PDA

View Full Version : Things Worth Noting (very long)....

RedEyE
09-08-2003, 10:58 AM
Defense = A:

If they continue at that pace, it won't matter what our offense does. We will win every stinking game. I'll admit, I did not expect that type of cohesion right out of the starting gates. The fact that Milloy, 3 days a Bill, just clicks into the defensive scheme is nothing short of amazing.

The LBs did there job on every play. Spikes may have gotten the glory and the media hype, but Fletcher also had a great day clogging the middle with 6 solo tack., 7 assist. and 1 pass def. (Posey also playing his part well).

The D-Line....as expected the pass rush from the outside was nearly non-existant, but those boys were doing an amazing job sealing outside lanes. The pass rush from the inside was there when needed. Pat and Sam (The Dynamic Duo) are arguably the best tackle tandem in the league. They compliment each other extremely well and their presence on the field.....well just ask Tom Brady.

NE was trying to force the ball up the middle most of the game, and despite the score, I thought they did a decent job of it in the second half. The run stop for the Buffalo front 4 was a little soft in the middle. The Pats running trio combined for over 105 yards on the ground, Kevin Faulk being the most dangerous of the crew (BTW, A.Smith is finished). Faulk and Centers had multiple carries over 5 yards. Again the outside was well sealed, the middle seemingly soft, but who's complaining?

The Bills pass coverage was spectacular. Brady, despite having quite a bit of time to throw downfield, completed only one long pass all day. Brady didn't have any luck finding open Patriots in the red-zone. Clements, Winfield, Milloy, Wire, Thomas, etc.."owned" the Pats recievers. The dinks and dunks were worthless.

Offense = B:

The running game took a while to get going, but came through in the end. I really couldn't tell who's fault the Henry fumble belong to. I'm giving Henry the benefit of the doubt and chalking it up to a poor exchange. Drew looked decent, as decent as any immobile QB can. He was perfect in the 1st quarter but showed signs of fatigue (?) in the second. Which brings me to a disturbing point: Gilbride was using the pass to open the run again, and although it worked yesterday, Drew was obviously tired by the end of the second qrtr, missing some easy timing passes.

Kudo's to the pass block - well improved. Drew had wide passing lanes, and had all day to throw the football. Moulds was still finding the football through several Patriot double team attempts. Shaw may find himself 2nd reciever next week if Reed doesn't make a spark. I'm not going to even comment on the "gimme" pass he dropped, but I will say each pass he did drop were on vital downs and that doesn't cut it in the NFL. TEs looked phenomenal. You trying catching a TD pass with 17 stitches in your hand.

The run block was slow to develop. The line took a few minutes to get their act together. Gash was doing some amazing run blocking, despite Henry getting pounced on early in the game. by the end of the game the run block was again comparable to what it was last season. I'm feeling really good about the Gary trade now. Sammy Morris was having a great day

Side note: Teague's snapping was low all day, although Drew seemed to manage just fine.

Special Teams:

A. Brown was not getting the blocking that he needs for those long runs. He showed several times that he is plenty capable of busting one loose, but he wasn't getting any help from blocking.

Coy wire........give this guy a game ball. 3 days before the game he's told that he won't be starting at Safety. Respectably, he hands the position over to Milloy, professionaly, and without any harsh feelings. He comes into the game and shows Steve Tasker like abilities on Special Teams. He was all over the field! I really like this kid!

Lindell's leg looked a little weak on kick-offs.

Coaching = B:

Playing against the Pats up 21 - 0 at the end of the second qrtr. , ball on the 36 yrd line.........I say kick the field goal. Lindell should be able to come close on a 51 yarder. There was entirely too much time left in the game to be dicking around and going for it on 4th and 14, little time on the clock. What the hell was Williams thinking?

Gilbride still scares me...... Henry should have been in the mix more, burning up the clock in the second qrtr.

Gray, Lebeau, or Donahoe? Which one desereves credit for yesterday's defensive performance. Donahoe gave them the players, but which coach propelled the performance?

Earthquake Enyart
09-08-2003, 11:21 AM
Looked like we never saw a draw play before. At least we stopped the screens. The new LB's and Milloy make a world of difference.

The_Philster
09-08-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by RedEyE
Gray, Lebeau, or Donahoe? Which one desereves credit for yesterday's defensive performance. Donahoe gave them the players, but which coach propelled the performance?

I'd say LeBeau. Two of the more notable plays in the game (Sam Adams' INT and Lawyer Malloy's sack) were on zone blitzes

RedEyE
09-08-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster

I'd say LeBeau. Two of the more notable plays in the game (Sam Adams' INT and Lawyer Malloy's sack) were on zone blitzes

Great point Phil!

Bye-bye Gray?

Ingtar33
09-08-2003, 11:27 AM
Hard to stop the draw when you have 4 pass rushers (Williams and Adams barely played over the 2nd half, infavor of Kelsay, Denney, Edwards, and Schobel) on the field, and your two LBs are lining up 8 to 10 yards down field.

We were in a prevent/soft coverage starting in the 2nd half.

And how can you not mention Morman?

Judge
09-08-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
The new LB's and Milloy make a world of difference.

Exactly. We got the dead weight out of there (Eddie Robinson, Keith Newman, Coy Wire) and have some talent on the field now!

RedEyE
09-08-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Looked like we never saw a draw play before

No doubt......... I'm guessing they were hoping to get the Bills D to over commit.

Captain gameboy
09-08-2003, 11:44 AM
On the Henry fumble, it didn't look like there was anything wrong with the exchange on Bledsoe's part. Henry just butchered it.
I fully agree on Wire. he was Tasker'esque on ST's.

RedEyE
09-08-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by gameboy
On the Henry fumble, it didn't look like there was anything wrong with the exchange on Bledsoe's part. Henry just butchered it.

Hopefully that won't become a habit.....

mikemac2001
09-08-2003, 11:56 AM
the henry fumble fluke....if he fumbled during an actually run id be worried he just took his eye's off of it he made mistake nothing with how he was holding it

Judge
09-08-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by mikemac2001
he just took his eye's off of it

That's a problem-he has got to stay focused.

Captain gameboy
09-08-2003, 02:01 PM
I think both Travis and Reed are pressing. I thnk they both are trying to break it before they have posession.
Hopefully it's opening day jitters.

Mr. Miyagi
09-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Playing against the Pats up 21 - 0 at the end of the second qrtr. , ball on the 36 yrd line.........I say kick the field goal. Lindell should be able to come close on a 51 yarder. There was entirely too much time left in the game to be dicking around and going for it on 4th and 14, little time on the clock. What the hell was Williams thinking?

That "go-for-it" call was excusable, in fact maybe even a good call. They were at the 36, if Lindell missed the FG the Pats would get the ball there. Instead they went for it and Drew threw an INT at the 20, which stopped where it was.

They shaved off 16 yards in that play. I say good call.

RedEyE
09-08-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi

That "go-for-it" call was excusable, in fact maybe even a good call. They were at the 36, if Lindell missed the FG the Pats would get the ball there. Instead they went for it and Drew threw an INT at the 20, which stopped where it was.

They shaved off 16 yards in that play. I say good call.

If they miss the FG, the Pats have only :21 seconds to drive 64 yards. I say kick the ball. I guess either way it turned out to be just fine.

colin
09-08-2003, 02:43 PM
Defense = A:

If they continue at that pace, it won't matter what our offense does. We will win every stinking game. I'll admit, I did not expect that type of cohesion right out of the starting gates. The fact that Milloy, 3 days a Bill, just clicks into the defensive scheme is nothing short of amazing.

The LBs did there job on every play. Spikes may have gotten the glory and the media hype, but Fletcher also had a great day clogging the middle with 6 solo tack., 7 assist. and 1 pass def. (Posey also playing his part well).

The D-Line....as expected the pass rush from the outside was nearly non-existant, but those boys were doing an amazing job sealing outside lanes. The pass rush from the inside was there when needed. Pat and Sam (The Dynamic Duo) are arguably the best tackle tandem in the league. They compliment each other extremely well and their presence on the field.....well just ask Tom Brady.

NE was trying to force the ball up the middle most of the game, and despite the score, I thought they did a decent job of it in the second half. The run stop for the Buffalo front 4 was a little soft in the middle. The Pats running trio combined for over 105 yards on the ground, Kevin Faulk being the most dangerous of the crew (BTW, A.Smith is finished). Faulk and Centers had multiple carries over 5 yards. Again the outside was well sealed, the middle seemingly soft, but who's complaining?

The Bills pass coverage was spectacular. Brady, despite having quite a bit of time to throw downfield, completed only one long pass all day. Brady didn't have any luck finding open Patriots in the red-zone. Clements, Winfield, Milloy, Wire, Thomas, etc.."owned" the Pats recievers. The dinks and dunks were worthless.

Offense = B:

The running game took a while to get going, but came through in the end. I really couldn't tell who's fault the Henry fumble belong to. I'm giving Henry the benefit of the doubt and chalking it up to a poor exchange. Drew looked decent, as decent as any immobile QB can. He was perfect in the 1st quarter but showed signs of fatigue (?) in the second. Which brings me to a disturbing point: Gilbride was using the pass to open the run again, and although it worked yesterday, Drew was obviously tired by the end of the second qrtr, missing some easy timing passes.

Kudo's to the pass block - well improved. Drew had wide passing lanes, and had all day to throw the football. Moulds was still finding the football through several Patriot double team attempts. Shaw may find himself 2nd reciever next week if Reed doesn't make a spark. I'm not going to even comment on the "gimme" pass he dropped, but I will say each pass he did drop were on vital downs and that doesn't cut it in the NFL. TEs looked phenomenal. You trying catching a TD pass with 17 stitches in your hand.

The run block was slow to develop. The line took a few minutes to get their act together. Gash was doing some amazing run blocking, despite Henry getting pounced on early in the game. by the end of the game the run block was again comparable to what it was last season. I'm feeling really good about the Gary trade now. Sammy Morris was having a great day

Side note: Teague's snapping was low all day, although Drew seemed to manage just fine.

Special Teams:

A. Brown was not getting the blocking that he needs for those long runs. He showed several times that he is plenty capable of busting one loose, but he wasn't getting any help from blocking.

Coy wire........give this guy a game ball. 3 days before the game he's told that he won't be starting at Safety. Respectably, he hands the position over to Milloy, professionaly, and without any harsh feelings. He comes into the game and shows Steve Tasker like abilities on Special Teams. He was all over the field! I really like this kid!

Lindell's leg looked a little weak on kick-offs.

Coaching = B:

Gilbride still scares me...... Henry should have been in the mix more, burning up the clock in the second qrtr.

Travis ran 28 times for 86 yards. How many times should he run with how poor of results before you think he is in the mix enough?

The fumble was entirely on Travis too.

Drew played well, even though he did not have to do much. Travis did not play well, but was there to punch in the easy scores.

Do you want every play to be a 2 yard run, 60 runs for 120 yards a game?

Novacane
09-08-2003, 02:53 PM
It was a 54 yard FG. I am sure they knew from pre-game warmups if Lindell could get it there from that distance. I have no problem with that decision.

I would not be suprised if they had a fake called since NE called a TO after they saw the lineup and then we changed and brought out the offense.

GW deserves some credit too. Everyone would have been blasting him if we lost but we play a near perfect game and he gets no credit whatsoever?

RedEyE
09-08-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by colin

Travis ran 28 times for 86 yards. How many times should he run with how poor of results before you think he is in the mix enough?

The fumble was entirely on Travis too.

Drew played well, even though he did not have to do much. Travis did not play well, but was there to punch in the easy scores.

Do you want every play to be a 2 yard run, 60 runs for 120 yards a game?

Just noticed that myself Colin. Those are actually good rushing #s. I would, however, rather see the run to set up the pass then the other way around, but perhaps that was just part of Gilbrides game plan this week. Next week will tell. We should run all over Jaxville.

Despite the fumble, Travis played well. The OL was having a little trouble opening holes against their DL in the first half. Thankfully, they eventually wore them down.

Voltron
09-08-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
And how can you not mention Morman?

:up:

No kidding!!! a 70 yard punt is nothing to shake a stick at. I am very excited we got him for a long contract!

RedEyE
09-08-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
It was a 54 yard FG. I am sure they knew from pre-game warmups if Lindell could get it there from that distance. I have no problem with that decision.

I would not be suprised if they had a fake called since NE called a TO after they saw the lineup and then we changed and brought out the offense.

GW deserves some credit too. Everyone would have been blasting him if we lost but we play a near perfect game and he gets no credit whatsoever?

Good point, I mis-calculated earlier. I stand corrected, it was a good call.

RedEyE
09-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Voltron

No kidding!!! a 70 yard punt is nothing to shake a stick at. I am very excited we got him for a long contract!

Moorman rocked didn't he? So many positve things happening on the field it's easy to forget the punter.

colin
not even 3.5 yards a carry.

Our passing O was good, we were 2 drops away from a career day for our passing O. Our rushing O was bad, mix in the 3 holding penalties, we just did not get it done.

We tend to pass too much, but on Sunday we would have been better to pass more.

Mr. Miyagi
Originally posted by Voltron

Damn right. At the bar, the 2 Pats fans sitting next to me were like "WOW HOLY CRAP!!!" every time Moorman punted the ball. That felt good. :D

Kelly The Dog
09-08-2003, 05:52 PM
There were not a lot of holes for Travis to run too. He was smacked immediately on many carries. He got the most out of what was available to him, it's not like he was missing holes, making bad decisions, losing his footing, slow to the hole, or not breaking tackles he should have been breaking. He ran very hard for those 87 yards and I doubt there are many backs in the league that would have gotten more than 87 yards on those identical handoffs. He also had two touchdowns that were excellent runs, especially the second, and caught a couple nice passes for first downs. Travis played a very good game against a tough defense.

Furthermore, it looked to me like Bledsoe slid the ball into his gut rather than handed it. I will split the blame on that one.

And lastly, and probably most importantly, often it is the number of carries that a player gets that are almost as important as how many yards a RB gets. Any player with 28 carries means a pretty good game. Otherwise, your offense is off the field, the coach doesnt call your number, etc. 28 carries is almost ALWAYS a good game for an RB.

BillsFever
09-08-2003, 06:27 PM
At least you can do is know the facts before you throw a fit. I couldn't believe what I was reading. I thought maybe you were thinking of the Miami/Texans game instead.