit back on your couch, and gripe and ***** and moan like a grumpy blowhard who thinks he knows so much, but in reality, know a LOT LESS than he thinks he does.

DetoxTent
05-05-2024, 11:54 AM
There are not 3 picks that I like.

The center was the best. The safety can be ok. Coleman is the new James Hardy, until he isn't. The rest seem like special teams players.

notacon
05-05-2024, 12:15 PM
There are not 3 picks that I like.

The center was the best. The safety can be ok. Coleman is the new James Hardy, until he isn't. The rest seem like special teams players.

Your opinion is meaningless inside the Bills....obviously!

I suspect that your sour puss negativity will be shown to be silly. Probably early in 2024 season.